Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Use your bloody hand brake!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Its been a while since I did it but i am pretty sure in a driving test, they tell you that if you are one of the first two cars in a line of traffic, you need to keep your foot on the brake and in gear. So actually people shouldn't have to use their hand brake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

If I still drove a manual, I would be in neutral with the foot off the clutch and the handbrake on at lights. My mechanical sympathy for my clutch release bearing would demand it. But I now drive a modern, technologically advanced car with a double clutch automatic gearbox and stop/start. I've left all the olde worlde, stirring cogs in a box with a stick, behind. Now my stops at lights involve a foot on the brake and the engine off.

The only time brake lights ever bothered me was on a country road at night when a Jeep (an actual Jeep) kept braking for no reason. :)

Oh, and it's only 4 pages. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So you're telling me on those last few metres just before you come to a stop behind a car or at the lights when you're basically just rolling out you're still in gear? Not in neutral or clutch pressed down?

Fascinating. How do you do that and what gear are you in then?

Yes I drive to the junction with my foot on the brake. Then at the last second I press the clutch, which isn't meters. I drive in the gear suitable for the speed I'm driving at, but I can do it in any gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Have autohold in the car so generally I'll go into neutral at a set of lights, often still keep my foot on the brake too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yes I drive to the junction with my foot on the brake. Then at the last second I press the clutch, which isn't meters. I drive in the gear suitable for the speed I'm driving at, but I can do it in any gear.

And the advantage over being in neutral is? Just curious, not a snide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

I normally use my handbrake or balance the clutch / accelerator if on an upward incline.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

And the advantage over being in neutral is? Just curious, not a snide.

You aren't in control of the vehicle when coasting in neutral.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 242 ✭✭PREG1967

There ia benefit in using your handbrake when stopping suddenly in an situation were you feel your foot brake will not be enough or is likely cause a skid, using the handbrake can also preserve your normal brakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

wtf, will someone just put this thread down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well it depends on the situation. If you're driving at speed you really shouldn't be in neutral, but if you're coasting up to the lights for a few meters it won't make a difference.
    But how are you not in control? The steering works, the brakes work, you just can't accelerate.
    Now coasting with the engine off, that would be a different thing, steering and brakes will be quite heavy.
    Having said that, I would not advocate coasting in neutral for any great distance, but simply because it is daft. You're actually using more fuel than coasting in gear.

Whilst we're at daft habits left over from the 1950's, steering wheel shuffling has been mentioned earlier. Idiotic practice taught by idiots and used by no one with a brain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

PREG1967 wrote: »
    There ia benefit in using your handbrake when stopping suddenly in an situation were you feel your foot brake will not be enough or is likely cause a skid, using the handbrake can also preserve your normal brakes

And with that statement I'm signing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Just curious.. do the ones who pull the handbrake every time they stop, also put the fork and knife down while chewing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

If you're driving a car from before the 1920s perhaps.

The only purpose of a handbrake on a modern car is to hold it while stopped. You should absolutely NEVER apply it when the car is moving. It is not designed to be used that way and it will at best wreck the handbrake and at worst actually cause the car to become difficult to control or even swerve erratically.

In a typical modern car you have 4 disc brakes that are servo assisted. If you brake hard, they will stop you and a lot of newer cars have ABS and anti-skid systems. Pulling the handbrake would be utterly stupid and downright dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

I don't even know where to begin with this statement :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

dfeo wrote: »
    I normally use my handbrake or balance the clutch / accelerator if on an upward incline.

Balancing the car on the clutch to hold it in position on a hill will lead to overheating the clutch, unnecessary wear of the friction material on the disc, and ultimately premature clutch failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe if you're driving a Zetor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If all brakes very yes use handbrake but don't just pull hard or you will spin out dramatically.

If that fails take out of gear or gear down and if that fails aim for something soft to hit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If all brakes very yes use handbrake but don't just pull hard or you will spin out dramatically.

If that fails take out of gear or gear down and if that fails aim for something soft to hit.

In order to spin you would have to get off the gas, steer sharply and pull the handbrake.
    Going straight it won't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Isambard wrote: »
    my car has hillstart assist and stop start so basically you never use the handbrake unless parked. Sorry

And if my Aunty had a pair of balls she'd be my Uncle.

I fail to see how any of that is relevant to the fact that a handbrake should be applied when stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

MugMugs wrote: »
    And if my Aunty had a pair of balls she'd be my Uncle.

I fail to see how any of that is relevant to the fact that a handbrake should be applied when stationary.

Why is it a fact that handbrake should be applied when stopped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

I seriously wish modern handbrakes were half as good as some posters on here reckon.

You'd do well for most to hold you on a slope never mind lock up on a dry road :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

This thread.

Just goes to show. With the general public... the more people you ask on a certain matter the more likely you are to get every possible crazy answer out there.

Surprised no one has mentioned casting anchors yet :pac:

Makes me think about those referendums...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Think I'm going to install a parachute, just like the drag racers.

Advertisement