Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bishop Eamon Casey dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

He's being put in a crypt ........a septic tank is all the poor Tuam babies got......no proper burials for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Thread title needs to be changed.

Wasn't a bishop when he croaked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

JupiterKid wrote: »
    RIP Eamonn Casey. I remember the "scandal" well. It was early 1992 and I was turning 17. Already disillusioned with religion and the church, it was what made me decide to stop going to mass for good. I argued with my Dad over this decision but he eventually came around. I was disgusted with the hypocrisy as I saw it on Casey's part. I was also disgusted at Gaybo's later treatment of Annie Murphy on the Late Late. His son Peter would be around my age.

Oh, but how all innocent it seems in hindsight. Compared to Fr Brendan Smyth, the Goldenbridge orphanage revelations and the tidal wave of sickening scandal after scandal that followed, Casey's peccadilloes were minor. Yes, he was a flawed individual but aren't we all? Who can claim to be perfect? Casey also did a lot of good work in his time. The way the Church treated him was appalling - especially compared to the way they shielded child rapists.

QUOTE]

How do we know, given his position, he didn't actively cover up abuse in his own parishes by moving priests to other locations that were molesting children ? At the very least he must have got whiff of these abuse scandals. Did he seek to investigate them and right the wrongs?

If not he is just as bad as the rest who had the authority to do something but didn't. I suspect he liked his bmw and the high regard he was held in by people at the time to do anything. Afterall the meek will have their reward in heaven . But yeah he gave someone a lift and was great craic to boot, that gives him a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

jiltloop wrote: »
    Can you not see the irony in your stance? On one hand you say you pity people who believe in and follow the church and on the other you criticize Casey for breaking one of the rules of the church. Why do you seem to be protective of the sanctity of the rule that Casey broke but derisory about the rules that religious people follow? :confused:

No I don't see any irony whatsoever.

Religious people believe in god and the church.

They have strict rules that according to its leaders must be followed. Believers lead their lives according to these rules.

Casey as one of the church's senior leaders in Ireland was someone who should have set the example to his flock and is then discovered to have fathered a child and stolen funds.

For me I personally don't care that he broke the church's rules but I don't understand how catholics can say 'Ah that's fine, he was a good man", "He didn't do anything bad' or 'Look what came after'.
    Just think you must be extremely gullible to support that and also stand behind a church that protected him and also other scandals that followed.

Finally, you don't have to be religious in anyway to find stealing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

downwesht wrote: »
    He's being put in a crypt ........a septic tank is all the poor Tuam babies got......no proper burials for them...

He was the Bishop of Galway, not Tuam, tbf

• Advertisement

So he stole it and gave it to her anyway.

We he gave it to her, thats for certain :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Bredabe

murpho999 wrote: »
    No I don't see any irony whatsoever.

Religious people believe in god and the church.

The have strict rules that according to its leaders must be followed. Believers lead their lives according to these rules.

Casey as one of the church's senior leaders in Ireland was someone who should have set the example to his flock and is then discovered to have fathered a child and stolen funds.

For me I personally don't care that he broke the church's rules but I don't understand how catholics can say 'Ah that's fine, he was a good man", "He didn't do anything bad' or 'Look what came after'.
    Just think you must be extremely gullible to support that and also stand behind a church that protected him and also other scandals that followed.

Finally, you don't have to be religious in anyway to find stealing wrong.

I asked much the same questions on a thread yesterday, I was abused for it and was told he had just died-tho this thread is much closer to the announcement, I still can't understand why it was ok for him to break the rules of his job and the law of the land AND be welcomed into the cathedral by senior members of management, who I wonder is paying for the funeral.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    I asked much the same questions on a thread yesterday, I was abused for it and was told he had just died-tho this thread is much closer to the announcement, I still can't understand why it was ok for him to break the rules of his job and the law of the land AND be welcomed into the cathedral by senior members of management, who I wonder is paying for the funeral.

Forgiveness is a big thing in the RCC

snowflaker wrote: »
    Forgiveness is a big thing in the RCC
    Sadly it was reserved for the likes of him, the women and babies in tuam dont seem to be so lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

He was the Bishop of Galway, not Tuam, tbf

Buishop of Galway, which is a sub-diocese of Tuam. In other words, Tuam is the "province", Galway is the "county".

he had to have known stuff and heard rumours. He certainly knew of the Industrial Schools, Magdalene Laundries, priests being moved "because they were misbehaving" and the like. There's no way that a man that senior in the clergy, having being ordained in 1951 and being a Bishop since 1969, knew absolutely nothing at all.

There's a serious Omerta around the Church and all the nasty stuff that went on in and around it.

For those who say he repaid the money; it was only repaid after he was caught. He never voluntarily offered to pay any of it back. So that doesn't make it any better.

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote: »
    Buishop of Galway, which is a sub-diocese of Tuam. In other words, Tuam is the "province", Galway is the "county".

he had to have known stuff and heard rumours. He certainly knew of the Industrial Schools, Magdalene Laundries, priests being moved "because they were misbehaving" and the like. There's no way that a man that senior in the clergy, having being ordained in 1951 and being a Bishop since 1969, knew absolutely nothing at all.

There's a serious Omerta around the Church and all the nasty stuff that went on in and around it.

For those who say he repaid the money; it was only repaid after he was caught. He never voluntarily offered to pay any of it back. So that doesn't make it any better.

Its been pointed out to me, that his "bosses" forgave him his transgressions, what I dont get is ordinary people letting him away so lightly, if an others stole,broke their vows, deserted his family, there would be ructions.

Wasn't the money he stole repaid by someone else on his behalf and not by him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Zebra3 wrote: »

Yes, someone else paid it back for him. I remember when the scandal broke, I was home in Galway on a holiday and went to mass on the Sunday, the priest read out a letter from Eamonn telling people they needed to contribute more money in the collections and dues. A couple of days later when the scandal broke people suddenly knew the real reason why he had sent the letter to all the churches in the diocese looking for more money.

It's nauseating to see how the creeping jesus brigade are so quick to make excuses for him considering he was a hypocrite and a thief. He had no problem with priests under him vilifying families from the altar if an unmarried girl got pregnant.

He certainly knew what was going on with regard to the scandals that came later. He used his position to break the law when he got behind the wheel as the gardai turned a blind eye to his excessive speeding though the police in the UK didn't care about his position on the occasions he was caught speeding.

Having said that he was very charismatic when you'd meet him unlike his miserable predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Ludikrus

Its been pointed out to me, that his "bosses" forgave him his transgressions, what I dont get is ordinary people letting him away so lightly, if an others stole,broke their vows, deserted his family, there would be ructions.

It must be tough being perfect.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    It must be tough being perfect.

Im not perfect nor did I say I was, I didn't take and then ignore MY VOWS when suited me, while preaching the opposite to others. Its attitudes like yours I dont understand, we all know what he did, yet ppl are falling over themselves to defend his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Im not perfect nor did I say I was, I didn't take and then ignore MY VOWS when suited me, while preaching the opposite to others. Its attitudes like yours I dont understand, we all know what he did, yet ppl are falling over themselves to defend his actions.

I hope none of his family post on this site and see the likes of you and others on this thread putting the boot in when he is just after being buried.

A lot of people turning up today for the funeral of a thief and hypocrite.

Good old Ireland, eh?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

A lot of people turning up today for the funeral of a thief and hypocrite.

Good old Ireland, eh?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Let he who has not sinned etc...

He couldnt over rule the Archbishop tbf. Blaming Casey for Tuam is pretty thing gruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Chief mourners in attendance included Bishop Casey’s sister-in-law Vera Casey, nephews Pat Casey TD and Michael Clifford, nieces Helena O’Hara, Ita Furlong, Helena Donovan, and Helena Casey.

The overflow attendance included President Michael D Higgins. Lt Col Kieran Carey represented Taoiseach Enda Kenny who is in the US. Politicians present included Eamon O Cuiv TD, Senator Terry Leyden, and former ministers Brendan Daly and Noel Treacy. Many people were standing in the Cathedral which has a capacity of 1,600.

Bishop Casey was interred afterwards in the crypt under the cathedral.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/bishop-eamonn-casey-s-hidden-realities-recalled-at-funeral-mass-1.3013317

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

He still stole it and only returned it after being caught. I had my car broken into and stuff robbed out of it by the village/parish alcoholic. His Dad paid me back in full and was totally apologetic. Still doesn't mean that his shlt of a son didn't rob me.
    He couldnt over rule the Archbishop tbf. Blaming Casey for Tuam is pretty thing gruel.

I never blamed him for Tuam. I doubt he knew the full extent of the deaths. What I said was that he was well aware of the general mistreatment of people in those homes, he never blew the whistle on his superiors. That was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,106 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Haven't read the thread.

Do people think Annie Murphy was the only woman he impregnated? What's the odds of that?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

Man, I wouldn't mind getting down into those crypts underneath those cathedrals. I'd say them bishops down there are gilded up like Mr.T & Tutankhamun with all those gold rings, chains, hats and staffs.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

He was vocal about the US murder machine in the Americas wasn't he?

Let he who has not sinned etc...

There's no such thing as sin. It's a nonsensical term created by religious extremists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,593 ✭✭✭✭elperello

De mortuis nil nisi bonum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭applehunter

There's no such thing as sin. It's a nonsensical term created by religious extremists.

Sin is very much part of Christianity.

Who are these religious extremists you speak about?

I hope none of his family post on this site and see the likes of you and others on this thread putting the boot in when he is just after being buried.
    I didn't start this thread, so blame the person who did, also mine is not the first critical post. So why pick on me?

Having been bereaved myself several times over, Im fairly sure the family will not be here reading posts about their late family member, unless they self destructive, then they have other problems that me speaking the truth.

Tho I am curious why you feel the need to respond to my post in such a way, the catholism I grew into taught me that mine wasn't the only valid opinion and if that upset or disturbed me, then lashing out wasn't the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

If only Casey's last wish and request was to be buried alongside the Tuam babies in the current resting place . . then that would have been truly Catholic and Christian for a Galway Bishop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,106 ✭✭✭✭Esel

......... wrote: »
    If only Casey's last wish and request was to be buried alongside the Tuam babies in the current resting place . . then that would have been truly Catholic and Christian for a Galway Bishop.

We could exhume the children's bodies and place them in the crypt with him.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement