Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Frost countrywide + Occasional Snow Showers in the East from Thursday 9th Feb

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

I'd take that Hirlam Rebel :D

Only thing I'd add is you need Zero or below dew points
    It can wet snow up to 1c but you are pushing it

Here's a rough guide to wet bulb temps needed for snow
    I generally don't look at those because I'd be hoping they'd be ok if dew points are sub zero

https://www.snowathome.com/pdf/wet_bulb_chart_celsius.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I'm fairly confident there will be some light hail/snow flurries commencing early tomorrow peppering the east coast. Enough for accumulation ? Probably only temp dusting. But I'd be bullish for light flurries feeding in at times from midnight until 1800 Sat... Then a more watery precip type.... Low capped showers at around 800hPa but frozen throughout the layer... I'm hopeful the Greater Dublin area will have a dusting on Sat morning...

2 attachments from the 06Z GFS would be pretty good news for the East and as the day progresses for South Dublin through Wicklow Kildare and North Wexford
    First one is 7am Sat morning
    Second is 4pm Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I'm fairly confident there will be some light hail/snow flurries commencing early tomorrow peppering the east coast. Enough for accumulation ? Probably only temp dusting. But I'd be bullish for light flurries feeding in at times from midnight until 1800 Sat... Then a more watery precip type.... Low capped showers at around 800hPa but frozen throughout the layer... I'm hopeful the Greater Dublin area will have a dusting on Sat morning...
    Anything for today,swear something will fall out there by the looks of it,and it wont be my nuts as they are in my arm pits!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitter bitter wind up here; even the dog wanted back in as I dragged 20 k coal sacks into the fuel bay and brought armfuls of turf into the cottage. Frigid out there and purple clouds dragging across the more northerly mountains. West Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The eagle was pretty bullish on the 755am radio one forecast this morning for widespread wintry showers in the East Saturday and Sunday

Please allow me decode that for you
    There shall be snow:D

He wasn't exactly as bullish as you make out. He said the showers will become increasingly wintry on Saturday but didn't mention widespread. Still, Saturday into Sunday does look like the best chance of heaviest precipitation as the inverted upper trough approaches from England. It's a short window, however, before the milder air gets us. A 36-hr flirt with some wintry showers I suppose is better than nothing.

@ Su campu I definitely heard the word widespread referring to the east

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snow grains here at the moment. I hope those who want snow in the east of Ireland get some this weekend, if you don't get it at low level, then go to the mountains if you can.
    Because longer term, i am losing hope for a reload of cold as its looks like the curse of a west based nao is going to ensure any block to the north west of Ireland is too far west, leaving us in a mild southwesterly flow, as the cold plunges down over the mid Atlantic.
    I hope this reverse psychology works

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind would cut you in two here in Waterford City. Max Gust 59km/h. Bright morning all the same but certainly doesn't feel like the 6.4c its showing at my station.
    With regards our chances of seeing the white stuff this weekend i would be confident enough that we may see a shower or two. All the ingredients will be there so lets see who gets what.

I have two live streams on my website which some may find interesting

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxstream.php

Meanwhile
    18c yesterday in Philadelphia

This morning they have a blizzard:)

http://www.fox29.com/philadelphia-webcam

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

There won't even one snow flake land

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Meanwhile
    18c yesterday in Philadelphia

This morning they have a blizzard:)

http://www.fox29.com/philadelphia-webcam

I have family over there. So i have been keeping up with it. Last year they had a major storm that deposited 22 inches of snow. Imagine the civil war that would break out on this forum if that happened in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Graces7 wrote: »
    Bitter bitter wind up here; even the dog wanted back in as I dragged 20 k coal sacks into the fuel bay and brought armfuls of turf into the cottage. Frigid out there and purple clouds dragging across the more northerly mountains. West Galway

Have you fled from the Kingdom?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Fancy a bet on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Fancy a bet on this?

I bet a big fat snowman that i'll get snow here in Dublin 16

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Have you fled from the Kingdom?:)

Indeed yes! A month ago now... ;) Escaped, but I miss Killarney so much. Landlord wanted his house back :eek:

Different here and different weather... Higher up ! And the ponies wear coats in cold weather...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horsefarm wrote: »
    I bet a big fat snowman that i'll get snow here in Dublin 16

:P

everywhere in the east will probably see 'snow' but probably won't be enough to stick in most areas. We could wake up with a dusting which won't last long during daylight hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Streamer train alive and kicking off Louth moving NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Streamer train alive and kicking off Louth moving NW.

Expect these light showers to continue, though not amounting to much. Then slowly come further south as winds turn more easterly tonight into tomorrow and then N. easterly into Saturday
    nmm_uk1-3-8-0_urb7.png

nmm_uk1-3-23-0_ggl4.png

nmm_uk1-3-33-0_uou1.png

Still seems like the best chance for anything more than just a dusting ( though probably above 200m ) will be Saturday evening as a vort streak associated with an upper level low passes across the country. Most of Leinster again being the area to watch for that.
    60-189UK_mvd5.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Very cold already here on the high ground north east of Kilkenny city:
    220M asl

Temp 3.2C
    DP 1.2C

The high for the day was 5.2C at 3.37am

Winter is coming...even if just temporarily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We are getting into really chilly continental airmass now. Temp falling as the day progresses 4C -2C dp at EIDW

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

4.2C in Castlebar currently with a 2.5DP, feeling a lot more raw in a moderate south-westerly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

We are getting into really chilly continental airmass now. Temp falling as the day progresses 4C -2C dp at EIDW

Indeed. Overcast here in Dublin 16. 3.7c DP -0.1c atm.

Any ppn from now onwards could be wintry.

Very light precipitation in Dundalk the last couple of hours, feels a bit sleety.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Lucan is 4.6 degrees with a DP of -2.5. There's a steady drop at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

-9.6c here in Southern Poland....Your in our air now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bits of rain falling in D20..... the suspense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not looking good for snow now looking at the latest from Met Eireann, only cold thing mentioned is hail in the showers.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Light precip showing up between IOM and down, no shadow in effect as such for streamers at present?

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not looking good for snow now looking at the latest from Met Eireann, only cold thing mentioned is hail in the showers.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

"It'll become cold and frosty overnight. Most places will remain dry but there's a risk of a light passing shower, possibly turning wintry, especially along the east and northeast coasts."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement