Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Use your bloody hand brake!

Options
  • 25-01-2017 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Pet Hate:

Brake lights can be quite bright, especially newer LED based ones. They are bright for a reason, to warn cars behind that you are stopping.

When you are already stopped, for instance at traffic lights, please engage your hand brake and take your foot off of the brake pedal. This will prevent the driver behind you being dazzled by your shiney brake lights!

Thank You!

Polite Rant Over!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I'm finding indicator lights to be even worse these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pet Hate:

Brake lights can be quite bright, especially newer LED based ones. They are bright for a reason, to warn cars behind that you are stopping.

When you are already stopped, for instance at traffic lights, please engage your hand brake and take your foot off of the brake pedal. This will prevent the driver behind you being dazzled by your shiney brake lights!

Thank You!

Polite Rant Over!

Automatic cars you need to or else you would be selecting n on box and in some cases pressing down handbrake with your foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

But only if you are going to pay attention to the sequence of the traffic lights and not sit there for ages after the lights turn green trying to get the car in gear and move off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

But only if you are going to pay attention to the sequence of the traffic lights and not sit there for ages after the lights turn green trying to get the car in gear and move off.

That why I love UK and up north you get the orange 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I'm finding indicator lights to be even worse these days.
    Many Irish drivers don't know what they are!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is an ever increasing number of autos, CVTs and electrics where there isn't as direct an equivalent of a handbrake as well as cars with pushbutton handbrakes. This is going to be much of the cause of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

My automatic has stop/start. If I take my foot off the brake at lights, the engine starts, defeating the whole stop/start thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pet Hate:

Thank You!

Polite Rant Over!

Both my current and last car recommended keeping my foot on the break when stopped and I'm sure that most autos are the same.

If you are getting dazzle I'd be looking at your windows as any dirt on the inside will cause this or it could be an eye problem, I get terrible dazzle and staring when driving Fords with the heated screen yet no one else seems to notice I get a full eye test annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That why I love UK and up north you get the orange 1st

And they all pull off on the orange! So having an orange before green here won't matter as people don't look at the lights, if they don't see a green they won't see the orange that came on before it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Falcon L wrote: »
    My automatic has stop/start. If I take my foot off the brake at lights, the engine starts, defeating the whole stop/start thingy.

I think all stop/start are like that even the non-autos. I must see if its that way in mine.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    And they all pull off on the orange! So having an orange before green here won't matter as people don't look at the lights, if they don't see a green they won't see the orange that came on before it.

Spot on, those driving through the red lights.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

KC161 wrote: »
    Spot on, those driving through the red lights.

Saw someone floor it through a red this morning because they saw the green of the pedestrian crossing light up. Good thing it was early so there was no pedestrians around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

jonnycivic wrote: »
    I think all stop/start are like that even the non-autos. I must see if its that way in mine.

Our old mini, the engine kicked back to life when you pushed down on the clutch pedal

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not on my Nissan manual it isn't. Only thing to restart the engine is depressing the clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Aren't you supposed to have the handbrake engaged in case you get rear-ended?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

theteal wrote: »
    Our old mini, the engine kicked back to life when you pushed down on the clutch pedal
    Alun wrote: »
    Not on my Nissan manual it isn't. Only thing to restart the engine is depressing the clutch.

As I said I ain't too sure I'm only getting the hang of mine now and I noticed when I put the handbrake on and took my foot off the brake the engine started up again. I must have a look again later and see :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

As a stationary object, I'd expect anything that hits into you, it wont matter what brakes are on, if there's enough force to move you, it'll move you.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Saw someone floor it through a red this morning because they saw the green of the pedestrian crossing light up. Good thing it was early so there was no pedestrians around.

should be an automatic court appearance for those caught doing it.

I see it regularly myself but not on the level in which you see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As I said I ain't too sure I'm only getting the hang of mine now and I noticed when I put the handbrake on and took my foot off the brake the engine started up again. I must have a look again later and see :D
    On mine the detection of the clutch being depressed is very, very sensitive and even just tickling the clutch pedal with your foot when taking your foot off the brake pedal is enough to set it off, which I did a few times when i first got the car. Could be that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

But theres no rule about also taking your foot off the brake pedal.

OP maybe its time for an eye test if youre getting sensitivity to glare ....

Just sayin'

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    On mine the detection of the clutch being depressed is very, very sensitive and even just tickling the clutch pedal with your foot when taking your foot off the brake pedal is enough to set it off, which I did a few times when i first got the car. Could be that?

You could be right, I'm actually going to take it out in the empty car park later and see how it all reacts, I know I tend to hover over the clutch alright so I will post back my results :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mickeroo wrote: »

Had a driver give me glares and actually drive towards me as if I was walking across during a green sequence for them when she had seen the green man go off for me. Stopping dead and pointing out the red got the usual not-really-sorry apology wave.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

My driving instructor advised me that if you are the last in a queue stopped at a red light you should keep you foot on the brake as well as engaging the handbrake as the dazzle of your brake light might just be the thing to get through to an inattentive driver coming from behind that you are stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

I recently bought my first Auto and as I hate being dazzled by brake lights I checked that I could shift into N at stops but was advised from numerous sources that I'd be doing more harm than good to the autobox. Even the owners manual tells me to keep my foot on the brake and leave the 'box in drive.

So I do apologise for blinding people but not much I can do about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭daithihalton

My car has an auto hold function which when the car is stopped brings on the brake lights even when my foot is not on the brake !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a chap i know was diagnosed with a mild form of epilepsy a year back - apparently the first sign of it was being dazzled by car brake lights, iirc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Motors, where it might be a more natural fit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Automatic cars you need to or else you would be selecting n on box and in some cases pressing down handbrake with your foot.

Also auto boxes with auto-hold handbrake, even if your foot is not on the brake, the brake light will be on as long as the auto-hold is engaged. Not a big deal IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Auto handbrake ftw

If brake lights annoy you so much, don't ever drive in the U.S.

561857587-hollywood-freeway-headlight-traffic-jam-median-strip.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just tap my brake along with the music, makes the gridlock flash like a disco :P

Advertisement