Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Farm, Leopardstown, Dublin 18

Options

Comments

^ Not even bricks anymore, they're timber frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

At near 600k its not easy access to credit driving price increases.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

At near 600k its not easy access to credit driving price increases.

It could be easy access to credit driving up the prices of 3 bed properties, which is increasing the equity for current owners of 3 bed properties (by a lot if they bought at the right time) and enabling them to spend 600k on a 4 bed.

Or I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

awec wrote: »
    It could be easy access to credit driving up the prices of 3 bed properties, which is increasing the equity for current owners of 3 bed properties (by a lot if they bought at the right time) and enabling them to spend 600k on a 4 bed.

Or I could be wrong.

realistically dublin 18

2 professionals on 65k a year , 130k household income , with an exemption up to 4 times and a 50k deposit each mixing inheritance, a gift from mummy and daddoy and savings, not that far out of reach for a lot of multi generational middle class families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I would say Clay Farm is borderline "good" value (if anything is good value in the current market) compared to the overall market in South/East Dublin, and that's really only if you work in the city and the Luas line is of value to you. Another €30k on top of the current prices though I think would tip them into bad value territory, given they're half way down the Ballyogan Road, and on the "industrial" side of it.

Yes it's stupid money. Half a million for a 100 sq ft house that is neither near the sea, the mountains, nor particularly near the city. But if you're in the market, and you want to buy, you'll be comparing these houses to other similar size houses in Leopardstown Valley, Dundrum, Ballinteer etc. And compared to those second houses on the market, Clay Farm is maybe €20k cheaper, but only as I said because the location isn't as good as Dundrum etc. If you're comparing Clay Farm to similar size houses along the Dart line, well you'd have to go out to Bray or out to Howth Junction/Bayside before you would find similar value, and those houses would be at least a 15/20 minute walk to the train station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Haidee_Hammond

JDD wrote: »
    I would say Clay Farm is borderline "good" value (if anything is good value in the current market) compared to the overall market in South/East Dublin, and that's really only if you work in the city and the Luas line is of value to you. Another €30k on top of the current prices though I think would tip them into bad value territory, given they're half way down the Ballyogan Road, and on the "industrial" side of it.

Yes it's stupid money. Half a million for a 100 sq ft house that is neither near the sea, the mountains, nor particularly near the city. But if you're in the market, and you want to buy, you'll be comparing these houses to other similar size houses in Leopardstown Valley, Dundrum, Ballinteer etc. And compared to those second houses on the market, Clay Farm is maybe €20k cheaper, but only as I said because the location isn't as good as Dundrum etc. If you're comparing Clay Farm to similar size houses along the Dart line, well you'd have to go out to Bray or out to Howth Junction/Bayside before you would find similar value, and those houses would be at least a 15/20 minute walk to the train station.

The issue with second hand houses (there is pretty much nothing new in the south luas line, not anything cheap on the red line anywhere close by), is that the asking price for anything decent or close to luas (or dart for that matter) is not the selling price (houses have gone up after the bidding, but what's the worse, in many cases the sellers wouldn't even sell for the starting price! They just aim lower so people don't get scared and then hope for X more after bidding), and many of then are in need for repairs (which if you are DIY or connected, cool, but I have been given very high quotes for what needed to be done), plus the lack of HTB for old houses, and then the value of those houses are not as good as I thought them to be when I started looking. Surely the market has gone crazy, but it won't calm down any time soon, and with the rent prices, you are quite pushed to look for something...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SouthKnight

There are some new houses in south part of Carrickmines, glenamuck road. I drove by those houses once. They looks really nice. The place is kind of middle of nowhere to me. But houses there are expensive, 700k+ I remember.

Well that's probably Brambledown. Very high end houses hence the price but I agree the location is not great for the price. The other houses on Glenamuck Road are Glenside. Very similar to Clay Farm, probably a bit nicer looking. But 15/20 minute walk to the Luas, and no supermarket or even corner shop within walking distance. If you don't have access to a car all of the time, you'd have to think twice about Glenside.

Well that's probably Brambledown. Very high end houses hence the price but I agree the location is not great for the price. The other houses on Glenamuck Road are Glenside. Very similar to Clay Farm, probably a bit nicer looking. But 15/20 minute walk to the Luas, and no supermarket or even corner shop within walking distance. If you don't have access to a car all of the time, you'd have to think twice about Glenside.

They're also smaller. The third bedroom in Glenside is in the attic which is already converted, not the case in Clay Farm.

The houses themselves and the development itself looks much nicer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Well that's probably Brambledown. Very high end houses hence the price but I agree the location is not great for the price.

Only 1 house sold in Brambledown. They can’t sell them due to proximity to halting site (less than 100 meters).

• Advertisement

Only 1 house sold in Brambledown. They can’t sell them due to proximity to halting site (less than 100 meters).

Wow, you can understand that if you were to be paying out that sort of money.

Could anyone this for me? I'm looking at the property price register. there are eight properties now listed with the Clay Farm address, presumably those properties that we sold in September and closed just before Christmas. Four out of the eight are listed with prices below €470k. I thought the smallest house started at €470k? Were there apartments sold in Phase 1 as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭REFLINE1

Wow, you can understand that if you were to be paying out that sort of money.

Could anyone this for me? I'm looking at the property price register. there are eight properties now listed with the Clay Farm address, presumably those properties that we sold in September and closed just before Christmas. Four out of the eight are listed with prices below €470k. I thought the smallest house started at €470k? Were there apartments sold in Phase 1 as well?

PPR doesnt include vat for new builds

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    PPR doesnt include vat for new builds

Ahhh thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

Hey folks

Was just wondering whether there was good gyms/classes nearby clay farm that you would recommend?

Also what schools would be in the catchment area??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

The irish school on Ballyogan next to gym is closest primary school with Holy trinity in the Gallops a close 2nd. I live in the gallops and my 2 girls go to Holy Trinity. I believe it is a very good school. Other than that there is an educate together in Stepaside and St Marys on Lambs cross.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hey folks

Was just wondering whether there was good gyms/classes nearby clay farm that you would recommend?

Also what schools would be in the catchment area??

Thanks

There's a gym with classes just up the road (opposite side of road) that is opposite the Irish school and temporary Stepaside Educate together (moving to Belarmine later this year).

The gym is supposed to be converted to a library with a new gym/swimming pool being built (all council run).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

The pool there is on the wait and see, according to certain "powers that be" If Glenalbyn reopens, the one at Samuel Beckett centre wont go ahead, and vice versa. so it's a waiting game.
    Westwood gym is over the M50 in leopardstown Racecourse, I think there's a pedestrian way by Holy trinity school to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

selous wrote: »
    The pool there is on the wait and see, according to certain "powers that be" If Glenalbyn reopens, the one at Samuel Beckett centre wont go ahead, and vice versa. so it's a waiting game.
    Westwood gym is over the M50 in leopardstown Racecourse, I think there's a pedestrian way by Holy trinity school to it.

You cant walk that way unless you jump over an 8ft fence

Ben Dunne in Cherrywood is the best bang for your buck if you drive in terms of gyms in the area.

• Advertisement

An Bórd Pleanála has refused planning permission for a major housing development in south Dublin, which would have seen the construction of 927 residential units.

Developer Michael Cotter’s firm Viscount Securities has submitted plans for a total of 365 houses and 562 apartments at Clay Farm in Leopardstown under the Government’s new “fast-track” planning system.
    However, Bórd Pleanála said the applicant had not provided adequate information in relation to storm water management in the area, which is prone to flooding.

The decision to refuse was decided by a casting vote from the board’s chairperson.
    In its ruling, the Board said “considerable uncertainties regarding the issue of drainage across the entire site remained, sufficient to preclude these options”.

Viscount Securities has submitted plans for the site under the Government’s Strategic Housing Development system which allows developers bypass local-authority planning processes for developments of more than 100 homes, or blocks of 200 student bedspaces.

The system was brought in last year to address the current housing crisis.
    Viscount’s proposal was the largest residential housing development awaiting planning approval under the system.

A €300 million on-campus accommodation complex at University College Dublin (UCD) was the first development to be formally approved under the new system last week. The university was granted permission for the development, comprising six multistorey blocks with 2,178 bedspaces, in just over three months.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/major-housing-development-in-south-dublin-refused-planning-permission-1.3357255

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

So what about the houses that have been built and sold already?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

So what about the houses that have been built and sold already?

Is there a flood risk around the ones already built?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Is there a flood risk around the ones already built?

The area for for this development runs right by the Ballyogan stream so I'd assume so.
    Maybe the developers just need to increase drainage and re-apply.

The first set of houses went through the standard planning process so you would imagine they would have had the drainage requirements met.

awec wrote: »
    The first set of houses went through the standard planning process so you would imagine they would have had the drainage requirements met.

Putting a estate of that size in creates drainage problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

All along that side of the road before the Luas line and road widening there were gullys and ditches in behind the hedges that used to take all the water from the road, when the heavy rain came you could see the fields flooded but the road was rarely flooded, after the road was widened, the road flooded right at the entrance there and around the entrance to Glenbourne estate. remedial works were done immediately, what was done I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Asalbeag

Hi
    For anyone that has signed contracts who have you followed up with regarding snagging / closing dates etc? Savills or Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 emmad

Hi all, we have just signed contracts too and so thanks for all the useful info! We have same question about snagging/closing :)

Also if you moved in already -
    - Were you happy with quality of appliances installed? (Were they the same as the showhouse)
    - was the staircase painted?

Also I just read the Phase 1 planning permission which was granted back in 2015 and it def went through the full planning process and so all flooding and drainage requirements will have to be met.

Thanks all! Happy to share info as we learn more too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 shanedunne2000

Asalbeag wrote: »
    Hi
    For anyone that has signed contracts who have you followed up with regarding snagging / closing dates etc? Savills or Park?

We snagged today, Jan 15. Park should be able to give you a date for snagging.

Advertisement