Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought a new S Max but..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Funmum05 wrote: »
    In an ideal world I'd have them reorder the car but I don't trust them to get it right a 2nd time. If they didn't then I'd be back to square one trying to look for a new car and if I was lucky enough to get my old car back it would be worth feck all in trade in. Or worst case they don't have my old car to give back then I'm stuck with having to accept another reorder or take the incorrect spec'd car for a 2nd time. It could drag out for a long time.

Btw tossy I'm a female lol

Sorry Funmum (now reads your name with spaces lol) I wasn't having a dig at your decision you did what's right for you and got a result you are ok with.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Zurbaran wrote: »
    I know very little about this class of car but I'm honestly surprised an S Max could come to 50k? There just has to be better 7 seater alternatives out there for that price?
    Well it is a top spec car with the high-end engine, plus lots of added extras. But even a decent spec S-Max with some nice toys is over 40k new, which is more than I'd like to spend, even though I'd like one... :(

As Funmum says, there aren't really many alternatives. Cheaper rivals like Grand Scenic or Grand Picasso or current 5008 are smaller. Large SUVs like Sante Fe are just as expensive, while direct rivals like Alhambra, Galaxy etc. might be more roomy but are likely even dearer, while less fun to drive. Then there are the premium brands... :eek:

Upcoming Kodiaq and new 5008 look like being worth consideration, but not till later this year, and price will be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I know very little about this class of car but I'm honestly surprised an S Max could come to 50k? There just has to be better 7 seater alternatives out there for that price?

like what ?

These are actually beautiful to drive, cant overstate that and ive never owned a ford in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Believe me Zurbaran for the spec of the S max I wanted there isn't another 7 seater to come close with regards to price. I've spent a long time researching it.
    After doing a bit of browsing it seems so. Only had a look at a couple but out of them I'd maybe go with a Sante Fe and that's only because I prefer the look of an SUV over a people carrier.
    listermint wrote: »
    like what ?
    Answering a question with a question?

Now I've done the same this might turn into Inception

I'd love to know how much more 7 seaters cost to make because it looks like there is a 10/15k premium over similar spec'd 5 seaters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Believe me Zurbaran for the spec of the S max I wanted there isn't another 7 seater to come close with regards to price. I've spent a long time researching it.

and yet you are wiling to settle for a car you didnt order, after all that.

sorry but you paid 50k for a car and didnt get what u ordered, they are going to slap on a few bits of plastic and all is well...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Funmum05

robtri wrote: »
    and yet you are wiling to settle for a car you didnt order, after all that.

sorry but you paid 50k for a car and didnt get what u ordered, they are going to slap on a few bits of plastic and all is well...

Problem is they didn't slap on the few bits of plastic that I ordered and now they are going to do it retrospectively

Gwynston wrote: »
    Well it is a top spec car with the high-end engine, plus lots of added extras. But even a decent spec S-Max with some nice toys is over 40k new, which is more than I'd like to spend, even though I'd like one... :(

As Funmum says, there aren't really many alternatives. Cheaper rivals like Grand Scenic or Grand Picasso or current 5008 are smaller. Large SUVs like Sante Fe are just as expensive, while direct rivals like Alhambra, Galaxy etc. might be more roomy but are likely even dearer, while less fun to drive. Then there are the premium brands... :eek:

Upcoming Kodiaq and new 5008 look like being worth consideration, but not till later this year, and price will be crucial.

I was looking at the Kodiaq myself. I've been told its starting at 43k for a basic model as its trying to rival the likes of the Q5 and Santa Fe. Also while all seats are individual the middle seat in the 2nd row is only a half seat so no use for car seats.

I'd love to know how much more 7 seaters cost to make because it looks like there is a 10/15k premium over similar spec'd 5 seaters.

There is more material and workmanship goes into a 7 seater as its a bigger car. Most 5 seaters as you put it are actually only geared towards 4 adults as the middle seat in the back row is a half seat. In the S max there are 7 full sized independently folding seats and in my case these are electronically operated.

The full 7 seat cars like the Smax, galaxy and Alhambra are much larger, higher and longer so its understandable that one of these would be 1000,s more then a standard Mondeo or Focus or even an A4. :)

There is more material and workmanship goes into a 7 seater as its a bigger car. Most 5 seaters as you put it are actually only geared towards 4 adults as the middle seat in the back row is a half seat. In the S max there are 7 full sized independently folding seats and in my case these are electronically operated.

The full 7 seat cars like the Smax, galaxy and Alhambra are much larger, higher and longer so its understandable that one of these would be 1000,s more then a standard Mondeo or Focus or even an A4. :)
    I can see why they would be thousands more but nearly 1/3 is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd say it's also down to being a very specific niche that they can exploit in terms of price. Plus the low production volume is going to impact the customer as well. The price we paid for a Sharan was vomit inducing when you look around for what's available for the price point - especially if you look at other types of cars a year or two older.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I was looking at the Kodiaq myself. I've been told its starting at 43k for a basic model as its trying to rival the likes of the Q5 and Santa Fe. Also while all seats are individual the middle seat in the 2nd row is only a half seat so no use for car seats.

43k for a basic model? Doubt that. There's a thread on the 'buying' sub forum about the Kodiaq and they say it starts in UK at 24 sterling, about 28 k ish euro. The most expensive price I can see is about 35 sterling, about 40 or 41 k euro. Those prices were about October last but they couldn't be that far out.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    43k for a basic model? Doubt that. There's a thread on the 'buying' sub forum about the Kodiaq and they say it starts in UK at 24 sterling, about 28 k ish euro. The most expensive price I can see is about 35 sterling, about 40 or 41 k euro. Those prices were about October last but they couldn't be that far out.

Always interesting to compare...

Skoda.co.uk Superb Combi L&K 190PS 4x4 DSG with metallic paint and nothing else added: £36,865 which is about 42k ish Euro.

Skoda.ie Superb Combi L&K 190PS 4x4 DSG with metallic paint and nothing else added: €50,075.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Always interesting to compare...

Skoda.co.uk Superb Combi L&K 190PS 4x4 DSG with metallic paint and nothing else added: £36,865 which is about 42k ish Euro.

Skoda.ie Superb Combi L&K 190PS 4x4 DSG with metallic paint and nothing else added: €50,075.

Very true, 8k of a difference is huge, but if the prices are right, 28 k to 43 k is 15k of a difference, that's ridiculous. I was looking at the Kodiaq and 3008/5008 and the Kodiaq really is very nice, but they seem very slow to be releasing the actual prices over here, which is a pity. The smax is the best of the lot in fairness but just too expensive I'm afraid.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Very true, 8k of a difference is huge, but if the prices are right, 28 k to 43 k is 15k of a difference, that's ridiculous. I was looking at the Kodiaq and 3008/5008 and the Kodiaq really is very nice, but they seem very slow to be releasing the actual prices over here, which is a pity. The smax is the best of the lot in fairness but just too expensive I'm afraid.

I was interested in the Kodiaq along with the Sorrento etc , but (besides arriving too late) its not exactly that practical compared to an MPV. The lack of independent seats really is a killer with these cars... a potential big win for the 5008.

edit: Back to pricing. Starting 42 euro doesn't add up alright. I'd be amazed if it was a grand or two above the Superb combi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

I was interested in the Kodiaq along with the Sorrento etc , but (besides arriving too late) its not exactly that practical compared to an MPV. The lack of independent seats really is a killer with these cars... a potential big win for the 5008.

edit: Back to pricing. Starting 42 euro doesn't add up alright. I'd be amazed if it was a grand or two above the Superb combi.

the kodiaq is starting at about stg£21k .. no irish prices released yet .. but take that as a gauge .. and that price is based on the 1.4tsi .. which no doubt will never really be offered in ireland. The 2.0tdi I think is about stg£24k

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

At the risk of turning this into a Kodiaq thread....

Remember when comparing UK/IRL, you have to take VRT into account, not just currency conversion.

A mid range Superb Estate 2.0TDI 150ps in UK is £25/26k and the equivalent Kodiaq costs around 1.5/2k more, so let's say 6 or 7% dearer.

So if a similar Superb Estate is around €34k here, the Kodiaq should come in between 36 and 37k. And entry level ones should be 2 or 3k less than that. So a fair saving over an S-Max, although equipment varies. Skoda offer a lot of add-ons for a price.

The Kodiaq is due to be launched mid-March so pricing should be finialised by then. I'm going to view one of the LHD models today that they have touring the country currently, so keep an eye on the thread:
    Skoda Kodiaq?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why did you accept the vehicle day 1 OP?

It's up to you to check the car is exactly the same spec. as the one you ordered. Mistakes in the ordering process happen, and chances are it's the salesman's fault in the inputting stage.

Accepting the vehicle put you in a much weaker position.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Would you not get them to re-order it and use the S-max that you have for the time being until the one you re-ordered arrives? It's their fvck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

For what its worth, there are a lot of factors when buying. The S-Max 171 Zetec can be got for 35K.
    Ive driven quite an amount of 7 Seaters. The S-Max is much bigger than most bar Sharan, Galaxy etc. For example its much bigger and wider than my wife's 5008, than the new Grand Picasso etc. I would imagine its bigger than any of the new SUVs on the horizon also.
    Im not defending its price but the S-Max certainly straddles the Mid and large size MPV's, and for pure size alone I'll also be considering it when trading up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mc Love wrote: »
    Would you not get them to re-order it and use the S-max that you have for the time being until the one you re-ordered arrives? It's their fvck up.

Having taken delivery it's now the OP's responsibility though. If the spec. is wrong (and he paid for stuff he didn't get) it's up to the owner to agree a settlement from the dealer I'd say.

Order new again and the current car will be a trade in. It'll mean serious depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

For what its worth, there are a lot of factors when buying. The S-Max 171 Zetec can be got for 35K.
    Ive driven quite an amount of 7 Seaters. The S-Max is much bigger than most bar Sharan, Galaxy etc. For example its much bigger and wider than my wife's 5008, than the new Grand Picasso etc. I would imagine its bigger than any of the new SUVs on the horizon also.
    Im not defending its price but the S-Max certainly straddles the Mid and large size MPV's, and for pure size alone I'll also be considering it when trading up.

I think its on par with the Alhambra - i would have gone for the Seat giving it has the auto sliding door.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Why did you accept the vehicle day 1 OP?

It's up to you to check the car is exactly the same spec. as the one you ordered. Mistakes in the ordering process happen, and chances are it's the salesman's fault in the inputting stage.

Accepting the vehicle put you in a much weaker position.

She hadn't realized, and was assured it was correct by staff.

MarkR wrote: »
    She hadn't realized, and was assured it was correct by staff.

As I said she shouldn't have taken anyone's word for anything.

I'm (very) familiar with the process of accepting delivery of a new Ford and will always insist on having a good look at the vehicle before signing off on it. I know the spec, and I check for damage caused in transit etc.

That was the mistake the OP made, and is now in a much weaker position because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I buy a new car every three years and the only thing I check is that the colour is right.

I trust the garage I buy from but maybe next time I will go through the specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are only buying something standard where the only difference between it and another car is the colour then that's different from buying something that you specifically customized and ordered from the factory.

OP is alot more forgiving than I'd be, if I was spending 50k I'd want what I ordered or give me my money back and I'll buy something else. I wouldn't be happy with them just sticking things on afterwards.

Mc Love wrote: »
    I think its on par with the Alhambra - i would have gone for the Seat giving it has the auto sliding door.

Alhambra/sharan is almost identical in size to the galaxy. S max is a bit smaller. The sliding doors were the main reason we went for it. The second was integrated boosters. Neither available in either the s max or galaxy. The ford dealer I went to agreed with me on the door issue. He said it was bizarre that they were offered on the c max and not its bigger siblings.

Update:

And so the saga continues. After 5 weeks of waiting, the dress up kit arrived. So off I go and bring my car to the garage to have it all fitted. I get a phone call the next day to say that they sent duplicate side skirts for the left instead of 1 left and 1 right. Turns out the missing skirt is on back order as they have no stock.

I ended up having to go up 2 days after dropping it in to pick my car back up as I can't be without a 7 seater. I can't understand how did the sales guy not learn his lesson first time round regarding checking that everything was there. I did point it out to him and that if they had of painted the parts (as I assumed they would have) before I brought my car up they'd have noticed the mistake.

I'm back to square 1 now with the waiting.

I know people have said I should not have taken the car in the first place but if the sales guy had noticed the missing dressup kit before collection he'd have ordered it in and retro fitted it anyway with me being non the wiser.
    I also don't trust them to re order the car correctly and then having to wait at least another 7 months only to find another error.

On the plus side I've managed to get the 1st service free. If it keeps going on like this I'll be hitting them for a years insurance lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like you are dealing with a right shower up numpties and they have got 50k off you for the privilege. I know you say you wouldn't trust them to re-order the car correctly but I'm not sure taking a car you didn't actually order is in anyway better.

As I said previously you're a lot more patient than I would be, a free oil change wouldn't begin to polish over this mess. I'd be talking to the dealer principal and Ford themselves. If they are not made aware of these shortcomings then nothing will ever be done to fix it.

Advertisement