Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2017 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I see Wozniacki lost her 6th final of the year yesterday. She's having a great year and at the same time having a terrible year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Wozniacki is so frustrating. She is not going to win playing on the counter attack, she needs to an attack part to her game. I cant believe she still hasnt made that change. Madness. I would love to see her win a slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Floppybits wrote: »
    Wozniacki is so frustrating. She is not going to win playing on the counter attack, she needs to an attack part to her game. I cant believe she still hasnt made that change. Madness. I would love to see her win a slam.
    She's likable so I hope she wins a slam too but her game is devoid of any weapons. Much the same as in Andy Murray actually but he's just better at that type of game.

As for Federer - I'd be happy if he skipped Cinci at this stage and focused on the USO to get back to full recovery.

She's back up to 5th in the world today. I think she's in the running for year end #1. Going into the US Open, no Serena, no Azarenka, probably no Sharapova, she has as much chance as the rest of them.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

She's likable so I hope she wins a slam too but her game is devoid of any weapons. Much the same as in Andy Murray actually but he's just better at that type of game.

As for Federer - I'd be happy if he skipped Cinci at this stage and focused on the USO to get back to full recovery.

Murray? Devoid of any weapons? Really?

So excited about Zverev, only 20 and second masters of the year. Finally we have someone able to step up. Being able to cut it over best of five is the next hurdle, but I absolutely believe in him. Big contender for the US Open!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Fed out of Cincy.

Fed out of Cincy.

Nadal returns to #1 as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I'm really not sure why federer played Canada in the first place. 3 big tournaments in a few weeks was extremely ambitious

If this injury carries through to the us open it really could be a free for all. I'm still expecting murray to withdraw

Murray? Devoid of any weapons? Really?
    Not in the traditional sense like a big Forehand/Backhand/Serve. I guess you could call his return of serve and change of direction weapons.
    So excited about Zverev, only 20 and second masters of the year. Finally we have someone able to step up. Being able to cut it over best of five is the next hurdle, but I absolutely believe in him. Big contender for the US Open!
    I hope some others step up before Zverev does (most notably Kyrgios), his game is far too passive and safe for me to call it entertaining. I'd prefer his brother Mischa's game so much more than his.

Sharapova given WC for US Open. Hasn't played since before the French, I think? Will be interesting to see of her injury clears up by then.

• Advertisement

I hope some others step up before Zverev does (most notably Kyrgios), his game is far too passive and safe for me to call it entertaining. I'd prefer his brother Mischa's game so much more than his.

There's something a bit meh about zverev alright, that I can't really place

I'd love a personality like kyrgios to start winning big events

Sharapova given WC for US Open. Hasn't played since before the French, I think? Will be interesting to see of her injury clears up by then.
    Definitely the right call. She will attract much more of a crowd & viewership and aside from the drug scandal is a very popular player. No brainer.

I'll be keeping a close eye on Muguruza's progress and see if she can step up her hard court game. I was a fan of hers for a few years but after Wimbly I can see myself really root for her after hearing more of her press conferences.

She's back up to 5th in the world today. I think she's in the running for year end #1. Going into the US Open, no Serena, no Azarenka, probably no Sharapova, she has as much chance as the rest of them.
    I can't see her winning the US Open she just doesn't have the power or the weapons to trouble the top players.  She is not going to grind the top players down.  I like Wozniacki, she is good for the game and I would love her to win a Slam but her faults have been plain to see for a few years now and she hasn't improved, nor has she made the backroom changes that need to be made to add that missing pieces to her game.  The fact she has brought Serena's hitting partner on board this year is good but she really needs to bring in a coach to add a little something to her game.

Delighted to see kyrgios playing great stuff again. Declined Nadal no match for a fully firing Nick on hard. Hope he takes the title now

An interesting return to form for Ferrer it must be said. Interesting indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Top stuff by Mugu.

Also fair play to Dolgo, around 1/5 or so he opens up at and goes off close to 7/4 today, nothing to see here obviously. :pac:

Plenty of commentary on twitter about it.

Amazing scenes, Dolgo lost. :pac:

Very interesting to see what happens here though as it did not look good at all for Dolgo.

Youd have to be very naive to think match fixing isnt rife in tennis

Anyhow first masters for dimitrov. Sadly I cant see it affecting his mentality v big 4 at all though :(

What happened in the Women's final in Cincinniti?  Was Halep injured or ill or something?

What happened in the Women's final in Cincinniti?  Was Halep injured or ill or something?

I think she just flopped. She was playing for the #1 ranking, again, it doesn't seem to agree with her.

I think she just flopped. She was playing for the #1 ranking, again, it doesn't seem to agree with her.
    The number 1 ranking doesn't seem to agree with a lot of the top women players who are not called Serena.

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Youd have to be very naive to think match fixing isnt rife in tennis

Anyhow first masters for dimitrov. Sadly I cant see it affecting his mentality v big 4 at all though :(

I think most are aware fixing happens in tennis, but feel its mainly lower level stuff. The atp/wta fixes are normally rare and much more subtle than what we seen last night.
    Its been investigated, nothing I assume will come of it as Dolgo will have covered his tracks.

https://twitter.com/stu_fraser/status/899595500474839040

A pretty good explanation of what went down last night for those unfamiliar with the story.

https://twitter.com/sportdw/status/899380804899545090

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

US Open thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Sharapova not exactly covering herself in glory here.

https://twitter.com/scienceofsport/status/908448934732984320

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Jana Fett looks an up and coming star. Seen her earlier in the season and was impressed, then went quiet for a bit but playing top stuff again in Tokyo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Just watched the Fed/Nadal doubles match there. Entertaining stuff!

They wouldn't hold up against a proper team but still it's something I'd like to see more of.

Very pleased with how Ostapenko has fared since winning RG, she's backed it up pretty well. Still not a world beater or anything, but a Wimbledon QF, Seoul title and now Wuhan QF's at least is good enough for me. Excited to see what she can do in Singapore!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Zverev beaten by Dzumhur in Shenzen (that's a lot of z's)... maybe he's overhyped after all

Zverev beaten by Dzumhur in Shenzen (that's a lot of z's)... maybe he's overhyped after all

Or maybe it's the end of the season and he hasn't scheduled very well. He was playing Laver Cup last week, and is playing in Beijing and Shanghai in the next couple of weeks. He had no business being in Shenzen this week.

Halep finally gets a win over Sharapova

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Dan Evans received a 1 year ban for testing positive for cocaine yesterday. It's been backdated so he can play again from 24th April 2018.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/03/dan-evans-banned-for-year-positive-cocaine-test

Advertisement