Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought a new S Max but..

Options
  • 05-01-2017 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a new S max 7 months ago but only received delivery of it yesterday. I noticed straight off 2 of the extras I ordered weren't on the car. One of the extras, the sports kit, the sales man told me was on it. I wonder if someone on here could confirm but I thought the sports kit included skirts on the front, side and rear of the car plus the honeycomb grill.

None of these appear to be on the car and I have the standard silver grill on it. Also I'm now concerned that the engine size isn't what I ordered as there's been other errors on the car. I ordered the 180bhp but it just doesn't feel any faster then my previous s max which was 143bhp. I've checked the VIN number but it seems to soon as its not recognised. Is there anyway of checking the bhp? Any help would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Try to put the VIN into Ford ETIS:
    https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Select a vehicle and enter the VIN there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Funmum05

Thanks for the link Shietpilot, it was very informative. Turns out the sports pack wasn't included despite the fact I've paid for it . They also gave other extras that I didn't want but the 2 items I did want they didn't include. I will get back onto the garage tomorrow and hopefully they'll fit the sports kit considering I've paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check your paperwork. Does it say there these things are to be included?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Keep this updated... Interested to see how Ford offer to resolve it. :)

What county is the dealer in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭kindalen

Hate to hear stories like this. Do you have paperwork of exact car you ordered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

What about the bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

God that must be infuriating. I don't think I'd have accepted the delivery but I guess you didn't fully realise until after it wasnt exactly what you ordered..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely something out of stock that they pawned off on you.
    I wouldn't have accepted it. I'm sure the car has been sitting at the dealer for a while waiting for 2017 to arrive. I would have been down taking a good look around it in advance.
    Anyway, interested to hear what dealer proposes to offer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I hope all works out for you op.
    Is there a 7 month waiting list for a s max? What items did you want and are not on the car ?
    If I were you I think I would be looking for another car built to the spec you ordered originally as you obviously took the time to spec what you wanted and paid for it which has not been delivered. its not as if the s max is a cheap car to begin with.

We had two s maxes and the experience with ford dealers left a lot to be desired. Product knowledge always very poor and couldn't really be arsed to sell you anything that wasn't already built or in stock. Shockingly bad sometimes.

@biko and kindalen yep my paper work details everything I ordered. I was there when the sales guy submitted the order and he then forward the order form to me.

@dakarvert I'm not backing down on this. This is the 4th ford car I've ordered over the years and they've yet to deliver what I order. More fool me I suppose but the S max ticked all my boxes.

Bhp is as I've ordered thankfully. I just reckon the car is heavier which is why there doesn't seem to be a difference is speed.

@road_high, Infuriating is not the word. I decided to let it go that the power memory driver seat wasn't there but I was told everything else was. I even asked specifically about the sports kit but was told it was there, I wasn't convinced so have been researching it today.

@mickdw I ordered this car back in early June 2016 with an expected deliver date of late August. They didn't have the car is stock in early December as I was in getting a bulb replaced. This was a custom built car which is why I was told it was taking so long to build.

@carsfan2 no I was told it was a 10-12 week lead time. Turned out to be a 7 month lead time and that was only after the dealer changed it to be an employee bought car.

I should've learnt my lesson from the last S max I bought in 2010 where they didn't deliver the colour I ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Had some issues with my smax in 2014, ordered a 2.0 zetec, went to pick it up and it was a 1.6 style!, had to wait another 3 months for a new build, I put it down to the fact the Ford garage I bought it from went dust and was taken over by another ford group, great car though!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Funmum05 wrote: »
    @biko and kindalen yep my paper work details everything I ordered. I was there when the sales guy submitted the order and he then forward the order form to me.

@dakarvert I'm not backing down on this. This is the 4th ford car I've ordered over the years and they've yet to deliver what I order. More fool me I suppose but the S max ticked all my boxes.

Bhp is as I've ordered thankfully. I just reckon the car is heavier which is why there doesn't seem to be a difference is speed.

@road_high, Infuriating is not the word. I decided to let it go that the power memory driver seat wasn't there but I was told everything else was. I even asked specifically about the sports kit but was told it was there, I wasn't convinced so have been researching it today.

@mickdw I ordered this car back in early June 2016 with an expected deliver date of late August. They didn't have the car is stock in early December as I was in getting a bulb replaced. This was a custom built car which is why I was told it was taking so long to build.

@carsfan2 no I was told it was a 10-12 week lead time. Turned out to be a 7 month lead time and that was only after the dealer changed it to be an employee bought car.

I should've learnt my lesson from the last S max I bought in 2010 where they didn't deliver the colour I ordered.

Sounds to me like they got you a car that was close to what you ordered and in stock somewhere in the country and passed it off as the car you ordered to get you out of their hair. I'd be taking this up with the dealer principal and then Ford Ireland if there is no satisfactory outcome ie the car you ordered and paid for. Cars are too expensive for this type of carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You should read up on the exact spec you have ordered and how it could be added to yours, I would say some of it will not be possible to retrofit without butchering the car and I wouldn't settle for that, at the end of the day it's their problem, you didn't get what you ordered, there's no excuse for this kind of mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Not a cheap vehicle to be fobbed off on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Or be patient enough to wait 7 months only to get what you didn't order.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Does this type of thing happen often?? If I paid that much or even close to it for a new car and waited that long and they didnt give me what I wanted I'd go apesh!t!

Sorry to hear OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

I can't believe your Ford dealer tried to pull that off! :mad:
    Name and shame them for everyone else's benefit.! I've been looking at the new S-Max and would want to avoid the same experience...

7 months is taking the p!ss - while that's an unusual spec for Ireland, it's not in the UK and their cars come from the same factory. So you should never have had to wait so long for a supposedly "special build" - what a crock!

One sure way of telling you have a 180hp motor is I think only those have the twin chrome exhaust trim. the 150hp models don't and the exhaust is not really visible. But I guess you've resolved that anyway.

The Sports pack must have been a pricey extra so they are really on fraudulent ground trying to pass off one without it! As others have said - not easy to retrofit. I would flat refuse what you've been given and demand a new, correct order. Of course they need to provide you with a courtesy car while you wait (hopefully not 7 months).

How ford hope to sell Vignale versions of their cars at even higher prices is beyond me.
    If they can't order cars properly to begin with and look after existing customers.
    I replaced an s max in 2012 with another and when I wanted to add extras I couldn't as even though they were in the brochure and on the price lists was told couldn't be got!
    I asked about the better specs in uk and was told two seperate markets completely different and had no chance of a uk car order being brought to Ireland. In the end got a 6 month old ford ireland s max run by one of the directors that had every bell and whistle on it. Funnny how they could get one.
    I hope this works out for the op but I bet they will try and fob you off initially at least.

Quick up date
    To say I'm fuming is an understatement. I've spent over 50k on the car and have saved hard to be able to do that. I was onto another major Ford garage in Dublin this morning to check that the sports pack can be retrofitted and thankfully it can. It costs a fortune though but that's not my problem.

I have since been onto my garage and he can't believe its not on it despite the fact I asked on the day of collection as it didn't look like the skirts were on it. Thankfully he's said that they can fit them and will. He's just gone back to Ford Ireland to get them to cover the cost. It would appear that it was the sales guys fault as he was told that to get the sports kit you had to add everything manually and the computer system then recognised it was the sports pack and charged accordingly.

Gwynston its defo the 180bhp has it has the twin exhausts on the back.

I just can't believe they made such a f*ck up after waiting 7 months. I don't think I'll be going Ford again even though I love how they drive.

What about the other extras?
    I'd want factory fitted stuff if was paying for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Amateur hour from Ford. 100 years and they still can't get it right.

@brownfinger, the other extra was the 10 way electric memory set drivers seat. To get that the car would have to be rebuild and as I waited 7 months for the one I have I decided to let it go as I don't trust them to get it right a second time. He didn't charge me for it and gave me a further discount. It was one of the extras I really wanted though so I was annoyed enough over that. I did get extras such as the travel pack and adaptive cruise control with active city stop which I didn't order and is worth close to 2k. Of course I didn't mention this to the sales guy as I wasn't going to give an out on the sports pack and like I said I don't trust them to get it right a 2nd time.

Yeah, they've really done a job on you. I'm envious of your new car (as I can't justify just the 40k for a 'regular' new S-Max), but your experience must have left a real bad taste.

And the 7 months is just unbelievable, because if you'd ordered in November (when I was looking) you'd have saved a few grand with their 171 offers. My dealer was really pushing me and promised 10-12 weeks delivery.

Shame he made me such a sh!te trade-in offer on my old S-Max that I walked... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I did get extras such as the travel pack and adaptive cruise control with active city stop which I didn't order and is worth close to 2k. Of course I didn't mention this to the sales guy as I wasn't going to give an out on the sports pack and like I said I don't trust them to get it right a 2nd time.

Ford may be reading this you know?

@stallingrad, True but the way I see it is if they had of delivered my car when they said back in September I wouldn't be out of pocket of close to 4k. They devalued my old S max by 3k to what they originally offered when I ordered the car. I also had to tax and NCT it as they were up in September and replace the front break discs. Also its not my fault they messed up and added stuff, it just goes to show how poor the QC is in the factory.

@Gwynston, I wasn't really looking at changing my car but decided to see what I would get as a trade in as I was expecting around 10k. They offered 14k so made it doable. I had the face lifted 2010 smax but had 165k km so felt it was time.

I hope it doesnt take the shine off your new car.
    Best of luck getting it sorted.

I wasn't really looking at changing my car but decided to see what I would get as a trade in as I was expecting around 10k. They offered 14k so made it doable. I had the face lifted 2010 smax but had 165k km so felt it was time.

Mine is a 08 with only 77k miles. UK model with 2.0 engine which was rare in Ireland back then. Got offered 5k trade-in by Ford dealer :eek:

@gwynston that's a low trade in alright. Have you checked to see what they're selling for 2nd hand now. My old car was the 2.0 engine but it was the 143bhp version and it was a titanium. I was surprised they offered that much for it but I did a check and they were selling for around 17k to 18k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Neilw

I'd be asking for the use of the existing car until the correct spec car came from the factory.

• Advertisement

5k is very low offer for 08 s max especially from a Ford dealer I would have expected much better.

How is the new s max to drive?
    Is it as good as the old model which was lovely considering the size?
    Glad that you are getting sorted out now by the dealer. I would still be looking for something like free service to compensate for the inconvenience and upset of it all.
    180 bhp model will be very rare in Ireland.
    The new model is a lot rarer on the roads than the old I think they have pushed the price way too high for the bog standard model.

Advertisement