Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsie hill climb challenge (Dublin) 2017 - Sat 25th March, 9am, Stocking Lane

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Well done everyone on yesterday, that was a great test. My garmin feckin screwed up so missed the segment, was raging. Gave it a good whirl anyway, 15:something, oh well...Passed a group of kids out for a hack and some lad wearing bright yellow socks

Screwed up part 1 - https://www.strava.com/activities/913484853

Average part 2- https://www.strava.com/activities/913611028

Went down Piperstown Rd for the first time and hit 66.6kph. Fast and bumpy. Not the wisest as I turned back cause my bike was creaking like a mo fo

I'm going to use that segment to check on my improvement throughout the year

Are there ever any boards spins?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Whyner wrote: »
    Looks like you got a helicopter from the Ballyroan Road to the Featherbeds! :D
    Whyner wrote:
    ....Are there ever any boards spins?
    Yes, the annual Evil Ride will be coming up in a few months.

There were for a long time, even had alot of non boards folk going on them as people used to check the forum just to see they were going ahead. I heard of the boards spins before I had heard for the forum (although I had never been on one).
    They used to leave from the Dundrum LUAS bridge but have not been run in a long time AFAIK

CramCycle wrote: »
    There were for a long time, even had alot of non boards folk going on them as people used to check the forum just to see they were going ahead. I heard of the boards spins before I had heard for the forum (although I had never been on one).
    They used to leave from the Dundrum LUAS bridge but have not been run in a long time AFAIK

Ok, might need to get them going myself so. I'm not up for joining a club at the mo

• Advertisement

Looks like you got a helicopter from the Ballyroan Road to the Featherbeds! :D

Yes, the annual Evil Ride will be coming up in a few months.

Edge 520 :mad::mad:

I see others are having issues also in another thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Edge 520 :mad::mad:

I see others are having issues also in another thread

Yup, Garmin having on off day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe we need a northside hill climb event. not that there are any hills like that northside.

maybe we need a northside hill climb event. not that there are any hills like that northside.

Have a TT or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Howth is technically northside... I suggest village > up, then right at the church ;-)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't recommend right turns on any event. I would have recommende just the TT segment as Howth would be a good one https://www.strava.com/segments/7312602 . We used it for the college hill climb a few years ago. Decent road, loads of space, I certainly wouldn't object to it.

You are absolutely right Cram, I was just being sadistic... I guess it's over 22% on one of the bends there ;-)

Still, I would rather prefer climbing from the village side, it's more consistently uphill... Finishing at the summit carpark for great view once the front brake rub has been thoroughly checked :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Alek wrote: »
    Still, I would rather prefer climbing from the village side, it's more consistently uphill...
    i've done howth 16 times, and every single one from the village side. i reckon the downhill is much more enjoyable that way.

I understand that you mean climbing from the village and descending towards Sutton - fully agree then :-) I've descended towards village a few times initially and it was not much fun. Fast but nervous.

i've done howth 16 times, and every single one from the village side....
    But do you take a right at the church?

I have only ever been up from the non village side and never upto this church turn everyone mentions, where is it? Coming up from the village an taking a lef t and left again upto the summit car park seems also reasonable, if a tad short.

i'm half scared to do so.

I have only ever been up from the non village side and never upto this church turn everyone mentions, where is it?
    kinda hard to miss - coming from the village, there's a fork in the road as you hit the church. easiest to stay left, obviously, as that's the main road anyway.

a friend of mine grew up on balkill road. they'd have to leave the car at the bottom of the driveway on very frosty or snowy days.

... never upto this church turn everyone mentions, where is it?
    Instead of following the main road past the church, turn right for a quieter route to the top (with an interesting double bend).

CramCycle wrote:
    never upto this church turn everyone mentions, where is it?

About 200m from where you start climbing, there is a big church and the road to the summit goes at its left. If you choose right... Well, give it a try and have "fun" :-P

• Advertisement

Instead of following the main road past the church, turn right for a quieter route to the top (with an interesting double bend).

Had to google map it, having never been in the village, it does look like a more fun climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

About 200m from where you start climbing, there is a big church and the road to the summit goes at its left. If you choose right... Well, give it a try and have "fun" :-P

I've just Google Mapped that road. If it is your idea of fun, you need psychiatric help :P

I see Alek you're the 4th quickest Boardsie on it!

(And strangely Mr Sherlock doesn't seem to feature!)

how does one add oneself to the boardsie group?

I see Alek you're the 4th quickest Boardsie on it!

Isn't it enough for excuse to make it the next boards hillclimb TT? :-D

how does one add oneself to the boardsie group?
    Join the Boards.ie club on Strava.

Isn't it enough for excuse to make it the next boards hillclimb TT? :-D
    Our own Raam is 8 seconds quicker than you (but he doesn't count as he's not in the Boards.ie Strava club).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Join the Boards.ie club on Strava.
    so who is Santy Mozos CeC? or Bueno Bike Lanzarote?
    are the opportunists who join multiple groups?

• Advertisement

so who is Santy Mozos CeC? or Bueno Bike Lanzarote?
    are the opportunists who join multiple groups?
    Yup - should really only be for regular Boardsies IMO (although others disagree).

Advertisement