Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsie hill climb challenge (Dublin) 2017 - Sat 25th March, 9am, Stocking Lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

How's the planning for the next one of these Glass Prison 1214? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

A midsummer Howth Head climb perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

colm18 wrote: »
    How's the planning for the next one of these Glass Prison 1214? ;-)

Thanks for the reminder :)

I'm away a bit over the next three/four weeks. Just throwing out a date but how does Saturday 29th of July sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm away a bit over the next three/four weeks. Just throwing out a date but how does Saturday 29th of July sound?

Nice final warmup for the meath heritage tour the day after...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Slightly off topic lads, but what do you think is harder; the climb up stocking lane to the viewing point or the climb up Cruagh road to viewing point, both starting at say the Scholarstown Road/Edmondstown Road junction.

• Advertisement

bazermc wrote: »
    Slightly off topic lads, but what do you think is harder; the climb up stocking lane to the viewing point or the climb up Cruagh road to viewing point, both starting at say the Scholarstown Road/Edmondstown Road junction.

I'd consider stocking lane harder. You do slightly more climbing because of a slight downhill and there more steeper sections.

29th July works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

ronoc wrote: »
    I'd consider stocking lane harder. You do slightly more climbing because of a slight downhill and there more steeper sections.

I disagree, I would consider Cruagh road harder. The climb just feels a lot longer to me, and there is the middle section leading up the the Glencullen turn off which is very hard IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I much prefer Cruagh Road.

I'm away on the 29th but may do it before I go or after I come back. Or both

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I too am away on the 29th. I suggest August 5th (when I can use my holiday induced portliness as an excuse). I've never gone up Cruagh and only went down it once which I liked. Not too short and sharp like so many in Ireland are. I like a longer winding descent you see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Cruagh road from the M50 bridge to the top junction perhaps?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of the last times i went up cruagh, i puked in front of some german tourists. to be fair, it was my first time on the bike in over six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I would say Cruagh just edges it. Both have steep sections but for me, Cruagh has more of a kick to it from 2/3 on. The last past of Kilakee where it twists and turns is nice to ride. The last part of Cruagh from Glencullen turn to forest carpark is heavy going with the poor surface and, often a head wind.

Just realized it's a year to the day since I put up this threat; any interest in another one sometime in March? Kilmashogue would be my preference this year...If there's interest I can stick up another thread with a poll for dates & location

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm up for it. How about Howth this year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if anyone on boards wins the euromillions on friday (it was not won last night, at €161m), they are honour bound to buy a slice of the dublin mountains sufficient to create a dedicated road bike hill climb course.

How about Howth this year?
    give me a chance to perv on everyone else's best times before i commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Finishing at a pub has to be a big plus:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Finishing at a pub has to be a big plus:)

The R116 up from Kilternan to Johnny Foxes is a good tester and also ends at a pub. We use it for our Club Hill Climb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

1551! I can only get better :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

NRC hill climb up to Tara, plenty of pain to be had but only a coffee shop at the top

Borderfox wrote: »
    NRC hill climb up to Tara, plenty of pain to be had but only a coffee shop at the top

We wouldn't get the numbers there though

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We could have a secondary challenge to see who's the quickest down the hill after a feed of pints.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

We could have a secondary challenge to see who's the quickest down the hill after a feed of pints.

Starting at foxes, you could wobble down to the blue light for a chaser ending up at lamb doyles for the digestif.

Borderfox wrote: »
    is that the one from the N3? if so, it was far less taxing than i expected. problem is the number of cars potentially blocking it or parking on it, i'd have thought.

that road maxes out at about 120m, i'm assuming the start elevation on that segment is similarly out?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I’d second that one , it’s a classic .
    6.22 is the current leader on the Strava TT segment . Followed by prize and a pint in the Summit . Perfect

• Advertisement

madre de dios. i can't manage that speed on the flat without a good tailwind, let alone climbing howth in the process.

Advertisement