Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

maryishere wrote: »
    All very nice and dandy but you have not answered the question: The question remains: would you send your kids to a school with 95% immigrants, many of who are non-English speakers/ assylum seekers / muslim etc. A simple yes or no will suffice. Do you blame the teacher in the school for sending her own kids to a GaelScoil?

If 95% of the pupils didn't speak English then no. But that's not mentioned anywhere and I don't believe it to be the case.

As for the teacher and the GaelScoil, that's her choice. None of my business where she sends her kids or why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I have no problem in anyway with an individual who comes here to work and contributes to society. You can learn a lot from other cultures, and getting to know different ethnicities.

But why should we tolerate the risk of people committing this kind of act, when we open the floodgates. It was a completely myopic stance from the EU, countries were effectively passing the buck, and there was little or no vetting of these individuals.

With all the political dickswinging and being involved in a competition to see how many immigrants we can take in from the Mediterranean, we are losing sight I feel of how advanced other EU countries are with this issue compared to us.

The problem in Brussels and Paris is that there are huge suburbs of ethnic cultures with individuals who are here to scrub off the western system, and who don't integrate properly and stay with their own. They for the most part are bitter at the two-tiered society and their mistreatment, however also self-entitled in my view as they expect to build a life and have income handed out. (Have you ever seen the ethnicity of the beggars in Brussels, I shiver when you get a meek "sil vous plait" in your ear) Then some bright spark has an ideology, that captures the imagination, lets cause a bit of general mayhem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I think its more Eastern Europeans who are now the majority intake in Bolton Street, are the Irish students going elsewhere because of this.It was a friend of a lecturer there who mentioned this to me, seemingly the college counsellors are run off their feet with the problems the non national students have adjusting to different cultures.

I know the RCSI is full of non nationals too,wasn't this college built with Malaysian money, hopefully the Muslims don't start building their own building on UCD lands, they are already applying to build more of their own primary schools and then they will want their own segregated secondary schools too.

What happens when Britain exits the EU and they don't have to take Eastern European citizens in, do they come in much greater numbers to us then.Its not as if thousands of Irish people want to move to Poland to make way for Polish people, where are all these people to live in the event the numbers increase ten fold after Brexit.

of course the teacher sent her child to a Gaelscoil, any of us would as would most of the lefty type living in Ranelagh.They have an even better way of giving their children the edge, its called a matter of eight thousand euros a year in fees.Its no co incidence that most of the private schools are in the areas where the lefty politically correct live.They can go hang out drinking lattes and reading the Guardian in their little cafes without fear of coming across refugees being radicalised in Ballina.

They are all for immigration too because it means they can get nannies and au pairs for next to nothing and save a whack of money on childcare costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I was only there last Friday and there were a lot of soldiers about the place.

Glad to see no one was hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd rather send my kids to a school where the other kids weren't exposed to bigoted, sectarian, racist, uneducated and plain old nasty influences in the home, no matter where they come from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Mary63 wrote: »
    I think its more Eastern Europeans who are now the majority intake in Bolton Street, are the Irish students going elsewhere because of this.It was a friend of a lecturer there who mentioned this to me, seemingly the college counsellors are run off their feet with the problems the non national students have adjusting to different cultures.

I know the RCSI is full of non nationals too,wasn't this college built with Malaysian money, hopefully the Muslims don't start building their own building on UCD lands, they are already applying to build more of their own primary schools and then they will want their own segregated secondary schools too.

What happens when Britain exits the EU and they don't have to take Eastern European citizens in, do they come in much greater numbers to us then.Its not as if thousands of Irish people want to move to Poland to make way for Polish people, where are all these people to live in the event the numbers increase ten fold after Brexit.

of course the teacher sent her child to a Gaelscoil, any of us would as would most of the lefty type living in Ranelagh.They have an even better way of giving their children the edge, its called a matter of eight thousand euros a year in fees.Its no co incidence that most of the private schools are in the areas where the lefty politically correct live.They can go hang out drinking lattes and reading the Guardian in their little cafes without fear of coming across refugees being radicalised in Ballina.

They are all for immigration too because it means they can get nannies and au pairs for next to nothing and save a whack of money on childcare costs.

That's some ill informed rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Collie D wrote: »
    That's some ill informed rant.
    Welcome to the post truth era, where all that matters is what people want to hear, not what they need to hear.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

All very nice and dandy but you have not answered the question: The question remains: would you send your kids to a school with 95% immigrants, many of who are non-English speakers/ assylum seekers / muslim etc. A simple yes or no will suffice. Do you blame the teacher in the school for sending her own kids to a GaelScoil?

If it was proven that 95% didn't speak English and there weren't enough resources to get everyone up to speed, then no, I probably wouldn't, regardless of their ethnicities. (We have no evidence though that that's the case). But if the school had a good reputation and good scores for literacy and numeracy (like the school with 90% immigrants in the article does, in fact), then I would.

Don't read too much into where teachers send their kids. In cities and bigger towns where there's a choice of schools, it's very common for teachers not to send their kids to their own school to make things less awkward for all involved. Not one of the 80+ teachers in my secondary school had kids there as far as I know. I have a sibling who's a teacher now and their school is the same (despite having a good reputation etc).

Teachers don't live in areas where refugees are sent or where people from Eastern Europe live, these areas are hugely disadvantaged and the locals don't have the necessary contacts or know how to do the not in my backyard stuff.The incoming refugees from supposedly Syria are being sent as far from the leafy Dublin suburbs as geographically possible.

Teachers are very pushy and competitive academically for their own children, thats my experience of the ones I know anyway.They want the very best schools possible for their own children and they have the means to find out how schools are performing through their own personal contacts.You won't find teachers sending their children to schools where even ten per cent of the children don't have english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Teachers don't live in areas where refugees are sent or where people from Eastern Europe live, these areas are hugely disadvantaged and the locals don't have the necessary contacts or know how to do the not in my backyard stuff.The incoming refugees from supposedly Syria are being sent as far from the leafy Dublin suburbs as geographically possible.

Teachers are very pushy and competitive academically for their own children, thats my experience of the ones I know anyway.They want the very best schools possible for their own children and they have the means to find out how schools are performing through their own personal contacts.You won't find teachers sending their children to schools where even ten per cent of the children don't have english.
    One of My best friend is a young wan from eastern europe.....

Theres hardly a person under 30 who isn't friends/hasn't dated/tried to,a person from eastern europe

Ireland and eastern European are remarkably well integrated to such an extent that it's only a matter of time before some appear on county gaa teams (some have on minor level)

Using them as a scare mongering tactic vs Muslims is a remarkablely sandy foundation for an argument

• Advertisement

I grew up with lots of kids, some of whom were from different backgrounds and nationalities, that is what helps make me broadminded and seeing things from other peoples point of view. In those days most were white though, I do not think decades ago there were schools in Ireland with over 90% of their pupils immigrants.
    I also worked abroad for a number of years, where I integrated fully with people of different nationalities ( instead of immersing myself in Irish clubs / bars / pubs associations etc ).

The question remains: would you send your kids to a school with 95% immigrants, many of who are non-English speakers/ assylum seekers / muslim etc. A simple yes or no will suffice. Do you blame the teacher in the school for sending her own kids to a GaelScoil?

Yes I would.
    I don't care where the teacher sends her own kids

They aren't getting on that well in Bolton Street, does anyone going to Bolton Street know what the situation is.I have a son looking at courses in DIT and I don't want him making a mistake.I was told by someone else that a lot of the lecturers in DIT are non national too and they don't turn up a lot of the time.I was surprised to hear this because I thought the DITS were supposed to be very good.

I couldn't care less about county GAA teams and nor do the vast majority of the population despite endless coverage of the matches.How come the GAA have sixteen ill ion euros in money stashed away and I am constantly annoyed out shopping by GAA heads in lurid nylon tops shaking buckets of coins at me while offering to "pack my bags".

Is there that many of the Eastern europeans here that so many Irish under thirty have dated one, that is too many for a small Island like us.

Poles on the other hand no matter how many there are won't attack us with hatchets in the National Gallery.

You obviously don't have children Bubblypops, come back and answer that question when you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

They aren't getting on that well in Bolton Street, does anyone going to Bolton Street know what the situation is.I have a son looking at courses in DIT and I don't want him making a mistake.I was told by someone else that a lot of the lecturers in DIT are non national too and they don't turn up a lot of the time.I was surprised to hear this because I thought the DITS were supposed to be very good.

I couldn't care less about county GAA teams and nor do the vast majority of the population despite endless coverage of the matches.How come the GAA have sixteen ill ion euros in money stashed away and I am constantly annoyed out shopping by GAA heads in lurid nylon tops shaking buckets of coins at me while offering to "pack my bags".

Is there that many of the Eastern europeans here that so many Irish under thirty have dated one, that is too many for a small Island like us.

Poles on the other hand no matter how many there are won't attack us with hatchets in the National Gallery.

You obviously don't have children Bubblypops, come back and answer that question when you do.

Send him to DCU, in UCD and Trinity he'l just become a pretentious knob

What sort of rubbish is this?
    Teachers don't live in ballaghadreen?
    Eastern Europeans live in disadvantaged areas? Where in the world do you get this rubbish from

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You get told an awful lot of things by people don't you? You make many posts in these threads quoting hearsay without ever posting anything to back up these ludicrous claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Surly of lecutters aren't turging up for work they should be sacked?

The gaa reference is an indication of how well integrated they are :)
    With over a million members it's a substantial culrural/sporting organisation in this country. ...despite your disinterest in irish culture and sport....which eastern Europeans seem to have more Interest than you??

If your son has ever set foot inside a gym he most likely knows a few eastern Europeans and is probably wary of saying to you

I attended Bolton St, many many years ago. I attended with students from all over the world & yes I had non national lecturers too. What is the problem with this?
    I obviously don't want my kids growing up bigoted racists

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I is one of the lekturers in DIT. I don't like to working and also I eats white babies.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

osarusan wrote: »
    I is one of the lekturers in DIT. I don't like to working and also I eats white babies.

Moved on from Swans have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The thing I love about this forum is no matter what the thread is about there is always a person who uses it as an opportunity to have a dig at the GAA. Keep it up After Hours.

By the way the GAA actually has sixteen billion (not million) euros stashed away and it's in a big vault under Croke Park and Padraic Duffy spends his evenings swimming around in all the money like Scrooge McDuck.

• Advertisement

I don't care how much money the GAA has but I do want them to stop annoying me begging for money every time I go to a supermarket.

Why can't they give some of the money they have to the clubs.

Nothing wrong with attending a university with people from all over the world but if I want to attend a college full of Eastern Europeans I will go to Poland.Have the white Irish deserted Bolton Street in great numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I don't care how much money the GAA has but I do want them to stop annoying me begging for money every time I go to a supermarket.

Sure the same could be said for the catholic church.

Nothing wrong with attending a university with people from all over the world but if I want to attend a college full of Eastern Europeans I will go to Poland.Have the white Irish deserted Bolton Street in great numbers.

Why don't you tell us? You are the one making these ludicrous and bigoted claims how about showing some evidence to back up your claims instead of your usual "i heard from/someone told me" hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

They are in the inner city,I can't remember exactly where.The principal was a lefty type, she was saying integration is wonderful but then she had no white Irish children in the school at all or very few.You can bet your life her own children were in some Gaelscoil somewhere else.

I wouldn't enrol my children in a school were they were the only child who could speak english, imagine feeling like a non national in your own country.There are far too many non nationals living in this small Island now and we can't afford to take anymore in.Its the people struggling on very low incomes and on social welfare and queuing for surgery in public hospitals who are paying the price, not the likes of the Irish Times readers who think multi culturalism is great.

You know what? As someone who will soon be a father to a mixed race child it worries me slightly that if I bring him/her back to Ireland for a visit they're perhaps going to have to deal with seething, hateful, ill-informed people passing judgement on them for having the temerity to exist in their presence.

I'm glad you're aware of the problems of the poor and unemployed in Ireland (although I suspect you rant and rave about them too when they aren't a convenient stick to beat migrants with); however your choice of people to blame is way off. The Irish health service is in a sh*t state for a variety of reasons, migrants isn't one of them. In fact, migrants such as Filipino nurses and the dreaded Muslim Sudanese and Pakistani doctors contribute a lot to it. If you want to blame low wages then target the likes of IBEC who are constantly looking to drive wages down and if you want to rail against a lack of social housing then blame successive governments who refuse to build any. Believe me, some Hungarian working in Lidl is not the source of Ireland's problems.

Likewise it's clear from your post that you literally have no personal experience (despite your many fictitious anecdotes) of what you're on about. You make these ridiculously blasé and generalising comments about places like London, Paris and "de Muslims" that are just childlike in their simplicity - totally unaware of how stupid it is to surmise global cities in a sentence or categorise hundreds of millions of human beings into some simplistic hive-minded danger to you and yours.

There is definitely a worthwhile and sincere debate to be had on subjects such as migration and integration, however all you're offering is Daily Mail horror stories, bullsh*t generalisations and a nasty undertone of hostility and bitterness underlining it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

fullstop wrote: »
    Outraged level...100?

I can't actually believe you've managed to turn a thread about a terrorist attacking a soldier into yet another fcuking gender mud-slinging match :rolleyes: Are there not enough threads you can and do that on already?

Singlehandedly? I didn't realise I was the only one commenting on the subject. If I remember correctly it was already going that way when I first commented. You seem to outraged one to me. With the swearing and actually taking the time to give out..

Sure a boards comment is way more heinous than what the comment was objecting to. Lovely priorities!

The GAA sends about 90% of the money it takes in at central council level down through the organisation.

Running a GAA club (or any sports club) is quiet costly, so the money taken in a central level doesn't come near to cover the cost of the thousands of GAA clubs in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Correct, and its no surprise that the teachers do not send their own kids to schools which have over 90% immigrants in them.

Correct, and its no surprise that the teachers do not send their own kids to schools which have over 90% immigrants in them.

In how many schools in Ireland are 90% of the students immigrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

FTA69 wrote: »
    You know what? As someone who will soon be a father to a mixed race child it worries me slightly that if I bring him/her back to Ireland for a visit they're perhaps going to have to deal with seething, hateful, ill-informed people passing judgement on them for having the temerity to exist in their presence.

I'm glad you're aware of the problems of the poor and unemployed in Ireland (although I suspect you rant and rave about them too when they aren't a convenient stick to beat migrants with); however your choice of people to blame is way off. The Irish health service is in a sh*t state for a variety of reasons, migrants isn't one of them. In fact, migrants such as Filipino nurses and the dreaded Muslim Sudanese and Pakistani doctors contribute a lot to it. If you want to blame low wages then target the likes of IBEC who are constantly looking to drive wages down and if you want to rail against a lack of social housing then blame successive governments who refuse to build any. Believe me, some Hungarian working in Lidl is not the source of Ireland's problems.

Likewise it's clear from your post that you literally have no personal experience (despite your many fictitious anecdotes) of what you're on about. You make these ridiculously blasé and generalising comments about places like London, Paris and "de Muslims" that are just childlike in their simplicity - totally unaware of how stupid it is to surmise global cities in a sentence or categorise hundreds of millions of human beings into some simplistic hive-minded danger to you and yours.

There is definitely a worthwhile and sincere debate to be had on subjects such as migration and integration, however all you're offering is Daily Mail horror stories, bullsh*t generalisations and a nasty undertone of hostility and bitterness underlining it all.

With mixed race people in my family all I can say is you might well encounter it but most of our experiences have been good in Ireland. What people say on Boards isn't reflected in their real life behaviour imo.

I actually think it's simplistic to be writing off the poster's comments as De Muslims comments. Islam deserves to be critiqued like any other religion. Frankly they are all laughable in this day and age and in some cases they are dangerous to believers and unbelievers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

In how many schools in Ireland are 90% of the students immigrants?
    Thats not the point. Would YOU send you kids to a school with 90% immigrants. Where the parents outside the school gates mostly are asylum seekers, muslims etc?

• Advertisement

The hungarian working in lidl has to have somewhere to live so he is driving up the price of rent for the Irish person.We don't have room on this small Island for half of Poland and a third of Hungary and we are going to be taking Britains share of Eastern europeans too when Britain closes its doors.How are we planning for this now.

The only worthy argument to be had about migration is how do we control the numbers and do we disperse non natives to parts of the country that need GAA players and away from the areas that already have too many people.There is no such thing as integration of Muslims, check out Brussela and Paris for evidence of that.The Poles and the Hungarians don't really want to integrate either, they want to make money and return to their own countries and when the economy dipped most of them did leave.Its worrying now though that if they cant get into the UK they will all want to come in here and we can't cope with them.They dont pose a danger tour way of life now or in the future so aren't a huge security concern like the Muslims are.

The muslims are the most seething, hateful ill informed people of all, I would say if we bugged their mosques we would hear some very interesting speeches.

If the GAA has sixteen billion in reserves it isn't sending its resources to the local clubs, they wouldn't be out looking for coppers from weary shoppers if they had cash in the bank account.Its mostly the female camogie players you see out begging though, do they get any of the sixteen billion sitting in the Bank.

Advertisement