Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

He's very responsive to tweets or messages to his show. I'd be surprised if you asked him to explain that he wouldn't either acknowledge the mistake or explain the reasoning behind it.

The reasoning behind it - like so many others of this nature - is down to laziness and once a mistake is made, it's continually repeated. The erroneous inclusion on compilations of album versions instead of radio edits / 7" mixes is very common when it comes to genres outside of dance and pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The reasoning behind it - like so many others of this nature - is down to laziness and once a mistake is made, it's continually repeated. The erroneous inclusion on compilations of album versions instead of radio edits / 7" mixes is very common when it comes to genres outside of dance and pop.

Yeah, no need to ask a question when you already know the answer.....

TD is passionate about music and respecting the creators. Aside from an explanation, I suspect he would even be interested in hearing this if he didn't realise it.

I might ask him at some stage. I did tweet him about my The Last Bus Home but didn't get a reply.

With The Beatles [their second LP] was released on the same day JFK was shot.
    The White Album came out exactly five years later [22 November 1968].

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ronaldo is 869 days older than Messi. He is 33 years old and will turn 34 on 5th February, 2019. Messi is 31 and will turn 32 on 24th June, 2019

The interesting thing?
    Their sons were born 869 days apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

The Osmonds had a song banned in the 70's. Just when you thought they innocent. Albeit misunderstanding lyrics.

Crazy Horses was banned in France & South Africa

Edit: link

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Horses

September 1992: after their first three EPs got Single Of The Week in Melody Maker (and two of them achieved the same in NME), Cork band The Frank And Walters set off on a UK tour. They brought this band along as support.

frankandradiohead.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

BaZmO* wrote: »

042210_1418_WhyDontDuck21.png

Thanks for that, very interesting. But that is seriously the single worst drawing of a ducks foot I've ever seen ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

gozunda wrote: »
    Thanks for that, very interesting. But that is seriously the single worst drawing of a ducks foot I've ever seen ... :pac:

Taken from the web.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hah! Webbed toes! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

September 1992: after their first three EPs got Single Of The Week in Melody Maker (and two of them achieved the same in NME), Cork band The Frank And Walters set off on a UK tour. They brought this band along as support.

frankandradiohead.jpg
    Radiohead also played support for the sultans of ping at one stage, which is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The guy Bond fights in this scene from You Only Live Twice (1967) is Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's grandfather on his mother's side.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oddjob the bodyguard to Bond villain Auric Goldfinger was played by Toshiyuki "Harold" Sakata.

He won a silver Olympic medal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Oliver Stone appeared on a celebrity edition of the popular US game show Jeopardy in 1997. He won the game and in the process raised $15,000 for charity. He subsequently admitted to being on ecstasy at the time and credited it with his victory by increasing his response time on the buzzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

It's a long thread , and apologies if this has been posted before!

A Cadburys Flake will not melt in a microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    It's a long thread , and apologies if this has been posted before!

This is going to get tested today. Is there a reason why not?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm making an assumption here - probably too low a water content, and a very low cocoa butter content, too (if any).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Oddjob the bodyguard to Bond villain Auric Goldfinger was played by Toshiyuki "Harold" Sakata.

He won a silver Olympic medal.
    In weightlifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Flake didn't melt because Lucy forgot to turn the microwave on.

Water John wrote: »
    The Flake didn't melt because Lucy forgot to turn the microwave on.

Maybe it would just catch fire because of the sugar content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭Poochie05

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    The UK Foreign Office has an official cat, named Palmerston. Job title is Chief Mouser. He has 73,000 Twitter followers.
    https://twitter.com/DiploMog
    DtPsiRYW0AAND96.jpg

Jacob Rhys Moggy 🙀

I have my coat already...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Must have been fierce competition in the Foreign Office between Boris and Palmerston as to who was the biggest pussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

mzungu wrote: »
    Oliver Stone appeared on a celebrity edition of the popular US game show Jeopardy in 1997. He won the game and in the process raised $15,000 for charity. He subsequently admitted to being on ecstasy at the time and credited it with his victory by increasing his response time on the buzzer.

The adverts in the middle of that.

Take fat stopper and eat whatever you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

b318isp wrote: »
    What is a magnet or, perhaps more accurately, a magnetic field?

While many people understand the mechanism by the movement of an electric charge, there is also a second cause related to the spin properties of fundamental particles.

When you experience the effects of a permanent magnet on magnetic materials, or another magnet, you actually are directly detecting quantum affects creating a form of angular momentum. It's inherent in the atomic motion of certain particles, such as electrons and photons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_moment#Atoms,_molecules,_and_elementary_particles
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(physics)#Magnetic_moments
    Just so you know (I think few books mention this), a particle's spin has nothing to do with its motion. A particle can be unmoving and still have spin.

When you use a spin detector the amount of spin on an electron is so large the electron would have to be spinning faster than light to generate it.

For this reason some people think spin is actually just an effect on our devices and not something the electron really has, i.e. our detectors start spinning in the presence of an electron, but not because the electron is spinning. Opinions differ on what is actually causing the spinning if not the electron.

Also a little known aspect of Relativity is that what you see as an electric field somebody moving near the speed of light (with respect to you) might see as a magnetic field. So there's no objective fact as to whether a field is electric or magnetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

This is an interesting topic because in relation to magnetism I always remember the electric field lines I've learned about at school. Especially Ferromagnetism.

csm_20111209_Dipol_Photodisc_2da93444ac.jpg

I was fascinated how iron filings are rearranged around a magnet as in the picture above. It was explained that atoms with not completed (?) electron shells react like magnetic dipoles. And then my eyes glazed over and I didn't understand anything anymore.

It's probably standard physics but reading Fourier's explanation made me think again about magnetism beyond the finer science of particles.

Maybe someone can explain why iron files show this magnetism field? For blondes? :cool: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,174 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Jacob Rhys Moggy 🙀

I have my coat already...

I didn't realise that cats liked shortbread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Carry wrote: »
    I was fascinated how iron filings are rearranged around a magnet as in the picture above. It was explained that atoms with not completed (?) electron shells react like magnetic dipoles. And then my eyes glazed over and I didn't understand anything anymore.

Raking my mind back to some undergrad chemistry and I think I can give a rudimentary explanation to this bit at least :o

Consider a "not completed electron shell" (halogen) atom e.g. fluorine - it has 7 electrons in its outer shell, and so "wants" to gain an 8th to satisfy the octet rule and thereby gain stability.
    The fluorine might covalently bond with an available electron on a carbon atom say. Given electrons carry a negative charge, fluorine (7 electrons) is more electronegative relative to the carbon (4 e) and so the negative charge is more concentrated around the fluorine atom.
    This gives rise to a degree of polarity in this carbon-fluorine bond with the fluorine end being negative and the much electron poorer carbon end comprising the positive end - this is a dipole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

One theory is that it is made of dehydrated milk chocolate. It slowly hardens,until the sugar burns, rather than melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Carry wrote: »
    This is an interesting topic because in relation to magnetism I always remember the electric field lines I've learned about at school. Especially Ferromagnetism.

csm_20111209_Dipol_Photodisc_2da93444ac.jpg

It's probably standard physics but reading Fourier's explanation made me think again about magnetism beyond the finer science of particles.

Maybe someone can explain why iron files show this magnetism field? For blondes? :cool: :pac:

All matter that accelerates induces a magnetic field. Just by you sitting still the atoms in your body are accelerating (jiggling) and the electric field from your atoms interacting with the induced magnetic field induces an EM wave which propogates at C through space in all directions and is in the infrared region. As such, we are always radiating, we just can't see it at a macro level. If I jumped up then the atoms in my clothes get accelerated and off go more EM waves etc etc.

The magnetic field induced by me however is just so small that it's irrelevant at the macro physical level. Some matter has enough packed density that the individual magnetic fields of it's jiggling atoms are exponentially compounded upon each other. A bar magnet is an example of this and is made of Iron (Fe) so it's a ferromagnet. The density of the iron atoms is thus strong enough that it creates a permanent magnetic field and this becomes noticeable to our macro level i.e. we can interact with the field with other matter. This is a vector field (with direction and magnitude) invisible to our eyes. Take one particular magnetic field line (picture it as a stream of flowing water) and from the originating north pole of the bar this 'water' line acts as if from a faucet or a hose, this water line is what creates the vector field line, it will have a particular direction and strength but must always go down a sink. Positive harge being faucet like and negative charges sink like when thinking about the vector field lines.

The water line is permanently suspended in 'space' and the water goes down a sink (terminates). This is the South pole of the magnet. When we sprinkle minute iron filings around the bar magnet we can see the flux (i.e. how much 'water' might be flowing at a particular point in space). The iron atoms in the filings interact with the magnetic field lines, the outer electrons which are charged thus have their own micro magnetic field and when this interacts with the macro magnetic field of the bar it allows us to visualize the permanent magnetic field of that particular bar magnet i.e. the iron is prohibited from occupying the 'space' the stream of water (magnetic vector) of the bar magnet.

That's my uneducated thinking about it. As Wolfgang Pauli might have put it "..this isn't even wrong" :)

If you look at a vector field then arrows going away from a point is a hose and any arrow going towards a particular point is a sink. The size/length of the arrow indicates the flux (the volume) in the vector field i.e. how much 'water' is flowing through chosen point(s) in space (e.g. the red circle below)

lecture-example.svg

467419.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Lucy8080 wrote:

Well, the ad's were fairly hot ;) so they had to make sure the Flake wouldn't melt.

The old saying was 'come on, are we really supposed to believe she's eating a Flake'. :):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement