Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking Out [RTÉ1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I've never watched, and never will watch, an episode of "Love Hate" despite liking Irish made drama, but if I want "Love Hate" I can switch to Paul Williams on Newstalk Breakfast anytime...:(

You're missing out on an excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

eamonnq wrote: »
    Why not ?:confused:

Because the news media is awash with crime and drugs stories and I don't need a soap opera about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

RTE selling off land so they can keep paying tubbers

Because the news media is awash with crime and drugs stories and I don't need a soap opera about it.

It's absolutely not a soap opera of any kind.

It's absolutely not a soap opera of any kind.

What would call it then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

What would call it then?

A poor drama?

What would call it then?

A drama series as that's exactly what it is. For someone who has never seen it, are you really in a position to qualify its genre?

A drama series as that's exactly what it is. For someone who has never seen it, are you really in a position to qualify its genre?

Eh yes, I've read plenty about and heard enough reviews of it to understand what it's about - then there's Google, IMDB etc. Would "Fair City" be a drama series or a Soap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Eh yes, I've read plenty about and heard enough reviews of it to understand what it's about - then there's Google, IMDB etc. Would "Fair City" be a drama series or a Soap?

Love Hate is not a soap. What sort of nonsense are you spouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 GroodyL

Is there only four episodes of this show?

• Advertisement

GroodyL wrote: »

There were only 4 episodes in Season.1.

Love Hate is not a soap. What sort of nonsense are you spouting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_opera

Yes..... that is the wikipedia link of soap opera. Well done.

Yes..... that is the wikipedia link of soap opera. Well done.

It's a link to help explain what a soap opera is - I thought that you might find it useful. :P

It's a link to help explain what a soap opera is - I thought that you might find it useful. :P

It is ironic, or maybe just coincidental that the one person who has admitted he has never watched a show is the one person who seems to categorise it as a soap opera, despite, I repeat, having not ever watched it!! Anyway, run along!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

GroodyL wrote: »

Hopefully!!

It is ironic, or maybe just coincidental that the one person who has admitted he has never watched a show is the one person who seems to categorise it as a soap opera, despite, I repeat, having not ever watched it!! Anyway, run along!

No need to be so damn patronising. Anyway, just because it only managed 25 episodes doesn't make it any less of a soap than Coronation Street, Emmerdale or Fair City. Suck it up!

PS I've just inflicted the trailer for Season.1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IipMYjcStwg on myself - that's quite enough.

I've read plenty about performing heart surgery, doesn't really mean I've the adequate experience to perform it or give expert analysis though?

It is not a soap. Fair City is on TV about 4 times a week for the last 30 or 40 years. The storylines change and the characters change and move on.

Love/Hate follows a very tightly focused storyline about one particular set of people for one particular time. It doesn't run on without those characters.

Season One has low production values due to costs, lack of funding and the fact it was just developing itself at that point. It gets much tighter in terms of production values following that. And the acting is incredible from some of the main characters, Nidge in particular. One of the original cast members has now broken Hollywood and is up for an Oscar, another was just cast as the lead in the next Peter Jackson blockbuster - Love/Hate has serious raw talent.

It is very narrow minded to judge something before watching it, some would even call it stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Can't believe they are recommissioning this. It was laughably bad, but since when did RTE care about quality?

Its strange that RTE decide to get rid of all their in-house children's programming, yet are able to find a vast amount of money (possibly millions) to fund a poor quality 4 part series that takes up all of 4 hours of their annual output.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

They probably had a coffee with Amy and asked if she was up for series 2.

"Are you?"

"I am"

"OK, done".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Talon Raspy Bather

Can't believe they are recommissioning this. It was laughably bad, but since when did RTE care about quality?

Its strange that RTE decide to get rid of all their in-house children's programming, yet are able to find a vast amount of money (possibly millions) to fund a poor quality 4 part series that takes up all of 4 hours of their annual output.

If Amy wants to do it, she'll do it...wonder if she wasn't involved would it be still on....RTE has some fascination with her or thinks the public wants more amy

The reviews were hilarious! Completely bipolar! All the positive ones were over the top appraisals and, coincidentally were written by "journalists" or "celebrities" in Amy's circle or RTE's propoganda machine, THe Independent (Prime Example: http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/best-tv-in-ages-amy-hubermans-new-drama-striking-out-was-a-roaring-success-last-night-35335396.html)

while most of the rest were complete criticism laden mock pieces, mainly acknowledging the lack of originality, the blatant character plagiarism and the cliche characters. plot development, circumstances and dialogue.

Point out one plot development or situation or character personality and I guarantee you I can link it to across the water (east or west) legal dramas.

It said a lot that the most positive appraisals were the cinematography

Have the viewing figures been released?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Huberman's been in 3 (I think) RTE series this past year or so. Must be a nice safe paycheck.

Oh, I did like Neil Morrisey's presence but his body language, lack of energy and enthusiasm in the role smacked of disinterested and "grab the pay day and run" style acting

At least Huberman and Emmett Byrne seemed invested in their character

Huberman's been in 3 (I think) RTE series this past year or so. Must be a nice safe paycheck.

I like Amy Huberman as a person, she seems lovely and grounded, a real girl next door type of girl, a complete contrast to O'Driscoll's former missus but she will never be a top actress (but, yeah, she has a good agent!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

My guess is that Amy's fee probably isn't that high, and that it suits all parties. She wants to stay here in Dublin, have a bit of regular work for probably a decent bit of cash in relative terms, and the producers have a popular, go to individual who won't break their bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

Only watched all of this over the past couple of days. Mother of god. Tripe doesn't cover it. This was the first thing I ever saw Huberman act in. Is that what they hype's about?

Only watched all of this over the past couple of days. Mother of god. Tripe doesn't cover it. This was the first thing I ever saw Huberman act in. Is that what they hype's about?

its because she's dricos wife and women mainly seem to find her lovely on social media, aspiring her life ....she's fairly wooden actress, and ive noticed a lot of her shows get cut fairly early- its a surprise to me Cant Cope and this are continuing

Her PR/marketing team must be well paid for the overexposure of her

its because she's dricos wife and women mainly seem to find her lovely on social media, aspiring her life ....she's fairly wooden actress, and ive noticed a lot of her shows get cut fairly early- its a surprise to me Cant Cope and this are continuing

Her PR/marketing team must be well paid for the overexposure of her

And you know this how?

• Advertisement

And you know this how?

might've popped up in the indo once iirc :D

Advertisement