Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2017 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

2001 winner, Goran has Murray at 4th favorite for SW19. Nadal as favorite and Fedrerr at 2 annd Cilic at 3....

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

James McGee playing world #172 in Wimbledon qualies today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

James McGee playing world #172 in Wimbledon qualies today.
    Was 1-4 down in the final set but wins the last 5 games.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Was 1-4 down in the final set but wins the last 5 games.

Great to hear, usually it goes the other way around.

Great to hear, usually it goes the other way around.
    Now it's no. 92 Rublev in the 2nd round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Now it's no. 92 Rublev in the 2nd round.
    No. 92!?! What is the direct entry cut-off?

Johnmb wrote: »
    No. 92!?! What is the direct entry cut-off?
    It's the top 105, but Rublev was 118 at the entry cut-off date on May 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

jr86 wrote: »
    Handy win for Federer in the end, no chance of any rust now heading into Wimbledon

He's the most likely winner given the form of Murray and Novak. It might be the best chance since the US Open 2014 though of a new winner but then again not all that much candidates jump out. In terms of non-Wimbledon winners Raonic and Kyrgios are struggling with form and fitness and Cilic can't ever be overly trusted. Zverev isn't there yet while Stan and Thiem mainly struggle on the low bouncing, quicker grass
    Federer was looking quite a bit rusty (no surprise given his break) up until the final but man did he make Zverev look ordinary, really impressive performance all things considered.

I agree the 'new generation' are still nowhere near the list of favourites but this might be the first year at Wimbledon in a while where the 'Big Four' don't dominate as much and we could end up with an unexpected finalist. I honestly expect Federer to make the final at minimum, given his form this year and pure drive to win that 8th title, which if he wins I imagine he'll announce his retirement at year's end.

Murray is certainly his main competitor, though Novak and Rafa are still capable of pulling a great run out of their arse. Djoko has had a shockingly poor start to the season, no doubt he'll be desperate to set it right. He's beaten Fed twice in Wimby finals so he can still definitely threaten. Rafa is a total wildcard, in spite of his own great season on grass he's a totally different player. I hope Fed wins his 8th just to seal his GOAT credentials without doubt.

Arytonblue wrote: »
    Federer was looking quite a bit rusty (no surprise given his break) up until the final but man did he make Zverev look ordinary, really impressive performance all things considered.

I agree the 'new generation' are still nowhere near the list of favourites but this might be the first year at Wimbledon in a while where the 'Big Four' don't dominate as much and we could end up with an unexpected finalist. I honestly expect Federer to make the final at minimum, given his form this year and pure drive to win that 8th title, which if he wins I imagine he'll announce his retirement at year's end.

Murray is certainly his main competitor, though Novak and Rafa are still capable of pulling a great run out of their arse. Djoko has had a shockingly poor start to the season, no doubt he'll be desperate to set it right. He's beaten Fed twice in Wimby finals so he can still definitely threaten. Rafa is a total wildcard, in spite of his own great season on grass he's a totally different player. I hope Fed wins his 8th just to seal his GOAT credentials without doubt.

I'd be shocked if he were to win at least two slams this year and then retire, especially with Nadal declining and Djokovic in limbo. If he's still able to compete at the highest level, which right now he is, retirement may be a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

I'd be shocked if he were to win at least two slams this year and then retire, especially with Nadal declining and Djokovic in limbo. If he's still able to compete at the highest level, which right now he is, retirement may be a while yet.
    I'm just basing it on his own language so far this year, the way he said this could be his last year to win Halle, and the fact that this might be the last year he could truly compete at an elite level of tennis. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Roger play for years, I just think that if he conquered Wimbledon one last time he might call it a day, with his legacy totally intact. Hope I'm wrong :o

• Advertisement

Arytonblue wrote: »
    the way he said this could be his last year to win Halle
    Yeah I thought that was a strange comment myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

You do realise that Nadal has just won a 15th Grand Slam at the FO, doing so without dropping a set, playing a brand of tennis which some have labelled as his best ever. He also made the AO final. Ridiculous comment.

You do realise that Nadal has just won a 15th Grand Slam at the FO, doing so without dropping a set, playing a brand of tennis which some have labelled as his best ever. He also made the AO final. Ridiculous comment.

Whaaaaat! I had no idea!!! 1! :rolleyes:

Yes, he's getting great results this year, but overall he's been declining for 2-3 years now. His results this year (and Federer's) have been greatly assisted by both Djokovic's and Murray's sub-par form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Yes, he's getting great results this year, but overall he's been declining for 2-3 years now. His results this year (and Federer's) have been greatly assisted by both Djokovic's and Murray's sub-par form.

I just find it hard to believe that, coming off one of the most impressive clay campaigns ever, you can say Nadal is declining. You're obviously entitled to that opinion, but anyone who has watched much of his play this year would agree that it is an impressive return to form. In fact, his serve and BH are better than ever, so it could be argued his all round game is the best it's been. He was clearly in some state of decline in 2015 & 2016, but looks a completely different player again now.

Nole's form has nothing to do with Fed and Nadal playing top of their form tennis.

Can you point to any version of Fed that would be better than the Oz version? You could mention the 2006/2007 version as regards being a huger success, but actually a better player is up for debate.

Same for Nadal there and in RG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

While Nadal's clay form is as good as it's ever been, it's not enough to say he's truly back to his best overall really. The only real difference between this clay season and last is he got injured at RG last year. His other tournaments played out in quite similar fashion except he lost in Madrid to an inspired murray

His AO run is a little overrated for me. Peak nadal would never need 5 sets to beat the overhyped dimitrov and he was second best for long periods v zverev till fatigue affected the latter. He really didn't have to beat much to make a final. He was beaten handy by Federer at Miami and IW

The true measure of Nadal will be now till the end of the season. The conditions are mainly quicker from here on in and at every big event left he has had various struggles in over the years.

walshb wrote: »
    Nole's form has nothing to do with Fed and Nadal playing top of their form tennis.

To be fair fed strolled through the rounds at wdon 14 and 15, USO 15 and AO 16 only to be beaten by Djokovic each time, and in some cases beaten well.

His AO run to the final this year was less comprehensive - he did win two 5 setters. At wimbledon 2015 he didn't even drop serve for example

jr86 wrote: »
    To be fair fed strolled through the rounds at wdon 14 and 15, USO 15 and AO 16 only to be beaten by Djokovic each time, and in some cases beaten well.

His AO run to the final this year was less comprehensive - he did win two 5 setters. At wimbledon 2015 he didn't even drop serve for example

But that still doesn't show or dispute that his tennis performances the last 6 months have not been up to his peak level.

We can never know for sure, but what I saw in the Oz final was exemplary tennis against a very strong Nadal.

Was Federer sharper, faster, stronger etc than he was in his "prime years?"

Can't answer that as it's not answerable by only using statistics like games lost or serves lost or matches won etc etc.

Similar to Johnny Mac in 1984. A monster year, one of tennis's greatest ever for a male player. But would the 1984 Mac have beaten himself in 1990? From what I saw of both on the court I would say the 1990-1992 Mac was actually stronger and overall better. Sure, 1984 was far more successful, but that's a different story. The game (and Mac) changed between 1984 and 1990...Go watch the tapes....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I doubt if McGee will get to play his second round qualifying match today. The match on his court is mid way through the first set and looking at the game on Eurosport the light doesn't look too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

McGee and Rublev on court. It's on serve, 2-2 all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

He's making a fight of it. I thought he was finished after losing the first set 3-6, but he's taken the second 6-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Lost 2-6 in the 3rd. Good effort though, was always a tough ask.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

You'd think Wimbledon would give McGee a bloody WC at this stage. He has as much chance of any of the Brits that get one at winning a R1 match. He'd probably get a bit of decent crowd support too. Remember when Niland played a R1 match there a few years back, he had great support.

Andy at 1

1 Andy Murray (GB), 2 Novak Djokovic (Ser), 3 Roger Federer (Swi), 4 Rafael Nadal (Spa), 5 Stan Wawrinka (Swi), 6 Milos Raonic (Can), 7 Marin Cilic (Cro), 8 Dominic Thiem (Aut), 9 Kei Nishikori (Jpn), 10 Alexander Zverev (Ger), 11 Tomas Berdych (Cze), 12 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (Fra), 13 Grigor Dimitrov (Bul), 14 Lucas Pouille (Fra), 15 Gael Monfils (Fra), 16 Gilles Muller (Lux)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

For the Federer fan I am, an insurance bet is needed in case either of the unthinkables happen. Tenner on Nadal at 9/2 and tenner on Djokovic at 11/2. That way if either of those creep closer to Roger's record I have some financial compensation.

Don't fancy Nadal at all for Wimbledon. It's a bet made out of pure fear. Djokovic price is generous tbh.

Nadal has a good 1st rd match I see him possibly making the final.

I think Andy exits week one. I just have that feeling that there is very little form with him.

Nole and Andy out week 1 would be a nice earner!

Id be amazed if murray went out in the first 3 rounds tbh

Lets see the draws first anyway. Maybe the most significant slam draw in years

Chivito550 wrote: »
    For the Federer fan I am, an insurance bet is needed in case either of the unthinkables happen. Tenner on Nadal at 9/2 and tenner on Djokovic at 11/2. That way if either of those creep closer to Roger's record I have some financial compensation.

Don't fancy Nadal at all for Wimbledon. It's a bet made out of pure fear. Djokovic price is generous tbh.

Djokovic is an amazing price really. You can never count out such a top sportsman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Nadal on grass is just such an unknown at this stage though. Playing his best tennis in years but whether he can actually contend is anyone's guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Konta beats Kerber in straight sets at Eastbourne. Her first win over a World No.1. Great win for Jo!! Hope she does well at Wimbledon.

Halep had a chance of becoming #1 but lost in three to Wozniacki. Caroline's through to the SFs where she'll play Watson, who's played really well this week.

Advertisement