Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snugborough Interchange Upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pale Red

Road works mostly finished early December. Other work continues into the new year.

https://www.snugboroughinterchange.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The Clonsilla Rd is tailing bank most of the day now. It's a complete joke. Does anyone know if the changes to the light sequencing for the Clonsilla Rd/Main St junction and the Main St/Snugsborough Road is permanent? They have made a complete mess of it if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Try living on that stretch of road & not being able to get out of your driveway! Fed up to my back teeth of it

I live in one of the estates off it so I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I thought of that while sitting in the traffic yesterday. Getting out of your driveway is impossible and you also unwillingly block traffic behind you if you need to turn right into your driveway from the village as cars can't move to give you space. A mess indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Lights are out at shopping centre/village/Snugborough Road junction. Carnage

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭galaxy12

I think a lot of trees have been felled on both sides of the road as you come from Waterville side towards the intersection or take left coming in from Blanch towards Waterville .

The whole intersection looks a horrible concrete mess .

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

The funny thing is that it still won't fix the problem. They needed a sweeping bend for traffic to go from the N3 up towards Ballycoolin Ind Est. The amount of heavy goods vehicles is huge and having to wait at the junction for the green light is just going to maintain the problem and not fix it. Once again, its very short-sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Would anyone be up for just one more lane?

https://twitter.com/alanthefisher/status/1491148250543386625

As someone who lives in Waterville these works have had and continue to have a very negative effect on accessibility, deliveries, even public transport. It recently took me an hour to drive to a 2pm appointment in Castleknock, if I'd been well enough I could have walked it in half of that. With Christmas traffic now added into the mix it's beyond a nightmare, and it's not much better for traffic trying to get in/out of the centre at junction 2. And to add insult to injury they still haven't covered up the overhead signs that suggest multiple lanes so there's still road-rage going on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Austin1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Exactly. Going by the signage over the off-ramp, the sole change is there are now two lanes to turn right to go towards the NAC etc. But what’s the point in that when as soon as You cross the N3, it’s a single lane.

Another thing-going by the signage, there’s going to be a bus lane, which raises 2 questions for me:

1. As I see it there will be five lanes driving up the ramp. Is there room for four, let alone 5 lanes? &
    2. i don't recall ever seeing a bus route going up that ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The B-spine and W4 are set to make use of that off-ramp.

Historically, 38A also used it when it skipped Blanch village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

That's the current 38B. Wasn't aware it was still running as a route, thought it stopped entirely when it was no longer the special ITB journey.

The original 38A way back when it was first introduced (like early-noughties) was through Blanch Village but not Castleknock. Then a few years later, it became via the N3 skipping Blanchardstown entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I’m not overly familiar with the bus routes so thanks for the heads up. I drove up that junction yesterday & still cannot fathom how 5 lanes will fit in there. As said above by ‘a Knight of Ireland’ there will still be traffic lights and as each junction is controlled individually I’d say the vast majority of HGV’s turning right at the top of that ramp will be driving up the hill towards Ballycoolin which is only a single lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Very underwhelmed with it.

I never looked at the initial videos or studied the architect maps (I wouldn't understand the latter anyway) but I'd kinda assumed that such a long and disruptive job was going to lead to something like the M50/N3 roundabout so that many right turns could be made via underpasses without being stopped by traffic lights. It seems as if it's going to make little difference for say the 38a coming from Blanchardstown towards Corduff - still likely going to have a long queue for a change (quite often a double change) at a 5-way set of traffic lights.

If you compare the amount of space the M50/N3 junction takes up, you'd probably find that there isn't enough space for something similar at Snugborough Road.

I guess the hope is that the westbound N3 off ramp will have a lane for each direction so there will be more throughput for each cycle of the traffic lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

This is a screenshot from a document from June 2021 so people know what was planned.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Austin1

New section of the bridge FINALLY open today and they've closed the old section off. Hopefully the resurfacing/updating of the old part won't take too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pale Red

What they have done to the traffic light sequence at the Clonsilla Rd/Blanchardstown Village junction is an absolute clusterf*CK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Completely agree. I'm sitting here right now looking at the traffic blocking my gate, as it has done for weeks now. I complained to Fingal Co Co on Nov 29 and I got a reply on Dec 12:

"I wish to inform you the junction of Clonsilla Road and Main Street was recently resurfaced. During the resurfacing works, the traffic loops in the road sustained some damage and this has caused the traffic lights to set to default mode. The default mode is not as efficient as when traffic loops are operational. The Operation Department is aware of the issue and has instructed the Council's Signals contractor to attend site in the coming days and repair the loops."

Clearly they are taking their sweet time carrying out these repairs. It's driving (ba dum tss) me nuts!

Contractors are consistently crap after road works (and Fingal as bad for not reviewing the work). It took about 5 years for bike symbols to be added to the cycle lanes outside Luttrellstown Community College. It took years for ASL areas of Laurel Lodge Road/Castleknock Road junction to be fixed after it was resurfaced (and still not fully done).

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

It's probably not ideal to measure gridlock in the week before Christmas at an interchange adjacent to one of Ireland’s busiest shopping centres. Traffic volumes are insanely higher and the remaining roadworks at Snugborough are probably adding to the chaos. I drove the N3 home yesterday and even the junction further out (for the SC and Mulhuddart ) was bedlam with queuing on the N3 almost back to Snugborough at 5pm. Its just the time of year unfortunately combined with the roadworks to create a perfect storm. I'd rather judge the completed project in April after the works complete and more regular non sessonal traffic patterns resume than write off the new upgrade prematurely.

Sorry, but nobody in the previous posts are judging it purely on Christmas week. This has been ongoing for over a month. They literally acknowledged in the reply to HJ that the Singal sequence was defaulted during the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

To be fair, the book of general conditions of contract in Ireland, and the terms for retaining some or all of the Bond until these snags are fully addressed, are pathetic.

To my mind, there should be a 15% balloon payment that isn't payable until the client project engineer is happy that every last bolt is tightened and bit of paving sealed.

I suspect that would wake the contractors up to finish what they have signed up to build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Ive relocated to corduff for the short term and the traffic getting across the bridge from the snugborough road to blanchardstown village is an absolute mess, pedestrian lights are causing mayhem with tailbacks all the way up the the road behind then two lanes join into one at the temp roundabout and then into 2 again. Just looking the website and attached "newsletter' give next to no information on what dates the project is to be completed. It takes roughly 20 minutes from entering the queue to get across the short bridge off peak.

The lack of traffic management is stark as buses and taxis are having to force their way across the bridge after leaving the bus lane.. it really shows the level of planning around projects in ireland are brutal.

Advertisement