Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home improvements you find tacky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I'm not a fan of mosaic tiles either. In the right setting and home they can look apt but any I've seen are horrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

The slippers and signs in foyers "welcome to our humble abode, please take off your shoes, a basket of slippers is provided for your comfort. make yourself at home" (hmmm, am gettin' mixed signals...for whose comfort? cos I am perfectly comfy in my shoes, tyvm) ...So, you've bought expensive designer 'humble' cream coloured carpeting that you don't anyone to walk on... and you watch to make sure your unsuspecting guests slip off their shoes (with a gracious smile on their face - that's important) and put on your slippers. I would rather you provide dust covers for shoes, it would put me more at ease, but probably make you uncomfy, since it's a more direct way of implying "guests aren't sterile enough for our environment."

Ya just know, every item in the place is shined and precisely set in it's perfect place. Hmmm - It screams "do not touch anything in this house" - very uncomfortable to attempt to sit gingerly in such pristine 'palaces'. ......atleast for me anyway.

I think any home where the furniture or fittings and fixtures are too pristine is an annoyance. White chairs/carpets or rugs should be banned IMO. You can't be comfortable with having anything like that in your home unless you have protective stuff on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

B00! wrote: »
    The slippers and signs in foyers "welcome to our humble abode, please take off your shoes, a basket of slippers is provided for your comfort. make yourself at home" (hmmm, am gettin' mixed signals...for whose comfort? cos I am perfectly comfy in my shoes, tyvm) ...So, you've bought expensive designer 'humble' cream coloured carpeting that you don't anyone to walk on... and you watch to make sure your unsuspecting guests slip off their shoes (with a gracious smile on their face - that's important) and put on your slippers. I would rather you provide dust covers for shoes, it would put me more at ease, but probably make you uncomfy, since it's a more direct way of implying "guests aren't sterile enough for our environment."

Ya just know, every item in the place is shined and precisely set in it's perfect place. Hmmm - It screams "do not touch can't touch anything in this house" - very uncomfortable to attempt to sit gingerly in such pristine 'palaces'. ......atleast for me anyway.

Sounds like the Bouquet Residence (''keeping up appearances'' tv show)

Sounds like the Bouquet Residence (''keeping up appearances'' tv show)

Precisely! :D

• Advertisement

B00! wrote: »
    Ya just know, every item in the place is shined and precisely set in it's perfect place. Hmmm - It screams "do not touch anything in this house" - very uncomfortable to attempt to sit gingerly in such pristine 'palaces'. ......atleast for me anyway.

That is quite obviously the Snow Queens Palace, and not The Bucket Residence!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

glitter paint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Mm no if you're coming into my house you can take your shoes off. Also if I could find glitter paint my house eoilf be a giant disco ball

Mm no if you're coming into my house you can take your shoes off. Also if I could find glitter paint my house eoilf be a giant disco ball
    all you need is fine glitter and a tin of paint. Do your first coat as normal then add in the glitter for the second coat
    I sell paint so i'm over the whole glitter thing
    I also think brick effect wallpaper has a special place in hell

Where does one find fine glitter?

• Advertisement

Does the paint not make the glitter less glittery

no you can see it pretty well I've tried it out in work its pretty effective . You can get fine glitter for paint in B&Q or online

Candie wrote: »
    That is quite obviously the Snow Queens Palace, and not The Bucket Residence!

I know too many :rolleyes: queens then.

Spudgun wrote: »
    no you can see it pretty well I've tried it out in work its pretty effective . You can get fine glitter for paint in B&Q or online

Any colours it works best with?

Any colours it works best with?
    Grey and Silver glitter works well I've tried that at work
    I've also done a brown and gold glitter and a pink and gold glitter
    I think it works best with a matt paint

Grey and Silver glitter works well I've tried that at work
    I've also done a brown and gold glitter and a pink and gold glitter
    I think it works best with a matt paint
    If you have any pics, I'd really like you to pm me if you get a chance

Glitter paint would look like it's too busy on a wall IMO. If you want it who am I to tell you not to have it though. Even adorning walls with a bazillion pictures looks horrific to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I have a whitey creamy carpet on my stairs. With four kids. Would never ask people to take their shoes off. I suck it up and clean any mess up afterwards. You can't have people feeling uncomfortable in your home. Some do offer but I tell them not to worry. We wear slippers and the kids know they better bloody take their shoes off before going up the stairs (where I come undone in this plan is when they have been out the back in their bare feet! ).

And yes it was an insane move on my husband and my parts but it was our dream house and we were excited. I would do it again. Just get mats or some cover for the bottom two steps!

I love these rooms :)

I don't like these ones :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

They all look nice but that last image has the bed in the very center off the room, that my idea of hell at a minimum the headboard should be by the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They all look nice but that last image has the bed in the very center off the room, that my idea of hell at a minimum the headboard should be by the wall.

Agreed, the bed wouldn't work up against the window either.

The rug underneath the bed is all wrong too. A rug should be big enough to "take" the furniture on it. It's too small, 2 legs on, 2 of it.

PARlance wrote: »
    Agreed, the bed wouldn't work up against the window either.

The rug underneath the bed is all wrong too. A rug should be big enough to "take" the furniture on it. It's too small, 2 legs on, 2 of it.

Saw an image of how to correctly place a rug in a bedroom and according to that photo Persepoly shared it's right. It apparently elongates the room whereas if you put it all under the 4 legs of the bed it makes the room look smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

KKkitty wrote: »
    Saw an image of how to correctly place a rug in a bedroom and according to that photo Persepoly shared it's right. It apparently elongates the room whereas if you put it all under the 4 legs of the bed it makes the room look smaller.

Well give me a smaller looking room because I couldn't cope with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

glitter paint

Jesus.

Who uses this?
    I could understand if it was 10 y/o girls who still play with dolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't like these ones :)
    The one thing I noticed here is that all the rooms you love have large, open expansive windows.

The ones you don't have either no windows (visible), or they're tiny/obscured.

There's a lot of other differences, obviously, but that struck me.

Windows are good (but a pain to keep clean :D)

But what a room! Look at the window!
    Ah Persepoly and her dreamy head :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

All of those rooms have high ceilings. Same furniture in an average modern Irish house will look very much out of place. I think the context is usually just as important as content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    All of those rooms have high ceilings. Same furniture in an average modern Irish house will look very much out of place. I think the context is usually just as important as content.

That's right. The proportions are important when it comes to interiors. Something else is the functionality of your home and how you want it to work for you. Small children and a minimalist concrete cube don't really go together.

Advertisement