Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking Out [RTÉ1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Am I the only one here who likes Room to Improve? :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

ligerdub wrote: »

yes dermot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rasher2903

Other suggestions : - Brush Tara/Amy's hair...it's knotty like a 6 year old in the playground....give her a Mars bar and a pair of jeans long enough for her....develop Cafe Guy's character, bit of eye candy for the gals....get rid of Bob the Builder, can't see the point in his character, stop introducing complicated story lines in each episode and using far fetched crazy embarrassingly cringey cliched solutions to solve them. The main thrust of the story line (I thought!) was a heartbroken solicitor 'striking out' on her own while trying to cope with the end of her relationship/job/future. All these madly complicated storylines with unreal endings just totally distract from the main theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

No I like room to improve. .Far better than amy "long silent stare" huberman and this nonsensical series ( of 4 unconnected, equally badly written legal tales )

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

Was it the case that Love Hate was written and directed by people outside of RTE? And RTE just produced it?

Is it the case that all the crap shows are written by RTE staff?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 williejoe33

The script does not work ,it's as simple as that.You could cast Brendan Gleeson in a leading role in this and it still would be sho1te!

fwiw I think Huberman is a poor actress,she can not carry a production on her own.She has no presence,cannot do vulnerability to get the audience on her side and want her to win.

But what do I know?My wife and teenage daughter liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

jezzer wrote: »
    strumpet city was certainly a one off, however bachelors walk was a very good production and of course love/hate but these are the exceptions unfortunately, however i will commend them for trying, clean break was decent, striking out was watchable, rebellion was poor but anything is better than dermot bannon room to improve

The thing with Strumpet City though was that it was based on a wonderful book. That makes things easier.

"Pure Mule" and "Love is the Drug" were reasonably good attempts by RTE at drama series. I dont remember them too well now but I am pretty sure they were watchable and I enjoyed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

ligerdub wrote: »
    vkid wrote: »
    No I like room to improve. .Far better than amy "long silent stare" huberman and this nonsensical series ( of 4 unconnected, equally badly written legal tales )

At least Room To Improve is not nasty and spiteful like a lot of the other reality things are. I would take it before Dragon's Den, The Voice of Ireland, Dancing With The Stars or Operation Transformation any day. I'm sure bloomin' Dragon's Den is what will come on after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Dancing With The Stars is just awful though, there is vague potenial to this stuff, even if the first series was dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Dancing With The Stars is just awful though, there is vague potenial to this stuff, even if the first series was dire.

I'd much prefer a second series of Striking Out than a second series of Dancing With The Dances for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'l say this for Amy Huberman. No other Irish actress has perfected the staring off into the distance while mascara runs down their face look like she has.

The thing with Strumpet City though was that it was based on a wonderful book. That makes things easier.

"Pure Mule" and "Love is the Drug" were reasonably good attempts by RTE at drama series. I dont remember them too well now but I am pretty sure they were watchable and I enjoyed them.

ah yes pule mule was very very good

The script does not work ,it's as simple as that.You could cast Brendan Gleeson in a leading role in this and it still would be sho1te!

fwiw I think Huberman is a poor actress,she can not carry a production on her own.She has no presence,cannot do vulnerability to get the audience on her side and want her to win.

But what do I know?My wife and teenage daughter liked it.

i have to agree, she is very limited as an actress which didnt help the show, its obvious they cast her to get the show a bit of stir in the media because of who she is... i never actually see her as a serious actor, shes ok for bits of comedy, light hearted stuff but she cant carry a drama series

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

i have to agree, she is very limited as an actress which didnt help the show, its obvious they cast her to get the show a bit of stir in the media because of who she is... i never actually see her as a serious actor, shes ok for bits of comedy, light hearted stuff but she cant carry a drama series

But it is a 'light hearted' series.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    But it is a 'light hearted' series.

its meant to be a drama!

its meant to be a drama!

A 'light hearted' drama but you win. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Nothing 'light hearted' about it according to RTE:

Drama series set in the world of Ireland's legal system. A shock discovery leaves solicitor Tara Rafferty striking out on her own, both professionally and personally.

light hearted drama not a farcical drama!! lets call it a draw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Could hardly be light hearted with the stuff it goes with for topics.

Could hardly be light hearted with the stuff it goes with for topics.

bigamy, sex addition and drug abuse are light hearted enough :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

vkid wrote: »

If there is going to be another version of Striking Out could we have an episode where Dermot Bannon designs an extension for Miss Long Stare but the builder blocks her in behind a big wall for the rest of the series. Only saying.....

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    If there is going to be another version of Striking Out could we have an episode where Dermot Bannon designs an extension for Miss Long Stare but the builder blocks her in behind a big wall for the rest of the series. Only saying.....

I think Bannon was carrying out the renovation work in episode 2 as it was shaping up to be a dogs dinner...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Radio5

Anyone remember 'the Clinic' ? I thought it was decent enough Sunday night drama, although it flagged after they killed of Aisling O'Sullivan's character (the lead female GP, can't recall her name).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I liked The Clinic, Aisling O'Sullivan's character was Cathy and she went on to be a main character in Raw, another series I really enjoyed.
    Another series of Striking Out could be good with a few changes, including a bit of a longer run - 4 weeks just isn't enough in terms of character development etc although at the pace of the first 4 episodes it'd take a good few series to pin everyone down as anything more than a bunch of cliches! I do think it has potential though.

in fAirness there were a few decent programmes such as the clinic, pure mule, on home ground, bachelors walk etc

dermot bannon on the late late show tonight, FFS, and what is RTEs obsession with travellers? they had the traveller character from love/hate on tommy tiernan last night and a couple more travellers on the late late tonight with the same old shtick, oh we are victimised, we are a nice bunch of people, we are treated badly..... i'm sick of it, no other such group can act like they do and yet get the air time they do, we are not stupid, they go around robbing all around them, copper wire and the like, they terrorise old folk, they cause utter mayhem everywhere they go, destroy public houses, yet we are all supposed to turn around and feel that they are being victimised? come off it, come back to me when your people can have a bit of manners and abide by the laws of the land. (p.s. of course not all of them are like that but it is the majority not the minority as they would point out.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Of course the first episode is already taken down from RTÉ Player. I don't buy DVDs anymore (not of shows I haven't watched already certainly), it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,868 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

kala85 wrote: »
    Would anyone else love another series of love hate instead of this

Yes a prequel with everyone back

There was no characters in Striking Out to care about, found them all flawed and irritating

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes a prequel with everyone back

There was no characters in Striking Out to care about, found them all flawed and irritating

I've never watched, and never will watch, an episode of "Love Hate" despite liking Irish made drama, but if I want "Love Hate" I can switch to Paul Williams on Newstalk Breakfast anytime...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I've never watched, and never will watch, an episode of "Love Hate" despite liking Irish made drama, but if I want "Love Hate" I can switch to Paul Williams on Newstalk Breakfast anytime...:(

Why not ?:confused:

Advertisement