Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Roisin_Law

I'm devastated with my results! I came out of Equity and Property so happy and I got 42 and 45 but came out of contract convinced I failed at I got 50. I don't understand!!! I'll have to get them rechecked :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Roisin_Law wrote: »
    I'm devastated with my results! I came out of Equity and Property so happy and I got 42 and 45 but came out of contract convinced I failed at I got 50. I don't understand!!! I'll have to get them rechecked :-(

Seems a very common complaint and I have the same. If you had a decent knowledge of property the questions were very straightforward so really should get a pass. If they are failing people to keep in line with average marks and pass rates it is not right. Need to get a 42 to 50 so I feel your pain. Thought the waiting would be over. Another 6 weeks :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Gomzu wrote: »
    Passed my final two!!! Now to get a traineeship :)

Well done. And we'll done to all that passed.
    I passed in October and now am considering... almost certain... I'm off to Kings Inns instead.

Abandoning a traineeship. Am I mad? Maybe.

Anyone stuck for a Traineeship then approach small firms and offer to pay your own PPC1/ start in-office in April.
    It'll cost you (get a loan) but at least you'll be snapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Jimdtug1

Anybody pass constitutional? I was convinced i had gotten 60+ and only got 45. In shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lostudent

Well done. And we'll done to all that passed.
    I passed in October and now am considering... almost certain... I'm off to Kings Inns instead.

Abandoning a traineeship. Am I mad? Maybe.

Not mad at all. Being a solicitor isn't for everyone, and there's nothing harder than having the courage to let a career path go after putting in so much work - plenty of people continue down paths they hate just because of sunk cost fallacy. It's easy for law students to get caught in the trap of chasing a glamorous goal that doesn't exist.

What I will say though is that my experience with barristers is that they've got it far worse than solicitors at the trainee stage, and have a far far higher burnout rate.

Rather than potentially jumping from one frying pan into a fire, I'd recommend trying as a paralegal in a different environment, like in-house legal departments. I abandoned a top 5 firm traineeship after realising I really wasn't happy in that environment, and now I work with an in-house legal team doing a job I actually love (with some former barristers, actually). Lots of companies need legal execs and paralegals, so if you are interested in law but not a traditional traineeship, maybe try that for a few months. You might even be able to work with some barristers who could give you a steer.

Of course, I'm a random internet stranger so my unsolicited advice should be taken with a mountain of salt. But you're not the first to get to this stage and decide to make a change, and you won't be the last!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Freckley201

Jimdtug1 wrote: »
    Anybody pass constitutional? I was convinced i had gotten 60+ and only got 45. In shock.

Ditto!! Thought it was my best and got 43. Passed the others and I thought I failed

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JP25

What are people getting in EU? Thought it was definitely my worst and got 59.

Lostudent wrote: »
    Not mad at all. Being a solicitor isn't for everyone, and there's nothing harder than having the courage to let a career path go after putting in so much work - plenty of people continue down paths they hate just because of sunk cost fallacy. It's easy for law students to get caught in the trap of chasing a glamorous goal that doesn't exist.

What I will say though is that my experience with barristers is that they've got it far worse than solicitors at the trainee stage, and have a far far higher burnout rate.

Rather than potentially jumping from one frying pan into a fire, I'd recommend trying as a paralegal in a different environment, like in-house legal departments. I abandoned a top 5 firm traineeship after realising I really wasn't happy in that environment, and now I work with an in-house legal team doing a job I actually love (with some former barristers, actually). Lots of companies need legal execs and paralegals, so if you are interested in law but not a traditional traineeship, maybe try that for a few months. You might even be able to work with some barristers who could give you a steer.

Of course, I'm a random internet stranger so my unsolicited advice should be taken with a mountain of salt. But you're not the first to get to this stage and decide to make a change, and you won't be the last!

You talk a lot of sense. I have been in practice about a year now so I know what solicitor life is. A lot of people chase the idea of it, the job title, then realise it's not all it cracks up to be.
    I have 2 law degrees and almost did a PhD so I'm well suited to research and the barrister role.
    Also, I have a second income stream so it would soften the blow.
    Not being happy is an indication something's wrong. Listen to your hearts folks.
    Also, if you've failed FE1s today don't be disheartened. If it means a year out so be it. Embrace it. Enjoy it. Reevaluate possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ethan90

Aoife2012 wrote: »
    Hi, could someone please tell me what dates the spring sittings are? (or usually are if they haven't been scheduled yet) Thanks.

The next sitting will be in October but you get the dates with your results letter.

The spring sitting this year started March 12ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Got my last 2 with 56 in constitutional and 64 in EU.
    Shocked with the second I really left myself short on time to cram for EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Jimdtug1 wrote: »

I just scraped a pass but likewise thought it was my best exam! The paper was quite specific so maybe it was marked harshly? 45 is worth a recheck though

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JHalpin

channing90 wrote: »
    I got 43 in Contract, is it too much for it to be brought up in recheck ?

I got 42 in Contract and I'm hoping to do a recheck. This would bring me up to the magic three so I'm praying. I've seen a few success stories in relation to rechecks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Insta92

Delighted to have another two FE 1s checked off the list. Got 70% in Criminal and 58% in EU.

Now onto the final three in October: Constitution, Equity and Property. Reading some of the comments has me nervous for these ones. Seems like the examiners can mark excessively hard.

Insta92 wrote: »
    Delighted to have another two FE 1s checked off the list. Got 70% in Criminal and 58% in EU.

Now onto the final three in October: Constitution, Equity and Property. Reading some of the comments has me nervous for these ones. Seems like the examiners can mark excessively hard.

I'd prob apportion my study time 30/50/20% respectively. Albeit, it's all subjective!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Erica b

Can anybody else who got over 50 in 4 of the exams tell me if their letter from the Law Society says "although you have not passed..." and sets out process for recheck?!?! I'm so confused! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 demarche

Erica b wrote: »
    Can anybody else who got over 50 in 4 of the exams tell me if their letter from the Law Society says "although you have not passed..." and sets out process for recheck?!?! I'm so confused! Thanks!

It just means you haven’t passed all 8 exams. Nothing to worry about

Hoping for the best with a recheck to get the magic 3 but not holding out too much hope. Going to double down for October. Which two do people think are the hardest/biggest sope? Constitution and EU? Think I’m going to start Criminal, Contract and maybe Equity. Try one subject a month. Go back to the three I just did again in August, Tort, Company and Property and go for those 6 if I can in October. Any words of warning/advice on that approach is welcomed. Think I can get a good knowledge on the 3 I did and I want to progress with a few more intop. Sickened I didn’t get the 3 this time.

Daly29 wrote: »
    Hoping for the best with a recheck to get the magic 3 but not holding out too much hope. Going to double down for October. Which two do people think are the hardest/biggest sope? Constitution and EU? Think I’m going to start Criminal, Contract and maybe Equity. Try one subject a month. Go back to the three I just did again in August, Tort, Company and Property and go for those 6 if I can in October. Any words of warning/advice on that approach is welcomed. Think I can get a good knowledge on the 3 I did and I want to progress with a few more intop. Sickened I didn’t get the 3 this time.

Maybe do the 3 you sat and Equity (high fail rate) + Constitutional in October.
    Keep the easier Contract and Criminal to March 2020 (and EU).
    If you fail any in October you'll have March 2020 sitting.

Those 5 for October are doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Hi guys, second attempt at getting the magic 3 and left disappointed again! I got 58 in criminal, 56 in equity and 45 in property.. The last time I sat property in October I went in totally unprepared and could only answer 4 questions and just took a stab in the dark with my 5th question and came out with 51!

Nevertheless I have nothing to lose by going for a recheck for property.. Anyone here ever get brought up 5% in a recheck?

I genuinely thought I failed criminal this time but it ended up being my best paper.. These exams are so hard to gage what a good paper is!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castle123

Hope the results went the right way for everyone. If they didn’t - keep at it and you’ll get there in the end.

I finally got my 8th pass having to sit Equity for a 4th time. As long as you are persistent and keep at it you’ll get over the line. There were countless times I felt fed up by passing the other 7 first time and tripping up on Equity over and over again. But not giving up and focusing on the next sitting is key.

Thanks for all the inputs in to this group. Hugely helped me. Goodluck all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Hey guys, just a quick note to say thanks to everyone for help throughout the FE1s. I just passed Constitutional to get my eight exam and can say without doubt that this forum was a massive help to me. I couldn't bare to open the results until just now.

When I was in the Red Cow coming out of Constitutional in March, I bumped into a few people who asked me how I got on. I told them it was my last and that it had went well. They looked both impressed and disheartened. They then asked how I had managed to get through the first 7 as they were still stuck on the magic 3 after 3 attempts. They said that they were going to give up.

I think it is important to tell people that I had passed 2/3 in three attempts at the magic three. I was so close to giving up so many times (I couldn't handle all the questions from extended family, friends, colleagues etc but eventually decided, screw them. I had my own goal and I would give it one or if needed even two more attempts.) I then managed to get 3/4 on my fourth attempt. After getting the magic three, I managed to fly through the exams I sat.

What I am getting at here is that these exams took me around 3 years (just one year less than my degree and masters!) but once you get over the magic three, it becomes so much easier mentally to get through the exams. There is much less pressure. You learn from previous exams.

Some people fly them and some people like me don't but it is so satisfying to get through them especially when you have a big struggle with them at the start. Don't give up and don't be put off by people who get them in 2 sittings.

Best of luck all and by the way, rechecks are worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Failed 3 of my 4 with 41,42, and 43. Was genuinely gobsmacked as I expected to pass at least three, really thought I had done well. I’ve applied to view them but generally speaking is there any hope with rechecks and those marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭BasedHobbes

Ethan90 wrote: »
    I don't think they publish a pass rate. Some examiners mention it in their exam report.

The Peart report also has historic pass rates for all subjects listed.

Failed 3 of my 4 with 41,42, and 43. Was genuinely gobsmacked as I expected to pass at least three, really thought I had done well. I’ve applied to view them but generally speaking is there any hope with rechecks and those marks?

I have seen it written that it’s a case of checking the score has been added up correctly. Find that hard to believe since quiet a few get moved up....Unlikely but there’s a chance. I would if I thought I did OK. I’m getting a 42 rechecked. Trying not to get my hopes anyway up as I was pretty sickened to see I didn’t pass the 3. Anyway, In short, you have an awful lot to gain and €300 odd to lose. I would.

I've passed the FE1s (after much heartache) which is quite ironic I'm going to Kings Inns now instead. Anyways, I rechecked on 2 occasions on my FE1 Odyssey and regretted wasting 115 a pop. I'm not saying that to discourage you though, I'm saying it to be careful giving them ANOTHER 345 euro!!
    The recheck isn't a re-grading. It's a calculator task which they feel they can fleece people for. Out if interest what exams were they?

I've passed the FE1s (after much heartache) which is quite ironic I'm going to Kings Inns now instead. Anyways, I rechecked on 2 occasions on my FE1 Odyssey and regretted wasting 115 a pop. I'm not saying that to discourage you though, I'm saying it to be careful giving them ANOTHER 345 euro!!
    The recheck isn't a re-grading. It's a calculator task which they feel they can fleece people for. Out if interest what exams were they?

Hmm, ya I've seen people say it's just totting the numbers up again. If someone is making a mistake in basic maths on a few occasions more controls need to be in place, like having someone who can add numbers together. It should say that that is the what you are paying for. I'm guessing your two rechecks stayed exactly the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Equity, Constitutional, Contract

Equity, Constitutional, Contract

My rechecks were both in Equity. That exam was my Achilles heel.
    Yep, stayed the same so was a waste imho.
    If you had one recheck I'd say give it a go.... but three.... let's be honest here.... KEEP YOUR MONEY!!

You should do 4 or 5 next sitting if you can manage it. Criminal and Property are generally easier for most people.
    Add these and revise the 3 you've done too. Spend your money on them 5 !!
    You'll probably fail one (sorry for the pessomism) but if you pass 3 or 4.... bingo!!

My rechecks were both in Equity. That exam was my Achilles heel.
    Yep, stayed the same so was a waste imho.
    If you had one recheck I'd say give it a go.... but three.... let's be honest here.... KEEP YOUR MONEY!!

You should do 4 or 5 next sitting if you can manage it. Criminal and Property are generally easier for most people.
    Add these and revise the 3 you've done too. Spend your money on them 5 !!
    You'll probably fail one (sorry for the pessomism) but if you pass 3 or 4.... bingo!!

They did do 4, passed 1 so needs 2 out of the 3 to be significantly raised on a recheck. Agree that it’s more likely to be a waste of money. Guess it’s up to them if they want to risk wasting €345.

Agree on doing 4 or 5 as suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 DoomDaDa

3rd time sitting these exams, with the hopes of getting the magic three.....another failed attempt :'(

I'm at a loss now...but I'm going to try and give 5 a go in October. Am I crazy to continue down this rabbit hole that I can't seem to escape?

Maybe I'm approaching study wrong....any advice would be much appreciated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement