Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindhunter [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Well to be fair she cheated on him and then dumped him on her porch, so you know, maybe there wasn't much chemistry there...

As I said I enjoyed it, that's my opinion. I'm not defending anything. Your of the opinion it was a poor show. Mine is it was good.

If we wanted to figure out who's opinion was more correct we could look at the fact that the show has been roundly applauded by the public and critics alike, if we were so inclined.

The break up does not excuse the fact there was zero chemistry from the get go. I.e. it was unbelievable, poor casting.

But you seem to excuse its detriments bizarrely with “it’s meant to be like that” explanations.

Just terrible acting simply.

Obviously most of the rest is down to opinion. I haven’t seen many critical acclamations of it. Some people on here getting very excited about it. I don’t know many in person though who liked it at all.

Someone compared it to criminal minds or the like which seems spot on.

Others are losing the run of themselves and hyping it up way too much, so I felt the need to show another perspective on it.

Said my piece now though, we’re going nowhere really, just like most of the stories in Mindhunter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Said my piece now though, we’re going nowhere really, just like most of the stories in Mindhunter

You do realise the "stories" are mostly based off true events..?

I'll gladly leave it there also.

You do realise the "stories" are mostly based off true events..?

I'll gladly leave it there also.

No, I never heard of Charles Manson or the FBI....

I’m talking about the padding and the rest of it. The actual characters outside of the murderers.

Wendy is a lesbian who wants a cat

Tench is a tough guy veteran with a troubled kid. Nothing.

You can’t help being pompous. Just like jcbcbc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Moving away from recent posts, it's been suggested now by some sources that rader won't be the focus of season 2 at all. Must have some sort of guarantee or at least positive indication for future seasons if they are teasing season 3 antagonists from early season 1

Wendy is a lesbian who wants a cat

Tench is a tough guy veteran with a troubled kid. Nothing.

You can’t help being pompous. Just like jcbcbc.

Bill Hodges the tortured cop with a broken marriage..

Brady the socially awkward psychopath with mommy issues...

See we can both do that.

I really enjoyed Mr Mercedes by the way. But I have enough cop-on not to compare it to a drama.

Your final comment is really pot--kettle--black kind of stuff. You've been nothing but condescending and aggressive in conveying your "opinion".

• Advertisement

Bill Hodges the tortured cop with a broken marriage..

Brady the socially awkward psychopath with mommy issues...

See we can both do that.

I really enjoyed Mr Mercedes by the way. But I have enough cop-on not to compare it to a drama.

Your final comment is really pot--kettle--black kind of stuff. You've been nothing but condescending and aggressive in conveying your "opinion".

When someone responds to my opinion with lulz it generally doesn’t go well from there.

Ex Detectives with unusually high rates of divorces and issues is a statistical fact.

There was a whole recent series dedicated to showing how mass murderers often come from broken homes with mammy issues....can’t seem to think of the name of it :pac:

I didn’t make a mockery of you or your opinion, just disagreed with it.

Suggesting I missed the whole idea of Mindhunter and the fact it’s based on true stories makes you the pot. I’ll gladly play the kettle.

Your going around insulting people whose opinions differ from your own.
    It's a TV show don't let it upset you.

You'd swear people here where calling it the golden age of TV or something.

I don't get it.

jcd5971 wrote: »

I don't get it.

I don’t take kindly to condescending people. You referenced me and my opinion, misquoting me, and then “lulz”

Real mature.

I’m not in the least bit upset though. I’m bored and putting you in your place is ridiculously easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

So..... Mindhunter eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don't get it.

The only one jumping in every time someone asserts a differing opinion is yourself. You're going on as if it's a crime not to like it or cast aspersions. Nobody is trying to hurt your feelings.
    Chill out. Listen to lyric fm or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I don’t take kindly to condescending people. You referenced me and my opinion, misquoting me, and then “lulz”

Real mature.

I’m not in the least bit upset though. I’m bored and putting you in your place is ridiculously easy.

Enough. Please don't post in this thread again.

Because the John Patrick poster said that fair city Mr Mercedes and some other shows are all better in every way than mind hunters.... Go figure.

Why someone would. Come into a thread about a show they didn't enjoy and keep posting there is beyond me.

It's not like he even has a discussion it's just all. Fair city is better lulz.

I just ignore those kinds of posts now.

Yet I’m the one being asked not to post in this thread again! Hilarity. But your wish is my command Mr E.

Lulz

• Registered Users Posts: 33,138 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I must be getting too fussy in my old age.

Have decided not to finish the 2nd half of Stranger Things Series 2.
    Unlikely to watch Mindhunter Series 2.

NIMAN wrote:
    I must be getting too fussy in my old age.

NIMAN wrote:
    Have decided not to finish the 2nd half of Stranger Things Series 2. Unlikely to watch Mindhunter Series 2.

I have so many shows like that, feels like a chore to watch through and finish.

I find with mind hunters that I'd actually have to force myself to start watching it but after a few minutes I'd be completely drawn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

#jesuisjohnpatrick
    :pac:

anna080 wrote:
    The only one jumping in every time someone asserts a differing opinion is yourself. You're going on as if it's a crime not to like it or cast aspersions. Nobody is trying to hurt your feelings. Chill out. Listen to lyric fm or something.

I read back over the thread to see what you're talking about. I don't see the poster you quote or indeed any posters insulting anyone.

What I do see is the same poster aggressively conveying his opinion and being deliberately obtuse when responding to other posters.

Then accusing other posters of being pompous and condescending. Hilarious.

I have so many shows like that, feels like a chore to watch through and finish.

I find with mind hunters that I'd actually have to force myself to start watching it but after a few minutes I'd be completely drawn in.

Lost has a lot to answer for!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I thought the young detective guy started to actually enjoy n get some trill out of hearing what these killers did to their victims, he was becoming absolutely obsessed and not in a good way. His girlfriend was right to dump him, all he talked about was himself and his job.

fin12 wrote: »
    I thought the young detective guy started to actually enjoy n get some trill out of hearing what these killers did to their victims, he was becoming absolutely obsessed and not in a good way. His girlfriend was right to dump him, all he talked about was himself and his job.

She wasn't much craic either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Generally enjoyed it, but then something about the FBI's behavioural science unit was bound to interest me (X Files and Millennium fan). They certainly made Holden/Hord somewhat of a self-centred insufferable arse at times, but I guess you wouldn't have drama without that sort of thing. Gave Carr and Tench a chance to call him out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think Holden was intended to be portrayed as kind of slightly emotionless and obsessive over his work. His facial features hardly ever change noticeably. Which some seem to think is "wooden" or "bad acting" but I think that's exactly how he's meant to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I think Holden & Tench are intentionally written to be polar opposites: Tench comes off as the more emotionally intelligent, life experienced of the two, with his colleague's strength further into the academic aspect but seemingly stunted, emotionally.

I'm only about halfway through the series here, but I'm actually wondering if Holden is himself is a psychopath; his lack of empathy feels particularly relevant given the object of his studies & obsession, so is he living these lives vicariously?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Birneybau wrote: »
    I only finished it hence my late reply to the above quote. Maybe they're playing the long game. Afaik Rader was only arrested in 1991. This season of Mindhunter didn't even make it to the 80s?
    Moving away from recent posts, it's been suggested now by some sources that rader won't be the focus of season 2 at all. Must have some sort of guarantee or at least positive indication for future seasons if they are teasing season 3 antagonists from early season 1

Was I the source? :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, I think Holden & Tench are intentionally written to be polar opposites: Tench comes off as the more emotionally intelligent, life experienced of the two, with his colleague's strength further into the academic aspect but seemingly stunted, emotionally.

I'm only about halfway through the series here, but I'm actually wondering if Holden is himself is a psychopath; his lack of empathy feels particularly relevant given the object of his studies & obsession, so is he living these lives vicariously?

I was thinking the same thing about Holden.

I think Holden was intended to be portrayed as kind of slightly emotionless and obsessive over his work. His facial features hardly ever change noticeably. Which some seem to think is "wooden" or "bad acting" but I think that's exactly how he's meant to be.

Yeah I get that for sure, I also think it's bad acting to a degree though. Take for instance all scenes with the girlfriend, they're just painful to watch. Whereas scenes between himself and Tench/Wendy are far more believable. The chemistry between the 2 actors was just abysmal. Yes I know they broke up, but that doesn't account for the times they were seemingly into each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Oh dear here we go again

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

What was with the cat?

What was with the cat?

I kept thinking that she was going to get attacked by someone going down to the cellar feeding the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

What was with the cat?

Fincher explained that the cryptic series of scenes were, at least in part, suggesting to the audience that perhaps “there was a kid in the building who’s going around killing cats. And it’s a birth of a new sociopath that we don’t quite know about. Because that’s how it starts — with [inflicting harm on] animals.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Oh dear here we go again

Yet you thank a person dragging it up again......because they praised the acting :rolleyes:

Advertisement