Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed end to Bus Eireann intercity services

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

a

they would have been the main routes before the motor way. the busses would have been passing through the towns where a by-pass didn't exist, so as they would have been passing through they stopped to pick up traffic. licencing and politics didn't allow them to sort out those routes once the motor ways opened. now however, hopefully they will have a free hand and will be able to make these routes competitive and quicker and profitable or more profitable by changing them.

So they were very badly chosen commercial routes and it's reasonable to suggest they should have been axed long ago rather than continue to accumulate massive losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Graham wrote: »
    I'd expect one of the following:

1) a commercial operator will start servicing these routes
    2) a PSO contract will be awarded to subsidise these routes
    3) they will not be able to use the bus

Yeah great options :rolleyes::rolleyes:rolleyes:

Dope

Mod: Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

Why are they 'proposing' to do this?

Have a management meeting and either decide to do it, or don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,000 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So they were very badly chosen commercial routes and it's reasonable to suggest they should have been axed long ago rather than continue to accumulate massive losses.

no . they were the pre-motor way routes and were profitable, so they were the correct routes to choose. however now they aren't as profitable as they were, with some not profitable, so they will be changed.
    Yeah great options :rolleyes

Dope

in fairness a PSO route really is the only option. the expressway continuing to serve them will destroy the expressway service altogether. with a PSO service the places would still have a service and if all set up properly they might be able to connect with an expressway service along the way. the expressway really does need to do what it says on the tin, be an express route

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

no . they were the pre-motor way routes and were profitable, so they were the correct routes to choose. however now they aren't as profitable as they were, with some not profitable, so they will be changed.

I guess you're using 'not as profitable' as a euphemism for catastrophically loss making to the point where they threaten the existence of the company?

So the Expressway routes are being changed into non-existence, got it.

It must have come as quite a shock to BE when those motorways sprung up overnight with absolutely no notice. How many years ago was it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,000 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I guess you're using 'not as profitable' as a euphemism for catastrophically loss making to the point where they threaten the existence of the company?

no . i'm simply recognising that i don't know on an individual per route basis as to what is or isn't profitable, so i'm taking it there are routes that may still be profitable. that would be very obvious to most.
    So the Expressway routes are being changed into non-existence, got it.

no they would be changed to be actual expressway routes i should think. maybe you could contact bus eireann and ask for yourself what their plans are and get back to us?
    It must have come as quite a shock to BE when those motorways sprung up overnight with absolutely no notice. How many years ago was it now?

no, it certainly didn't. it seems that funnily enough they actually tried to apply for new non stop routes and change others but were denied from doing so, something i wasn't aware of, and had simply thought they were simply slow to change. how many routes i don't know.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement