Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

Fourier wrote: »
    This all relates to how quantum mechanics is not (at least yet) able to explain how our large scale world arises. The theory sort of assumes that there is a realm where objects that don't act quantum mechanically live (our classical world).

So many people think the actual "stuff" just gets forced into concepts that make sense in our macroworld when we observe it. Since many pieces of equipment are designed to detect particles, that's what they detect, but it isn't what's actually there.

As for what is actually there, the old Copenhagen idea is that we cannot know, or at least we can only know conceptually, but we'll never be able to write down a mathematical theory about it.

There are other ideas, but they're no less strange. Rovelli takes the idea in the first spoiler paragraph further and says everything is just "made" of the concepts that make sense to whoever is looking. So to one person I'm made of particles, to another with different equipment I'm made of fields, to others something else.

Another major line of thought says the world isn't made of anything. Thinking everything breaks down into basic fundamental pieces when you go low enough is just wrong.

And just when I think I'm starting to get a handle on things.......!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Candie wrote: »
    And just when I think I'm starting to get a handle on things.......!
    :D
    I guess the short take away is that nobody has a handle on these things. There is a lot we don't know, the concepts we do know only stretch so far and there might even be things we cannot know.

The funny thing is even a superpowerful AI won't know. If it really is the case that some things can't be understood mathematically and an AIs mind is made of maths (the Boolean operations in the computer circuitry), then it can't know either.

And with that non-explanation I'm off for another long while. :pac:

Sorry, your job is explaining things to dopes like me now. Get back here!*

*in your own time, of course. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sorry, your job is explaining things to dopes like me now. Get back here!*

My regular reaction when reading Fourier's posts.

giphy.gif

And this is a good thing. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

giphy.gif

I can only advise you to stay away from those spoilers!

*melty head*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

giphy.gif

This is my reaction:

tenor.gif?itemid=5396768

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

giphy.gif

Weirdly I find myself reading it and I'm fine with it all. I'm more like "I thought this thread was for stuff I didn't know"

But then again, I'm into proper science, you're into engineering. ;)

2xPuJ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Grayson wrote: »
    Weirdly I find myself reading it and I'm fine with it all. I'm more like "I thought this thread was for stuff I didn't know"

2xPuJ.gif

I'm not into science at all. It might as well be written in Chinese as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I can only advise you to stay away from those spoilers!

*melty head*

I think the spoilers are really the interesting thing because there is so much food for thought for a lot of aspects of life, if not all aspects.

I'm off thinking now...
    Melty head indeed :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's what Sheldon would say to Howard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm not into science at all. It might as well be written in Chinese as far as I'm concerned.

Chinese I do have a problem with. had to work on websites that were in chinese and even google translate would make a huge mess of it. Addresses would come out as "the man with the leg, by the river, on the ravens face"

Although, I don't know if I've mentioned this before but there's an interesting way that writing affects our perception of time.

If I ask someone in the west to draw a timeline, from past to future, the draw a line that goes from left to right, past to present. Arabic speakers will draw one from right to left. And chinese speakers will draw one that's vertical since chinese is written down a page.

Weirdly I find myself reading it and I'm fine with it all.
    Well I'm not! I can explain it and I know it, but I don't get it. That stuff might lie outside science, that there might not be fundamental building blocks to the world, that maths might not be universal and might just be in our heads....:confused:

I mean I like science as well, but this stuff was a shocker when I learned it toward the end of my doctorate. I wasn't far off poor Spongebob in Wibbs's image when I learned it first. I remember being in Spain when some of it was explained to me. The professor just went "And so we see that most likely there are things outside scientific comprehension". A Spanish fella sitting next to me just said "What the **** are we learning man?"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well I'm not! I can explain it and I know it, but I don't get it. That stuff might lie outside science, that there might not be fundamental building blocks to the world, that maths might not be universal and might just be in our heads....:confused:

I mean I like science as well, but this stuff was a shocker when I learned it toward the end of my doctorate. I wasn't far off poor Spongebob when I learned it first. I remember being in Spain when some of it was explained to me. The professor just went "And so we see that most likely there are things outside scientific comprehension". A Spanish fella sitting next to me just said "What the **** are we learning man?"

so the more you learn about this stuff the more you realise we actually know very little?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

And with that non-explanation I'm off for another long while. :pac:

This is exactly how I end most of my work meetings:D
    That stuff might lie outside science, that there might not be fundamental building blocks to the world, that maths might not be universal and might just be in our heads....:confused:

Surely there must be - whether people will ever be smart enough to comprehend what exactly they are is a different matter - but all this "stuff" must be made of something.........mustn't it:confused::confused:

Jaysus, I've just had the weirdest bout of deja vu typing that.

You better not have me stuck in some time warp fourier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

fouriers cat : Where I simultaneously know more and less about quantum mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

donegal. wrote: »
    fouriers cat : Where I simultaneously know more and less about quantum mechanics.

First Rule of QM Club:

quote-if-you-think-you-understand-quantum-mechanics-you-don-t-understand-quantum-mechanics-richard-p-feynman-84-72-97.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Battle of Hastings did not take place in Hastings, it took place seven miles down the road in a town aptly called Battle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Although, I don't know if I've mentioned this before but there's an interesting way that writing affects our perception of time.
    While we face the future and the past is behind us, there are some tribes that travel through time backwards.

You face the past because you can see it, you have your back to the future because you can't see it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Either that, or we're walking backwards towards the future. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Is Back to the Future fundamentally wrong then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

Fundamentally right!

I only know we don't need roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

New Home wrote: »
    Either that, or we're walking backwards towards the future. :)

Or The Goons got it; walking backwards to Christmas

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Consider a "not completed electron shell" (halogen) atom e.g. fluorine - it has 7 electrons in its outer shell, and so "wants" to gain an 8th to satisfy the octet rule and thereby gain stability..
    "wants" ?

This is fluorine you are talking about, the only thing it *wants* are the outer electrons of Neon. Everything else it takes, even short lived helium and argon compounds if the conditions are right.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Completely , it predicted a Donald Trump character running thing.

Or The Goons got it; walking backwards to Christmas

Last year's or next year's? Or this year's??

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Completely , it predicted a Donald Trump character running thing.

which way is it to the past & I'll re-write the script.

Do I go forwards or backways.

b318isp wrote: »
    First Rule of QM Club:
    “Not only is the Universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think.”

― Werner Heisenberg,

And lots of variations thereof.

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

― Bill Shakespeare

Surely there must be - whether people will ever be smart enough to comprehend what exactly they are is a different matter - but all this "stuff" must be made of something.........mustn't it:confused::confused:
    The idea is that everything is not made out of fundamental building blocks common to all objects, roughly speaking you could see it as rejecting the idea that there are a few "basic lego pieces" to the world and everything is just them put together in a certain way. Also there is serious doubt that without such building blocks the world can still be understood mathematically.

I'll just finish off (probably back March-ish) with some quotes, just so you know I'm not feeding you nonsense. I've converted some jargon to normal-ish English, indicated by [].
    1. Robert Wald, Charles H. Swift Distinguished Service Professor of Physics, University of Chicago:
      [The preceding] may appear paradoxical to readers who are used to thinking [that] the notion of particles has objective significance...the notion of particles [is merely] introduced as a convenient way of labeling states in certain situations
    2. Terry Rudolph, Professor of Quantum Physics, Imperial College London, also Schrödinger's grandson:
      I talk about the physical properties of a photon as if they were as tangible as any of the physical properties of the human scale objects in the room around me. They are not.
      For thousands of years the radical view was that [the world could be explained as] the motion of microscopic constituents. This perspective eventually won out, and has served science incredibly well - it is hard for me to let go of
      I have no confidence in the "correctness" of any of the physical properties our theories are premised on.
      By correctness he means actually exist, i.e. that energy, momentum, anything like particles, etc actually exist. He ends with a section on how every concept in our theories might be just useful to our minds, but not the truth.

3. Roland Omnes, Professor Emeritus of Theoretical Physics Paris:
      [This] could mean that quantum mechanics has reached an ultimate limit in the agreement between a mathematical theory and physical reality
      Physical Reality and [Human Logic and Mathematics] are intrinsically different
      To assume that reality can be known arbitrarily well in principle [by scientific theories] is [false]
      Some aspects of reality are not covered by [mathematics and human logic]
    4. Jeffrey Bub, Professor of Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, University of Maryland:
      It seems rational to accept that if [quantum mechanics] has it right, the nature of reality, the way things are, limits the sort of explanations that a physical theory can provide.
    5. Neils Bohr, Nobel Prize Winner:
      It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how nature is. Physics concerns what we can say about nature.
    6. Directly addressing what you said, Christopher Fuchs, Professor of Physics Boston:
      You do physics as you have always done it, but you throw away the idea “everything is made of [some fundamental objects]” before even starting

EDIT: Note popular books portray Einstein as objecting to randomness in QM. We know from letters to Wolfgang Pauli that he didn't care about this. He was actually more trying to see if the above "failure of science" was correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

This question brushes up on the topics of "primitive ontologies" in the philosophy of physics.

One view among physicists is that a physical theory must make claims about what fundamentally exists (primitive variables), and how these fundamentally existing things behave (nomological variables).

But (as Fourier's references imply) this is increasingly becoming a minority view. Instead of describing reality in terms of a primitive existence, modern physicists often speak about reality in terms of the properties it exhibits to us.

[edit] - This is a great bit of writing by Werner Heisenberg on the wrinkles QM has introduced to our intuitions about reality. Specifcially page 74 of 91 "Language and Reality in Modern Physics"

http://www.naturalthinker.net/trl/texts/Heisenberg,Werner/Heisenberg,%20Werner%20-%20Physics%20and%20philosophy.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement