Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to play Test Cricket in 2018?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What time does play start today? Guerilla seems to be playing a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

11am start today

Looks like a lot of cloud cover, batting conditions might be trickier than yesterday.

I'd be happy to see Ireland force Pakistan to bat again. Anything else would be a bonus.

Skid X wrote: »
    11am start today

Looks like a lot of cloud cover, batting conditions might be trickier than yesterday.

I'd be happy to see Ireland force Pakistan to bat again. Anything else would be a bonus.

I'm confused. Pakistan put Ireland back into bat, so I thought that meant they forfit their 2nd innings.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,352 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I'm confused. Pakistan put Ireland back into bat, so I thought that meant they forfit their 2nd innings.

It's called a follow-on. If the team batting 2nd have a 'mare (like we did) and don't get close to the first team's score, they can be made to bat again. The idea is that it gives the first team a much better shout of winning, because the second team will be much less likely to be able to slow play for a draw...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follow-on

Of note - only 3 teams have won a test match after being made follow-on...

No, Pakistan will bat again if they need to.

They had they right to ask Ireland to bat next, because they were more than 150 runs ahead. (normally has to be more than 200, but it's 150 because there was no play on Day 1)

The reason a team chooses the follow on is normally to press their advantage and give them a better chance of bowling out the other side in the time remaining (and the time remaining is uncertain because there might be more rain)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Why, why, why???? It's as clear as day that we don't need to push the score so why on earth are they going for quick singles like a T20 or ODI?????? And losing Joyce.. self destruct stuff.

dulpit wrote: »
    It's called a follow-on. If the team batting 2nd have a 'mare (like we did) and don't get close to the first team's score, they can be made to bat again. The idea is that it gives the first team a much better shout of winning, because the second team will be much less likely to be able to slow play for a draw...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follow-on

Of note - only 3 teams have won a test match after being made follow-on...

Ah. I always thought the follow on basically meant, we are going to take a chance here, we think we are far enough ahead, and going to forefit our second innings, make you bat again, hoping both your innings, don't beat our one.

Follow on puts us under big pressure - to rescue a draw, we've basically got to bat as long as possible into tomorrow. In theory, we could knock off 300-400 runs and then bowl Pakistan out, but we don't have that luxury of talent or position to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

A pair for Balbirnie

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Joyce in the first innings, Balbirnie there and one of the Pakistanis, have to think all would have been saved by DRS (perhaps one or two more that might have been given). Don't think it's been a great Test by the Umpires (maybe not both, I can't remember for sure who gave and didn't give them all).

And what the heck is with the running this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sounds like carnage out there, the last thing they need is stupid running.

minitrue wrote: »
    And what the heck is with the running this morning!

Who knows? Surely the emphasis on keeping wickets must have been drummed in this morning? Is the short game format so ingrained that batsmen just behave instinctively to take quick (risky) singles?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

BarryD2 wrote: »
    s the short game format so ingrained that batsmen just behave instinctively to take quick (risky) singles?
    I don't think so, between County cricket, Interpros and ICup there's plenty of experience of this sort of cricket out there!

minitrue wrote: »
    I don't think so, between County cricket, Interpros and ICup there's plenty of experience of this sort of cricket out there!

You'd think so but then why start off the morning like that? Looks like we've given up the ghost of a draw now and will just bat ODI style and see if at least, Pakistan can be put in again?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

2nd century in the history of Irish test cricket

Alas both are "team" rather than individual efforts!

:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Still trailing by about 60 just to avoid an innings defeat, need a good partnership here

Stirling gone now for just 11

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

145-5 - at least we have the "saviours" of the first innings, KOB and Wilson now in

Hopefully they will make Pakistan bat again - that will be a good enough achievement given the first innings. All the better if they can take it in to a final day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,352 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I find it interesting that this thread is fairly quiet when compared to the match thread during WCQs. Is that a result of people being at the game? Or because test cricket is slower? Or there's less interest?

Wilson out now, come on we need to make them bat again

• Advertisement

I find it interesting that this thread is fairly quiet when compared to the match thread during WCQs. Is that a result of people being at the game? Or because test cricket is slower? Or there's less interest?

Test cricket is slower and it doesn't lead to much momentum in the thread would be my guess. The more posts you have the more it stays on the front page and the more randomers you pick up from there, then if there are more posts people stay and keep posting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

When you're batting from behind or saving a draw....the less news the better:)

179/6 now, no innings defeat which is not to be sniffed for a new side at 7/3 in the first innings.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,504 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I've been busy the last few days.

Ireland lead by 4 runs.

Blow it up ref

Anyone else hear the crowd there? Give me an 'I'.. Give me an 'R'... I was worried for a second about what letter was coming next :pac:

50 for Kevin O'Brien, nice one.

50 up for KOB.

KOB looks great out there, watching him bat I think Ireland really does belong here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Great for KO'B. However with the new ball coming up next over, it will be interesting to see how long Ireland can hold out... Would have loved to have gone to Malahide today after having a great time on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Great stuff from Kevin O'Brien. Fighting hard

Advertisement