Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Notions

Hey guys,

Just wondering for Succession. Anyone have an idea what’s most likely, Extrinsic Evidence, creation, s.117 or spousal rights.

Looking to really focus on particular areas and know others that may need to be mentioned obiter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Wow.

I really don’t know to feel about that.

All of the topics came up that I wanted but I panicked a bit when I got my exam paper. Before I knew it, 10 minutes had passed and I hadn’t even picked my questions. Really threw me off it took about 30 minutes to steady myself.

I did Question 5 but there was no way I could strictly apply the IRAC method to that. There is literally no time to even think with that type of question!

How did everyone else find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Anyone have the topics for that? I seem to have misplaced my exam script

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Notions

Avoid post-mortems or you’ll depress yourself! Write it off as done! Speaking from experience
    Wow.

All of the topics came up that I wanted but I panicked a bit when I got my exam paper. Before I knew it, 10 minutes had passed and I hadn’t even picked my questions. Really threw me off it took about 30 minutes to steady myself.

I did Question 5 but there was no way I could strictly apply the IRAC method to that. There is literally no time to even think with that type of question!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Wow.

I personally forgot a lot of case law so that was a bit annoying, and didn't have to wrap my fifth question (did the 4 part one, had 3 min to finish the Alan's part, hummm...) but I'm more hopeful than for tort aha.

Now onnnto constitutional!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Constitutional

1. President/AG
    2. Amending the Constitution
    3. Judicial Review
    4. Findings of Unconstitutionality
    5. SOP
    6. Due Course
    7. Limiting & Balancing Rights
    8. Personal Rights
    9. Property Rights
    10. Equality
    11. Freedom of Expression
    12. Family & Education

I'm hoping to cover the above for Friday. Topics 7-12 will only be barely covered as I haven't covered them yet! Do you think a vague study of the above will be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Wow.

It always seems worse in hindsight! If Q5 was your biggest issue then that in itself is a positive.

For Q1 I said that Norah couldn't couldn't rely on Irresistible impulse. Only after reading the paper out of the exam I realised she most likely could have, cause a literal psychiatrist said so

Hopefully Kilcommins takes my word over the psychiatrist :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

JCormac wrote: »
    It always seems worse in hindsight! If Q5 was your biggest issue then that in itself is a positive.

For Q1 I said that Norah couldn't couldn't rely on Irresistible impulse. Only after reading the paper out of the exam I realised she most likely could have, cause a literal psychiatrist said so

Hopefully Kilcommins takes my word over the psychiatrist :rolleyes:

Even if you're wrong (by way of misreading) he's gonna take note and perhaps penalise a mark, 2 if he's feeling nasty but he's not a nasty guy, but if you show you understand the law and just applied it wrong that has to stand to you overall. In a lot of cases in these exams the conclusions are not dead certain, it's probabilities and the likes!

Also, wow great call everyone on bail and what not, I learned it last night and this morning to a pretty good level and without it I was done!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

scooby321 wrote: »
    Constitutional

1. President/AG
    2. Amending the Constitution
    3. Judicial Review
    4. Findings of Unconstitutionality
    5. SOP
    6. Due Course
    7. Limiting & Balancing Rights
    8. Personal Rights
    9. Property Rights
    10. Equality
    11. Freedom of Expression
    12. Family & Education

I'm hoping to cover the above for Friday. Topics 7-12 will only be barely covered as I haven't covered them yet! Do you think a vague study of the above will be enough?

Mine is similar so hopefully. I find the exam papers are just so hit and miss for constitutional, moreso than the others..

Good god I'm so tired I can't read and I've 2 more days in a row, oh no

• Advertisement

Am I correct in my understanding that this allows you to break a joint tenancy and become a tenant in common whereas the old way was a Use ?

Conveyance to oneself.

66.— (1) Any property may be conveyed by a person to that person jointly with another person in the same way in which it might be conveyed by that person to another person.

[LPAA 1859, s. 21][CA 1881, s. 50]

(2) Subject to subsection (3)—

(a) a person may convey, but not lease, property to that same person in a different capacity,

(b) two or more persons may convey, and have always been capable of conveying, any property vested in them to any one or more of themselves in the same way in which they could convey it to a third person.

(3) Subsection (2) does not validate a conveyance made in breach of trust or other fiduciary obligation.

(4) Without prejudice to section 83 , this section does not affect any rule of law under which a covenant entered into with oneself is unenforceable

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

My guess would be an essay question on LRS and 117, perhaps constricting testamentary freedom. There was a fairly extensive LRC Report on 117 published in 2017 so perhaps reform Q an option. Extrinsic is very popular but it has come up the last 3 sittings. Problem maybe on revocation and potential intestacy perhaps.

I say that with no real confidence.

I am covering all of Succesion so take that with a pinch of salt. Plus I have been wrong in Tort and Company.
    Notions wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just wondering for Succession. Anyone have an idea what’s most likely, Extrinsic Evidence, creation, s.117 or spousal rights.

Looking to really focus on particular areas and know others that may need to be mentioned obiter.

How are people planning on handling a Registration Essay Q if it comes up?

Besides regurgitating the differences between Registered & Unregistered and a bit on E-Conveyancing, I'm lost

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lisac223

JCormac wrote: »
    How are people planning on handling a Registration Essay Q if it comes up?

Besides regurgitating the differences between Registered & Unregistered and a bit on E-Conveyancing, I'm lost

I have an essay done out just re the history of it, the 1707 act, move from an assertive title system, the Registry of Deeds and Office of land registry to the 2006 Act creating the PRA, how they're registered, mirror principle and crack in the mirror principle, s(69) and s(72) burdens, and equitable concept of priorities with a short para re e-conveyancing! If you wanna have a look shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. It's got absolutely everything (prob too much) but that's what I'm using as my base knowing that I'll prob forget half of it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Can someday list what came up for criminal so I can get peace on mind please ?
    :(

Looking at Adverse Possession in Property. Essay question on future intended use or perhaps reform (Oct 15) me thinks. It would be the fifth very similar problem question in a row if he goes that again.

lisac223 wrote: »
    I have an essay done out just re the history of it, the 1707 act, move from an assertive title system, the Registry of Deeds and Office of land registry to the 2006 Act creating the PRA, how they're registered, mirror principle and crack in the mirror principle, s(69) and s(72) burdens, and equitable concept of priorities with a short para re e-conveyancing! If you wanna have a look shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. It's got absolutely everything (prob too much) but that's what I'm using as my base knowing that I'll prob forget half of it lol

Bless you :o

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fe1hayes

jewels652 wrote: »
    Can someday list what came up for criminal so I can get peace on mind please ?
    :(

Honestly there is no point in this. I never do this after exams and have done 7 the best way forward is just study for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJM95

Anyone staying in the red cow know if you can check out after you exam or do you have to be checked out before hand?

AJM95 wrote: »
    Anyone staying in the red cow know if you can check out after you exam or do you have to be checked out before hand?

My friend stayed for hers and checked out afterwards. Most people check out before, but i dont think its the end of the world to wait til after!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Hi - sorry if I’m stupid and this shows how unprepared I am - but what’s the land registry essay? Is this a certain to come up?

Panicking now about property tomorrow and trying to get the best out of a terrible situation

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nimcdona

Sineaddh wrote: »
    Hi - sorry if I’m stupid and this shows how unprepared I am - but what’s the land registry essay? Is this a certain to come up?

Panicking now about property tomorrow and trying to get the best out of a terrible situation

Don't worry, all in the same boat. its not a certainty but its due up basically just talking about registration of title and deeds act - history and Property registration Authority new system under that etc

Think the general consenus of what is most likely to come up is for sure two sucession Qs, very very likely one on Easments and another on Adverse Possession. Then people are picking 3 others as back up. Generally Finding, Co-Ownership and Land Registry. Land Registry is not garunteed though. About as likely as Finding and Co-Ownership.

Oct 2017 Question 1 - Generally comes up in some form of the below.

According to the Property Registration Authority of Ireland,
    By international comparison, Ireland has a very extensive and well developed
    system of land registration. Since the foundation of the Land Registry in 1892,
    there has been a gradual, ongoing and continuous programme of movement away
    from the older and limited system of recording deeds (in the Registry of Deeds), to
    the more modern, flexible and comprehensive ‘title registration’ system provided
    through the Land Registry.
    In light of the above statement, critically assess the development and operation of the
    system for recording property transactions in relation to property in Ireland.
    Sineaddh wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Thanks so much! Do you think at this stage by best bet is adverse possession, succession, easements, finding and the land reg essay? Concerned about size of topics too so that’s why I’m thinking these

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Hey,

For Constitutional, I am covering:

President/ AG/ Interpretation/ Referendum
    SOP
    Personal rights
    Property rights
    Trial in Due Course
    Fair Procedures
    Equality
    Judicial Review
    Right to die (you never know)
    Religion
    Freedom of association/ assembly/ expression
    Proportionality/ LS/ mootness/ vagueness etc.

Also have ECHR but don't massively understand it.
    Basically, don't have any cases prepped (just think it's such a shot in the dark) and the family.

Do people think I am safe, or should I learn family tonight? Naturally cautious after last year, and with the case note you're sort of already down to 7 Qs.

Hey,

For Constitutional, I am covering:

President/ AG/ Interpretation/ Referendum
    SOP
    Personal rights
    Property rights
    Trial in Due Course
    Fair Procedures
    Equality
    Judicial Review
    Right to die (you never know)
    Religion
    Freedom of association/ assembly/ expression
    Proportionality/ LS/ mootness/ vagueness etc.

Also have ECHR but don't massively understand it.
    Basically, don't have any cases prepped (just think it's such a shot in the dark) and the family.

Do people think I am safe, or should I learn family tonight? Naturally cautious after last year, and with the case note you're sort of already down to 7 Qs.

Hey, I'm doing the same. And i'm also in the same boat re ECHR and family. Hoping i've covered enough without them. Like there's a lot in all of those topics - so we should be safe (trying to convince myself of this too haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FE1s2018

PROPERTY

In past problem questions on finding, the item seems always to be in an underground tunnel and half-buried? Is this just so we can say... if the court determines this to be above ground, the rules are... or if they determine it to be below ground... the rules are...? Or is there actually any cases dealing with half-buried items and an underground tunnel?

Also each question seems to show that the finder is trespassing. If he is trespassing then whether it's above or below the ground am I right in saying the landlord has better title than the trespassing finder?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

sbbyrne wrote: »
    Hey, I'm doing the same. And i'm also in the same boat re ECHR and family. Hoping i've covered enough without them. Like there's a lot in all of those topics - so we should be safe (trying to convince myself of this too haha)

Thanks for coming back to me. Sort of thinking of running through family tonight, just so have something in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

FE1s2018 wrote: »
    PROPERTY

In past problem questions on finding, the item seems always to be in an underground tunnel and half-buried? Is this just so we can say... if the court determines this to be above ground, the rules are... or if they determine it to be below ground... the rules are...? Or is there actually any cases dealing with half-buried items and an underground tunnel?

Also each question seems to show that the finder is trespassing. If he is trespassing then whether it's above or below the ground am I right in saying the landlord has better title than the trespassing finder?

Thanks!

Heh, I remember now that that's exactly what I did when I did property, and I passed that one well enough!

Second part of your question, I thiiiink so, but I'm sure someone also sitting it this time will confirm for you

• Advertisement

FE1s2018 wrote: »
    PROPERTY

Thanks!

Personally I'd lay out both scenarios at the end of the question.

Eg: If the court comes to the conclusion the item was found above the ground, X has the better title - Though if it was below the ground, Y has the better title.

With regard to the trespassing bit, I'm not entirely sure tbh, but I'm under the impression that trespassers get nil. I'd look at Parker v British Airways holding. Think it might have been Obiter Dictum?

Just a thought. Take my advice with a pinch of salt though; as I may be wrong on the trespassing bit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement