Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snugborough Interchange Upgrade

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

The traffic is crazy all right but not because of the pedestrian lights. Trying to get from Corduff to Blanch village strolling with a nipper and a baby is a ball ache waiting on multiple green men while ensuring impatient drivists don't fly through them also. Afaik, the pedestrian tunnel was suppose to be finish long before the bridge.

No idea if you know the area or it's viable for you, but a stroll through Waterville Park to the village is swell. And depending on the time of day, faster than driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

When all works are completed, and motorists from Clonsilla, Blanch village and shopping centre are crossing the bridge to go to Dublin via the new right turn traffic lights rather than the old Waterville roundabout (removed), I envisage major back ups when the lights are red taking up the whole length of the bridge such are the traffic volumes. I'm hoping I'm proved wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Agree its not just the pedestrian lights, the whole junction is a disaster and with no end in sight. Ive started taking an alternative route on the school run as of today and plan to avoid the junction completely for whatever length of time the works go on for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's a nightmare and the surface getting on and off the bridge is a joke too.

I've seen head on collisions at the turn for Waterville just past the temporary roundabout as well as crashes at the bottom of the hill.

They never covered up the misleading signage at Junction 2 or coming out of the centre either, more near accidents and road rage.

All of this was supposed to be finished Q3 LAST YEAR, according to an update from a Fingal Councillor last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I've avoided that junction since the day it was created.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Just pointing back to my post in 6 years ago.

The county engineer who signed off on this design should be sacked. But that will never happen in their cozy state ivory towers.

What a waste of tax payers money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

What would be better? I doubt that there is space for a free flow layout, especially with 5 roads going into the junction on the south side of the N3 (Blanch village, Coolmine, Blanch Centre, Snugborough and N3 eastbound).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It would be better if there was a road on the north side of the N3 connecting the interchange bridge and the bridge next to the Liberty Insurance building. Then you could turn it all into a one-way large square movement.

That alone would probably solve a large amount of the bottlenecking by removing a large source of traffic countering each other (Centre->Village, Village/N3->Corduff, Westend->Village/Corduff)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

While I would tend to agree with You ( especially to turn right over the N3 heading up to Ballycoolin ), having both lanes open again for Coolmine/BSC it is flowing better I think.

Let me get my crayons out.

1) Put in roundabout on South-West side (traffic flows are reasonable, enough space, safer and there are plenty of 5 way roundabouts around ireland and the world that work well).

2) Cloverleaf free flow leading onto N3 south bound. (Blanchardstown Rd junction with N3)

Better job, done in 10% the time, and at 20% of the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Interesting idea, especially the clover leaf onto N3 eastbound.

The roundabout would have to have pedestrian crossings at each leg (just like now) and I would think that the roundabout might need to be signalised because of the busier legs might prevent the quieter legs from getting a turn. Then there's the matter of safe access for cyclists...

They should have pedestrian and cycling flyovers so they have better access and deconflict them from other road traffic.

If you thought you could bypass all the traffic by not taking a car perhaps more would.

Certainly a few compromises to ensure cycling and pedestrian safety, but it's so frustrating seeing so much money being spent for minimal impact.

In an ideal world we wouldn't need a car, but that would require serious investment in a metro and luas system. Just look at what Copenhagen has, with similarly population.

No vusionaries whatsoever in this country. We think we're now an outward looking country, but when it comes to serious strategic decision, we're still extreamly conservative and insular.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm so sick of these works. Uneven surfaces, moving lanes, big metal plates with bolts sticking out of them that you have to drive over, not to mention drivers doing whatever the hell they want. Oh and we were promised the underpass would be open by now. Walking from Waterville/Corduff to the village takes way longer now that pedestrians are pushed to the far side of the bridge too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pale Red

There's already 3 merges onto N3 heading towards M50. I would remove the right turn, after the bridge, onto the N3 slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I think that merge is too important an access route for city bound traffic to surrender. I'd imagine most Clonsilla, Coolmine and maybe even Carpenterstown traffic use that right turn to head to the city and M50.

I assume they'd use Blanchardstown North where possible. It moves better.

The left filter on Blanch Main Street turning onto Snugborough Road is out of bounds for a while. Temporary pedestrian access in place instead.

Lights are out on all sides. Avoid.

Advertisement