Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to play Test Cricket in 2018?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Is there a 7pm cut off, or will they bat the overs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It looks fairly bright out there

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Is there a 7pm cut off, or will they bat the overs?

7pm cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KOB absolutely shattered

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Cracking performance there today, very enjoyable stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Gonna get through i think, bit hairy there towards the end. If there'd been an extra slip in place it'd surely have been curtains for KOB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great knock by KoB, he was out on his feet there at the end. It's too early to dream, but if they could get to lunch tomorrow they could be looking at a win.................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Fantastic effort, good lead. 122 overs bowled, unreal

Well that was just fantastic. Outstanding from KOB obviously, Thompson with a brilliant knock too, Kane with a great anchor job.

Fairly busy in work but already thinking of how much of the game I could manage to get to tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dont know how realistic talk of winning the match is, but that it can be spoken of at all is remarkable, given where they were at lunch today. Truly magnificent day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I don't how we've come back into the game but we have for the moment :) Great innings from Kevin and Stuart Thompson and KoB sure rode his luck at times! Guess it's down to the weather to some extent. If it stays dry tomorrow, you'd think we still need to see out the first session. 140 runs still too light to defend for any length of time?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I don't how we've come back into the game but we have for the moment :) Great innings from Kevin and Stuart Thompson and KoB sure rode his luck at times! Guess it's down to the weather to some extent. If it stays dry tomorrow, you'd think we still need to see out the first session. 140 runs still too light to defend for any length of time?

Assuming no weather disruptions (big assumption) youd have to think we'd need the lead to be around 200 to have any realistic chance

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

What a performance. All down to the last day. Forecast is a bit ropey for tomorrow and with Murtagh and Rankin well rested, they might fancy a bowl at Pakistan tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is there any way we can actually win, or we playing for a draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

That was far too compelling to watch to think about commenting much ;)

I wonder what Cricket Ireland will do tomorrow with regards to entry, I know they didn't sell tickets! If anyone spots the news about that post it here please!

titan18 wrote: »
    Is there any way we can actually win, or we playing for a draw?

Bowl out Pakistan for a v low score.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

KevIRL wrote:
    Bowl out Pakistan for a v low score.

Guess, I should have said realistic way to win

minitrue wrote: »
    That was far too compelling to watch to think about commenting much ;)

I wonder what Cricket Ireland will do tomorrow with regards to entry, I know they didn't sell tickets! If anyone spots the news about that post it here please!

Tickets were a tenner on the gate today

titan18 wrote: »
    Guess, I should have said realistic way to win

Get a lead of 200 or so. Put a bit of pressure on with early wickets and hope for a collapse.

Bookies had Ireland win at 45/1 today around half four. It's now 10/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

BarryD2 wrote: »

Brilliant knock from KOB.

Can we somehow get a 180-200 run lead. That would put pressure of Pakistan.

It will still be a great save from this position though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

K O'B in an elite company of four cricketers to score a century in their country's inaugural Test - presumably an Afghan will join him next month, but that would still only make five!

https://mobile.twitter.com/mohanstatsman/status/996076459625037824

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

KevIRL wrote: »
    Tickets were a tenner on the gate today
    Now you tell me! Where did they publicise that if anywhere? I might even just have nipped over at lunch if I'd known that :(

KevIRL wrote: »
    Assuming no weather disruptions (big assumption) youd have to think we'd need the lead to be around 200 to have any realistic chance

Yeah, you'd have to think they'd fancy having a go at knocking off anything under 200 given 50 overs or more. Once it goes above that, it gets interesting. Looks like a pretty weak front is crossing over Dublin tomorrow mid dayish. But Dublin often stays mostly dry in that sort of situation. Plenty of muggy cloud about, that's for sure!

Bat most of the morning session and get the lead up towards 200, and I doubt Pakistan will feel too good about having two sessions to chase that. Of course It could be 319 all out in the second over tomorrow, but we can dream :)

but we can dream :)

Isn't that what Irish cricket fans mostly live off! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Some things to consider:

Last year, the West Indies put Pakistan in for the 4th innings needing 188 to win, with Pakistan subsequently all out for 81. Also last year, Pakistan needed 136 against Sri Lanka and were all out in the end for 114.

The follow-on has been enforced in Test cricket 277 times. In those, 217 have been won by the team enforcing the follow-on, 57 have been drawn, and just three have been won by the team forced to follow-on (England in 1894 and 1981, and India in 2001, all against Australia).

The highest 4th innings target successfully chased down by the team which enforced the follow-on is 198 (Australia in 1911, against South Africa).

A lead close to 200 and history would suggest a draw is likely, while in the last year Pakistan chasing in the 4th innings have twice been bowled out for less than the current lead. In sum, nothing is impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Some interesting stats there about Pakistans vulnerability. If we could somehow sneak another 50 and make a target of 190 ish they won`t fancy that. 5 bowlers rested and tearing in. Also a bit of damp and cloud will help the new ball swing and who knows.

140 is`nt enough though, but the weather might help. If the weather is dodgy we could slow it all down and bowl 10/12 overs an hour. We`ll get a fine for that but might be worth it to try spin it out and wait for bad weather if we`re on the ropes

• Advertisement

Conchir wrote: »
    Last year, the West Indies put Pakistan in for the 4th innings needing 188 to win, with Pakistan subsequently all out for 81. Also last year, Pakistan needed 136 against Sri Lanka and were all out in the end for 114.
    A lead close to 200 and history would suggest a draw is likely, while in the last year Pakistan chasing in the 4th innings have twice been bowled out for less than the current lead. In sum, nothing is impossible!

Yeah, but our bowling can be leaky! Given a sniff of less than 200 and a reasonable number of overs, I'd reckon they'd give it a good go and then close up shop if too many early wickets lost.

Advertisement