Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Officially Picking Things Up And Putting Them Down Again

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

For the most part, a cut only makes any sense if you're going to be more competitive at the lower weight class and it's where your performance will be optimal.

For the majority it doesn't really matter. What matters is being able to lift the biggest total at whatever weight you perform best at

Unless you really want a round wilks number haha
    Since it goes up for lower weight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bluewolf wrote: »
    Unless you really want a round wilks number haha
    Since it goes up for lower weight

Yeah but if you're 5 kg heavier and that helps you put 15/6kg on your total, Wilks would be much the same but your total would be much better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

So finally got some time to write this out. Was looking forward to the May Open comp for a long time coming up to it off a very successful 4 month program. Squats had been moving good, benches feeling light and I'd already hit a bunch of PR's in the weeks before so was pretty confident of comp PRs and hopeful of all times.

My normal walking weight was somewhere between 84 and 85 so to cut down these last few kilos to make weight into the 83's I just done a low residue diet for the week before. This is basically low fibre, chicken, and oats diet at maintenance calories. Pretty boring even with different spices. No idea how bodybuilders used to do this for months on end. Worked out to be pretty succesful in the end as I weighted in at 81.4kg on the day. Then I inhaled a chicken fillet roll for breakfast. I'd also only gotten about 5 hours sleep before so got some coffee into to have me fresh enough at warm ups.

I went a bit more conservative on my openers than I originally intended. It's not about the opener it's about the 3rds in the end. I was confident in my squats as I'd hit the numbers pretty recently. I had intitially planned to get a 192.5 or 195 squat but pulled it in a bit to have some energy in the tank for a bigger deadlift. They all moved well enough even if my 2nd and 3rd attempt did feel like it took a while for the start command.

1st and 2nd bench attempts flew up. so went for a 5kg all time PR. Turned out to be a bit more of a grind than expected but it got there in the end. Probably very close to my limits on that one.

And then on to deadlifts. The only one I was slightly nervous about due to a planned attempt of a 30kg comp PR and me having some trouble with locking them out at the high percentages. And of course also because my spectacular moment at the end of the comp in abs where I just bottled my 3rd attempt to win my class by losing control of the bar at the top before locking my shoulders out.

Warm ups where alright. Although on my last warm up I once again got knocked forward at the top slightly. This was closely followed by my coach shouting at me to stop doing this :D. As I was going for my opener one of the coaches gave me some advice and tips on bar control as the bar changes positions to the lift. Actually turned out to be very useful and I had some queues (sp?) drilled in when doing the lift. 220kg went up fine. No problems at all. 230kg same thing. Happy out that's that pesky missed 222.5kg gone now. And then I had the 240kg. Chalked up, talced up, psyched up, I pulled and it moved nice and smooth. It slowed down a bit at lock out but I got there. Got the down command a bit early I thought so i kept pulling the damn thing for a few more seconds and then brought it down. If they gave me the down command early cause I failed something I was still gonna get it to the top. Then I wasn't sure if I got it as I thought the down command was early but saw the 3 whites and went a bit mad with excitement for a bit after that. Great end to some very successful training over the last few months.

All in all a 542.5kg total for a wilks score of 366 and 9 for 9 lifts. Damn happy with that considering 8 months earlier I was totalling 450kg at 72kg bw. i also think that's the 1st comp I've ever gone 9 for 9.

The rest of the team had a bunch of PR's as well and one long grindy deadlift was especially good to see those whites on even if he did knock me off our leader board for the 74kg weight category :pac:.

Then I had to ref in the afternoon so a few cans of monster got me through that :D.

for anyone interested-
    Squat 3rd

Bench 3rd

Deadlift 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭whippet

Great lifting lad ... unless they cut a hole in the floor I don't think you'd get any deeper!!

Your hips seemed to shoot up early on the deadlift .... which will hinder the lockout and is probably why the finish looked a little messy. Have you ever pulled conventional? It might suit you?

whippet wrote: »
    Great lifting lad ... unless they cut a hole in the floor I don't think you'd get any deeper!!

Yeah that felt pretty heavy when I got to the bottom. And I thought my depth wasn't great on that one when I was on the way up :D.
    Your hips seemed to shoot up early on the deadlift .... which will hinder the lockout and is probably why the finish looked a little messy. Have you ever pulled conventional? It might suit you?

Used to do conventional but switched when my coach said it would suit me better. Haven't done conventional in a long while. Or at least not at any kind of high percentage. I see what you mean about the hips though. Coaches did mention that as well. Something to watch for in training. They aren't the only reason for the sloppy lockout though. Upper back has always been a weak point for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Actually turned out to be very useful and I had some queues (sp?) drilled in when doing the lift.
    Cues
    All in all a 542.5kg total for a wilks score of 366 and 9 for 9 lifts. Damn happy with that considering 8 months earlier I was totalling 450kg at 72kg bw. i also think that's the 1st comp I've ever gone 9 for 9.
    Well done again!! :D Pew pew
    The rest of the team had a bunch of PR's as well and one long grindy deadlift
    Omg that was the longest most epic deadlift ever
    I think the crowd really did lift the end of it :D

That deadlift lasted longer than the first flight.

It was an epic battle. The roof lifted with the cheering him on

Blacktie. wrote: »

Used to do conventional but switched when my coach said it would suit me better. Haven't done conventional in a long while. Or at least not at any kind of high percentage. I see what you mean about the hips though. Coaches did mention that as well. Something to watch for in training. They aren't the only reason for the sloppy lockout though. Upper back has always been a weak point for me.

with out seeing your other deadlifts or how you lift in the gym I can't really say much; but on that lift from the comp your starting position seemed way off. You were pulling from the floor before engaging your lower half. If you got that sorted you'd have another 15kg+ easily.

I just mentioned conventional as it looked like the sumo pull was uncomfortable. I know most IPF lifters at this stage are pulling sumo so who am I to tell the coaches!!

Conventional is a dying breed

whippet wrote:
    with out seeing your other deadlifts or how you lift in the gym I can't really say much; but on that lift from the comp your starting position seemed way off. You were pulling from the floor before engaging your lower half. If you got that sorted you'd have another 15kg+ easily.

Ye hips look a bit low now looking at it. I'll look out for that in training too. Probably left a few kilos on the platform but I was happy taking a 30kg comp PR. Maybe I should have stretched for the 5kg more and got my triple bodyweight :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Conventional is a dying breed

I know a vid would be the best way to show this but i dont currently have any but have noticed recently my knees getting in the way of the bar when im pulling sumo. Any suggestions? Just simply starting the bar an inch or two further from my legs in my set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    I know a vid would be the best way to show this but i dont currently have any but have noticed recently my knees getting in the way of the bar when im pulling sumo. Any suggestions? Just simply starting the bar an inch or two further from my legs in my set up?

With sumo your knees should be going out to the sides not out in front of you. Maybe try widening your stance and really concentrating on pushing your knees out to the sides?

Sorry if this is already what you're doing I'm just trying to picture how your knees are getting in the way! You could start with the bar further out but that's a delicate balance between having it a little away from your body and having it so far away that it knocks you off balance

Reps4jesus wrote: »

You need to sit back in to a sumo lift .. almost to the point that if the bar wasn't in your hands at the start you'd fall backwards ... so by sitting in to it and having toes pointing outwards you'd naturally have your knees behind the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Good day at the Mullingar Open today!

Snatch: 85/90/95x
    Clean & Jerk: 115/122/130x

Body weight: 90.5

Pretty happy with that as I didn't really taper specifically for this comp. Jumping from 122 to 130 was probably unwise, nearly racked it though. Another inch of pull probably would got it on to my shoulders a bit better. Oh well.

So when the training plan was laid out, there would be 8 weeks building to a test and then crack into the next block.

And in the end, decided that the test could take place at the ABS Open in August.

Giddyup

• Registered Users Posts: 39,036 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gents, suggestions for a good deadlift routine?
    Needs to be once per week. I'm idealli looking at the deadlift component only, not loads of assistance lifts.
    One option I was thinking of was % progression from Ed Coan's routine.
    Had a look at a juggernaut program, that jumped between deadlifts, block pulls and deficit lifts. Not sure if it's feasible in a commercial gym.

Mellor wrote: »
    Had a look at a juggernaut program, that jumped between deadlifts, block pulls and deficit lifts. Not sure if it's feasible in a commercial gym.

If using bumpers as blocks is doable, that's block pulls looked after and stand on a plate for deficits.

Started peak cycle today for what will be my first competition in a year. I forgot how much I love/hate peaking.

allym wrote: »
    Started peak cycle today for what will be my first completion in a year. I forgot how much I love/hate peaking.

Peaking is the fun part.

Peaking for a comp or for testing?

Peaking is the fun part.

Peaking for a comp or for testing?

For comp. Love pushing myself and seeing the weight increase every week and all that. Hate how wrecked it makes me! :pac:

• Advertisement

I enjoy the training...the building...but peaking is the craic. Goodbye volume, you horrible b*stard :pac:

Hope the peak goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,036 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If using bumpers as blocks is doable, that's block pulls looked after and stand on a plate for deficits.
    This is it here. The block pulls at the end seam light compared to the heavier deficits pulls.
    http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/06/28/my-best-deadlift-cycle-ever/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Another good day today at the Hercs summer competition.

Snatch: 85/90/95
    Clean & Jerk: 115/125/130x
    Total: 220

Body weight: 89kg

PBs in everything. +2kg on snatch, +3kg on c&j and +8kg on the total. Missed the jerk forward with 130kg :mad:

Zero motivation these past two weeks tbh and really wasn't looking forward to lifting today but I'm glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Beau wrote: »
    Well,

I'm entering the below beginner competition. It'll be my first one. I'm a rugby player first but this would tie in nicely as I come to the end of my pre preseason. You don't have to get all the gear etc but if you don't your score isn't official. I'd like to do it properly even if it's not a serious comp.

Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1026502100814097/?ti=cl

I was kicked from this competition and refunded because I don't live in Northern Ireland. You had to join NIPF to compete. Very disappointed, I'm 3 weeks into prep, had told people I was competing and had booked accommodation for a long weekend in Derry centred around competing on the Saturday. Is this normal? Would a northern irish resident not be allowed join the IPF?

Anyway, moving on, Alf, you mentioned an open in August in ABS? I couldn't find anything online about it. Could you send me details please? August would be perfect as any later and I'll be back into playing rugby most weekends and will have to wait another year before completing for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Cheers, it's on the same weekend as the NI comp. I don't think I'll get away with canceling our plans for a trip up north to stay in Dublin instead!

Yeah you have to be a member of NIPF to lift in their comps but there's an agreement in place that NIPF members are also members of the IPF but not vice versa.

So a northern Irish lifter can lift in either fed ROI is just IPF.

Omg the worlds are unreal. Our irish lifters are doing awesome and two women (aus & us) squatted 3x bw
    Unreal

bluewolf wrote: »
    Omg the worlds are unreal. Our irish lifters are doing awesome and two women (aus & us) squatted 3x bw
    Unreal

I've done no work this week! So excited for them all they're absolutely killing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

allym wrote: »
    I've done no work this week!

Me too. At this rate, I'll be seeing you in the dole queue by next week.

A female 47kg Finn benched 95kg and made it look easy. 2x bodyweight ffs

Advertisement