Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Game Pass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The Joycer wrote: »
    Finished What Remains of Edith Finch recently and thought it was absolutely amazing. I've not really gamed in a few years and would've mostly played sports or FPS games but I thought it was original and really special. Only about 3 hours to playthrough

Yup, played it last week. Really good and short (I was harvesting achievements). The mrs was watching and got really upset at the bit you can probably guess, walked out of the room giving out to me for such a level existing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

theteal wrote: »
    Yup, played it last week. Really good and short (I was harvesting achievements). The mrs was watching and got really upset at the bit you can probably guess, walked out of the room giving out to me for such a level existing :confused:

Oh yeah think I know the scene you mean. Found the game really incredible though, think it's a must for all

theteal wrote: »

Ah man. I'm close to finishing this i think and haven't had any achievements, thought maybe it didn't have any but since you said that I've looked them up and I've been missing them all.

Ah well, its a great game really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-game-pass-games-list-this-month-price-6400

Final Fantasy XII going up next week. Get in. Remember hating it back on the PS2 when I was still stuck in needing them all to play like VII-IX but I'm ready to sink some lockdown hours into it now and appreciate it more.
    What games are coming to Xbox Game Pass on consoles in February?
    Here is the confirmed list of Xbox Game Pass games coming to consoles in February:

Project Winter (added February 4th, 2021)
    The Falconeer (added February 4th, 2021)
    Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (added February 11th, 2021)
    Jurassic World Evolution (added February 11th, 2021)
    Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones (added February 11th, 2021)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

Someone shoot me a good story driven game there that's suitable for single player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭djan

DM_2092 wrote: »
    Someone shoot me a good story driven game there that's suitable for single player.

Enjoying Kona at the moment. Quite a slow paced first person explorative detective game with an often eerie atmosphere but no scares etc. Set in 70's in Canadian winter countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

djan wrote: »
    Enjoying Kona at the moment. Quite a slow paced first person explorative detective game with an often eerie atmosphere but no scares etc. Set in 70's in Canadian winter countryside.

I like the sound of that. I'll download it. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Playing Hellblade at the moment and enjoying it a lot. Best played with headphones. Supposed to be 8-10 hours which for me is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Control is quite the story, nothing like it, decent action/abilities too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

pm1977x wrote: »
    Control is quite the story, nothing like it, decent action/abilities too.

Yeah, great game for free. But thinking it's best on series SX. Just completed it and posted on gaming general with my thoughts.

Now, time to pick my next game pass game. Not looking for a dark dystopian game, horror game or first person shooter. Also something less than 20 hours ...

Suggestions !?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Yeah, great game for free. But thinking it's best on series SX. Just completed it and posted on gaming general with my thoughts.

Now, time to pick my next game pass game. Not looking for a dark dystopian game, horror game or first person shooter. Also something less than 20 hours ...

Suggestions !?

Edith Finch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-game-pass-games-list-this-month-price-6400

Final Fantasy XII going up next week. Get in. Remember hating it back on the PS2 when I was still stuck in needing them all to play like VII-IX but I'm ready to sink some lockdown hours into it now and appreciate it more.

I recently played through on PS4. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I've been playing Alan Wake. Just hitting the last chapter now. It's really very very good and looks amazing for a 360game. The upscaling and whatever else the series X does has it looking and playing super smooth on my c9. It's been very enjoyable, if not the most enjoyable game I've played on it so far this lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Also looking for suggestions for what to play next on Game Pass. Since I got the Series X at the beginning of January, I've completed Gears 5 campaign, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Call of the Sea and I've recently started Tell Me Why which is a bit slow-paced but enjoying the storyline.

As you can probably tell I'm pretty much open to all types of games. Hollow Knight is also downloaded as it came recommended in the Ori category. I'm also dipping in and out of Forza Horizon 4 and FIFA 21 (although the game has changed a huge amount since I last played FIFA religiously).

On a side note, a big thank you to the folks on the supply thread, I managed to pick up a Series X from Smyths in mid January after a few years of falling out from playing video games regularly. Also picked up that LG Nanocell TV from Littlewoods which is 4K @ 120HZ - loving it so far so thanks to the person who suggested it on the TV thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Playing through Hellblade myself and enjoying it. Probably crack into Jedi Fallen Order then. Plenty of options for single player games anyway

Tried Doom Eternal, but it's too fast for a game controller. Also, never really a Doom fan. Still, it's nice to dip in and out with instant resume. Glad I didnt pay full price for it. I've dropped down to "easy" mode to start getting my bearings.

Think I'll keep one FPS on the go. So, Titanfall 2, latest Gears or ... which is the best Halo for someone who's not a FPS fan. I see Destiny 2 on there ...

Ok. If you were to pick the best Game pass single player FPS ... Which is it ? Maybe I should just wait for the next Halo or play Mass Effect 2 !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tried Doom Eternal, but it's too fast for a game controller. Also, never really a Doom fan. Still, it's nice to dip in and out with instant resume. Glad I didnt pay full price for it. I've dropped down to "easy" mode to start getting my bearings.

Think I'll keep one FPS on the go. So, Titanfall 2, latest Gears or ... which is the best Halo for someone who's not a FPS fan. I see Destiny 2 on there ...

Ok. If you were to pick the best Game pass single player FPS ... Which is it ? Maybe I should just wait for the next Halo or play Mass Effect 2 !

TitanFall 2 is an amazing game, well worth playing, and not too long either.

Gears 5 is also very good, one of the best looking and sounding games as well.

The Halo games, I think go through them chronologically to be honest. As ridiculous as the storyline is, I think you do miss something without the lore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Has anyone with Control basic on Gamepass splunked up the 30 quid for the Ultimate version with next gen upgrades?

I’ve only played around an hour of it but I really like it. So losing all my game saves and starting again on the next gen version wouldn’t be that painful.

But paying €30 for a higher spec version of a game I can play for free kinda stings. Especially when ultimate is the bloody free game of PS this month.

But the graphics upgrades in Ultimate look really tangible in the digital foundry vids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Titanfall 2 campaign is amazing. One of the best FPS campaigns I've ever played

Cool, Titanfall 2 it is. On instant resume! Brilliant feature.

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote: »
    Has anyone with Control basic on Gamepass splunked up the 30 quid for the Ultimate version with next gen upgrades?

I’ve only played around an hour of it but I really like it. So losing all my game saves and starting again on the next gen version wouldn’t be that painful.

But paying €30 for a higher spec version of a game I can play for free kinda stings. Especially when ultimate is the bloody free game of PS this month.

But the graphics upgrades in Ultimate look really tangible in the digital foundry vids.

Was in the same boat. Took the free option. Will replay the ultimate version of control in a few years time when it's cheap. Or on game pass. Have loads of other games to play anyway. Having said that, 60FPS on the X would have been extra nice, but I thought it ran brilliantly on the Series X anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Also looking for suggestions for what to play next on Game Pass. Since I got the Series X at the beginning of January, I've completed Gears 5 campaign, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Call of the Sea and I've recently started Tell Me Why which is a bit slow-paced but enjoying the storyline.

As you can probably tell I'm pretty much open to all types of games. Hollow Knight is also downloaded as it came recommended in the Ori category. I'm also dipping in and out of Forza Horizon 4 and FIFA 21 (although the game has changed a huge amount since I last played FIFA religiously).

On a side note, a big thank you to the folks on the supply thread, I managed to pick up a Series X from Smyths in mid January after a few years of falling out from playing video games regularly. Also picked up that LG Nanocell TV from Littlewoods which is 4K @ 120HZ - loving it so far so thanks to the person who suggested it on the TV thread.

Recently enjoyed Supraland and currently Journey to the Savage Planet as exploration/puzzle games with mild action/FPS elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

pm1977x wrote: »
    Recently enjoyed Supraland and currently Journey to the Savage Planet as exploration/puzzle games with mild action/FPS elements.

Nice one! Will definitely check those out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

quad_red wrote: »

I bit the bullet after starting Control on game pass, I didn't get the hype at first and then the game / story clicked. I bought the Ultimate edition to get the Series X upgrades - it was about $25 there recently - the Ray Tracing and graphics updates are really nice touches and I usually go for Graphics mode over performance. The 60FPS performance is really quick and changes the feel of the game up quite a bit, especially when there is debris and mayhem around you.

Likewise, I noted that Control ultimate edition is a separate game, your save file does not transfer over. I knew this in advance so stopped playing the standard one until I could pick up the story in ultimate - plus the DLC. I stopped a little over an hour in to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I bit the bullet after starting Control on game pass, I didn't get the hype at first and then the game / story clicked. I bought the Ultimate edition to get the Series X upgrades - it was about $25 there recently - the Ray Tracing and graphics updates are really nice touches and I usually go for Graphics mode over performance. The 60FPS performance is really quick and changes the feel of the game up quite a bit, especially when there is debris and mayhem around you.

Likewise, I noted that Control ultimate edition is a separate game, your save file does not transfer over. I knew this in advance so stopped playing the standard one until I could pick up the story in ultimate - plus the DLC. I stopped a little over an hour in to the game.

Mad that the progress does not carry over... I finished it 2 weeks ago before the Series X patch/update came out. I think I ended on 830/1000G so I gave it a good go. It was fun, with a mental story. Took about 10/11 hours to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I see Jurassic World Evolution and FF XII are up on Gamepass today. Delighted with Jurassic World as I almost shelled out to buy it on the switch a couple of months ago. I've never played FF before, is this a good one to start on?

I have a quick question about GamePass. I have an XBox Series S. I've ordered an Alienware PC and I wonder if I were to install a game on the PC that I have played on the XBox, will progress carry over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

I see Jurassic World Evolution and FF XII are up on Gamepass today. Delighted with Jurassic World as I almost shelled out to buy it on the switch a couple of months ago. I've never played FF before, is this a good one to start on?

I have a quick question about GamePass. I have an XBox Series S. I've ordered an Alienware PC and I wonder if I were to install a game on the PC that I have played on the XBox, will progress carry over?

FFXII is a bit of an outlier. Where the previous games were turn based with you picking each character's actions in turn, and the newest games are real time action games with you controlling one character with AI companions (which I hate), FFXII was a bit of a crossroads between the two.

It is semi realtime and you only control one character of your party, but their actions are pretty automatic, they attack automatically on a timer and only do something different if you choose it, so you're not actually manually attacking and blocking etc. Meanwhile your companions are AI controlled, but you define a list of conditions and actions to define how they play in advance, effectively "programming" the AI.

It's actually a pretty interesting system that I'd like to see them try again. The game is also much more of an open world than the other games, with large areas that you roam around in with monster hunting quests etc. It was definitely influenced by MMOs that were popular at the time. Other FF games tend to be much more linear. Often there will be a large open looking world but you're always just traversing it to one specific story objective, rather than going off on various side quests like FFXII.

All that said, I really enjoyed it and would recommend it. If you do bounce off it though I wouldn't write off the whole series and I'd try a more traditional FF game. Final Fantasy X remastered is due on gamepass soon I believe, it's a truly excellent game and much more representative of traditional FF gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Thanks a million for the detailed post!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

You just triggered nostalgia overload quokula. I think I even have the 300 page FFXII guide in a box somewhere. Some cool side quests as well, Sky Pirate's Den being particularly cute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

Yes it should do. I am currently playing titles like Forza 4 and play on both the Xbox and PC. When I load up the game on either machine it updates to last postion you were in the game - it downloads from the cloud and away you go - obviously it needs to be the same gamepass subscription.

Another key benefit of the Ultimate subscription is that you can play one game on Xbox and another on the PC at the same time. It cannot be the same game but still thats great value. I did try it on another XBOX and gamepass will only work on one xbox at the same time but will allow Xbox and PC at the same time if that makes sense.

PS - great choice in Alienware - we love our one. I know people say you can build cheaper etc however I wouldnt have a clue

Advertisement