Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Whenever I read stuff like that bone China thing I remember how a really useless I'd be if I travelled back in time.

All id have is good geography and know that America was there! Maybe emphasise how important sanitation is.

But I couldn't help in any practical ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Here are some facts about the year 1500:

They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all peein a pot & then once a day it was taken & sold to the tannery.......

if you had to do this to survive you were "Piss Poor"

But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot...........

they "didn’t have a pot to piss in" and were the lowest of the low.

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and they still smelled pretty good by June.

However, since they were starting to smell. .. . Brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odour.

Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water.

The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water.

Then all the other sons and men.

Then the women and finally the children.

Last of all the babies.

By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it.

Hence the saying,

Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water!"

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath.

It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof.

When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof.

Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs."

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house.

This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings Could mess up your nice clean bed.

Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection.

That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt.

Only the wealthy had something other than dirt.

Hence the saying, "Dirt poor."

The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing.

As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside.

A piece of wood was placed in the entrance-way.

Hence: a thresh hold.

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire.

Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot.

They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat.

They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day.

Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while.

Hence the rhyme: Peas porridge hot, peas’ porridge cold, peas’ porridge in the pot nine days old.

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special.

When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off.

It was a sign of wealth that a man could, "bring home the bacon."

They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat.

Those with money had plates made of pewter.

Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death.

This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status.

Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky.

The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days.

Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial.

They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they
    would wake up.

Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people.

So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave.

When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive.

So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell.

Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell;

thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a dead ringer...

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

The yearly bath makes no sense.

If they had the tub why wouldn't they bathe more often

Surely the tub is the difficult part to procure. Heating water is easy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not if you have to go to the local fountain or stream to get it, then heat it, and you have to fill a tub that's, what, 80 litres?

Fourier wrote: »

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Bravo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

New Home wrote: »
    Not if you have to go to the local fountain or stream to get it, then heat it, and you have to fill a tub that's, what, 80 litres?

And you would have to fetch the wood for the fire as well before you started.

I'm sure there's a bit of work involved. But 5 or 6 big buckets from the nearest water source would be grand. Pribabaly only have to boil one buckets worth to make it warm

Well yeah. But they generally had a fire going every single day anyways. Not just for bath day . Fire was there. Heat a pot of water over it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or have enough money for buying the coal.
    Well yeah. But they generally had a fire going every single day anyways. Not just for bath day . Fire was there. Heat a pot of water over it

A large pot of water is 3 or 4 litres, a bucket is 4-6. Repeat 20 times at least.
    For the poorest, the fire would've been kept mostly for cooking and therefore at a bare minimum, heating was a luxury few could afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

New Home wrote:

And it's a 6 mile walk to get it.

Uphill in both directions.

• Advertisement

I'm sure there's a bit of work involved. But 5 or 6 big buckets from the nearest water source would be grand. Pribabaly only have to boil one buckets worth to make it warm

If you have one part of boiling water and add two parts of cold water you get water that's approx. 33 degrees Celsius, less than body temperature, and therefore it would be perceived as barely lukewarm.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

You forgot about the snow...

Oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Having grown up in a rural house without a washing machine, I remember wash day (clothes). Large fire going that day, boiling a big pots of water.

If you have one part of boiling water and add two parts of cold water you get water that's approx. 33 degrees Celsius, less than body temperature, and therefore it would be perceived as barely lukewarm.

Pretty sure swimming pools are only around 28. 33 be grand

510044.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Water John wrote: »
    Having grown up in a rural house without a washing machine, I remember wash day (clothes). Large fire going that day, boiling a big pots of water.

Fetch the Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

As to the joys and dangers of fetching water forward to 26:00

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Pretty sure swimming pools are only around 28. 33 be grand
    Peaches are cooking on trees in Australia at the moment due to temperatures reaching 45 degrees.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Maybe this is common knowledge but it’s new to me...

How to work out what a binary number is in decimal:

Starting from the right hand number assign it a 1. Then the one to the left of it double that at 2. Then the one to the left of that double again at 4, etc.

Then everywhere you have a 1 you add the assigned number to it and everywhere you have a 0 you don’t.

So: 1100100 = 64+32+0+0+4+0+0 = 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

01000111 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 00100000 01111001 01100001 00100000 01100111 01101111 01101111 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01101110 01100111

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

"Go on ya good thing", apparently

01010011 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110011 01100101 01101100 01101100 01110011 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01110011 00100000 01101111 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100001 01110011 01101000 01101111 01110010 01100101 00100000

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Am sure this may have been covered elsewhere but, prior to the French Revolution, the Ace was the lowest value card in a deck of cards i.e. 1. Post the Revolution, the common man was seen as above Royalty, so the lowly Ace was re-ranked to be higher than the King.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

rgmmg wrote: »
    Am sure this may have been covered elsewhere but, prior to the French Revolution, the Ace was the lowest value card in a deck of cards i.e. 1. Post the Revolution, the common man was seen as above Royalty, so the lowly Ace was re-ranked to be higher than the King.

I was reading up on this lately and it's kind of a half-truth. Traditionally the ace was a 1, but there are games dating back well before the revolution in which aces were high. What's more likely is that this practice became aligned with political beliefs, as reflected in the proliferation of artworks that venerated the ace and so on. So the rule change was first, the idea that it was a clever reflection of political transformations came second.

Apparently picture cards were "deposed" after the revolution: new decks at the time still had picture cards but they no longer possessed crowns and were instead now allegorical figures for liberty equality and fraternity. When Napoleon became emporer, and royalty was back on the menu, this was reversed, with new picture cards that were reflective of contemporary royalty. Eventually people's preference for medieaval designs won out, though, so this brief transformation of cards ended up with them looking as they always had done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYlyx8afNBO1LFjl_RwBmAoGgGpJhJLiD5vqUDdZTEWq9QolYKrQ
    Above is the Irukandji jellyfish (found on the coast of Queensland, Australia) with an adult size being roughly a cubic centimetre, they are both the smallest and one of the most venomous jellyfish in the world. Unlike most jellyfish, which have stingers only on their tentacles, the Irukandji also has stingers on its bell. Biologists have yet to discover the purpose of this unique characteristic. The hypothesis is that the feature enables the jellyfish to be more likely to catch its prey of small fish.

If a human is stung, they get what is known as Irukandji syndrome. It is rarely fatal, but always requires hospitalisation. Symptoms include muscle cramps in the arms and legs, severe pain in the back and kidneys, a burning sensation of the skin and face, headaches, nausea, restlessness, sweating, vomiting and an increase in heart rate and blood pressure etc.

220px-Irukandji-jellyfish-queensland-australia.jpg
    Above is a Malo kingi (venomous species of Irukandji) in a clear plastic vial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Maybe this is well known but David Bowie helped bring down the Berlin Wall, sort of. It's said he was a catalyst.

He held an open concert in 1987 in West Germany near the wall. Thousands of East Berliners were listening from the other side. Before he sang Heroes (which was written about a couple standing at the wall), he gave a shout out and said 'we send our wishes to all our friends who are on the other side of the wall' which was met with cheers.

After he performed Heroes, the East Berliners apparently began chanting 'the wall must go' or 'the wall must fall.' Riots began and these were the first in a sequence of riots and protests that led to the fall of the Berlin Wall two years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Here are some facts about the year 1500:

They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all peein a pot & then once a day it was taken & sold to the tannery.......

if you had to do this to survive you were "Piss Poor"

But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot...........

they "didn’t have a pot to piss in" and were the lowest of the low.

While some of the others are dubious at best this one stood out to me as a myth.

The expression piss-poor is recent and has nothing to do with tanning. The current state of research suggests that it may have been invented during the Second World War, because the first examples in print date from 1946. Though it is still classed as low slang by dictionaries, its mildly unpleasant associations have become blunted by time and familiarity.

The origin is straightforward. Piss began to be attached to other words during the twentieth century to intensify their meaning. Ezra Pound invented piss-rotten in 1940 (distasteful or unpleasant, the first example on record) and we’ve since had piss-easy (very easy), piss-weak (cowardly or pathetic), piss-elegant (affectedly refined, pretentious), piss-awful (very unpleasant) and other forms.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mzungu wrote: »
    Above is the Irukandji jellyfish (found on the coast of Queensland, Australia)

“Describing his experience with the sting of an extremely toxic jellyfish, he did something you don't often see a scientist do: he shivered.”
    ― Bill Bryson, In a Sunburned Country

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

While some of the others are dubious at best this one stood out to me as a myth.

The expression piss-poor is recent and has nothing to do with tanning. The current state of research suggests that it may have been invented during the Second World War, because the first examples in print date from 1946. Though it is still classed as low slang by dictionaries, its mildly unpleasant associations have become blunted by time and familiarity.

The origin is straightforward. Piss began to be attached to other words during the twentieth century to intensify their meaning. Ezra Pound invented piss-rotten in 1940 (distasteful or unpleasant, the first example on record) and we’ve since had piss-easy (very easy), piss-weak (cowardly or pathetic), piss-elegant (affectedly refined, pretentious), piss-awful (very unpleasant) and other forms.

Well Done

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

509869.jpg

More here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Only 9% of the population of China hold passports.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement