Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Farm, Leopardstown, Dublin 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

That's what I was told by people working in power plant industry and they warned me not to follow their paths even for good money there, as you pay back with your health (mental mostly).
    Point is if there is dust, smoke or noise for example, people are aware of dangerous conditions straight away, while with electromagnetic field it is easy to disregard it as you can't see or smell anything.

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The power station wouldn't bother me too much so long as I wasn't right beside it.

The parking, the traffic and the inevitable luas problems would be top of my list of issues. I also think the houses are seriously fugly but that's just personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 eternal31

The thing about power station is that the communication mast and pylons are eyesore. Imagine when you get up in a beautiful morning, you walk out of the door and see those things and hear buzzing sound. People will get used to it I guess.

btw, guys, I never lived in a mid-terraced house before. Will a lack of side access to back garden make huge differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 commanjoe

Yeah I also thought same- my original comfort was they wouldn't get planning permission if unsafe but then it was fast tracked so not the same! I also agree re comment for final phase much further up on stepaside side probably grand - who knows may end up back looking at them yet and at least comfortable distance away from ESB substation.

They were viewings again this weekend- they'll struggle to sell houses beside ESB substation which have a 4 floor apartment block going up in front of them - maybe there sold by now but they were the leftovers when we were there.

Just to confirm that none of these houses went through fast track planning. That is a new incentive and the part of Clay Farm that is in that process is still going through review. Building on those houses in not likely to start until 2018 according to the newspapers. The current houses which are built/being built went through the traditional planning process with DLRCOCO with appeals to An Bord Pleanala. All available free online if you do your research properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

eternal31 wrote: »
    The thing about power station is that the communication mast and pylons are eyesore. Imagine when you get up in a beautiful morning, you walk out of the door and see those things and hear buzzing sound. People will get used to it I guess.

btw, guys, I never lived in a mid-terraced house before. Will a lack of side access to back garden make huge differences?

Just like you can get use to regular beatings.

Do you really want to make the biggest purchase of your life, to live next to this sh1t? No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Advantages are increased security and less heat loss.

Disadvantages - none really. Put down wooden or tiled floors on ground floor so when you bring the bike through on a wet day you can wipe up any mess made. I assume these houses have bin storage out the front? I probably shouldn't assume that, you might.be expected to use the recycling plant right beside you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

commanjoe wrote: »
    Just to confirm that none of these houses went through fast track planning. That is a new incentive and the part of Clay Farm that is in that process is still going through review. Building on those houses in not likely to start until 2018 according to the newspapers. The current houses which are built/being built went through the traditional planning process with DLRCOCO with appeals to An Bord Pleanala. All available free online if you do your research properly.
    So all observations were taken into consideration, gotcha ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aikens96

Hands up - I am currently selling our house in a local area. It is 2002 sq foot, 4 bed and 4 bath. We have recently redecorated and live in a quiet cul-de-sac. Our house is tastefully presented (if I do say so myself). We have parking for 3 cars out front and plenty of parking on the road. Children can play safely as traffic is minimal. Our sale price is less than most new builds on offer. This is a genuine question from a seller trying to compete with new builds in the area - why is nobody considering a 2nd hand home??? Some beautiful properties in established areas. Again a genuine question as very puzzled why everyone appears to be running towards new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Aikens96 wrote: »
    Hands up - I am currently selling our house in a local area. It is 2002 sq foot, 4 bed and 4 bath. We have recently redecorated and live in a quiet cul-de-sac. Our house is tastefully presented (if I do say so myself). We have parking for 3 cars out front and plenty of parking on the road. Children can play safely as traffic is minimal. Our sale price is less than most new builds on offer. This is a genuine question from a seller trying to compete with new builds in the area - why is nobody considering a 2nd hand home??? Some beautiful properties in established areas. Again a genuine question as very puzzled why everyone appears to be running towards new builds.

Lower heating costs , big government grant , no bidding war.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Galwayforliam

Sounds lovely - whereabouts? Deffo not just looking new builds but always nice to move into a brand new home. I've found second hands as Expensive as new builds though and you get into bidding wars. At least with a new build you know what the price is and no messing about so that makes them attractive

• Advertisement

Sounds lovely - whereabouts? Deffo not just looking new builds but always nice to move into a brand new home. I've found second hands as Expensive as new builds though and you get into bidding wars. At least with a new build you know what the price is and no messing about so that makes them attractive

Are you looking for a second-hand house? You queued before the launch time I remember. You canceled your book?

Are you looking for a second-hand house? You queued before the launch time I remember. You canceled your book?

Yep we went back at weekend after paying deposit to browse properly without being under pressure and we just weren't happy with mid terrace as felt too dark and layout wasn't what we were after (tiny sitting room and l shaped kitchen). The substation was in the back of our minds also.

We were happy just to get a house but we weren't enthused about it and it's mad just to buy for the sake of getting a house - want to be excited and delighted at what we get and not get caught up in hysteria of being lucky enough to get to buy a house. I think the market in south dublin is calming and won't be surprised to see these houses stall in price or go back in the next next 6 months - especially the likes of houses with apartments in front of them and houses on the substation side - why settle for that when you can wait for phase 3 or 4 which will be far away from substation and nearer the "nicer side"?

Anyways they were our thoughts in final decision and it's not to take away from anyone that bought there - just the huge mortgage for something we weren't in love with for the next 30 odd years wasn't enough for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Am guessing this is the house in question:

<snip>

We actually looked in your estate at one point during our house search, and it seems very nice, but ended up going for one of the estates just off the top of the Ballyogan Road instead. The main reason? A 120 second walk to the Luas versus a 10-15 minute one. The houses were priced accordingly of course, right beside the Luas obviously means a premium will be included in the price.

It's different if you intend to drive to/from everywhere but in a climate where it rains 100+ days a year, don't underestimate how attractive it is to live immediately adjacent to reliable (at present) public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HannahK

If anyone here received their contract from the developer yet for Clay Farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sherrif

Does anybody know if there will be more than one entrance to Clay Farm from the Ballyogen Road? Will that entrances that's going to be a through road to Stepaside loop back around to another point on the Ballyogen road, and so providing a second entrance to the units that are currently under construction?

Does anybody know where the foot bridge is going from and to?

Hi shanedunne2000, there will be 2 access points to Clayfarm from the Ballyogan Road, the first is the current entrance opposite Glenbourne/Leopardstown Valley. The other entrance will be opposite the Gallops Luas stop. At the moment this entrance is used for access to the Elmfield Apartment development but in time will extend into & beyond Kilgobbin Wood through Lawlesses lands & on towards the lower section of Stepaside Park (which is currently being developed) before looping back through the currently undeveloped section of Clay Farm lands & joining the Ballyogan Road at Leopardstown Valley.
    There will be no though road for vehicular traffic into Stepaside or onto the Enniskerry Rd from this loop road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Docmac

commanjoe wrote: »
    Just to confirm that none of these houses went through fast track planning.

Thank you! Yes the Fast Track law came into force on 23rd June 2017, this thread was started in JANUARY 2017 when building was well underway. So clearly they were not fast tracked. Some people spreading misinformation again, no need!

Clay farm seems ideal for transport into town, huge quality of life improvement if you work in town or EVER want to go there and not drive or pay 500 euro in a taxi. Handy for shops, Dunnes etc across the road. Some haters out there, sorry not everyone wants to live further out on a crappy Dublin Bus Route, but that is what makes the world go round!

Glenside is the next up for battle now, on the Luas (10-15 minute walk, manageable). But god help us when they see the prices Clay Farm went for. No email to be seen from Glenside this evening despite their promises and my regular harassment. Finding it hard to get my partner on board for it due to the probable rainy life walking to and from Luas, and no walkable tesco/supervalu or newsagents. No south facing gardens for 3 beds. Can't have it all kids, we have learned! Will be equally harassing Savills for cancellation news. And if all comes to all, might just pack up and move to Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Grazing17

Docmac wrote: »
    Not sure why people are scaremongering, without the facts. Are any of you physicists?

I have been looking to purchase a new house over the last 6 months, a painful process indeed including Glenside, Clay Farm, Bishops Gate, Waverly, Struan Glen (out of my price range and a bit far out anyway). Clay Farm and Glenside have been pretty much top of my list, location being ideal for the luas (Clay Farm obviously closer but Glenside still walkable). I like both, price range high enough but decent compared to those in Stepaside or in further "south dublin". Bishops gate is a write off it is so impossible to get, and a bit far out for me so i have just about stopped harrassing the developers for news (this house hunting stuff is quite addictive though!).

I visited the building site for clay farm (from the outside) months ago and noticed the ESB tower beside one part of the site - contacted the developers by email. They said and i quote "Park Developments Group have gone through the normal planning procedure to successfully secure the proper planning for the development at Clay Farm. Part of this procedure involved an EIS and Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, Planners were happy with all aspects of the development having gone through the full application in detail." EIS, which i googled, means Environmental Impact Assessment, which has to include human risk apparently.

I was also was in touch with ESB directly about the Pylons behind the phase 2 houses in Glenside (nobody else noticed?) and the substation beside Clay Farm and they indicated no cause for alarm with either (Sent me a booklet and all. Worth a read). And i was told it is a 110 KV station beside Clay Farm and not 220 KV as someone else said.

Everyone should be thorough in the research they do for any home, but stop wasting time scaremongering and do your own research, get the answers you need direct from the sources. I am apparently 5th on the waiting list for a 3 bed in Clay Farm and will be jumping for joy if i get one. If not I will continue to pursue Glenside and will be keeping up my research!

I've been in contact with a prof from an irish university who deals with this area (electromagnetic waves and human health) and there is little to no evidence of a risk to human health. The leukaemia finding was knocked by subsequent studies

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Grazing17

Grazing17 wrote: »
    I've been in contact with a prof from an irish university who deals with this area (electromagnetic waves and human health) and there is little to no evidence of a risk to human health. The leukaemia finding was knocked by subsequent studies

Or I should say there is no evidence from published scientific studies of a risk to human health. No speculation. Just fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Docmac wrote:
    Some people spreading misinformation again, no need!
    Docmac wrote:
    Clay farm seems ideal for transport into town, huge quality of life improvement if you work in town or EVER want to go there and not drive or pay 500 euro in a taxi.

It's around 20-25 euro just in case anyone wants the real facts :-) .

Dearg81 wrote: »
    It's around 20-25 euro just in case anyone wants the real facts :-) .

Point taken ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Shell_17

HannahK wrote: »
    If anyone here received their contract from the developer yet for Clay Farm?

We got word from our solicitors today that they received them- issued on the 3rd of Oct.

Grazing17 wrote: »
    Or I should say there is no evidence from published scientific studies of a risk to human health. No speculation. Just fact.

Good to know thank you. To note, somebody recently pointed out what I was looking at in clay farm (the tall tower) is not an ESB substation as I had been led to believe, but is a mobile phone base station? As with everything in this area, it seems nothing 100% conclusive on these stations except that you will never be short of an excellent phone signal living closeby! From a brief search, i can see some people don't tend to like them...

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/three-ireland-ordered-to-remove-dublin-phone-mast-1.2654020%3Fmode=amp

And some questions over damage to trees...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27552133/
    'Statistical analysis demonstrated that electromagnetic radiation from mobile phone masts is harmful for trees. These results are consistent with the fact that damage afflicted on trees by mobile phone towers usually start on one side, extending to the whole tree over time'

But nothing solid re human health to date as far as I can see in my brief search..a positive study outcome below (childhood cancer focus)
    http://www.bmj.com/content/340/bmj.c3077.full

'Conclusions There is no association between risk of early childhood cancers and estimates of the mother’s exposure to mobile phone base stations during pregnancy.'

Obviously you could read hundreds of studies and find varying conclusions no doubt. Overall lovely development, close to luas - good to digest all the research and be happy in your own decisions, that is what matters.

It is 100% an ESB substation!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There's an ESB substation and a phone tower. The massive tall yoke is the phone tower, then to the left of that is the substation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rhubarb1980

Second phase to be on sale Jan18, mostly end of terrace and semis meaning they will be dearer. Any idea how much for 3 bed?

Second phase to be on sale Jan18, mostly end of terrace and semis meaning they will be dearer. Any idea how much for 3 bed?

is the date for second phase confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rhubarb1980

is the date for second phase confirmed?

Unfortunately nothing conclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Catdog99

Hi all,

We were told the footbridge will run from clay farm through to wingfield and stepaside park.

Just wondering if anyone knows much about the wingfield estate? Initially impressions were good however on the second visit we did notice a lot of rubbish & graffiti around.

Tried for clay farm but all the 3 beds are sold out already.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

Catdog99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We were told the footbridge will run from clay farm through to wingfield and stepaside park.

Just wondering if anyone knows much about the wingfield estate? Initially impressions were good however on the second visit we did notice a lot of rubbish & graffiti around.

Tried for clay farm but all the 3 beds are sold out already.

Thanks in advance!

do you know how much the 3 beds are by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Joey!

Detailed Phase 2 site plans here: http://cfp2.ie

Advertisement