Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car plans for 2017.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Think this year I'll buy some blistein b8 for ST to go with eibach springs and might upgrade few bushes when needed.
    Going to get new torque mount for it too.
    Other then that tint the rears as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

New 171 Octavia RS TDi in Race Blue should be on the road this week. I traded in my 141 Octavia 1.6TDi against it, only 27,000 miles on the clock.

PCP payments work out pretty much the same per month, and had enough equity in the current car, so didn't have to put any of my own money towards the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Selling the Civic soon, been test driving RX8s but I'm still having slightly cold feet with the silly MPG figures. Trying to justify it daily :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

skodacb wrote: »
    New 171 Octavia RS TDi in Race Blue should be on the road this week. I traded in my 141 Octavia 1.6TDi against it, only 27,000 miles on the clock.

PCP payments work out pretty much the same per month, and had enough equity in the current car, so didn't have to put any of my own money towards the new one.

That's a very good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Due to funds I only ever have a galactic mile banger that last 2 years or so with maintenance,

I love cars , new, old, weird, expensive, cheap etc and this year I might take the plunge and go for something tasty, tax and insure it for six months and sell on.
    Their is an immense urge inside me all the time to just f**King buy something and get on with it.I constantly look at donedeal etc and wonder who bought that nice 530i petrol or Lexus LS for 1500 etc

This year I WILL upset the wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's a very good result.

Thats really hard to believe as your new car is about 10k more expensive than the old one, even with 0% apr your payments or deposit must be far bit higher?

The C5 has been fairly good to me, getting drove a lot and not really throwing up any issues along the way (unless I've caused them myself, generally. haha).

So it's got it's NCT this year (its an 09 so didnt need one last year). I'd say it'll breeze through it, but as it stands the aim is to keep it for another few years anyway. Although I have been tempted by a brand new Lancer cos they're so affordable, and I think they actually look fairly nice.

But realistically, I'd say the C5 will be here to stay for another 5 or so years anyway :) All going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wedgie wrote: »
    I'll keep my '99 Camry for as long as it keeps ticking over, seeing as how I can't afford anything newer. I can't remember what obnoxious milage it's done, it's not pretty or fast, it's fairly easy on fuel, and just keeps going (fingers crossed).

Well that means you'll still be posting this in 25 years time so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    What is it?

Oh yeah! 11 Mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

adox wrote: »
    Warning: long and probably boring post so skip over if you wish.

Let me start by saying I'm in no way a car enthusiast it do like them and due to limited funds tend to buy for practical reasons.

Got a 2012 Passat Highline around the end of August last year(just over 4 months ago) and I have mixed feelings about it and have toyed with the idea of changing it again in 2017, even though I don't have the funds.

Firstly the car is very comfortable with a really nice spec, drives well and is very economical. It's quite luxurious for what I'm usually used to. Love the hill hold, auto wipers/lights all that sort of stuff.

The thing is there's a few minor annoyances. The car has been back 3 times to the VW dealer since I had it. I noticed early on a rattle coming from somewhere in the back. Like the sound of rattling metal. Not mechanical sounding, more like a cage vibrating, if that makes sense. Searched high and low but couldn't find the cause. Brought it back, took one of their mechanics for a spin and he noticed the noise straight away. So I left it in while they investigated further. I told them I thought it may be the metal part on the top part of the inside of the boot as it seemed to have a bit of movement in it if you prodded it. Anyway they took it in and rang me the next day to tell me they thought it was the triangle in the boot lid that wasn't seated properly and they had sorted it. Of course it wasn't that and the issue was still there. Sent it back again and they said it was the cigarette charger lid in between the seats and ordered a replacement. That was fitted when it arrived in and didn't sort it. In the meantime the air compnditioning started making a noise like something was caught in it. Back in again it goes and they replaced the unit as they thought it may be failing. They also put some tape in between the cables that run along the top of the boot that release the back seats and the metal part above where I suspected the rattling was coming from. That seems to sort that problem.
    Next, when I was cleaning off some bird **** from the passenger side rear bumper I noticed that it was lose and so had to send it back in again! They told me that a plastic piece holding it to the body of the car had snapped and needed to be replaced. They said it might not be covered under the warranty as it should not fail and must have been caused by an impact. I argued my case(no collisions or impacts in the short time I had the car) and they said they'd see what they can do. I contacted the salesman that sold me the car and explained what had happened and he told me he would sort it and not to worry as I repeatedly pointed out I was three months into a twelve month warranty.

Anyway picked the car up and was told after reviewing it, it wasn't covered under warranty and they charged me €115 to fix it. The part cost €12.50. I let them know in no uncertain terms how I felt and told them that would be the last money they get from me.

So it was all minor stuff but pretty annoying and the last incident really left me pissed off with the vw dealer and I intend to get the car serviced elsewhere when it's due etc and won't buy from them again. The car still has some rattles in it. In ththe dash at times and the doors as well. Just those annoying rattles.
    So I'm really considering changing the car at some time next year, even though the problems have been minor. It still drives very nicely and as said is well spec,d but the little niggles pissed me off(the rattling)and especially the dealership and their treatment of me, which leaves me with sort of bad feelings about the car. I paid cash for it and had intended to drive it for 4-5 years but sometimes things don't feel the right fit and I'm wondering if that is the case with me. I'm gonna see how it goes and make a decision either way in the first half of the year.

I have a 131 Passat, i have put 180k on it since new. I have had none of the above problems you have listed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Oh yeah! 11 Mondeo

I would have imagined that would sell quite easily, popular car? Priced to high maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Just preparing the wife's car for sale now and mine will be on a boat to NZ with us in March. Not sure what we'll do for a second car in NZ once we get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Senecio wrote: »
    Just preparing the wife's car for sale now and mine will be on a boat to NZ with us in March. Not sure what we'll do for a second car in NZ once we get there.

I've never lived in NZ, nor have I transported a car there, but from what I've heard/read, would you be better off financially buying something here and shipping that also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Service & maintenance for the Focus
    Prepare E36 for the NCT and track days. Go to as many track days as the wallet can afford :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

My gti is two years old so half thinking about a new one with slighter higher spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Will have a 171 Peugeot 308 1.6 Diesel in red on the road Friday. Trading in my 131 Peugeot 208 1.2 Petrol, 22K km on the clock.

I was hoping to get a petrol 308 but that was not an option for the spec I am getting. When I got the 208 she already had approx. 5.5K km on her and in 3 years I got her up to 22k. Dealer told me that the blue HDi engine will allow it to heat up like a petrol engine and shouldn't worry to much about the fact that I don't do too much mileage.

This will be my first brand new car, but I will miss my little 208, she was so good to me after owning two crap cars prior to her. I passed my driving test in her, but whoever buys her will have a nice clean low mileage car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

For me its new car time in 2017, I have my E39 523i since 2004.

I have mixed feelings about it. She's a great and looked after car and it would only take new shocks and some love/detailing and she 'd be A1 again. She is the best car I ever had. But like last year and the year before its another grand or two at the end of which I'd still be driving around in a nearly 20 years old car that costs 1100 to tax.
    I think this year I'm ready to move on.
    Maybe I should rather post this in Personal Issues instead ;)

Looking to get an F31, the 3 series estate. Almost certainly diesel, they're just better on the finances, VRT, everything. I'd love the 330, it would soften the blow, but my budget is not unlimited. See how the Sterling goes over the next 3 months.
    If I had the money I'd get the 330d in SE with xdrive and all the trimmings. Can't see my budget stretching even close to that, but you never know. Come on 'hard brexit' lol.

80s Child wrote: »
    I've never lived in NZ, nor have I transported a car there, but from what I've heard/read, would you be better off financially buying something here and shipping that also?

If I was better organised I would have bought something tasty here (large capacity, petrol, high tax). But unless I can show that I have owned it for >13 months I'll have to pay tax on it when importing it into NZ. As it is I'm saving a bucket taking one of our cars. I have 2013 Skoda Yeti full of extras. Probably worth about 14-15K EUR here. To buy the same car in NZ would cost ~20K and with the VRT rebate there's another 5K back in my pocket. It's only costing me 2K to transport it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Casati wrote: »
    Thats really hard to believe as your new car is about 10k more expensive than the old one, even with 0% apr your payments or deposit must be far bit higher?

My current payment on the 1.6 was working out at €393 per month. That was at a 3.9℅ APR. The RS is working out at €411 at 0%

My 141 Octavia Elegance OTR price at the time was €28k. The RS I got down from €34k to €32k.

My trade in value was originally €13,500, but managed to get €15,000 less the €11,000 owed on the car meant nearly €4,000 as deposit.

So 32,000-4,000= €28,000, GMFV of €13,5000 for the RS taken from the €28,000 totals €14,500 over 36 = €402 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Have a 2009 Focus as the main family car, 110,000 miles. Will have to trade it in as it is a nightmare with 4 kids, shopping and a buggy.

A Galaxy or something similar is definitely on the cards.

My own personal project then is a 2001 Puma.

Rust has eaten into the underbody, she's the 1.7 vct model.got quoted €7/800 to fix it so I'll be doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

skodacb wrote: »
    My current payment on the 1.6 was working out at €393 per month. That was at a 3.9℅ APR. The RS is working out at €411 at 0%

My 141 Octavia Elegance OTR price at the time was €28k. The RS I got down from €34k to €32k.

My trade in value was originally €13,500, but managed to get €15,000 less the €11,000 owed on the car meant nearly €4,000 as deposit.

So 32,000-4,000= €28,000, GMFV of €13,5000 for the RS taken from the €28,000 totals €14,500 over 36 = €402 per month.

Man maths! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I'll probably keep the civic, happy with it and haven't grown bored yet. Although, in the last few years I've changed quite often. Have a few subtle mods planned throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Senecio wrote: »
    If I was better organised I would have bought something tasty here (large capacity, petrol, high tax). But unless I can show that I have owned it for >13 months I'll have to pay tax on it when importing it into NZ. As it is I'm saving a bucket taking one of our cars. I have 2013 Skoda Yeti full of extras. Probably worth about 14-15K EUR here. To buy the same car in NZ would cost ~20K and with the VRT rebate there's another 5K back in my pocket. It's only costing me 2K to transport it.

Ah. You're more organised than most! Good luck with the move

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Wife's father has a 1960s russian zaparozec (fiat 500 type) that we hope to bring over from Lithuania this year. She's wanted it for ages so bit of money to fix the engine, road trip there and back and here's hoping. Still got 364 days to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

neris wrote: »
    Wife's father has a 1960s russian zaparozec (fiat 500 type) that we hope to bring over from Lithuania this year. She's wanted it for ages so bit of money to fix the engine, road trip there and back and here's hoping. Still got 364 days to do it

Labas. :)

Zapas would be interesting, but I woukd much prefer volga from Lithuania. Preferably black. :)
    I wouldn't drive it from Lithuania to Ireland though, way to unpredictable classic.

As for my own plans:

As all know and already annoyed - change my alfa to something more stupid. I am still on the search and it's driving me crazy. Damn Xmas should be finished after women's little Xmas, so I might actually be able to take that 3 weeks of holidays still owned from 2016! I'll use this time to check a few cars in relaxed state.
    Hopefully in February I will be driving something weird and stupid again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

The Superb gets replaced by a Sharan* in five weeks. My back is looking forward to the van doors.

*What a terrible name for a car.

How'd you find the superb and what model - looking to move from a touareg into a superb elegance estate but still on the fence re: the skoda not about exporting the touareg.

80s Child wrote: »
    Ah. You're more organised than most! Good luck with the move

Already have it booked in at a local Skoda dealer to have the NZ maps installed on the SatNav when we get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Sell my wife's old a3. Served us well, but she spins to Sligo with the kids a lot, so looking to update..

Plan to bring a 2013ish a7 in from uk.. 25k all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I'm interested in getting a dashcam wired up. Car will be staying. Civic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Phil.x wrote: »
    I'm interested in getting a dashcam wired up. Car will be staying. Civic.

What type of Civic have you?

Advertisement