Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Officially Picking Things Up And Putting Them Down Again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Keep in mind that the IDFPA forbid member from competing with/being members of other powerlifting federations

(AFAIK - might have changed recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Keep in mind that the IDFPA forbid member from competing with/being members of other powerlifting federations

Oh ? :eek:
    Must check that first so

Nothing in the rulebook so I've asked them direct. I'll post the response here in case anyone else is in a similar position

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Outside of federation restrictions there's certainly a benefit, when you're new to competing, by competing regularly. How you manage things on the day is a bit of a learning curve so it's good to learn how to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Really quick reply from IDFPA

"yes you can as long as they are WADA drug tested. We have a few member who are also members of aipo and ipf. "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭COH

Isn't that just non-tested feds?

• Advertisement

will56 wrote: »
    Really quick reply from IDFPA

"yes you can as long as they are WADA drug tested. We have a few member who are also members of aipo and ipf. "

I stand corrected then.

Then again, I would have gotten that info from before the IPF and AIPO existed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭whippet

There is more choice now for tested lifting ... the addition of the AIPO section under the IPO fed has been a success and was done in response to the success of the IPF in recent years.

whippet wrote: »
    take a max of 5 lifts before your opener .. last three being singles and last one about 90% of your opener. If the last one is a grinder, feels heavy or in anyway not easy ... take the time to make a decision about your opener ... should you drop it a bit ?

Just out of curiosity, when you say only 5 lifts, from what point do you start counting 'lifts'?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just out of curiosity, when you say only 5 lifts, from what point do you start counting 'lifts'?

Anything more that just the bar is a "lift"
    5 is loads to get up to to 90% imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭whippet

Mellor wrote: »
    Anything more that just the bar is a "lift"
    5 is loads to get up to to 90% imo

Exactly

In my last comp I opened on a 240 deadlift ... my warm ups were 100x2, 150x1, 200x1 and 220x1 ... after a days lifting I knew less was more and pulled a comp PB that day

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    Exactly

In my last comp I opened on a 240 deadlift ... my warm ups were 100x2, 150x1, 200x1 and 220x1 ... after a days lifting I knew less was more and pulled a comp PB that day

I don't disagree less is more. I know I did more than 5 lifts ahead of squat anyway cos it was an early start and I was conscious of loosening up. But just at the lightest weights.

I think my opener was 147.5 so probably had 100x2 then singles at 115, 125, 137.5

16 weeks of training for the competition next week is done, openers finally decided.

Looking back, that first session of the cycle was hellish. Squats...3s eccentric...5 sets...@8. But you kinda know it's going to be worth it.

Looking forward to a week of R&R, with a small bit of movement to keep everything ticking.

Sounds like everyone else here doing it has had a good training cycle so looking forward to next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Best of luck to everyone competing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I am so excite
    I'm here planning out food and snacks for the sunday

I don't think I realised as much the last time vow much it really just is about your own numbers and not about where they are in relation to everyone else's.

Well, for the vast majority.

It's also about having a big bag of jelly babies after weighing in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't think I realised as much the last time vow much it really just is about your own numbers and not about where they are in relation to everyone else's.

Well, for the vast majority.

It's also about having a big bag of jelly babies after weighing in.

I discovered the Monster energy drink in athlone. I'd never had it before. I'm pretty sure it contributed directly to my deadlift PR. Also the shaking and near-tears afterwards.
    10/10 will drink again for meets
    Protein porridge & bakewell tarts are in the press and ready to go.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I discovered the Monster energy drink in athlone. I'd never had it before. I'm pretty sure it contributed directly to my deadlift PR. Also the shaking and near-tears afterwards.
    10/10 will drink again for meets
    Protein porridge & bakewell tarts are in the press and ready to go.

Had a red bull during warm ups for squat, bench and deadlift the last time. Worked out to be the right quantity of fluid (to get it all in). Would have the yellow Monster otherwise though.

Protein porridge with a hefty serving of maltodextrin will also be on the menu.

Had a red bull during warm ups for squat, bench and deadlift the last time. Worked out to be the right quantity of fluid (to get it all in). Would have the yellow Monster otherwise though.

Protein porridge with a hefty serving of maltodextrin will also be on the menu.
    Have you tried oomf! protein porridge? It's so nice, has 20g protein. Bringing it cos I can boil a kettle for the "just add water" on sunday morning

bluewolf wrote: »
    Have you tried oomf! protein porridge? It's so nice, has 20g protein. Bringing it cos I can boil a kettle for the "just add water" on sunday morning

To be honest, it'll just be made the evening before.

I should probably call it overnight oats - it sounds more sexy.

It'll probably have 30+ grams of protein anyway...mostly for the vanilla flava flav.

Out of curiosity, why does protein matter on the day itself? I'd have thought hi GI carbs would be the way to go?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why does protein matter on the day itself? I'd have thought hi GI carbs would be the way to go?

It doesn't really. But the vanilla flavour on the porridge is nice.

It doesn't really but i want something with a little bit more substance early on to carry me through, on top of the carbs
    Plus it's what I normally eat in the morning so there's that

Do you have to time when you take monster/red bull before your main lift so you get the most benifit from it?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Do you have to time when you take monster/red bull before your main lift so you get the most benifit from it?

Usually just have it 30-45 mins before. Not sure it does anything - I just have it in case it might

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

In and out of the gym in 40 minutes. End of a peak program is a nice change. Looking forward to Saturday morning now!

For my last comp, I couldn't find my flask, which I had been planning on using for sipping at coffee throughout the day. Decided not to have caffeine at all.

Although I did alright, I kinda had a 'wave' starting deadlift warmups where I realised how absolutely bloody exhausted I was. By then, I had really regretted not bringing something.

I don't know if it was the caffeine or the adrenaline (or both) but I was flying for hours after the previous comp.

It lasted about 4 hours and then I flatlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I'm always been perplexed by the whole caffeine (and by extension the whole prework out supplement) thing tbh. I honestly just don't understand it.

DylanJM wrote: »
    I'm always been perplexed by the whole caffeine (and by extension the whole prework out supplement) thing tbh. I honestly just don't understand it.

I don't understand it all the time.

But I understand if people take it on meet day on the off chance it might add something in the day. That 0.5% might be the difference between making it through a sticking point and not.

Of course it might make no difference, in which case I still haven't lost anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

DylanJM wrote: »

What's not to understand. For one thing most people are addicted to caffeine so not having withdrawal during comp is probably a good thing even if it is very minor. And on another note it does give a noticeable boost when feeling a bit tired. It's also known as a performance enhancer at a good dosage but I know very little about that side of it tbh.

Advertisement