Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

whippet wrote: »
    I saw something on facebook where an influencer has come out to deny it was him.

To be fair the ease of which drugs can be sourced needs to be highlighted - also the fact that the vast majority are being made up in bathtubs.

Bizarrely I was only ever offered the stuff once and that was a couple of weeks ago when someone I know asked if i'd be interested in changing supplier as he could do me a decent deal -- it came as a shock to him that was I actually natty !!
    I saw that too but wasn't sold on his response tbh - "I've hardly grown" but then again I know nothing about that stuff but I'm guessing it could help keep them lean all year round?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

Keano wrote: »
    I saw that too but wasn't sold on his response tbh - "I've hardly grown" but then again I know nothing about that stuff but I'm guessing it could help keep them lean all year round?

It’s not all about growing and gains ... but when you have tens of thousands of insta followers and a revenue stream you want to be as clean as a whistle !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've recorded the show but haven't watched it yet.

However, the bit about being made in bathtubs reminds me of this video where they talked about how people tried to enhance performance without really knowing how performance could be enhanced.
    First, they tried drinking the semen of animals. Didn't work. Tried eating the testicles of animals. Didn't work. They tried surgically implanting animal testicles into themselves and it resulted in near-fatal organ rejection and/or death.

Around WW2, testosterone was first synthesised. At first, it was synthesised but required the donated urine of hundreds of Berlin police officers processed to turn in 10mg of test. When they realised how unfeasible that was, they managed to process hundreds of bull testicles to get around 10mg of test which had a potency half life of less than a day.

I'm sure I got some details wrong, but it's mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I was a bit disappointed that it focused on the more typical young male" users rather than highlighting females who are using it as well. I thought this would have helped demonstrate the widespread use among non-traditional users now too as a result of the spread of social media / fitness in general and prep etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was a bit disappointed that it focused on the more typical young male" users rather than highlighting females who are using it as well. I thought this would have helped demonstrate the widespread use among non-traditional users now too as a result of the spread of social media / fitness in general and prep etc.

I suppose it may have been dictated by who was willing to talk about it. If no females would admit to it, then it's hard to include any meaningful content.

But I agree it would have been good to shine a light on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I suppose it may have been dictated by who was willing to talk about it. If no females would admit to it, then it's hard to include any meaningful content.

But I agree it would have been good to shine a light on it.

Good point, and I am sure they struggled to get the few people they had on to talk. However, they could have even had a doctor or another expert on commenting about it, maybe a psychologist or somebody who would have experience dealing with women / older people who have taken them, or even just mentioned it a bit more often in terms of how the profile of a typical user these days has changed etc.

Some people were shocked by it on social media even though I actually thought it was quite mild and was expecting a lot worse to be shown, and I think if they had thrown light on the fact that quite a few "ordinary" girls are now talking them too it would have been even more of a wake-up call.

Good point, and I am sure they struggled to get the few people they had on to talk. However, they could have even had a doctor or another expert on commenting about it, maybe a psychologist or somebody who would have experience dealing with women / older people who have taken them, or even just mentioned it a bit more often in terms of how the profile of a typical user these days has changed etc.

Some people were shocked by it on social media even though I actually thought it was quite mild and was expecting a lot worse to be shown, and I think if they had thrown light on the fact that quite a few "ordinary" girls are now talking them too it would have been even more of a wake-up call.

Absolutely. And while I think that there may have been an issue getting female contributors, it's highly likely RTE didn't think to delve into that side of the issue. It's definitely just steroids for big muscles. That's the only reason people take them

Unsure if you hate yourself enough?

Do zercher squats/good mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Unsure if you hate yourself enough?

Do zercher squats/good mornings.
    n00b query but looking to do good mornings with a barbell from a seated position. Are these effectively as good for your back as back extensions?

My gym doesn't have a specific back extension machine so wondering if good mornings are the answer to that or if there's any other variation like the zercher shown that I could use.

I've poor back & core strength so trying to implement things like hanging leg raises and stuff like this rather than just attempting to lift heavy - reckon they're a good accompaniment to squats/deadlifts/pull ups etc.

D'Agger wrote: »
    n00b query but looking to do good mornings with a barbell from a seated position. Are these effectively as good for your back as back extensions?

My gym doesn't have a specific back extension machine so wondering if good mornings are the answer to that or if there's any other variation like the zercher shown that I could use.

I've poor back & core strength so trying to implement things like hanging leg raises and stuff like this rather than just attempting to lift heavy - reckon they're a good accompaniment to squats/deadlifts/pull ups etc.

Any reason why you're looking at variations of the Good Morning and not the Good Morning itself?

Does your gym have a safety squat bar?

I'd probably choose straight up Good Morning or using a safety squat bar or Romanian Deadlift (RDL) as an alternative to back extension. Seated GM takes a some of the work feom glutes and hamstrings out of it and is more about spinal erectors, I think.

The front loading of the zercher variation does work the core a little harder but you need to hate yourself or have someone who hates you do your programming ( :) ) to persevere.

If you want to hammer your core, ab rollouts will do that. You will have DOMS and turning in bed will not be pleasant for a couple of nights after you first bring them in but they are effective. And planks.

• Advertisement

Any reason why you're looking at variations of the Good Morning and not the Good Morning itself?

Does your gym have a safety squat bar?

I'd probably choose straight up Good Morning or using a safety squat bar or Romanian Deadlift (RDL) as an alternative to back extension. Seated GM takes a some of the work feom glutes and hamstrings out of it and is more about spinal erectors, I think.

The front loading of the zercher variation does work the core a little harder but you need to hate yourself or have someone who hates you do your programming ( :) ) to persevere.

If you want to hammer your core, ab rollouts will do that. You will have DOMS and turning in bed will not be pleasant for a couple of nights after you first bring them in but they are effective. And planks.
    I don't think the gym has a safety squat bar tbh though I can have a better look around. I was thinking of the seated variation with a view towards building up to the full GM. I'd have a fairly weak back and abs - bad enough anterior pelvic tilt so ab roll outs are something I try to avoid, just find myself constantly going into my back and not my abs - I've been told by physios to avoid planks for APT but I do an easier variation of it and it's fine.

Been working away with compound movements like squat, bench, deadlift, pull ups but want to work on where I'm weak which is abs, back, hips so it looks like GM or GM variations may help me here!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don't think the gym has a safety squat bar tbh though I can have a better look around. I was thinking of the seated variation with a view towards building up to the full GM. I'd have a fairly weak back and abs - bad enough anterior pelvic tilt so ab roll outs are something I try to avoid, just find myself constantly going into my back and not my abs - I've been told by physios to avoid planks for APT but I do an easier variation of it and it's fine.

Been working away with compound movements like squat, bench, deadlift, pull ups but want to work on where I'm weak which is abs, back, hips so it looks like GM or GM variations may help me here!

Romanian deadlifts and glute/ham raises are your friends there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Romanian deadlifts and glute/ham raises are your friends there.
    Thanks Brian, DLs are definitely catching my glutes and hamstrings plus core, will try to get glute raises in there too.

Been using resistence bands to do stuff like clamshell and glute bridges to warm up too which is helping to both strengthen and have them firing for heavier lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

I've always used relatively heavy front squat doubles as a deadlift warm up, something which Hanley would have us do when I trained at his gym. Definitely gets the glutes fired up and ensures your back and core are engaged, if that is what you are looking for.

VW 1 wrote: »
    I've always used relatively heavy front squat doubles as a deadlift warm up, something which Hanley would have us do when I trained at his gym. Definitely gets the glutes fired up and ensures your back and core are engaged, if that is what you are looking for.
    Been looking into front squats lately too - just with the bar to try and get form down and I'm not comfortable with them to be honest. I'm coming from a GAA-head position whereby up until two years ago I hadn't done proper squats or deadlifts...ever, with those it took me a while to get form and even then it can be improved on for definite but I'd be taking a cautious approach if looking to add that, it'd be a while before I'd be confident doing anything remotely heavy.

That said, I've seen a big difference in the last year in doing compound exercises the last 12months even and with that it's worth noting I'd only have done pre season and follow up work would be resistance band stuff so nothing heavy.

Where does the difficulty lie with front squats? Is it the unracking/bracing or the movement of the lift? I personally find it hard to front squat without a decent amount of weight on the bar.

Where does the difficulty lie with front squats? Is it the unracking/bracing or the movement of the lift? I personally find it hard to front squat without a decent amount of weight on the bar.
    Yeah I wasn't sure if I had it braced correctly and I don't think I was performing the movement well i.e. I was leaned forward, trying very much to keep posture straight and weight on heels but yeah, will give it a crack with some weight this evening and see how I fare prior to Deadlifts and some lunges, I'll be like John Wayne for a few days

Yeah I wasn't sure if I had it braced correctly and I don't think I was performing the movement well i.e. I was leaned forward, trying very much to keep posture straight and weight on heels but yeah, will give it a crack with some weight this evening and see how I fare prior to Deadlifts and some lunges, I'll be like John Wayne for a few days

Based on the little info above, I'd hazard a guess that you could do with some ankle mobility. I doubt it's the only thing at play but if you end up leaning too far forward, it's probably because you can't shove your knees as far forward as they need to be.

https://squatuniversity.com/2015/11/05/the-squat-fix-ankle-mobility-pt-1/

Thanks Brian, DLs are definitely catching my glutes and hamstrings plus core, will try to get glute raises in there too.

Been using resistence bands to do stuff like clamshell and glute bridges to warm up too which is helping to both strengthen and have them firing for heavier lifting.

Have you ever done monster walks to warm up? I think the more unilateral stuff you can do the better. It's quite common to have one weaker glute that doesn't fire properly.

Lunges can help here too.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ugh I miss proper squats and deads.

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Ugh I miss proper squats and deads.

I feel your pain.

Have you ever done monster walks to warm up? I think the more unilateral stuff you can do the better. It's quite common to have one weaker glute that doesn't fire properly.

Lunges can help here too.
    Haven't done monster walks from a quick google there but a variation of them for sure. Did lunges today, will aim to do them more, they kill me tbh, did deads today also but finishing on lunges, it's like all your stabilizing muscles are shot and you're just not steady on your feet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've realised myself that my left glute doesn't activate in anyway as good as my right glute!

Haven't done monster walks from a quick google there but a variation of them for sure. Did lunges today, will aim to do them more, they kill me tbh, did deads today also but finishing on squats, it's like all your stabilizing muscles are shot and you're just not steady on your feet

That’s probably a sign they needed more work. It’ll get easier.

There’s a tendency for people to rely on bilateral exercises to fix week points, but usually there’s also a left/right imbalance. The only way to know how bad is to get tested by a physio.

they/them/theirs

That’s probably a sign they needed more work. It’ll get easier.

There’s a tendency for people to rely on bilateral exercises to fix week points, but usually there’s also a left/right imbalance. The only way to know how bad is to get tested by a physio.
    Absolutely, going to incorporate them into any session that involves deads/squats so twice per week basically. The exercise itself doesn't kill me, well able for them but yeah, legs are shot after them, navigating stairs is a balls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Absolutely, going to incorporate them into any session that involves deads/squats so twice per week basically. The exercise itself doesn't kill me, well able for them but yeah, legs are shot after them, navigating stairs is a balls :D

Or trying to sit down/get up off a toilet.

Particularly after reverse lunges.

The devil's exercise.

Just listening to a JuggLife podcast and CWS had a stat that up until the start of 2018 there had only ever been 19 totals with a 600+ Wilks in the history of the sport* and 14 of those had been done by 3 lifters (Gasparyn, Eric Lilliebridge, Malanichev); 8 lifters in total.

In 2018, 17 different lifters made 25 totals that had a Wilks of 600+.

7 of the top 10 in 2018 were in the female category.

* Raw + wraps
    * taken from Openpowerlifting.org...it doesn't seem to include Ed Coan so the numbers might be out, IPF wiped records notwithstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Anyone done a cycle of GVT? If so how did you find it and what exercises did you use? Seems to be a few different variants out on the old web.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Anyone done a cycle of GVT? If so how did you find it and what exercises did you use? Seems to be a few different variants out on the old web.

I done one a while back. Gained 12ish kg and after a strength cycle after it had my best comp to date. This was straight after a pretty drastic cut though so the weight gain prob would have happened without it having to be GVT but I felt it helped. i see a lot of noise about it only being for enhanced lifters but it definitely packed on some good weight for me.

Day 1
    A1 dumbbell bench
    A2 chin ups
    B1 incline dumbbell flyes
    B2 chest supported rows

Day 2
    A1 High bar squat
    A2 Dolly curls
    B1 Hanging leg raise
    B2 GHR

Don't think it's a very conventional way of doing it or I didn't see it around the web anyway but it worked for me.

All of it was tempo work. Maintaining the tempo was fairly up there in importance doing this. It also kept my numbers below 60% 1RM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I done one a while back. Gained 12ish kg and after a strength cycle after it had my best comp to date. This was straight after a pretty drastic cut though so the weight gain prob would have happened without it having to be GVT but I felt it helped. i see a lot of noise about it only being for enhanced lifters but it definitely packed on some good weight for me.

Day 1
    A1 dumbbell bench
    A2 chin ups
    B1 incline dumbbell flyes
    B2 chest supported rows

Day 2
    A1 High bar squat
    A2 Dolly curls
    B1 Hanging leg raise
    B2 GHR

Don't think it's a very conventional way of doing it or I didn't see it around the web anyway but it worked for me.

All of it was tempo work. Maintaining the tempo was fairly up there in importance doing this. It also kept my numbers below 60% 1RM.

Thanks. Some different exercises there I had to google!

Did you only do two days? What rest periods? Where you doing anything else at the same time?

Advertisement