Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car plans for 2017.

Options
  • 01-01-2017 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭
    Unregistered Users

Alright folks, I think it's the right moment to share your thoughts in terms of what you expect this year - new car, new mods, or even just to keep your current one as long as you need. All opinions are welcome! :D

Now, let me start it:

Yet another year I'm gonna keep my good old one alive. Although I successfully did the same last year, it wasn't cheap this time - apart from normal wear and tear items plus fuel, oil, insurance, tax etc. this time had to do an engine overhaul, so one thousand euro on top of all the uswual things. Anyway, it's a keeper, at least for next 2 or 3 years. And I really love it.

===========================

Last year's thread here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I'm going to keep the oul trusty Yaris. It's current mileage is 151,800 so I'm hoping I'll keep it for 2017 and many more years. to come. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Good idea.

I'm keeping the vRS might never let her go we have been in 2 crashes 1 bad and one a little scrape nothing to worry about as previous damage covered it well....

Its been a phenomenal work horse and got me anywhere without fail and over 160k miles still absolutely smooth to drive.

I bought a new android stereo so need to get that in as the bog standard stream had no option of even adding aux port.

I'm looking forward to hopefully getting a new toy such as a Lexus maybe even a hybrid version as they are tempting but one things is a lot of stories of battery failure so its something to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Try to keep current car as a daily. At 152,000 miles now, sweet as a nut but the fear is always there! (04 S2000).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I am nearly afraid to say anything as every year I say I will keep the car for the year and ever year I end up changing it :pac:

So anyway since I only have it a month (since we are all giving current mileages 5,900km) I am definitely going to keep the Leon for the year ;) As for mods not a whole lot planned only thing I have done with it is put fitted mudflaps front and rear and that's all I had planned. Dear I say that maybe all I will do with it for the whole year is put petrol in it and service it that would be a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Will be keeping my 02 Bora TDI, had it from new never missed a beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

job seeker wrote: »
    I'm going to keep the oul trusty Yaris. It's current mileage is 151,800 so I'm hoping I'll keep it for 2017 and many more years. to come. :)

Work colleague has a 01 yaris with savage miles on it, clutch has been going for 3 years but it still won't stop. Brilliant little car.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Now, let me start it:

Yet another year I'm gonna keep my good old one alive.

As a car enthusiast I totally get your fondness and appreciation you have for your corolla and That sentimental value attached. It just like me and my Yaris. My friends can't get over how I like it so much. To them it's just a slow ball of metal. But to me it's so much more. It's the car I learned to drive in, it takes me up and home from college, it's modified how I want it, it's an extension of my character and personality and ultimately it's my escape from reality. It enables me to go for a drive and to think over aspects of every day life. Finally, it's the car I always turn around and look back at as I walk away. 2016 has been filled with adventures in the Yaris and if 2017 provides similar or better experiences I'll toast to that. :cool:

Work colleague has a 01 yaris with savage miles on it, clutch has been going for 3 years but it still won't stop. Brilliant little car.

Ya they are pretty robust similar to your Tdi bora. My friend has a 1l Yaris with 170,688 miles on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Gonna keep the vRS this year anyway. Wedding has torpedoed any plans on that front. No hassle in nearly 50k, just service it as it needs it.

Probably need to either fix herselfs civic up (she pranged it Christmas eve) or replace it. Until she pranged it the plan was to give her the Skoda but I don't think I could stomach seeing what would happen to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

Didn't get the M3 nor the 630i, but we can thank insurance companies for that.
    Got an E60 520i so semi-win.

Plans are:
    February/March - Get the E60 ready for NCT
    March - Service the Almera and get it insured (€140 for 6 months, so expense)
    July/August - Sell the Almera, replace it with an E39 540i or an E38 750i. Also see Gumball 2017 in Warsaw in the meantime.
    October/November - LCI kit for the E60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Warning: long and probably boring post so skip over if you wish.

Let me start by saying I'm in no way a car enthusiast it do like them and due to limited funds tend to buy for practical reasons.

Got a 2012 Passat Highline around the end of August last year(just over 4 months ago) and I have mixed feelings about it and have toyed with the idea of changing it again in 2017, even though I don't have the funds.

Firstly the car is very comfortable with a really nice spec, drives well and is very economical. It's quite luxurious for what I'm usually used to. Love the hill hold, auto wipers/lights all that sort of stuff.

The thing is there's a few minor annoyances. The car has been back 3 times to the VW dealer since I had it. I noticed early on a rattle coming from somewhere in the back. Like the sound of rattling metal. Not mechanical sounding, more like a cage vibrating, if that makes sense. Searched high and low but couldn't find the cause. Brought it back, took one of their mechanics for a spin and he noticed the noise straight away. So I left it in while they investigated further. I told them I thought it may be the metal part on the top part of the inside of the boot as it seemed to have a bit of movement in it if you prodded it. Anyway they took it in and rang me the next day to tell me they thought it was the triangle in the boot lid that wasn't seated properly and they had sorted it. Of course it wasn't that and the issue was still there. Sent it back again and they said it was the cigarette charger lid in between the seats and ordered a replacement. That was fitted when it arrived in and didn't sort it. In the meantime the air compnditioning started making a noise like something was caught in it. Back in again it goes and they replaced the unit as they thought it may be failing. They also put some tape in between the cables that run along the top of the boot that release the back seats and the metal part above where I suspected the rattling was coming from. That seems to sort that problem.
    Next, when I was cleaning off some bird **** from the passenger side rear bumper I noticed that it was lose and so had to send it back in again! They told me that a plastic piece holding it to the body of the car had snapped and needed to be replaced. They said it might not be covered under the warranty as it should not fail and must have been caused by an impact. I argued my case(no collisions or impacts in the short time I had the car) and they said they'd see what they can do. I contacted the salesman that sold me the car and explained what had happened and he told me he would sort it and not to worry as I repeatedly pointed out I was three months into a twelve month warranty.

Anyway picked the car up and was told after reviewing it, it wasn't covered under warranty and they charged me €115 to fix it. The part cost €12.50. I let them know in no uncertain terms how I felt and told them that would be the last money they get from me.

So it was all minor stuff but pretty annoying and the last incident really left me pissed off with the vw dealer and I intend to get the car serviced elsewhere when it's due etc and won't buy from them again. The car still has some rattles in it. In ththe dash at times and the doors as well. Just those annoying rattles.
    So I'm really considering changing the car at some time next year, even though the problems have been minor. It still drives very nicely and as said is well spec,d but the little niggles pissed me off(the rattling)and especially the dealership and their treatment of me, which leaves me with sort of bad feelings about the car. I paid cash for it and had intended to drive it for 4-5 years but sometimes things don't feel the right fit and I'm wondering if that is the case with me. I'm gonna see how it goes and make a decision either way in the first half of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Black E39:
    -NCT it - Done.
    -New Wheels - Done.
    -Coilovers or Suspension Refresh - Done Both.
    -Fix Engine Leak - Done.
    -Full Service - Done.

Red E39:
    -New Bumper
    -Wheel Speed Sensor
    -MFSW
    -NCT it
    -Try for a Classic Insurance Policy

So from last year I did what I planned with the daily, sold the red one :pac:

This year:

Saloon:
    -NCT
    -Finally Fix PDC
    -ESS Twinscrew Supercharger(Over this year and probably next :))

Estate:
    -NCT it
    -Classic Policy
    -Haul Dog

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Drive zed till late summer. Replace with a new hot hatch in 172

Drive zed till late summer. Replace with a new hot hatch in 172

so much hassle. :D

Seriously though, the 350z is such a nice car. Straight pipe her and you might keep her. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

After owning the Passat for 1 year I'd say it will probably still be with me throughout 2017.
    Hasn't given as much hassle as I'd feared and it's a comfortable cruiser.
    Bought it with 190k odd on the clock and now is nearing 220k so I'm stuck in diesel territory :/
    I've got a bit of a hankering though for a high powered TSI... Passat is fully comp so maybe if I take a bend a bit too quickly I'll get a petrol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

07 passat with 140k miles in it here. Going okay but need to split things up as it's doing too much farm work with it so will get a van for work and then another car solely for private use. The van will happen this year not sure when or what I'll get for private use. Milage would be low so thinking of going older and higher spec. The luxobarge thread would have me thinking alright but wouldn't be great in terms of fixing things. If/when I figure out a budget ill be back here for opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The Superb gets replaced by a Sharan* in five weeks. My back is looking forward to the van doors.

*What a terrible name for a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

I'll keep my '99 Camry for as long as it keeps ticking over, seeing as how I can't afford anything newer. I can't remember what obnoxious milage it's done, it's not pretty or fast, it's fairly easy on fuel, and just keeps going (fingers crossed).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I might wash it once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

Planning on buying a Saab 93 in the next week or two. Thankfully it's been owned by one of my dads mechanic friends. Was his daily car so is well look after. Planned on running my clio into the ground, but taking my insurance, tax, and general usage into account, it isn't going to cost much more to run a 1.9 diesel :rolleyes: And it drives like a dream!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

hope to import a year old car from UK, think there will be great value to be had over the next 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

The Superb gets replaced by a Sharan* in five weeks. My back is looking forward to the van doors.

*What a terrible name for a car.

"A1"........

Sharon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

All change Back to petrol for me. Seeing what a 1 litre engine can do these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Might change car in 2017
    It has to get timing belt done

Tried to sell it in 2016. Not even one phonecall for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Planning to maintain and keep my SAAB 9-5 Estate. Love the perfect combination of comfort and performance.
    May sell the second car as I can't really justify two cars considering my new work would be 5 min drive or a short cycle from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Might change car in 2017
    It has to get timing belt done

Tried to sell it in 2016. Not even one phonecall for some reason.

What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'll be keeping my 05 Fiesta. Bought it in July 2015 to learn to drive, passed the test in it in January. Hasn't given me any trouble. People keep asking my when I'm going to buy a "nice" car now that I can drive. Can't see any reason to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

remap ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Will probably keep the V40 for the year but you never know what could happen.

Advertisement