Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citywest Village Launch Spring 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Fortunestown road knackers. Hopefully a bunch of them get locked up for that. Astounding destruction, someone thought they were in GTA or something.

Think we should get that other access road closed off now before it even gets built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

I feel sorry for anyone who has bought our there. Last night was probably one of the most expensive of their lives.

I can't imagine selling in CityWest will be a good experience from now on - one would have to expect property values to plunge out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Vronsky wrote: »
    I feel sorry for anyone who has bought our there. Last night was probably one of the most expensive of their lives.

I can't imagine selling in CityWest will be a good experience from now on - one would have to expect property values to plunge out there.

Ah relax, it was appalling behaviour, it really was, but property prices are not going to plunge.

myshirt wrote: »
    Ah relax, it was appalling behaviour, it really was, but property prices are not going to plunge.

Who is going to pay 400k for a house down the road from that? You'd want to be insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Who is going to pay 400k for a house down the road from that? You'd want to be insane.

Weren't a good few of these gentlemen from Santry, Clonsilla,, etc? This was a freak incident by pure scumbags.

• Advertisement

Weren't a good few of these gentlemen from Santry, Clonsilla,, etc? This was a freak incident by pure scumbags.

A freak incident, an act of God?!

No it was scum on the rampage, a stones throw from plenty of property that's for sale on Daft at the moment.

After last night's antics, you couldn't pay me to live out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Vronsky wrote:

It was insane before last night. It didn't become a kip over night.

Don't underestimate people's lack of due diligence and ability to spend the banks money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

In the past couple of months I’ve read about Acid attacks in dun laoghaire, husband murdering wife and jumping out window in Ranelagh, armed robbery in Portmarnock. Multiple gangland shootings all over the place. Let’s face, Dublin in general is a kip. I spent 570k on a house in Rathfarnham, and I find planned social housing nearby, a halting site less than 1k away. I see tons of litter and dodgy behavior when I travel down stocking lane each morning and afternoon, when traveling to work. If your buying an affordable house in Dublin, the absolute best you can hope for is to have good neighbors, which due to prices here, you probably will. you’ll have great access to Luas, M50, N7. Less than 20k from city center and a decent community. People are paying a hell of a lot more for half of that.

What happened last night is not a reflection on Jobstown, it’s a reflection on the state of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

kerplun k wrote: »
    What happened last night is not a reflection on Jobstown, it’s a reflection on the state of Dublin.

Disagree, to be honest it's a reflection on how people dwelling in the ironically named Jobstown have been consistently told how what is in essence a free loading lifestyle is okay, and that they can do what they like. Sure it's a reflection on Ireland in general on how you can get away with almost anything and not pay for it, but after the Jobstown 'no way we won't pay' protest I think it's a damn good reflection on how a sour ideaology can be pushed on a community.

Don't think property prices will be too affected though, and if they are it'll be short term.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Disagree, to be honest it's a reflection on how people dwelling in the ironically named Jobstown have been consistently told how what is in essence a free loading lifestyle is okay, and that they can do what they like. Sure it's a reflection on Ireland in general on how you can get away with almost anything and not pay for it, but after the Jobstown 'no way we won't pay' protest I think it's a damn good reflection on how a sour ideaology can be pushed on a community.

Don't think property prices will be too affected though, and if they are it'll be short term.

To be fair, this was spearheaded by a moron, who gathered an angry mob, and behaved disgracefully. I’m just takes one Monkey with an agenda to cause havoc. This could have been any social housing suburb. It amazed that man is not in jail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I drove into the Citywest shopping centre one afternoon and for the first time in my life I felt afraid. There were gangs of new Irish teens coming from all directions and this really small security jeep was circling the carpark. The shops had barred anyone under eighteen entering without an adult, the doors to the shops had been shut and had to be opened by security guards.

I left as quick as I could and will never break a journey by going into that shopping centre again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

tretorn wrote: »
    I drove into the Citywest shopping centre one afternoon and for the first time in my life I felt afraid. There were gangs of new Irish teens coming from all directions and this really small security jeep was circling the carpark. The shops had barred anyone under eighteen entering without an adult, the doors to the shops had been shut and had to be opened by security guards.

I left as quick as I could and will never break a journey by going into that shopping centre again.

Really? Looking at your posting history I'd say you've an agenda here

JCX BXC wrote: »

To be honest, I can't see it not affecting property prices there. CityWest kind of flew under the antisocial radar for the general public, people like Mr. and Mrs. Culchie moving from the country or renting in Rathmines and buying their first affordable family home. It wasn't in the same league national-reputation wise like Ballymun or Sheriff St, but it is firmly among them now.

I knew CityWest wasn't great, but I didn't think it was as bad as it was. This is an international news story now and an international embarrassment for the country - everyone knows what a kip it is now.

I really don't know who would spend 300-400+k to live there and want to raise a family in one. And most of those homes for sale are for families.

It wasn't just a supermarket that was torn down, and celebrated by more than a few locals. 10 cars were broken into as well and burned out.

10 cars were broken into as well and burned out.

Despite being almost completely ignored and overlooked in favour of the Lidl incident, I think the car burning is the much more serious issue.

That's the issue that tells you it's not an 'us VS the faceless corporation that rob us' kinda mentality, it's an 'us against anyone and everyone, including our own community'.

Those cars represent normal, every day people going about their daily lives. The kind of people who might be interested in purchasing a house. The kind of people that would have to be on crack to consider spending nearly half a million euro to live there.

Take my word for it, I live in a ****hole myself. Nowhere near as bad as that area, but a ****hole nonetheless. Anti-social behaviour is rife and it's consistently ignored by the Council and Gardai. They simply will not help you.

You will always double check who's outside or passing by, you'll take an extra long look out around the street and your car before you head to bed, any noise outside will wake you to the window to see what might be happening. You know there are people among you that actually enjoy burning out cars and joyriding and annoying people, and you could easily be a target for no reason whatsoever.

If you live in an area where you do that kinda stuff already, then grand, you know what you're getting into. But if you live somewhere that you close the door behind you and forget about the outside world, don't even dare to consider living in an area like this. It'll drive you demented.

I grew up in this same council estate. I'm nearly 30 now. It's never changed. 30 years and it's the same problems that I remember when I was a child.

As an aside, I'm not saying all council estates are bad, nor are the people in them. 95% are lovely, genuine people. But the other 5% are thugs and scummers and will ruin the area around them. And there's not a thing the 95% can do (see above: expect zero assistance from the Gardai or Council).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I thought this thread would see some traffic given the scenes of yesterday.

I did see a "Sale Agreed" sign front and centre of one of the camera feeds (I think it was a JCB versus a safe) and I did wonder whether that one will now actually complete.

Can anyone tell me where the border between Tallaght and "Citywest" is supposed to be? I know there's a bit of a property crisis going on over there with overnight queues at new build launches etc. but it is madness to pay some of the prices I've seen to live in the backyard of Brookfield/Rossfield. At least now there's no excuse for unfamiliar potential buyers to go in there blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I have no agenda, anywhere in the city where you have large numbers of Africans you have social problems, what is the point in denying this. We have to deal with this issue and that means flooding these areas with Gardai so these feral teens are kept in line.

As I said I have lived in Dublin all my life, have driven into all sorts of areas and never felt intimidated, never saw anyone other than junkies barred from shops, never heard a security man say no one under eighteen was going into a shop without an adult.
    I wasnt one bit surprised when I saw where this incident happened, I feel sorry for the decent people living beside these intimidating scum, I was intimidated looking at them so I got into the car and left and will never go into that Centre again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I have no agenda, anywhere in the city where you have large numbers of Africans you have social problems, what is the point in denying this. We have to deal with this issue and that means flooding these areas with Gardai so these feral teens are kept in line.

As I said I have lived in Dublin all my life, have driven into all sorts of areas and never felt intimidated, never saw anyone other than junkies barred from shops, never heard a security man say no one under eighteen was going into a shop without an adult.
    I wasnt one bit surprised when I saw where this incident happened, I feel sorry for the decent people living beside these intimidating scum, I was intimidated looking at them so I got into the car and left and will never go into that Centre again.

What you're seeing is correlation not causation. Say you arrive in Dublin from war torn, corrupt or poor Africa with feck all money to your name. You want to live in Dublin where the jobs are, you look on Daft to see the cheapest place to live in Dublin....this is why you see Africans in scummy places, they didn't make them scummy. Parts of Tallaght, finglas, citywest have always been and will always be crap & it's certainly not an issue of immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

The guys arrested for this are all bar one white Irish. You have an agenda

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

mod note

Friendly reminder that this is accommodation and property. There are other forums to discuss politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,631 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Graham wrote: »
    mod note

Friendly reminder that this is accommodation and property. There are other forums to discuss politics.
    They've all been closed as there's a court case pending.

• Advertisement

To quote the classic line: "I'm not Racist.. but..." I have noticed myself that 'black gangs' seems to have become a thing. Havent experienced it myself, but apparently west dublin in general, and balbriggan are having issues with groups of black youths.

I don't think anyone is censoring that, I think the mods on here get annoyed when it turns into 'well all black people must be bad so' kinda talk.

There's a black family that the Council moved into our estate. I anticipated the usual scummers would harass them and give them racial abuse (and maybe they have) but I haven't seen anything. But they're a quiet family, with their stereotype Zafira's outside the house; they don't annoy or hassle anyone. You wouldn't even know they were there. One of their kids is usually in the paper with the local football team. Havent seen any hassle out of them.

A problem you need to keep in mind in an area like this, is that the people who you so frantically hate and despise (scummers), will most likely share a classroom with your kids. Which increases the chance of your own kids becoming scummers. Not a nice thought, but a realistic possibility, nonetheless.

Again, I can't stress enough that my estate has over 300 houses and within them only a handful are the dirty knackers of the world. The rest are 'heads down, quiet life' people. but the estate is still a ****hole, and there's no intervention (although apparently vigilante gangs used to be a thing here, in the 80s, which kept the place quiet, but I don't remember that, myself).

I've no real in-depth experience of this particular area in Citywest, but as someone who lives in a 'disadvantaged area' I'd strongly tell anyone that has the money to spend on a new house to cop onto themselves and heed the warning signs. You're not buying a car and gambling that the timing belt might go. This is your everyday quality of life. I'm stuck where I am, but if i had the money to go house hunting, common sense tells me to buy a second hand house in an already-matured estate. Live amongst a load of quiet pensioners and let someone else buy the house next to Fr. Stack!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

To quote the classic line: "I'm not Racist.. but..." I have noticed myself that 'black gangs' seems to have become a thing. Havent experienced it myself, but apparently west dublin in general, and balbriggan are having issues with groups of black youths.

I'd agree, plenty of white scumbags out there, that's especially evident.

However the social issues that many migrants bring, not exclusively people from African countries, are undeniable. This is an issue in itself but which we are too meek to tackle.

It's definitely regretable that this happened, and I hope for the sake of citywest residents that amenities are rebuilt and order is restored. The culprits in this instance have no fear of property prices, social housing costs don't flucuate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

We narrowly avoided buying here a few months ago. Thank Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Doubtful considering the city was pretty much on lockdown. I doubt anyone from Santry or Clonsilla were travelling to Lidl in Citywest.

I lived in Clonsilla for 4 years when I first moved in Dublin. I’ve also worked in the Citywest Business Campus so I know both areas pretty well.I know people who live there because it was handy for work but they won’t use the Luas because of messers. I wouldn’t invest €400k of my money in a house in Citywest I have to be honest.

In any case, the way prices are going at the moment, you could sell for a profit in a years time, the people on here who had a “lucky escape” are probably stuck paying astronomical rent. Give this place a year, this incident will soon be forgotten. People on here will have you believe this was the worst mistake of your life. Trust me, I worked in CW, and lived there for about 5yrs while saving for a house, it’s fine, yes it has some doggy folk, but I genuinely think that’s most places now. At the very least, you can see this as a short term investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭crossman47

What you're seeing is correlation not causation. Say you arrive in Dublin from war torn, corrupt or poor Africa with feck all money to your name. You want to live in Dublin where the jobs are, you look on Daft to see the cheapest place to live in Dublin....this is why you see Africans in scummy places, they didn't make them scummy. Parts of Tallaght, finglas, citywest have always been and will always be crap & it's certainly not an issue of immigration.

Glad you said parts of Tallaght as there seems to be a view Tallaght is one amorphous council estate. It is a very large town with all types of estate and most of them are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

crossman47 wrote: »
    Glad you said parts of Tallaght as there seems to be a view Tallaght is one amorphous council estate. It is a very large town with all types of estate and most of them are fine.

Yea I meant parts of each of the places I named. I'm from Dundrum but went to college in ITT & worked out near the belgard road & never saw anything bad in the 7ish years I was around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

I live in Fortunestown and while I have decent neighbours, there are plenty of uneducated, to put it nicely, folks around here.
    It's the worst place I have ever lived, cars burned down, people shot, houses getting broken into regularly.
    My wife gets regularly verbally abused in Luas by young thugs.
    My neighbours don't allow their kids to play outside, if you wanna have an idea.

And it's Citywest, not Tallaght, but being so close to Jobstown ...
    In 2013 houses here were on sale for 80-90k, now they go for 200k.

I am looking to buy in a year or 2, but I'd definitely prefer to commute over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I was passing through recently and saw ppl queue overnight for those new houses that are opposite the shopping centre.(agree with the comment about all types of low life hanging around that)

It surprised me, because it's not somewhere I would have thought there would be any demand for. I suppose I'm not looking for a house or would have copped that there is such a shortage of houses.

It's s very bad area, people would be much better buying in an older more settled estate in Tallaght if they want to live there.

The Luas is also not a selling point, it's not safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DancingHomer

I work in Citywest so i drop down to the shopping centre regularly enough. You're either suffering from paranoid hallucinations or you're telling porkies. The shopping centre is perfectly nice, and very busy with shoppers. I've never seen gangs of youths around the shopping centre during working hours anyway, and i'd have a fairly sensitive knacker allergy.

Advertisement