Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindhunter [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I got a mate to watch it and he was saying the same thing it's only a 6/10 just hated the slow pace.

I loved it to be honest and I lived the slow burning pace.

I suppose different strokes different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I watched episode 1 last week and didn't find it great. I've watched episodes 2 and 3 this evening and I'm definitely liking it. Just starting episode 4 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The older guy in the team made the show for me, would have been a 5/10 without him.

Holden had little charisma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Only watched the first episode but already not a fan of the girlfriend and the main guy. Just seem very...fake. Or to put it simply, not good actors. The series itself seems interesting though so will give it a few more episodes before bailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

RasTa wrote: »
    This doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Zodiac.

It's a solid 6/10 show with nothing too ground breaking. Some of the dialouge is very weak and agree on the pointless girlfriend.

One of the episodes was only 35mins long, disgrace.

Says the fella who doesn’t rate this or Stranger Things! And Mindhunter is live a companion piece to Zodiac imho, if you don’t believe I suggest you rewatch Zodiac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Says the fella who doesn’t rate this or Stranger Things! And Mindhunter is live a companion piece to Zodiac imho, if you don’t believe I suggest you rewatch Zodiac

Stranger things is weak garbage. I was glad this show was over, almost as bad as season 3 of Fargo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

NIMAN wrote: »
    The older guy in the team made the show for me, would have been a 5/10 without him.

Agree with this. Bill Tench was the better lead. I like Holt McCallany as an actor.

Looking forward to S2 if they go with the Dennis Rader storyline. Soon as I saw the Kansas splashes I knew it was him. The BTK story is depraved. Plenty of documentaries on youtube about it. An utter lunatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Heckler wrote: »
    Agree with this. Bill Tench was the better lead. I like Holt McCallany as an actor.

Looking forward to S2 if they go with the Dennis Rader storyline. Soon as I saw the Kansas splashes I knew it was him. The BTK story is depraved. Plenty of documentaries on youtube about it. An utter lunatic.

Fincher said what S2 will be about and it's not Rader

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

NIMAN wrote: »

The actor is the son of an Irishman. He spent some time in boarding school in Ireland himself, per his wiki page.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just finished and really enjoyed it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Zodiac.

It's a solid 6/10 show with nothing too ground breaking. Some of the dialouge is very weak and agree on the pointless girlfriend.

One of the episodes was only 35mins long, disgrace.
    35 minutes is great. It’s a short episode that would have just been padded out with rubbish if they needed to make it for TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

Well thats a misdirection then. Obviously him getting going in S1. And I'm ok with that. Loved S1 so have faith S2 will be good. The Rader storyline would be good though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I enjoyed it, Bill Tench saved it imo, the Holden casting I'm not convinced he pulled it off. I know what they were trying to get with him but not sure he did it. I'm only hoping debbie is back so a serial kill her kills her to get to Holden! 7/10 I think a different actor could have pushed it up a bit. Style and setting was excelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Good Bad Not Evil

Well thats a misdirection then. Obviously him getting going in S1. And I'm ok with that. Loved S1 so have faith S2 will be good. The Rader storyline would be good though.

Fincher:
    Next year we’re looking at the Atlanta child murders.

I think it’s a fantastic show. Loved the pace and felt it really kept building (sometime subtly) on each episode. The interrogation scene in episode 10 was excellent. My favorite show in a long time.

I'm really struggling to enjoy it, only on episode 3.

The acting is so hammy at times, and the scripting even seems way off.

It has a gloss of a high budget to it, but the quality is so low in parts.

The scenes between yer man and his girlfriend are borderline unwatchable, like a couple of drama students practising.

The scene where they were in the police station giving the talk on Charlie Manson was like the "fvckin hell!" scene in Father Ted it was so cringey,

I dunno, unless this next episode is a revelation then I'm out.

Watched Mr Mercedes and Midnight Sun(fantastic scandinavian thriller) lately as well as The Deuce, all of which are in a different league to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I don't think a detective could ever talk about victims the way that detective did to Richard Speck, did that actually happen or is that made up for the show? Where they deleted the tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

fin12 wrote: »
    I don't think a detective could ever talk about victims the way that detective did to Richard Speck, did that actually happen or is that made up for the show? Where they deleted the tape.

They're the FBI. They can talk in whatever fashion they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

lol, comparing Mr. Mercedes to this is like comparing the National Enquirer to National Geographic. Come on like!

Pelvis wrote: »
    lol, comparing Mr. Mercedes to this is like comparing the National Enquirer to National Geographic. Come on like!

Exactly. I'd be sure that this has been seen by far more, and all those would have enjoyed Mr Merc more. Surprised it's gotten so much hype(Mindhunter).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I only finished it hence my late reply to the above quote. Maybe they're playing the long game. Afaik Rader was only arrested in 1991. This season of Mindhunter didn't even make it to the 80s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

They're the FBI. They can talk in whatever fashion they want.

Well I'm pretty sure the victims family's would have something to say about that. There's a reason in the show they got rid of the tape if it was the norm to talk about victims like that, they wouldn't have made an issue about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Exactly. I'd be sure that this has been seen by far more, and all those would have enjoyed Mr Merc more. Surprised it's gotten so much hype(Mindhunter).
    I've seen both, and this is far superior on pretty much every level to Mr. Mercedes.

Pelvis wrote: »
    I've seen both, and this is far superior on pretty much every level to Mr. Mercedes.

Oh.......wow! I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree so, jaysus :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Good Bad Not Evil

I really enjoyed Mr. Mercedes and Brendan Gleeson's performance, but it doesn't come close to Mindhunter. The latter being far superior in every way. I find Mindhunter to be far more enthralling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There's a lot more suspense in this than Mr. Mercedes tbh. They're both very different tv shows.

A lot more acting and scripting too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

But there is no Fred in Mindhunter though! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Surprisingly average, Bill was the only character I had time for, well him and Kemper.

Will not be watching further.

I’m actually nearly finished it, and while it does improve, it’s still average at best. Wouldn’t recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I really enjoyed Mr. Mercedes and Brendan Gleeson's performance, but it doesn't come close to Mindhunter. The latter being far superior in every way. I find Mindhunter to be far more enthralling.
    Agreed. "Mr. Mercedes" has more tropes and clichés but is saved by the strength of the performances.
    "Mindhunter" for me is far more insightful, more intriguing. One of the best new shows of the year.

Advertisement