Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what salary in Ireland can you be considered to have a decent life?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

myshirt wrote: »
    Spencer made all that money on sales of his bestseller The Grassy Knoll, it's legendary here on boards.

Good for you Spencer.

Oh My God I just read the Grassy Knoll, my life will never be the same again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

6541 wrote: »
    Oh My God I just read the Grassy Knoll, my life will never be the same again.

google just brings up a lot of JFK stuff predictably... what book is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

lawred2 wrote: »

Try urban dictionary

I doubt that'll help somehow

lawred2 wrote: »

Type Grassy Knoll into the search box within the boards website.

• Advertisement

6541 wrote: »
    Type Grassy Knoll into the search box within the boards website.

lol

ok - I get it now. I also now have an inkling what this man's obscure interest is that rewards him so well..

shudders

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

36 Male. I take home 17k a month... close to 500k gross a year. Single. Live alone in an apartment in a ****hole on the Northside. Drive a ten year old car. Most of the people in my block are on the social. Nice people. They have no idea what position I am in. Only my close family know. I consult in a very obscure line of business.

I look around me and see people on a fraction of what I'm earning getting in debt up to the hilt for the dream address. Madness.

I went on a date recently and the girl saw my car and knew my address.... didn't want to see me again, she wanted someone with more ambition..... I work 80 hours a week!!

I told her I was a carpenter.... I hope she finds what she is looking for...

17000 x 12 = 204000

17000 x 12 = 204000

he could be lashing 100k into a retirement fund

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Gross v Take-home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

When you bought your house is a big factor. Anyone who bought during the celtic tiger is probably tied to a large mortgage. In order to have enough disposable income to enjoy a decent life they would need a substantially higher salary than someone who bought 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

I used to live in Galway, currently am in London. I was better off in Galway,
    the rent was much lower. Still its a cool city.

I was reading this earlier.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/01/07/pain-by-numbers/

"...chief executive of Ires Reit David Ehrlich showing Mr Kehoe a two-bedroom apartment next to the Facebook offices in Dublin which is renting for €2,800 a month, in a block which has 99 per cent occupancy"

"Within the space of four to five years, he, David and his fund Ires, have gone from having zero apartments to close to 3,000 of them.”

One fund "owns" 3K properties in Dublin. :D - there is zero chance I can compete with that even if I earned 150K a year.

The modern world sucks balls.

Rent of €2,800 per month, I'm sorry but imo that is just mental money. Are most people even earning that as take home?

Even as a couple having to shell out €1,400 each is tough against some peoples whose entire mortgage repayment might be that.

****hole was harsh.... its just a bit rough.... but its where I'm from. Im perfectly happy here. I don't need a fancy place or car....

I will at some point I'm sure get a nice place somewhere if I meet a lady and have kids but right now I'm happy out...

All I do is work really.... its quit sad actually. No balance.

Spencer Winterbotham will the lady you meet be Irish and will you still be getting light relief on the side from males passing wind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Spencer Winterbotham

No doubt the discovery of my magnum opus "The Grassy Knoll" has cast suspicion on my salary disclosure... but it is never-the-less true.

I do not make my living from literature, which will no doubt come as surprise.

It matters not a jot whether I am believed or not....

and yes, the 17k is net not gross.

Advertisement