Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At what salary in Ireland can you be considered to have a decent life?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

85 Billion punts
    100 BILLION DOLARS

Fckin inflation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im sure they have certain criteria in their chosing a house, kids being one, location to their jobs etc etc etc, but i wasnt surprised when my friend told me the story, he told me, they just keep getting priced out of the market by people increasing bids on houses. this free market stuff is a bust

If they keep getting priced out of the market then it shows someone else has the money for that level of house. And it is your friends expectation of the type of house he wants/deserves/shouldbeabletoafford that is out of step.
    What, people should be prevented from increasing bids ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I guess money is not directly related to quality of life. You could be on 70k a year and be a miserable ****, or you could be on 25k and live happy.

Wise words.Someone once said that possessions are like salt water; the more you have the more you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

If they keep getting priced out of the market then it shows someone else has the money for that level of house. And it is your friends expectation of the type of house he wants/deserves/shouldbeabletoafford that is out of step.

Your mind can't think in generalisations. Just in specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

76544567 wrote: »
    I know what you mean.
    I was in a tiny bedsit myself on rent allowance for about 3 years.
    Then I rented a nicer place when I was working.
    I bought to live in then.
    Then I invested in property too.
    I have now decided that I am selling my investment properties because of the new rent regulations which are punishing me for charging below market rate to my tenants.
    I have to tell my tenants to move out now so that I can sell.
    I didnt want to have to do that, but if I dont i dont know what the government will do to me next year, so I have to leave the sector (The uncertainty of renting from the other side to yourself).
    So I have seen all sides of the property market and I still think that owning the house you live in is the most important thing to achieve while you can.
    I know others will disagree, but what about those who are just above the social welfare line when they retire and cant get rent allowance? Even those a good bit above it will feel rents very badly.
    But if they own their house their expenses are considerably decreased in retirement.

Not sure what your point is exactly? I applaud the limits being put on rents, and query the definition of "market value" given what I have seen the last while.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Depends on the part of Dublin, if you were earning about €85K you could get an ex-council house.

Apartments are a riskier purchase. They are harder to sell, for starters. Banks weren't willing to lend for apartment purchases during the recession, in large parts of the country. I know someone, a single person, who wanted to buy a two bed in the midlands for €90K during the recession and they were refused because it was an apartment. Person had a full time permanent job, enough money to cover the deposit and then some and was a FTB. The build quality and facilities tend to be very poor in apartment blocks too. Girl I work with paid €600K for a two bed in Grand Canal Dock during the boom and the building itself looks terrible now; baldly needs to be painted, the common garden is a mess and there is no play area for kids.

The common areas need the owners to club together via their management committee to make that work.

The bias against apartments is a problem in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

We get out for dinner about once a quarter,.

once a quarter, lol

hope someone shoots me if i ever start referring to personal life stuff in office jargon

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

But what is a decent life?

Some posters description of decent life is not decent at all, it's CHEAP.

People saying 'aye, you don't need to own a house are delusional and perhaps own a house themselves.

Sharing a house is not a life, it's living on the cheap.

BTW, every time I hear 'you can do this or 'you don't need that, makes my blood boil. All these smart answers yet the same people would never do the things they advise others to do.

I support posters who highlighthed that DISPOSABLE income is what matters.

So in my case, 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs:

Own house (mortgage) in suburbs (Dublin West), we need 80k -100k gross combined income to live a decent life.

We could live a cheap life by cutting corners but why bother? I'd rather buy something cheap in Kerry and enjoy life on SW.

Sadly, a lot of posters here don't acknowledge what the reality of their situation is.

Currently it's up in the air as I gave up my job to bring career onto right path as I'm not willing to commute 2 hours a day nor willing to work overtime for free. So no job but better life on social welfare of nearly 300 a week

Cost breakdown in circumstances similar to mine (avoided putting figures in places to spare us some posters doing nitpicking)

Mortgage/rent 1100/1500 a month

Bills 500 a month easily:

Property management
    bin charges
    electricity
    gas incl heating
    Internet
    TV licence
    modest TV package
    water charges (I paid)
    Property tax

House repairs
    Furniture
    New TV/computer/game/home audio once in few years (I'm running second hand stuff myself)

Childcare if you're brave 2000 a month I heard, my wife didn't work for 7 years (so either lose income or work and pay)

Clothing incl shoes for 4 people

Kids costs:
    School uniforms
    School books
    Lunches
    Gadgets, phones, games etc because you don't want your kids to stand out too much (check yourself and put your figure, don't want to start war here)

In my case 2 old (2005) executive (decent) cars with 2.2, 2.5 engines as I put safety first after accidents not of my fault (only one on the road now):
    Some depreciation and odd repair average 300 a month for both
    Insurance 200 a month for both
    Tax about 150 a month for both
    Fuel 150 for both

Decent holidays for 4 people, 3k that's 250 a month (can't afford now)

Health insurance think 150 a month (can't afford now)
    Medical bills for 4 people about 50 a month average

Entertainment (can't afford now except odd walk in the mountains or taking dogs out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

once a quarter, lol

hope someone shoots me if i ever start referring to personal life stuff in office jargon

If current projections are realised, and the outlook for Q3 is bullish at that time with no headline risks and the trend is my friend, I hope to take a tight dividend and factor in taking my wife for a relationship building dinner sometime before the summer doldrums.

I've always called 3 months a quarter.

Anyway my definition of the most basic decent life.

Own a house or have security of tenure.
    Bedrooms for all (one for the couple).
    Mortgage for this 25% max.
    Secure job or good enough economy to not worry about the future.
    Pension.
    Savings.
    Can eat out frequently.
    Can go on holidays.
    Max 30 minute commute.

This sound be how the American working class lived mid 20 century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've always called 3 months a quarter.

Anyway my definition of the most basic decent life.

Own a house or have security of tenure.
    Bedrooms for all (one for the couple).
    Mortgage for this 25% max.
    Secure job or good enough economy to not worry about the future.
    Pension.
    Savings.
    Can eat out frequently.
    Can go on holidays.
    Max 30 minute commute.

This sound be how the American working class lived mid 20 century.

I don't have one and can't afford one. I try not to think of it but it's terrifying to think of what my future will be like without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Because they are trying to live a lifestyle that is beyond their income today. Saying they cannot afford to save for retirement, is delusion for, cant stop themselves spending beyond their means today.

I beg to differ and take exception to this and your earlier post.
    I am middle income. I do not spend beyond my means. We cut our cloth to measure and neither myself or hubbie have a passport it's been that long since we've had a holiday abroad. We don't drink. We don't smoke. A trip to the cinema is a rare treat. On the face of it we have a good income but it's quickly swallowed up with bills. And yes we planned our children knowing the expense of them- if I won the lotto in the morning I'd love to have at least one more but we cannot afford it so sadly it's not to be. I resent being lumped in with feckless spenders who do live outside their means but please note not everyone does!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

not at all, i posted an article by david mcwilliams earlier, i think he hits the nail on the head regarding the failure of free market policies to address our housing needs. i would also recommend the work of economists tom and ronan lyons regarding these issues. our housing market has become deeply dysfunctional due to these fundamentally flawed theories and principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Parachutes wrote: »
    Even people on minimum wage here have 10x better life than most people on the planet.

You could expand on that. I read that a third world peasant today has a better life than the Emperor of China would have had in AD1000 .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Agreed. I haven't been to the dentist in ages and I know that's a terrible strategy to have but there's always something more pressing e.g. need to repair my old car, that pesky matter of food etc

Remember you can get your free prsi check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The common areas need the owners to club together via their management committee to make that work.

The bias against apartments is a problem in Ireland.

I agree that there is a bias against apartments in Ireland. Recall a lady telling them that you have nothing, if you don't have your own front door once. However, the management company should be maintaining the common areas. Brother lives in Germany and that is what happens there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

robbiezero wrote: »
    The fact that the threshold for paying > 50% tax is lower than the average industrial wage is mental.
    The fact that someone earning 80K only takes home 10 grand more than someone earning 25K less is mental. If the difference in pay involved an increased workload or responsibility, why would you bother your hole.

Yes, the top tax rate kicks in too early in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

So, whats the consensus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

So, whats the consensus?

1 million dollars.

There is no consensus. It varies wildly depending on circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A grand a month after tax / accomodation / pension / healthcare / utility bills would be doing fairly well imo.

That could mean a combined 100k salary in Dublin for a couple with kids or 20k for a single person living in a house they inherited from their grandparents in rural Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Spencer Winterbotham

36 Male. I take home 17k a month... close to 500k gross a year. Single. Live alone in an apartment in a ****hole on the Northside. Drive a ten year old car. Most of the people in my block are on the social. Nice people. They have no idea what position I am in. Only my close family know. I consult in a very obscure line of business.

I look around me and see people on a fraction of what I'm earning getting in debt up to the hilt for the dream address. Madness.

I went on a date recently and the girl saw my car and knew my address.... didn't want to see me again, she wanted someone with more ambition..... I work 80 hours a week!!

I told her I was a carpenter.... I hope she finds what she is looking for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

36 Male. I take home 17k a month... close to 500k gross a year. Single. Live alone in an apartment in a ****hole on the Northside. Drive a ten year old car. Most of the people in my block are on the social. Nice people. They have no idea what position I am in. Only my close family know. I consult in a very obscure line of business.

I look around me and see people on a fraction of what I'm earning getting in debt up to the hilt for the dream address. Madness.

I went on a date recently and the girl saw my car and knew my address.... didn't want to see me again, she wanted someone with more ambition..... I work 80 hours a week!!

Fair play to you for being that successful. But if the area you live in is really a "**** hole", would you not use, the vast amount of money at your disposal to buy something you would be proud of. Doesn't have to be D4, but you get nice places in Malahide, Clontarf, Sutton and the areas in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Spencer Winterbotham

****hole was harsh.... its just a bit rough.... but its where I'm from. Im perfectly happy here. I don't need a fancy place or car....

I will at some point I'm sure get a nice place somewhere if I meet a lady and have kids but right now I'm happy out...

All I do is work really.... its quit sad actually. No balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

WHAT DO YOU DO??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

100 BILLION DOLARS

Seriously, this.
    Everything is so bloody expensive these days. What would've been the very basics 20 years ago are now virtually unaffordable for at least half of the population.
    I'm on what would be considered a really decent wage in Ireland, but I live in London. I don't drink or smoke, don't travel much and live in a flat share which allows me to save more than a third of that a month.
    At this pace I might be able to afford a semi-D that's a two-hour drive outside of Dublin in about...four or five years.
    Don't quite fancy the idea of paying more of my wage to the government than to myself though, when I'm working 60 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You sound a bit creepy to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Bambi985 wrote: »
    WHAT DO YOU DO??

From crumlin, earns 500k a year, likes to keep a low profile, what do you think he does. He's a business man of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

From crumlin, earns 500k a year, likes to keep a low profile, what do you think he does. He's a business man of course.

Reminds me of that Goodfellas scene after the restaurant falls over itself to accommodate Henry Hill:

- 'What do you do?'
    - '...I'm in construction'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Not sure if it's been said already, but what is a "decent life". Enough to pay rent and enjoy yourself occasionally as a single person? With rent so high around Dublin and salaries so low I've no idea what I'd need for a decent life. I certainly wouldn't be able to afford the life I lead now if I were to live in Dublin/Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Spencer made all that money on sales of his bestseller The Grassy Knoll, it's legendary here on boards.

Good for you Spencer.

Advertisement