Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A lions roar (114 decibels) can be heard from five miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

mzungu wrote: »

So does my American neighbour's hollering ....:rolleyes:

sorry, was off topic, but his voice is a pet peeve of mine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

TomSweeney wrote: »
    So here's the planets in comparison to the Sun ...

right, so we've seen the planets compared to the sun, here's the planets, to scale, between the earth and moon to scale, (Pluto would fit in as well)

CLqdeKf.jpg
    And Sun v Aldebaran, and Aldebaran is not even that big ...

the Sun vs Aldebaran vs Betelgeuse vs VV Cephei, ... the Sun is miniscule in comparison,

vv_cephei.png

If VV Cephei was placed where the Sun is, it would engulf all the inner planets, the asteroid belt, and Jupiter. Saturn would be safe though...

basically, things in space are massive, but theres an awful lot of 'space' in space.

also, this black-hole is ****in' unimaginably big
    TomSweeney wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

New Home wrote: »

Lads, do not mess with wet hair: wet hair kills.

Well some viruses proliferate at temperatures slightly lower than body temperature, so if you get cold, the virus can reproduce better and be more likely to make you sick. The rhinovirus (common cold) is a typical example.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Well some viruses proliferate at temperatures slightly lower than body temperature, so if you get cold, the virus can reproduce better and be more likely to make you sick. The rhinovirus (common cold) is a typical example.

My theory is that since cold causes vasoconstriction, less blood is brought to the area and therefore fewer white cells, so your immune system can't fight as well whatever it is that's attacking it. But then again, I got my M.D. with Dr. Nick Riviera, sssssoooo.... :p

• Advertisement

My theory is that since cold causes vasoconstriction, less blood is brought to the area and therefore fewer white cells, so your immune system can't fight as well whatever it is that's attacking it. But then again, I got my Master of Medicine with Dr. Nick Riviera, sssssoooo.... :p

I'd say the two things are a slam dunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Mammys know best.

Eat your dinner, there are starving children in Somalia

If there is a famine or disaster somewhere the Mammy will know of it. Very well informed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The UK Foreign Office has an official cat, named Palmerston. Job title is Chief Mouser. He has 73,000 Twitter followers.
    https://twitter.com/DiploMog
    DtPsiRYW0AAND96.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Eat your dinner, there are starving children in Somalia

If there is a famine or disaster somewhere in the Ireland the Mammy will know of it. Very well informed

Biafera and other exotic locations just rolled off the tongues of the Irish mammy, without a clue where in the world the places were.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Still, they weren't wrong.

• Advertisement

mzungu wrote: »

I can't remember if it's been mentioned before, but, apparently, the lion's roar from the MGM intro is actually a tiger's, because the lion's was deemed not to be loud enough.

EDIT: Actually, that only started with one specific lion in the 80s, and the roar was made up of different bits of tiger roars.

Speaking of animal sounds in films, most people thinking about frogs will imagine the sound "ribbit". But this sound is only made by a small number of species specific to California. The reason we know the sound so well is because a recording of the male California Baja tree frog was used in many many films as a frog sound effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Speaking of animal sounds in films, most people thinking about frogs will imagine the sound "ribbit". But this sound is only made by a small number of species specific to California. The reason we know the sound so well is because a recording of the male California Baja tree frog was used in many many films as a frog sound effect.

I always wondered why in German the noise a frog makes is "quack quack" since ribbit is more suitable. Now that I know that ribbit only applies to a small number of species in California it makes more sense!

I find it very interesting that the way we describe animals sounds are different in different languages. Or even how we say "ouch" is different. Germans say aua and the French say "aie".

Excuse me, but eeeeeveryone knows they make "BUDD!" "WIIISE!" "EEEEERRRRRR!" sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

gozunda wrote: »
    When we were children, the mother always said that we would get Pneumonia / TB if we went out with wet hair ....

;)

Anyone any opinions on raindrops carrying viruses that may actually give credence to the theory that people getting wet to the skin in rainfall and catching a virus after may in fact be all down to our little friends in raindrops?

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    I always wondered why in German the noise a frog makes is "quack quack" since ribbit is more suitable. Now that I know that ribbit only applies to a small number of species in California it makes more sense!

I find it very interesting that the way we describe animals sounds are different in different languages. Or even how we say "ouch" is different. Germans say aua and the French say "aie".

I find funny how a sneeze sounds in different languages. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Anyone any opinions on raindrops carrying viruses that may actually give credence to the theory that people getting wet to the skin in rainfall and catching a virus after may in fact be all down to our little friends in raindrops?

Not at all valid. Viruses thrive in cold conditions. You carry these viruses most of the time but if the body gets chilled the immune system can be affected. It's a long winded explanation but suffice to say, getting caught in the rain will not cause a cold or flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Was the original MGM lion not from Dublin Zoo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I don't buy that. Surely the rain would be too cold and kill the virus? I'd say it's more the lower temperature weakens the immune system, making it easier for a virus you may have come into contact with to take hold.

Water John wrote: »
    Was the original MGM lion not from Dublin Zoo?

Yes, he was born in Dublin Zoo in 1919. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Chickens have a higher body temperature 42°C than humans which provides a defence against things like salmonella.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not at all valid. Viruses thrive in cold conditions. You carry these viruses most of the time but if the body gets chilled the immune system can be affected. It's a long winded explanation but suffice to say, getting caught in the rain will not cause a cold or flu.
    I wouldn't right it off.

Maybe I should have posted that it's a valid theory that's being discussed atm and our understanding of it is pretty poor.

The theory behind it is that you get a light shower of rain on soil and the petrichor smells given off are actually bacteria and viruses kicked up by the falling rain. The viruses and bacteria through the movement of air get sucked up to 8,000 to 10,000 feet where they can be blown ..anywhere really.
    https://www.passporthealthusa.com/2018/05/can-a-virus-spread-via-the-rain/

Viruses and bacteria are essential for life but they have been shown to fall in rainfall even by Antony van Leeuwenhoek on the 26th of May 1676.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I can't remember if it's been mentioned before, but, apparently, the lion's roar from the MGM intro is actually a tiger's, because the lion's was deemed not to be loud enough.

EDIT: Actually, that only started with one specific lion in the 80s, and the roar was made up of different bits of tiger roars.

This guy auditioned but was deemed unsuitable
    {Lion} Hello!!!! good morning!!! - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A Duck’s feet don’t freeze when walking on ice due to the way the veins and arteries in their feet are arranged.

Ducks, as well as many other birds, have a counter-current heat exchange system between the arteries and veins in their legs. Warm arterial blood flowing to the feet passes close to cold venous blood returning from the feet. The arterial blood warms up the venous blood, dropping in temperature as it does so. This means that the blood that flows through the feet is relatively cool. This keeps the feet supplied with just enough blood to provide tissues with food and oxygen, and just warm enough to avoid frostbite. But by limiting the temperature difference between the feet and the ice, heat loss is greatly reduced.

042210_1418_WhyDontDuck21.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    The UK Foreign Office has an official cat, named Palmerston. Job title is Chief Mouser. He has 73,000 Twitter followers.
    In October 2017, Palmerston "appointed" his first overseas envoys. Lawrence of Abdoun. For the British Embassy in Amman

Meanwhile the Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office is a role that has existed since 1515. The Mouser is a civil servant so the Mouser stays in No 10 Downing Street after a Prime Minister leaves. Larry doesn't always get on with Palmerston.

So, I take it this is Larry, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

11 Downing St has a cat too https://twitter.com/HMTreasuryCat
    C6ZEaseXQAAA3OL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So, I take it this is Larry, then?

And an example of the aforementioned conflict between key members of the feline cabinet. (at 30 seconds)

Think Laura Keunssberg tweeted some similar interactions from outside #10 in the last week or so which was very apt given what was going on inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Like so many other compilations, Tom Dunne's 30 Best Irish Hits manages to use the "wrong" mix of Hot House Flowers' Don't Go - included is the People album version. Compiled by a man who really should know better than to make a basic error like that.

On the other hand, Now That's What I Call Music 12 gets it right and features the correct single mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Like so many other compilations, Tom Dunne's 30 Best Irish Hits manages to use the "wrong" mix of Hot House Flowers' Don't Go - included is the People album version. Compiled by a man who really should know better than to make a basic error like that.

On the other hand, Now That's What I Call Music 12 gets it right and features the correct single mix.

He's very responsive to tweets or messages to his show. I'd be surprised if you asked him to explain that he wouldn't either acknowledge the mistake or explain the reasoning behind it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement