Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bigtophat13

Definitely a very different format. No directors. Examinership is v rare isnt? It is a very insolvency based paper.
    If one more paper throws a curveball I'm convinced they're raising the bar.
    Like company is complete diff format. Yes I guess we aren't suppose to cut topics but when papers are in a format for years students do rely on some format naturally. As for Tort judging from past papers it was the worst /most random paper in years

From looking at grids tort was either the worst / 2nd worst paper in 19 sittings. Its the second worst in the sense that the topics that were examined were the second lowest in frequency (collectively) in all the papers. You could argue that it was a worse paper than the slightly weirder questioned one in that the more common topics were asked in a tricky format and the theory heavy stuff overlapped for 2 essay questions :/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 laurar2019

what did people say for the 238 & 239 q like how much were you able to write??

and in the last q was a fraudulant and b unfair??

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Yeah one Directors Q but it was quite specific. Just looking back over my manual and there's only one case for S238 and none for S239.

Can't help but feel I'll sitting this exam again in October...

Honestly don't give up hope sometimes the harder papers the overall average is low so the fact of attempt of all five questions would age to stand to you.
    Yes it is very specific. It was a topic i was covering before decided to pull the plug.

From looking at grids tort was either the worst / 2nd worst paper in 19 sittings. Its the second worst in the sense that the topics that were examined were the second lowest in frequency (collectively) in all the papers. You could argue that it was a worse paper than the slightly weirder questioned one in that the more common topics were asked in a tricky format and the theory heavy stuff overlapped for 2 essay questions :/

Dreading the rest of the papers have a feeling the way things are going they'll all be a surprise :/

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Maybe they are punishing us for complaining about it last October avén starting a new thread on boards ( challenge the rules) 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

What would we do if it was looking for reform or the likes? Leigh v Jack maybe? More clarity for squatters over leasehold?

To be honest, I haven't spent any time looking at how I'd answer it as an Essay Q, probably to my detriment though.

I guess I'd possibly talk about the Leigh & Co vs Durack & Co situation, mentioning that since Feeney/ Feehy (?) the position is more towards the Durack standard, which is less complicated?

I'd mention Pye as well

I guess the short answer is I've no idea actually

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kasey0123

laurar2019 wrote: »

I had nothing to really write or explain literally just what’s in the act... 238 was a sale of the mountain and they would need ordinary resolutions in both companies to pass it... 239 prohibited a lease because it’s a credit transaction so the only way they could have gotten it approved was by way of SAP.. and mentioned 220 connected person

There was i think 2 cases in my manual. Forgot both... there really wasn’t much to say because he specified ONLY 238 and 238 so I assumed he was sending a clear message I don’t want you to talk about conflicts of interest.. he probably would have said 231 if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Sigh was thinking after Tort this would be OK. I did a balanced correction of my exams and think there is enough there for someone to give a pass.

I got a bit creative with 238 and 239. You can pass a resolution for 238. Every seemed on board. 239 I just said get a SAP. Avoid litigation. Ha, for sure not what he was looking for but think that should get some marks.

Yep I went for that on fraud/unfair.

If you are going to take away a gimme question don't make the majority of the paper tricky.

Wish there could be a report on the papers, especially Tort. A gradual rising of the bar OK, a complete divergence from previous years is not very fair. People put so many hours into them, can at least expect fair exams.

Sounds like you hit the right points. I thought it was odd as well highlighting just those two because 231 clearly should play a part. Strange one to give as a full question. Came up in part before.
    kasey0123 wrote: »
    I had nothing to really write or explain literally just what’s in the act... 238 was a sale of the mountain and they would need ordinary resolutions in both companies to pass it... 239 prohibited a lease because it’s a credit transaction so the only way they could have gotten it approved was by way of SAP.. and mentioned 220 connected person

There was i think 2 cases in my manual. Forgot both... there really wasn’t much to say because he specified ONLY 238 and 238 so I assumed he was sending a clear message I don’t want you to talk about conflicts of interest.. he probably would have said 231 if so.

Daly29 wrote: »
    Sounds like you hit the right points. I thought it was odd as well highlighting just those two because 231 clearly should play a part. Strange one to give as a full question. Came up in part before.

Yeah only for I saw a similar Q before 231 I defintely would have went off on a tangent on that but he really must not have wanted it.. something fishy going on this set

• Advertisement

i mentioned 231 in the conclusion just to round it up... think he'll dock mark for that since its not in the q?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Legal_Eagle_95

Right so anyone think it's possible to pass on 3 decent qs and two very dodgy ones haha? Actually feel so baffled by that company exam - no normal director duties, restrictions, shareholder protection, share transfer, SLP...just don't understand it are they trying to make us fail?

i mentioned 231 in the conclusion just to round it up... think he'll dock mark for that since its not in the q?

Ah no definitely not! I would have done the same only for I saw a previous one that included it... tbh I say he just put up minimal stuff because he probably doesn’t wanna spend hours correcting when he has a real job HAha 😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Just remembered I threw in a sixth question, did half a page on the 238 & 239 one... will I get negatively marked for that does anyone know?

how long were your answers for 239 & 239? mine was barely 3 pages

kasey0123 wrote: »
    Ah no definitely not! I would have done the same only for I saw a previous one that included it... tbh I say he just put up minimal stuff because he probably doesn’t wanna spend hours correcting when he has a real job HAha ��������

hopefullyyyy

jewels652 wrote:
    Maybe they are punishing us for complaining about it last October avén starting a new thread on boards ( challenge the rules) 😂

I was thinking the same!!! ffs😂😂😂

Right so anyone think it's possible to pass on 3 decent qs and two very dodgy ones haha? Actually feel so baffled by that company exam - no normal director duties, restrictions, shareholder protection, share transfer, SLP...just don't understand it are they trying to make us fail?

yup you could definitely pass with that I reckon.

I talked about SLP a bit in the problem question with Sean on consequences of incorporation...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Just remembered I threw in a sixth question, did half a page on the 238 & 239 one... will I get negatively marked for that does anyone know?

I don't know but I'll assume that probably the last question on your script won't be read.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

No not at all. He'll just mark your best 5.

• Advertisement

how long were your answers for 239 & 239? mine was barely 3 pages

Same ... i’m not too worried for that really because there actually wasn’t anything to say.. he probably thinks he was nice with that Q because it was in the act haha.. I’ve seen him say before how it’s surprising students didn’t attempt questions which are based on the legislation.. so who knows!

lawless11 wrote: »
    I don't know but I'll assume that probably the last question on your script won't be read.

That would be fine by me I don't know why I did it :confused::pac:
    No not at all. He'll just mark your best 5.

Lovely, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Legal_Eagle_95

yup you could definitely pass with that I reckon.

I talked about SLP a bit in the problem question with Sean on consequences of incorporation...

I could do the crystallisation, winding up by creditors and unfair preference ones but oh my god I waffled about UV from what I knew about the changes under the Companies Act and just where it had cropped up in other sections and then made a total MESS of the S238 and S239 - had not looked at it!

I could do the crystallisation, winding up by creditors and unfair preference ones but oh my god I waffled about UV from what I knew about the changes under the Companies Act and just where it had cropped up in other sections and then made a total MESS of the S238 and S239 - had not looked at it!

You'd be surprised.. I reckon you passed!

Yeah my UV answer was crap, just said that LTDs don't have an objects clause and DACs do, but that 90% of Irish companies are LTDs so I still think the UV doctrine isn't of major importance.. hopefully will get a few attempt marks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xBell123

On the UV question I talked about the development of the case law independent objects clauses etc then suddenly thought they’re not relevant to assessing changes to the doctrine under the act are they!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

No you definitely won't get docked. I''m pretty sure they're required to mark everything thats on the paper. So even if you got 4 marks for it, if its more marks than another question then that's the one they'll take into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm getting ahead of myself, but when do results come out?

November 30th I think for Octiber so guess it'll be April 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

For diminished responsibility, do you have to prove it beyond reasonable doubt or balance of probabilities before rebutted to prosecution to disprove beyond all reasonable doubt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sbbyrne

Yeah its usually 6 weeks from the last Friday of the exam/last exam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement