Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Late late show is live. Tommy Tiernan show is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Late late show is live dead. Tommy Tiernan show is not.

Sorry, but I had to fix your post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Lisa McInerney was very good, informative interview and well able for Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'll go out on a limb here and say it's unlikely there's a tonne of material lost in the edit, where Tommy struggles hopelessly to build rapport with a guest or sits in awkward silence for 2 minutes waiting for the next question to come to him.

The guys entire career has been built on keeping an audience on-side during a live performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

If you were to edit the late late to show the best bits it still wouldn't be anywhere near as good as this.

• Advertisement

There was a poster on this forum who actually was at the show and posted about how edited it was. Obviously tubridy and darcy have a far more stressful time doing a live show. And should be acknowledged for same. What ever happens on t.Tiernan show only the audience there on the night see. When the general public see same it's cut and edited to make good tv. Can no one understand that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There was a poster on this forum who actually was at the show and posted about how edited it was. Obviously tubridy and darcy have a far more stressful time doing a live show. And should be acknowledged for same. What ever happens on t.Tiernan show only the audience there on the night see. When the general public see same it's cut and edited to make good tv. Can no one understand that ?
    I think people understand that.
    Doesn't chance the opinion that Tiernan is a better interviewer than either I suspect.

Lisa McInerney was very good, informative interview and well able for Tommy.
    Joe, if you haven't heard Tommy interview the writer, Donal Ryan, you should have a listen to the podcast. I've lost count of the number of times I've listened to it, I think it's awful funny.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_tommytiernan.xml
    (It's the fourth show)

Edit: I should have mentioned that the Donal Ryan interview is 26 minutes into the fourth podcast, he interviews Panti first.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

SligoJoe, I bet you've been out in Gort??
    No. I'd say I passed through it twice. When I lived at home I'd have been mostly on the Tipp side of the lake. Anytime I went near Portumna I either ended up in trouble with the cops or in hospital. I prefered the bottom of the lake. Portroe Ballina/Killaloe and O Briens Bridge. I went out with a Girl in Killaloe in the mid-late 80s before I went to England. So I spent most weekends down there.

Joe, if you haven't heard Tommy interview the writer, Donal Ryan, you should have a listen to the podcast. I've lost count of the number of times I've listened to it, I think it's awful funny.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_tommytiernan.xml
    (It's the fourth show)

Havent heard it Lady C, but will check it out later, thanks.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    No. I'd say I passed through it twice. When I lived at home I'd have been mostly on the Tipp side of the lake. Anytime I went near Portumna I either ended up in trouble with the cops or in hospital. I prefered the bottom of the lake. Portroe Ballina/Killaloe and O Briens Bridge. I went out with a Girl in Killaloe in the mid-late 80s before I went to England. So I spent most weekends down there.

So that's why Killaloe Garda Station is no longer open 24/7, the place is so quiet since you moved to the North West ;)

Do you remember Molly's? It closed down before Christmas.

Nationwide featured the Lough Derg area recently, some of your old haunts should be in it - GarryK, Dromineer, Ballina, Killaloe.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/nationwide-21/10671855/

The Killaloe guards were sound. I only had one appearance down there before Judge O Dea (I think).

Which one is molly's? We would mainly have gone to Morgan's, Donovan's (It was called something after that. A scottish fellow, Larry, had it) and the Anchor. There weren't many places biker friendly in them days.

Edit:
    I just clicked on the link. That was Donovans. What was it called before that and after Donovans? I've often heard my brother's wife mentioning it. She's from there too. I've only been to Killaloe a few times since '87. Then it was mostly visiting and I wasn't drinking.

My mother told me about the Nationwide thing. I've no sound on the laptop and I can't get RTE player to work with Chromecast. Ill watch it in someone else's house.

The Killaloe guards were sound. I only had one appearance down there before Judge O Dea (I think).

Which one is molly's? We would mainly have gone to Morgan's, Donovan's (It was called something after that. A scottish fellow, Larry, had it) and the Anchor. There weren't many places biker friendly in them days.

Edit:
    I just clicked on the link. That was Donovans. What was it called before that and after Donovans? I've often heard my brother's wife mentioning it. She's from there too. I've only been to Killaloe a few times since '87. Then it was mostly visiting and I wasn't drinking.
    Molly's was first pub on the Ballina side of the bridge, the Anchor Bar (still there) is on the Killaloe side.

Judge Albert O'Dea retired in 2001, he was a character and a half but I can't post any of the stories here :D If you appeared in court in Killaloe these days, your case would be held in O'Donovan's (Boru on the Hill) Pub. You'd be in good company though Ralph Lauren's niece Jenny Lauren appeared there a few years ago.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/pub-that-hosted-lauren-court-appearance-to-be-subjected-to-review-254960.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

torrevieja wrote: »
    is Love Hate Coming Back now ?:eek:

Yes, Nidge got Siobhan's heart, Tommy her brain and Fran her arse.

Molly's was first pub on the Ballina side of the bridge, the Anchor Bar (still there) is on the Killaloe side.

Judge Albert O'Dea retired in 2001, he was a character and a half but I can't post any of the stories here :D If you appeared in court in Killaloe these days, your case would be held in O'Donovan's (Boru on the Hill) Pub. You'd be in good company though Ralph Lauren's niece Jenny Lauren appeared there a few years ago.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/pub-that-hosted-lauren-court-appearance-to-be-subjected-to-review-254960.html

Yeah that was him. He fined me £5 for no tax and a bald tyre on a Honda 50.

Wasn't there another high profile air rage case held there too?

Mods, sorry to be off topic but LadyC started it

Yeah that was him. He fined me £5 for no tax and a bald tyre on a Honda 50.

Wasn't there another high profile air rage case held there too?

Mods, sorry to be off topic but LadyC started it
    I'm now handing Tommy Tiernan back his thread :D.....and yes, SligoJoe, you're correct, I did start this thread way back on January 5th.

Goodnight folks, early start in the morning.....

Same as that.

G'night all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Suas11 wrote: »
    If you were to edit the late late to show the best bits it still wouldn't be anywhere near as good as this.

If you were to edit The Late Late down to it's best bits, you could probably throw it into The Angelus time slot and still have 30 seconds to spare... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Did you ever ramble into Borrisokane? There must be something in the water there because the women were always out for a good time there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

That interview with John Connors was the best so far in my opinion, i can't believe the guy is only 26, but the interview was so informative and he seems like a really nice fella, Tommy really got the best out of him.
    I love the fact he sang aswell, i spent a night over xmas singing with a few sound travellers in Tuam, before they were asked to leave for no reason at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

torrevieja wrote: »
    Tommy is Really good Such a Talent is he in the Betting now fro the Late Late, or a bigger show...

As if RTE would ever take out Tubs or admit they 4ucked by taking D'Arcy in and remove him.

I wonder would one of the UK stations take him. Perhaps his humor has too many Irish nuances, but maybe he could adapt a bit.

Tiernan is on Today FM right now talking about how much more difficult a job the likes of D'Arcy and Tubs have.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    That interview with John Connors was the best so far in my opinion, i can't believe the guy is only 26, but the interview was so informative and he seems like a really nice fella, Tommy really got the best out of him.
    I love the fact he sang aswell, i spent a night over xmas singing with a few sound travellers in Tuam, before they were asked to leave for no reason at all
    Maybe it was a "no singing " pub.

Maybe it was a "no singing " pub.

Everyone was singing, but only the travellers were asked to leave it was shameful.
    It's only Dublin pubs that ban singing. Our culture is a thing of the past up here.

Everyone was singing, but only the travellers were asked to leave it was shameful.
    It's only Dublin pubs that ban singing. Our culture is a thing of the past up here.

Out of curiosity, did the travellers object to being asked to leave? Did other people in the pub object to their treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Ah the old salt of the earth travellers, where would we be without them. Sure all they will do is sing a few oul songs, never a problem.
    I also encountered them in pubs and witnessed them wreck one and took off in vans drunk as lords and never were prosocuted. Of course Tommy( the new Michael Parkinson ) would never broach that aspect of traveller life.

Out of curiosity, did the travellers object to being asked to leave? Did other people in the pub object to their treatment?

They asked why very politely as they had been allowed drink and have the craic with us for hours first, A few lads in their late 20's i'd say and their Dad who was 50ish. I'm no pc snowflake fighter but i found this wrong and stuck up for them but to no avail, so i left aswell. I know alot have a bad name but are we really painting them all with the same brush ? The gas thing is they lived around the corner, where as i was the blow in Dub

They asked why very politely as they had been allowed drink and have the craic with us for hours first, A few lads in their late 20's i'd say and their Dad who was 50ish. I'm no pc snowflake fighter but i found this wrong and stuck up for them but to no avail, so i left aswell. I know alot have a bad name but are we really painting them all with the same brush ? The gas thing is they lived around the corner, where as i was the blow in Dub
    If they lived "round the corner ". I think you may have just answered your own question !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,671 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

AP Mccoy seems a twat.

Advertisement