Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Use your bloody hand brake!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

KC161 wrote: »
    Many Irish drivers don't know what they are!

But then doesn't it just change from green to red I think that's more dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

fin12 wrote: »
    But then doesn't it just change from green to red I think that's more dangerous.

Green(drive at your present speed), Amber ( bury the foot), Red (slow down, have a cursory glance left and right and keep on driving). Traffic light protocol in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Del2005 wrote: »
    Honda Accord and Lexus Gs450h.

The RSA is a hypocritical organisation. They pay thousands for ads telling people that the posted speed limit is a limit not a target yet in the only physical interaction people have with them they fail you if you don't drive at the speed on the sign, so I go with the what they do not say. The only thing that counts is what is in the statutes and that doesn't say anything.

Most of the stuff that they publish is decades out of date and based on vehicles with drum brakes, wire brake cables and cross ply tyres, modern cars have servo assisted hydraulic disk brakes and radial tyres.

True.
    Questions in driving licence theory tests about stopping distances are just mad. You would stop sooner than their correct answer on pure ice.

And the need to apply handbrake in traffic, as well as need to steer using push-pull technique is mental. Probably nowhere around the world (except UK) push-pull technique is recommended or even allowed during driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

The whole reason for driving an automatic is that you do not put it anywhere - just leave it in D. I have an electric hand brake, so setting it and releasing it is not something I think I am meant to do when sitting at a red light for a few seconds.

My car kills the engine when I stop at red lights. If I release the foot-brake, then the engine restarts. Clearly VW think that is the way to drive an automatic.

VW know everything about cars, :)

Dito for bmws.
    Auto box, auto handbrake (brake lights on) and stop/start turned off.

Similar with manual Hyundai, however with the Hyundai, after 10 min of auto handbrake (brake light on), it disengages the auto handbrake and engages the electric hand brake (no brake lights)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    They mention "a prolonged stop..." not necessary, or exclusively, a stop at a red traffic light! I
    How are you supposed to know the length of a stop at unfamiliar traffic lights?

Observation
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

In 20 years probably be AI,

I think to put to bed this myth that brake lights don't glare when stationary behind someone in a queue of traffic who has them held on. My own brake bulbs are 21 watts, my rear lights are 5 watts, my rear fog light is 21 watts, if I was stationary in traffic with my fog light on people would rightly have cause to be unhappy (and Im sure have come on boards and complained about this very circumstance). There is one bulb usually for a rear fog light, now suddenly being stationary in front of someone with two 21 watt brake bulbs and usually a row of high level bulbs accounting for another potential 20 watts, around 60 watts in total is amazingly no cause for glare, it literally adds up to more light power in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Patww79 wrote: »
    I can't believe so many people drive automatics.

Cheaper tax.

8 speed autos can change quickly, less revs, less emissions, = lower tax , and VRT.

And once you've driven an auto for an extended period, manual cars just seem tiresome for day to day use.

I wouldn't buy a manual again, even when renting I've taken autos. (At no extra cost)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

cerastes wrote: »
    I'd dispute the whole reason for an automatic is to not have to alter the gear lever, having an auto doesn't mean ignore the controls, there are other possibilities than just D, I like driving autos but to me it's a lazier way to drive and it's easier to just disregard other aspects of the controls, like moving to N.

Its called an automatic, the clue is in the name. Do you want me to take a picture of that page in my user manual and post it here?
    Anyway, I don't expect many or any on here to listen to others opinions without tearing into them, when I'm stationary I apply the handbrake and there is less glare for the driver behind me, this is how I was taught and the rationale given was,
    If not in gear holding car only with foot on brake, if hit from the rear at a lights or wherever, your foot will release the brake and you will start moving and you will move until you hit something that stops you or you roll to a stop, you can't rely on your own faculty to apply the brakes as you may not be conscious.

Sorry cerastes. Tis is just a thing that someone made up in their head and passed it along and you seem to go full on for it for some reason.

Nobody teaches this in any course or any test and every single user manual for automatic drivers will in fact state the exact opposite. Also it makes you really slow off the mark at the lights.

Just accept it that you're on the garden path and move on. It happens. No need to argue with the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Sorry cerastes. Tis is just a thing that someone made up in their head and passed it along and you seem to go full on for it.

Nobody teaches this in any course or any test and every single user manual for automatic drivers will in fact state the exact opposite. Also it makes you really slow off the mark at the lights.

Just accept it that you're on the garden path and move on. It happens.

I was instructed such by my Driving instructor, the only caveat is when at the front of the queue.

Nate

I was instructed such by my Driving instructor, the only caveat is when at the front of the queue.

Nate

My late father was a driving instructor both for cars and for public transport buses for which there is a relatively strict guideline book and test of what to teach and what not. Driving techniques and rules of the road and all that stuff always was a big thing in our house - unfortunately. It clearly scarred me for life cos here I am passing his wisdoms on to complete strangers on the internet.

For manual cars I was taught as follows:
    While rolling up to the lights/car in front of you you typically are already in neutral. You just apply the brakes for a smooth stop. You just leave your foot on the brake if you expect to be stopped for a normal period of time. If you expect a longer stop apply the handbrake. Railroad crossing springs to mind.

For automatic cars during normal operation which includes all aspects of city driving you never move away from D. But again if you expect to be stopped for longer but not long enough to actually turn off the engine you may put the car into N and apply the handbrake. Say for example when stopped at a railroad crossing. Never in such a situation put your automatic into P because if some numpty will bump you from behind something will break in your gear box. Use P really only for parking.

But of course none of that is an actual rule just say 'best practice'.
    If people prefer to apply the handbrake all the time nobody is stopping them. But it makes them slower off the mark and for automatic cars it kinda defeats the purpose of the automatic as they are especially making life easier in city conditions with a lot of start/stop. Unless of course you choose to turn your automatic into a semi manual again which makes little sense but each to their own.

But saying everyone should do it to avoid glare off their brake lights is made up altogether. Never heard that before. Someone will be saying next to turn the engine off too because it is sensitive to their delicate hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Its called an automatic, the clue is in the name. Do you want me to take a picture of that page in my user manual and post it here?

Sorry cerastes. Tis is just a thing that someone made up in their head and passed it along and you seem to go full on for it for some reason.

Just accept it that you're on the garden path and move on. It happens. No need to argue with the whole world.
    Ease up on your tetchiness,
    Not for the first time, no one said put a vehicle in P
    And so much more, but can't be bothered dealing with someone who clearly is replying to stuff that hasn't been said.

Ease up on your tetchiness,
    Not for the first time, no one said put a vehicle in P
    And so much more, but can't be bothered dealing with someone who clearly is replying to stuff that hasn't been said.

I know you said N. I'm not tetchy I just can't beleive how much nonsense makes the rounds. And you cant bother replying because you had no arguments in the first place other than you feel not going into N and applying the handbrake is 'lazy driving' and that if no handbrake was applied you'd be pushed into the car in front of you cos your foot would come off. Which I can't argue against because I have not actually experienced that but I bet neither have you and its the first time I ever heard that.

In any case people can do whatever they like all I have a problem with is the OP who was on about everyone should use the handbrakes cos of the glare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Frankly, if you have a problem with the glare of normal lights from cars ahead of you, which are all manufactured within tolerances and various rules and regulations, I think you should probably consider visiting an optometrist rather than insisting the entire country uses parking brakes.

Many lights on the road are going to be that bright, including most traffic signals.

Many lights on the road are going to be that bright, including most traffic signals.

Not many are going to be 4ft in front of you, shining into your face though.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My late father was a driving instructor both for cars and for public transport buses for which there is a relatively strict guideline book and test of what to teach and what not. Driving techniques and rules of the road and all that stuff always was a big thing in our house - unfortunately. It clearly scarred me for life cos here I am passing his wisdoms on to complete strangers on the internet.

For manual cars I was taught as follows:
    While rolling up to the lights/car in front of you you typically are already in neutral. You just apply the brakes for a smooth stop. You just leave your foot on the brake if you expect to be stopped for a normal period of time. If you expect a longer stop apply the handbrake. Railroad crossing springs to mind.

For automatic cars during normal operation which includes all aspects of city driving you never move away from D. But again if you expect to be stopped for longer but not long enough to actually turn off the engine you may put the car into N and apply the handbrake. Say for example when stopped at a railroad crossing. Never in such a situation put your automatic into P because if some numpty will bump you from behind something will break in your gear box. Use P really only for parking.

But of course none of that is an actual rule just say 'best practice'.
    If people prefer to apply the handbrake all the time nobody is stopping them. But it makes them slower off the mark and for automatic cars it kinda defeats the purpose of the automatic as they are especially making life easier in city conditions with a lot of start/stop. Unless of course you choose to turn your automatic into a semi manual again which makes little sense but each to their own.

But saying everyone should do it to avoid glare off their brake lights is made up altogether. Never heard that before. Someone will be saying next to turn the engine off too because it is sensitive to their delicate hearing.

You were taught to roll to a stop in neutral! When a vehicle is moving it should always be in gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 g2020

This is fascinating stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not many are going to be 4ft in front of you, shining into your face though.

Nate

True, but should you be more than 4 feet behind the lights of the car in front. (Do not forget you have a bonnet in front of the windscreen). You should leave about 3 feet between the front of your car and the car in front.

If the lights bother you, you need to clean your windscreen inside and out, and if that does not help, get your eyes tested. If that does not work, do not drive after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Observation

In 20 years probably be AI,

I think to put to bed this myth that brake lights don't glare when stationary behind someone in a queue of traffic who has them held on. My own brake bulbs are 21 watts, my rear lights are 5 watts, my rear fog light is 21 watts, if I was stationary in traffic with my fog light on people would rightly have cause to be unhappy (and Im sure have come on boards and complained about this very circumstance). There is one bulb usually for a rear fog light, now suddenly being stationary in front of someone with two 21 watt brake bulbs and usually a row of high level bulbs accounting for another potential 20 watts, around 60 watts in total is amazingly no cause for glare, it literally adds up to more light power in your face.

The lens of rear fogs is designed different to the lens of break lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

g2020 wrote: »
    This is fascinating stuff.

The amount of times brake is misspelled is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I've never been dazzled by a brake light. Never heard of this before. Will try and use my hand brake in the future I guess.

What dazzles me are those annoying blue-ish headlights on lots of new cars...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's called a parking break for a reason. There's nothing in the rules of the road to suggest that the parking brake is used at lights and the tester won't mark against you for not using the parking brake at lights.
    cerastes wrote:
    Ease up on your tetchiness, Not for the first time, no one said put a vehicle in P And so much more, but can't be bothered dealing with someone who clearly is replying to stuff that hasn't been said.

An automatic is driven in D. You leave it in D at lights with your foot on the brake.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's called a parking break for a reason. There's nothing in the rules of the road to suggest that the parking brake is used at lights and the tester won't mark against you for not using the parking brake at lights.

Correct, there are no rules on the use of the handbrake in traffic, and the tester won't mark against you for using the handbrake at lights.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Isn't the main reason for this in manual transmission that it prevents clutch wear?

Also, it prevents a risk if bunny hopping the car into the car ahead of you should you accidentally release clutch.

Neither of those problems apply to automatics at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Wow, so much extreme arrogance on this thread, those who are moaning about a 6+ page discussion thread on a discussion forum, well they should seek medical help for psychiatric issues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Wow, so much extreme arrogance on this thread, those who are moaning about a 6+ page discussion thread on a discussion forum, well they should seek medical help for psychiatric issues.

Or get theirs eyes tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is the usual bad manners from some people, 'I'll put my foot on my brake and who gives a f*** about the guy behind' . Not much you can do about it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You were taught to roll to a stop in neutral! When a vehicle is moving it should always be in gear.

So you're telling me on those last few metres just before you come to a stop behind a car or at the lights when you're basically just rolling out you're still in gear? Not in neutral or clutch pressed down?

Fascinating. How do you do that and what gear are you in then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I was thought by my driving instructor to always use the handbrake when stopped if you are the first, 2nd or 3rd car in the line you put the handbrake up but you have your leg on the clutch and in first gear and your other hand would be on the handbrake waiting to move off when it turns green, if you are fourth in line and back you can put the handbrake up and then put car into neutral and relax. I continue to do that really. I think it's very tiring on your legs holding the break and clutch together for long periods I tend to do that when your holding or moving slowly down a hill or I am at a set of traffic lights that I know change fast.

Look its really not worth debating that to death. Some people like to stop with the gear in and clutch and brake pressed I'm sure, some want to be in neutral and brake pressed and some want the hand brake applied. Who gives a ****.

When it gets ridiculous is when people demand a certain thing from other drivers because they feel inconvenienced by the brake light.

And when the absurdity of that is being pointed out by bringing up the auto box example and then you have people saying the auto box should be put to N when stopped at the lights... Well then you just do the facepalm thing and bow out I suppose. And if thats considered extremely arrogant I don't give a toss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

407861.JPG

Look its really not worth debating that to death. Some people like to stop with the gear in and clutch and brake pressed I'm sure, some want to be in neutral and brake pressed and some want the hand brake applied. Who gives a ****.

When it gets ridiculous is when people demand a certain thing from other drivers because they feel inconvenienced by the brake light.

And when the absurdity of that is being pointed out by bringing up the auto box example and then you have people saying the auto box should be put to N when stopped at the lights... Well then you just do the facepalm thing and bow out I suppose. And if thats considered extremely arrogant I don't give a toss.

Advertisement