Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

50% of Canada is A.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

America was names after Amerigo.

But they wanted it to end in A Cos the other continents did (cept europe)

Sounds mad

Next time you see a map of the world. Have a look at Greenland.

Then compare it's size to Africa.

Most maps we have , Greenland will be about 1/3 of the size of Africa.

Area of Greenland in reality 2.1m square kilometres

Area of Africa in reality ...over 30m sq. Kilometres.

Africa should be roughly 15 times the size on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

^^ Obvious limitations of 3D world's equivalent displayed on 2D surface. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Next time you see a map of the world. Have a look at Greenland.

Then compare it's size to Africa.

Most maps we have , Greenland will be about 1/3 of the size of Africa.

Area of Greenland in reality 2.1m square kilometres

Area of Africa in reality ...over 30m sq. Kilometres.

Africa should be roughly 15 times the size on the map

map_projections.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The worlds first ever plane with no moving parts has recently completed a 60m test flight. It's not exactly a 747, it weighs under 3kg! but still, powered flight with no moving parts is no small feat.
    It uses a technology called ionic wind - basically electrically charged particles are generated and as they are pulled towards an oppositely charged wing they push the air over it and provide lift in the same way as air passing over the 747's does.
    The wright brothers first flight was a mere 37m

The worlds first ever plane with no moving parts has recently completed a 60m test flight. It's not exactly a 747, it weighs under 3kg! but still, powered flight with no moving parts is a no small feat.
    It uses a technology called ionic wind - basically electrically charged particles are generated and as they are pulled towards an oppositely charged wing they push the air over it and provide lift in the same way as air passing over a the 747's does.
    The wright brothers first flight was a mere 37m
    Actually, it used a technology called a bungee cord. You could propel a rock in much the same way. Just MIT self-promotional bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Sir John Lade was the first man to appear in public wearing long trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

joujoujou wrote: »
    ^^ Obvious limitations of 3D world's equivalent displayed on 2D surface. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection

Its proof of a flat earth, wake up sheeple!

Both Charles Darwin and Einstein got married to a first cousin.

Einstein's wife was so related she was both his first cousin and second cousin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Einstein taking his own theory of relativity very seriously then.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Carry wrote: »
    Maybe someone can explain why iron files show this magnetism field? For blondes? :cool: :pac:
    Well I'll try. Pack as much in as possible.

Electric and Magnetic Fields:
    Electric and Magnetic fields are just two facets/faces of the Electromagnetic field. As I said above, depending on your speed a given Electromagnetic field can appear as an Electric field, a Magnetic Field or sometimes you'll see two fields, one Electric and one Magnetic. However there is always only one field, it just appears different to different observers. An electromagnetic field can either be generated and centered on a piece of matter or just moving freely on its own. If moving freely on its own, it's what we call light. If attached to matter, it behaves differently depending on the matter that generates it, i.e. how much charge the matter has, in what direction and how fast the matter is moving.

So keeping that in mind the main difference between an electric field and a magnetic field is how they move nearby objects that are electrically charged. On a basic level, an electric field will either pull them toward a point or push them away from a point. By convention we use what they do to a positive charge when we draw them:
    BZAuse.jpg
    So the above image just shows that the electric field from a positive charge will push away other positive charges and the field of a negative charge will pull in positive charges. These are the most basic type of electric field and are called monopole fields.

The field made by a positive and negative charge will look like this:
    5Df1bF.jpg

So positive charges will be pushed away from the big positive charge on the left and pulled toward the negative charge on the right. This type of electric field is called a dipole field.

Magnetic fields are similar except:
    1. We say North and South for their two charges, not positive and negative. Just like you have to be electrically (i.e. positive or negative) charged to respond to an electric field, you have to be magnetically charged to respond to a magnetic field. For magnets we usually say "moment", not charge.
    2. They can't have monopole fields, because North and South always occur in pairs*. You never get North on its own like you get Positive charge on its own, it's always North and South. We know why this is, but I can't think how to explain it briefly enough to be tolerable.
    Magnetic dipoles look just like Electric dipoles above:
    rn2QDv.jpg

Things at our scale are rarely magnetically charged because the Norths and Souths of our atoms don't line up correctly and cancel each other out. Electric charge is much more common at our scale because a positive charge can be created without there necessarily being a negative charge created with it, so they tend not to cancel as easily.

An Iron filing simply has all of its atoms aligned so that the North and Souths don't cancel and so the filing as a whole has a magnetic moment and can respond to the field of a magnet nearby. The shape traced out by the filings is just the dipole field shape in the image above.

Spin and Magnets:
    So what makes the North and South charges in an atom?

First of all charges that are rotating in an orbit can make a North and South. If you think of the Nucleus like the Sun and an electron like the Earth:
    QniOvy.jpg
    Then the electron acts like the North on one end of its orbit and then swings down to act like the South on the other end.

The electron is also rotating in another way, not to do with spinning around the nucleus, but more like rotating on its axis, like how the Earth rotates over the course of a day. This also makes a North and South, as when it faces one way it's North and then it spins round to face the other way and it's South.

However this is only a picture for the ease of the human mind. Whatever is really going on, the electron doesn't really spin for the reasons I mentioned in the last post, it's just that you can pretend it does for most purposes.

There are various theories as to what is going on and we have narrowed them down to only a few possibilities, but they are all very very weird. I think I haven't gone too weird in this post so if you don't want your head wrecked, I'd stop here.

For example some like Bohr, Heisenberg and Pauli thought that what is actually going on is incomprehensible and will never be understood scientifically or mathematically. It lies outside the reach of maths [This is the one I'd bet on, if I were to guess].

Others think the thing spinning isn't the electron, but a "thing" (I don't know how to describe it in English) outside of our universe, literally outside of space and time, that the electron responds to.

Others think the spinning results from the electron communicating with its future self.

And these are the mainstream opinions. Some ideas are even stranger

*Wormholes, if they exist, can make magnetic monopoles, i.e. they can be just North. This would be one way of detecting them. Also wormholes emit massive amounts of radiation. So the team in Stargate SG-1 would actually be flayed alive by the enormous North magnetic charge of the wormhole mouth ripping their atoms out of their bodies, if not melted by gamma radiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Somebody else was watching Only Connect then.

Somebody else was watching Only Connect then.

first time watching it. very difficult show. One guy was an absolute freak. Amazing ability to make the connections.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Cruise ships have morgues on board.

Roughly about 200 people due every year on cruises so most large ships will have morgues with capacity for up to 10 bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭joeguevara

mzungu wrote: »
    Cruise ships have morgues on board.

Roughly about 200 people due every year on cruises so most large ships will have morgues with capacity for up to 10 bodies.

Absolutely love this. If I was going on a cruise I would make it known to my traveling party as well as the captain that I want to be buried at sea. How cool would it be for 1000s of passengers standing to attention singing amazing grace as I was jettisoned into the deep blue sea followed by a 21 gun salute. Now that is rock and roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

joeguevara wrote: »
    Absolutely love this. If I was going on a cruise I would make it known to my traveling party as well as the captain that I want to be buried at sea. How cool would it be for 1000s of passengers standing to attention singing amazing grace as I was jettisoned into the deep blue sea followed by a 21 gun salute. Now that is rock and roll.

.... and with it usually being all inclusive drinks on a cruise, all the travellers can throw you the biggest wake ever.

Party like it's 1999, what a way to send you off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Then get sucked into the propeller and spray the onlookers with a red mist.

Ipso wrote: »
    Then get sucked into the propeller and spray the onlookers with a red mist.

Have thought about that and would have indicated I wanted to be jettisoned which hopefully would mean that I was far enough away from propellers. Also when I think cruise ships I think 30 story floating hotels and would want to be some explosion of body parts to reach that. But to mitigate this perhaps maid of the most style plasticmacs would protect my funeral guests. Even more rock and roll than my original thoughts.

NIMAN wrote: »
    .... and with it usually being all inclusive drinks on a cruise, all the travellers can throw you the biggest wake ever.

Party like it's 1999, what a way to send you off

Well this gets ducking better. I would direct that each guest would have to drink at least 10 scotch’s and play bingo before the ceremony. Perhaps a karaoke contest after finishing up with an all out titanic themed dancing night. This would be the most epic send off ever and beats most modern funerals hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Be careful what cruise ship you choose, if they misinterpret your wishes you may end up with a pair of concrete shoes and you could be sent off "to sleep with the fishes" instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Fourier wrote: »
    Well I'll try. Pack as much in as possible.
    (...)

Thank you Fourier, this is fantastic! You would make a brilliant teacher, or maybe you are.

It get's really interesting with your "spoilers", the different theories. It leads into philosophical realms. But I think all sciences, or at least their interpretations by humans, touch philosophy.

I now have an incentive to read finally that book that is sitting on my bedside table for ages: "Reality is not what it seems - The Journey to Quantum Gravity" by Carlo Rovelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

first time watching it. very difficult show. One guy was an absolute freak. Amazing ability to make the connections.

Best quiz show tv. Bear in mind that this was an early round. The questions get a LOT harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

joeguevara wrote:

Rock and roll ?? Where's the TV through the window, the coke, the hookers :)

Pretty sure the likes of Aviva stadium and Croke Park if they don't have a morgue as such have at least a dedicated cold room on stand by.

Carry wrote: »
    I now have an incentive to read finally that book that is sitting on my bedside table for ages: "Reality is not what it seems - The Journey to Quantum Gravity" by Carlo Rovelli.
    I read his 7 Brief Lessons on Physics recently. The lad can write.

mikhail wrote: »
    I read his 7 Brief Lessons on Physics recently. The lad can write.
    7 Brief Lessons is a bit odd. Rovelli presents points as true (such as particles popping in and out of existence) that he himself knows aren't true as he explicitly says so in his own scientific papers. He also talks about how the world is made of particles and fields obeying objective laws, even though his personal explanation/interpretation of QM (see here) is explicitly about there being no objective laws or even properties and the idea of things being made out of particles is impossible in light of what we know now (due to results like Haag's theorem and Malament's theorem), which again Rovelli knows.

"Reality is not what it seems" is quite good, especially the sections on the philosophy and history of physics, though the scientific sections have similar errors to 7 brief lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

All except our Hydrogen atoms. Humans are about 10% Hydrogen by mass, and Hydrogen has been around since the Big Bang, much longer than the heavier elements made later in stars and supernovas.
    ~ 380,000 years after the Big Bang roughly ...

before then it was too hot for any elements, just a soup of protons,netrons and electrons ... it was only after 380K years that it cooled suffienctly for H to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Fourier wrote: »
    the idea of things being made out of particles is impossible in light of what we know now (due to results like Haag's theorem and Malament's theorem)

Jaysus Fourier, you've lost me again!:confused:

What do you mean things aren't made of particles? What are they made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Luka Modric won the Ballon d'Or.

• Advertisement

What do you mean things aren't made of particles?
    Basically although particles are a useful way to talk about the results of some experiments (not all), they aren't really what's present. There are theorems (Haag's and Malament's) that show that the particle picture is only useful in certain situations.
    What are they made of?
    Nobody knows, there is currently serious disagreement. Again I leave the head wrecking stuff in spoilers.
    This all relates to how quantum mechanics is not (at least yet) able to explain how our large scale world arises. The theory sort of assumes that there is a realm where objects that don't act quantum mechanically live (our classical world).

So many people think the actual "stuff" just gets forced into concepts that make sense in our macroworld when we observe it. Since many pieces of equipment are designed to detect particles, that's what they detect, but it isn't what's actually there.

As for what is actually there, the old Copenhagen idea is that we cannot know, or at least we can only know conceptually, but we'll never be able to write down a mathematical theory about it.

There are other ideas, but they're no less strange. Rovelli takes the idea in the first spoiler paragraph further and says everything is just "made" of the concepts that make sense to whoever is looking. So to one person I'm made of particles, to another with different equipment I'm made of fields, to others something else.

Another major line of thought says the world isn't made of anything. Thinking everything breaks down into basic fundamental pieces when you go low enough is just wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement