Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

TychoCaine wrote: »
    Not really for a number of reasons, but the main one is a 10s chain is too wide for an 11s cassette and will snag/rub on the next cog inboard.

Thanks! I’ll swap the cassette out so.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Any tips on how to get your tube to fit evenly inside a very tight tyre? Got new tyre a few months back fitted in the bike shop. Got puncture last week when I ploughed into a pot hole at the back of a small group (they never called it but I take full responsibility).

Changed out tube with a lot of difficulty. The tyre was supertight around the rim. End result was a tyre bulge that led to a bumpy ride home.
    So at the weekend I took out the tube again and tried my best to get an even fit with no bumps. Again it was difficult getting tyre back off and on again. Now no matter what I try I cant seem to get the tyre fitting evenly around the rim and it rises slightly in one area no matter how many times I try to smooth out the tube and fit the tyre correctly. Its driving me nuts.

The rim doesn't seem to be damaged in any way. I just want my wheel perfect again. What am I doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Decided to change handlebars on road bike. Any suggestions what to use on parts where Alu stem meets Alu bars and also on stem bolts?

I already have fiber grip (seems more for carbon fittings) and anti-seize (seems more for pedals and drivetrain components), but can easily pick up other stuff if needed.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Canyon recommend Loctite blue threadlock on the stem bolts and a dab of the carbon paste on the face of the stem won't do any harm either.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

EDit wrote: »
    Decided to change handlebars on road bike. Any suggestions what to use on parts where Alu stem meets Alu bars and also on stem bolts?

I already have fiber grip (seems more for carbon fittings) and anti-seize (seems more for pedals and drivetrain components), but can easily pick up other stuff if needed.

Thanks

General purpose/multi purpose grease.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

setanta74 wrote: »
    Any tips on how to get your tube to fit evenly inside a very tight tyre? Got new tyre a few months back fitted in the bike shop. Got puncture last week when I ploughed into a pot hole at the back of a small group (they never called it but I take full responsibility).

Changed out tube with a lot of difficulty. The tyre was supertight around the rim. End result was a tyre bulge that led to a bumpy ride home.
    So at the weekend I took out the tube again and tried my best to get an even fit with no bumps. Again it was difficult getting tyre back off and on again. Now no matter what I try I cant seem to get the tyre fitting evenly around the rim and it rises slightly in one area no matter how many times I try to smooth out the tube and fit the tyre correctly. Its driving me nuts.
    Could you slightly iunflate the tube before pushing it in to place, I found that helps on occasion. the tube could just be faulty though.
    EDit wrote: »

Thanks
    Nothing for the Alu bar meeting stem, maybe a dab of grease on the stem bolts and sin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

try soapy water - it might lubricate the bead enough to allow it to slide into place and seat properly. has worked a couple of times for me.

Any tips on how to get your tube to fit evenly inside a very tight tyre?

Ensure the tube is inflated (just enough to hold its shape) before you fit it. As you pull the tyre on, the air pressure in the tube increases, so deflate the tube bit by bit as you fit the tyre. When you get to the last bit of tyre, the tube should still have enough air in it that it still hold its shape and pull the tyre onto the rim. this ensures the tube is not pinched between the tyre and the wheel rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Thanks folks. I will try a different tube first and then if no joy move onto the soapy water. Already did the partial inflation but didn't try deflating it a bit again so will give them all a go. I know the tube is a cheap Halfords one so maybe its just a dud.

Thanks folks. I will try a different tube first and then if no joy move onto the soapy water. Already did the partial inflation but didn't try deflating it a bit again so will give them all a go. I know the tube is a cheap Halfords one so maybe its just a dud.

Make sure you push the valve up into the tyre too... if you don't the tyre sits on top of the tube and it makes it very difficult to get the last bit of tyre onto the rim. this will also give you the "Bulge" you describe in your OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If the tyre has a steel bead (ie: not a folding tyre), it can end up slightly distorted from using tyre levers to remove it previously (especially if it's a tight fit on the rim) - this can lead to high/low spots.
    If it always happens in the same area of the tyre, remove it from the rim and gently re-shape the bead to fit the rim better.

Other issues can be (as mentioned above) poor seating around the valve, over-inflation of the tube, using too wide a tube for the tyre or even poorly fitted or cheap (too thick) rim tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Adjusting saddle tilt.

Trying to adjust my saddle tilt, I'd like the nose to be slightly tilted downwards. But I can't seem to get it beyond level.

I have included a picture of my seat post, I can't find any videos online that use the same searpost, saddle fitting as mine

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Adjusting saddle tilt.

Trying to adjust my saddle tilt, I'd like the nose to be slightly tilted downwards. But I can't seem to get it beyond level.

I have included a picture of my seat post, I can't find any videos online that use the same searpost, saddle fitting as mine

Possibly groves holding it, make sure it is very loose and you pull up the bottom of the clamp away from the seatpost. It looks like you are moving the top of the clamp but not the bottom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, there's two adjustments - sliding the saddle forwards and backwards inside the clamp, which will have a minor effect on the seat tilt, and as CramCycle mentions, moving the clamp itself - in the photo above, the clamp assembly (to and bottom plate, and bolt) should be able to pivot forward (counter clockwise in that photo), levelling the seat.

yep, there's two adjustments - sliding the saddle forwards and backwards inside the clamp, which will have a minor effect on the seat tilt, and as CramCycle mentions, moving the clamp itself - in the photo above, the clamp assembly (to and bottom plate, and bolt) should be able to pivot forward (counter clockwise in that photo), levelling the seat.

Bottom part of clamp is fixed to seatpost I think. Can't remember seeing a bolt. Well check when I get home later. The tilt is fine out on the road, it's just on the turbo I am having issues

Bottom part of clamp is fixed to seatpost I think. Can't remember seeing a bolt. Well check when I get home later. The tilt is fine out on the road, it's just on the turbo I am having issues

It shouldn't be if it is what I think it is. Loosen the bolts till they are almost about to fall out. You should be able to lift the bottom part of the clamp up. It may need a tap if its not been done in awhile, but looking at that pic, if you can't slide the clamp, then you won't be able to adjust the tilt.

CramCycle wrote: »
    It shouldn't be if it is what I think it is. Loosen the bolts till they are almost about to fall out. You should be able to lift the bottom part of the clamp up. It may need a tap if its not been done in awhile, but looking at that pic, if you can't slide the clamp, then you won't be able to adjust the tilt.

You were correct. Got the saddle sorted, very much appreciated. I won't lie to you, i was losing sleep over it last night...My head was wrecked:eek:

You were correct.
    What is rare is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I seem to be getting less and less distance from KMC chains on my single speed commuter. Changed it again today and was surprised to see it had only lasted 1,000kms. I thought it was bad when I was getting 3-4,000kms per chain.

I would have thought a heavy single speed chain which does not have to move laterally would last much longer (considering I get about 5,000kms out of the 10 speed chains on the other bikes).

The commuter bike has full mudguards and mudflaps fitted all year round, and the chain is lubed regularly (albeit not degreased as often as the normal road chains).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Is the chain-line exactly straight? - otherwise it's like cross-chaining all the time

• Advertisement

Type 17 wrote: »
    Is the chain-line exactly straight? - otherwise it's like cross-chaining all the time
    To the naked eye it appears in a straight line. (The rear wheel has just just reached the end of it's life so perhaps there's a connection?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

To the naked eye it appears in a straight line. (The rear wheel has just just reached the end of it's life so perhaps there's a connection?).

Obviously, it's time for a new bike then ;)

I seem to be getting less and less distance from KMC chains on my single speed commuter. Changed it again today and was surprised to see it had only lasted 1,000kms. I thought it was bad when I was getting 3-4,000kms per chain.

I would have thought a heavy single speed chain which does not have to move laterally would last much longer (considering I get about 5,000kms out of the 10 speed chains on the other bikes).

The commuter bike has full mudguards and mudflaps fitted all year round, and the chain is lubed regularly (albeit not degreased as often as the normal road chains).

Haven't much on my Fixed gear but my last chain lasted a few years of racing and daily commuting and barely looked touched. Think it was KMC. Got north of 20000km on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

What exactly do you mean by less distance?

SS is so cheap you run it into the ground, no pissing about with a chain checker.

I used whipperman chains, both on my flipflop SS and igh (Mtb & CX thing), less then a tenner and lasted 20k plus.

saccades wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean by less distance?
    I thought what I meant was quite obvious - i.e that the chain seems to require changing more frequently than before. It has only done 1,000kms since I last changed it.
    saccades wrote:
    .....SS is so cheap you run it into the ground, no pissing about with a chain checker..
    I'd prefer not to have it snap during a ride or when out of the saddle. Not a pleasant experience, hence the reason I change it when the chain checker indicates that it requires changing. Perhaps I'm being over cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

Bottom bracket has started to squeak on the daily commute bike - Giant Defy. The bike was parked up in the garage for a week while I was away with work - was silent up till then. Is this a case of simply removing the bottom bracket and greasing up?

Not sure why it has started - bike was serviced 6 months ago (with bottom bracket removed). I don't feel any signs of wear, anything I should be checking? It is possible that it got damp and rusted - I thought that the bottom bracket was a sealed unit though?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have a Look pedal, the chromo axle type that feels rough so decided to try service it yesterday.

All went as per YouTube but when put back together with the washers etc in place it is till rough, almost like the inner bearings habe no grease maybe???

One thing though when the pedal is reassembled without the washers the pedal is as normal, no roughness etc.

Any ideas? I'm no mechanic of any description so doing this is like a near adventure for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thud

The bearings could be damaged or you may be over tightening, are they sealed or loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Thud wrote: »
    The bearings could be damaged or you may be over tightening, are they sealed or loose?

Sealed bearings, they felt as rough before taking the axle out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

I thought what I meant was quite obvious - i.e that the chain seems to require changing more frequently than before. It has only done 1,000kms since I last changed it.

I'd prefer not to have it snap during a ride or when out of the saddle. Not a pleasant experience, hence the reason I change it when the chain checker indicates that it requires changing. Perhaps I'm being over cautious.

Sorry, it was to clarify how do you know it is no longer fit for purpose? Which you answered in your next line or so.

I think you are being too precious, you do not need to change the chain regularly to save the expensively ramped cassette and chain rings, because they are on geared bikes.

A SS chain is way stronger than a geared chain as it doesn't have to be built to be able to move up and down the gears. If it mates up to the sprocket and ring who cares?

All the power is directed along the strongest length so long as your chain line is correct so there is no slip there is no snapping.

I've had 7 years on my mtb before I swapped as I wanted a black 32t instead of the grey 30t ring. Not because the chain had gone.

The pompino did 23k commuting to work before I sold it to get a more practical gravel bike. The bloke who bought it off me 5 years ago still rides it as is on his commute.

Advertisement