Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm not sure I want to get into all this again but...

How do you know we would never be able to? It would certainly be very difficult but all I hear is excuses. He went into detail regarding the situation with NI on the latest podcast. My day-to-day has nothing to do with borders or how the EU operates so maybe I am ignorant to how it's literally impossible.

To be honest I have no expertise whatsoever, I presume it's possible in theory but I can't see our government ever attempting it. Even if they tried I assume they'd mess it up somehow. Definitely an interesting topic though.

Bit of a can of worms to open here I suppose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'm not sure I want to get into all this again but...

How do you know we would never be able to? It would certainly be very difficult but all I hear is excuses. He went into detail regarding the situation with NI on the latest podcast. My day-to-day has nothing to do with borders or how the EU operates so maybe I am ignorant to how it's literally impossible.

It's simple. We have a land border with the UK that is not policed in any way and impossible to do so as it is approx 500km in length as well as the sensitivities of the Good Friday Agreement. Thousands also cross this border every day for essential work, deliveries etc. So the only way to go for 'Zero Covid' would be to get Northern Ireland to join us in doing so. That's never going to happen with the DUP in the North, they wouldn't even extend their 'Lockdown Lite' past the 4 weeks mark. How could you try convince them to have a border check with the rest of the UK and join with us?

Unless Ryan and Co. come up with some workable answer to the above which they never have they should stop going in about 'Zero Covid' here imo.

It's equally simple, a whole island policy would not be impossible. It was done for Foot-and-mouth disease, although obviously a very different situation. There are plenty of institutions that operate within Ireland as a whole. Policing 500km land border is not feasible of course. You could convince them with the clear benefits of suppressing the virus, to the degree that other successful countries have. The entire hospitality industry would be saved overnight. There would a huge drop in PUP payments. Convince them that its a temporary measure that will definitely be rolled back once this is all over. Not even attempting this is utterly infuriating given we're only two nations on an Island. Other countries would be hopping at the opportunity. But apparently coming in and out of lockdowns for the next year or so is a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

It's equally simple, a whole island policy would not be impossible. It was done for Foot-and-mouth disease, although obviously a very different situation. There are plenty of institutions that operate within Ireland as a whole. Policing 500km land border is not feasible of course. You could convince them with the clear benefits of suppressing the virus, to the degree that other successful countries have. The entire hospitality industry would be saved overnight. There would a huge drop in PUP payments. Convince them that its a temporary measure that will definitely be rolled back once this is all over. Not even attempting this is utterly infuriating given we're only two nations on an Island. Other countries would be hopping at the opportunity. But apparently coming in and out of lockdowns for the next year or so is a better option.

Good luck trying to convince the DUP of that. I cannot see anyway in which they'll have restrictions with the rest of the UK which is in simple terms what is needed for 'Zero Covid' here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Nothing about Robert Fisk but there is time to talk ****e with Giles.

• Advertisement

There’s no point getting angry about this on here as the gov are not going to change their tune now.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

I know people here aren't his biggest fan but Tomas Ryan continues to be the commentator that makes the most sense to me. I wish we could follow a bolder strategy like many other countries did such as Australia. Instead we're going to be in perpetual rolling lockdowns for the next year at least.

he's an insufferable absolute gee bag.

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    he's an insufferable absolute gee bag.

Well said

I see The Stand's favourite son Tomas Ryan is being pilloried across the board for his ridiculous Christmas suggestion. Thoroughly deserved too.

Eamo better not have this spoofer on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Nothing about Robert Fisk but there is time to talk ****e with Giles.

I had expected this would happen, and had just assumed I had missed it. Wonder why his passing has not been mentioned?

• Advertisement

Genghis wrote: »
    I had expected this would happen, and had just assumed I had missed it. Wonder why his passing has not been mentioned?

Don’t know

El Sueño wrote: »
    I see The Stand's favourite son Tomas Ryan is being pilloried across the board for his ridiculous Christmas suggestion. Thoroughly deserved too.

Eamo better not have this spoofer on again.

Pillared by hacks like Ciara Kelly, et.al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

in fairness do you think recommending xmas be celebrated at the end of January is a worthwhile recommendation and something that a nation would actually go for? Bizarre recommendation.

in fairness do you think recommending xmas be celebrated at the end of January is a worthwhile recommendation and something that a nation would actually go for? Bizarre recommendation.

They do that in Spain. I think the notion that things won’t be ok in November 30 but will the next day is a bit stupid. What I do thing Ryan highlights is the fact the government have not done anything to improve testing n tracking it’s really baffling. They say o we can’t cause of the north but most other countries have land borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Had a listen back to his latest chat with Brendan O'Neil.

Definite change of tactics towards him from Eamonn, he really challenged him on his Good Friday Agreement ignorance.

Long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Had a listen back to his latest chat with Brendan O'Neil.

Definite change of tactics towards him from Eamonn, he really challenged him on his Good Friday Agreement ignorance.

Long overdue.

I must check that out. The idea of Brendan being called on his pontificating appeals to me.

Episode 933 Brendan O’Neil.

I think we’ve crossed the rubicon with Brendan he was more subdued but it didn’t take much for his swivelling eyes to pick up speed. Eamon did tackle him well though with a few crunchers.
    It must be difficult for him now living in Jingoland, the brexit cyst about to burst. Prime minister Cummings and his lap dog Boris found fiddling. Surrounded by paddy’s, yanks, the cutthroat EU, what did Britain ever do to deserve this, “Bigly”

I didn't see a single person agreeing with him, most were laughing at such an idiotic suggestion, and rightly so. Honestly I'm embarrassed for him.

I didn't see a single person agreeing with him, most were laughing at such an idiotic suggestion, and rightly so. Honestly I'm embarrassed for him.

People are talking about it which was the point. Is it more idiotic to keep things lockdown or to reenter lockdown in February, I don't know.

People are talking about it which was the point. Is it more idiotic to keep things lockdown or to reenter lockdown in February, I don't know.

One thing I'll give T Ryan credit for is raising his own profile which is important in the research game. I have nothing against him personally but he just needs to drop the zero covid stuff

• Advertisement

One thing I'll give T Ryan credit for is raising his own profile which is important in the research game. I have nothing against him personally but he just needs to drop the zero covid stuff

Because it doesnt work or were just to incompetent to try it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I fear for this new pod :D

Ep 935: Right Wing Hacks, After Dinner Speakers and Journalists - No Way to Govern. Chris Johns talks to Eamon. #BorisJohnson #Brexit

https://twitter.com/Dunphy_Official/status/1327510336216457221?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I see Dunphy's crime contributor to The Stand, Nicolla Tallant, has her own Sunday World podcast starting tomorrow. A weekly crime show surprisingly featuring Fr Brian Darcy. Will give it a listen but no doubt just rehashing old familiar crime stories.

No Tomas Ryan today

Instead we get Anthony Staines

Another zero covid advocate

Do people really want to listen to this every second day?

Change the record Eamo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Don't think I've listened to any of the Covid podcasts at all. So sick of hearing about it every day, the last thing I'd want to do would be to seek out more Covid material.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I see Dunphy's crime contributor to The Stand, Nicolla Tallant, has her own Sunday World podcast starting tomorrow. A weekly crime show surprisingly featuring Fr Brian Darcy. Will give it a listen but no doubt just rehashing old familiar crime stories.

I enjoy listening to her when she is on with Eamo so I'll give her podcast a listen.

Episode 1 - The Hunt for Kevin Parle - is out.
    Two gangland murders. A missing fugitive. And a former Scotland Yard Detective intent on hunting him down. This week on Crime World Nicola Tallant talks to Peter Bleksley about suspect Kevin Parle who has remained on the run for more than 15 years. We hear about the shocking murders he is wanted for and how Bleksley believes he is being helped by an Irish criminal gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Will Nicola Tallant continue on with Dunphy’s podcast now anymore?

Mick Clifford stopped once he started his own podcast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think Naomi O'Leary is an excellent contributor. I make sure to listen to all the pods she's on.

I automatically skip all of the covid pods now. There's far too many of them.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I think Naomi O'Leary is an excellent contributor. I make sure to listen to all the pods she's on.

I automatically skip all of the covid pods now. There's far too many of them.

She has her own podcast too now.

• Advertisement

No Tomas Ryan today

Instead we get Anthony Staines

Another zero covid advocate

Do people really want to listen to this every second day?

Change the record Eamo

They have predicted what would happen re lockdowns etc almost to the day whilst the regular media harps on about personality clashes.

Advertisement