Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2017 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The women's event at Wimbledon will be interesting with the return of Kvitova and Azarenka.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Kvitova confirmed that she'll be back for Wimbledon. Wonderful news considering we were initially worrying her career might be over. If she's in any way fit then she could be a title contender.

I bet the other women are raging. Serena out and Sharapova's situation unknown as of yet, was the perfect time for someone to make a move at a Slam. Then Azarenka and Kvitova come flying back in. :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

In other news, Margaret Court is still a cúnt.

This as well is just... wow.
    https://twitter.com/caseydellacqua/status/867855363760107522

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I seen that this morning. And she wrote another letter about Qantas supporting gay marriage. But the Dellacqua one really takes the biscuit!!! Did she really have to bring Casey and Amanda into it? She could have just generalised it, mention no names, but no she went personal. I was so angry reading it.:mad:

Court is a product of her time and an absolute tool. Other people might have similar views but they keep them to themselves. Not send in letters to the newspaper.

I bet lots of people hope Serena breaks her GS record.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

RosyLily wrote: »
    I seen that this morning. And she wrote another letter about Qantas supporting gay marriage. But the Dellacqua one really takes the biscuit!!! Did she really have to bring Casey and Amanda into it? She could have just generalised it, mention no names, but no she went personal. I was so angry reading it.:mad:

Court is a product of her time and an absolute tool. Other people might have similar views but they keep them to themselves. Not send in letters to the newspaper.

I bet lots of people hope Serena breaks her GS record.

The "partner" bit was particularly low I thought, couldn't believe it when I read it.

• Advertisement

Tommy :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Tommy :cool:

That's a horrendous result for Federer, but delighted for Haas

If Roger isn't careful he'll come into WImbledon similar to last year where he was inconsistent and rusty. He only really made the semis due to a joke of a draw and Cilic imploding something spectacular

Either way I think there's way too much giddiness about his chances and I cannot trust any nearly-36 year old to play lights out for 7 rounds anymore.

FWIW I think Andy is in a great position to defend his title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I honesty wouldn't read into anything from that match. If Federer was half pushed whatsoever he would have won this. TBH I'm happy he played the way he did. After the first set he was trying new things with an attitude of 'if it comes off, great. If not, couldn't care less'. If anything this'll give him some more motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Murray loses to lucky loser Jordan Thomson today. 7-6. 6-2. He looked terrible.
    Hard to see him figure in Wimbledon at all. Never seen him look as bad. All a bit weird.

I didn't get to see the Murray match (stupid work!) but he must have been awful. That scoreline is terrible!!:eek: Injury still niggling maybe? I hope he improves before Wimbledon. He's got lots of points to defend in the second half of the season.

• Advertisement

A lot to catch up on..
    Very happy with both Pouille and Muller winning titles on Sunday, particularly Muller, watching him win Sydney at the beginning of the year with his kids present was one of the nicest moments of the year so far. Nice win for Donna Vekic in Nottingham too, it's kinda surprising that she's reached five finals. Hard to believe she reached her first almost five years ago when she was just 16! Wouldn't be too worried about Federer's loss to Haas in Stuttgart. If he loses prematurely this week also I may raise an eyebrow... but I still think he'll probably be the one to beat at Wimbledon :(

And on to this week..
    Bouchard losing to Schiavone on grass is a bit depressing. It's kinda funny after all her smart comments, she still needed Sharapova to make her in any way relevant this year. I see Lisicki won on her return, albeit by retirement. Should be interesting to see if she's learnt anything with all her time off, she can still be a factor at Wimbledon if she wants to, but perhaps not this year.

As I've mentioned before, I'm very excited by Azarenka's return in Mallorca. I expected her to take the title, but she's a game away from losing to Ozaki when they return tomorrow, so I'm not sure. I didn't get to see any of the mach but apparently she's looking in great shape, as good as 2012 in fact, so I have high hopes. Happy to see Petra won in Birmingham today, hope she keeps it going. Kerber probably did the right thing to withdraw, she had a horror draw anyway. Also pleased to see Zverev won today, but disappointed to see he's growing out his hair again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 55,002 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I didn't get to see the Murray match (stupid work!) but he must have been awful. That scoreline is terrible!!:eek: Injury still niggling maybe? I hope he improves before Wimbledon. He's got lots of points to defend in the second half of the season.

He is now gone from favorite to joint favorite with Roger at 11-4.

Nadal at 5-1 is tasty.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Murray loses to lucky loser Jordan Thomson today. 7-6. 6-2. He looked terrible.
    Hard to see him figure in Wimbledon at all. Never seen him look as bad. All a bit weird.

To be fair he made a slam semi a couple of weeks ago on his worst surface so I wouldn't be that dramatic..

Murray is having serious hunger issues outside of the slams. The burden of number one seems to have weighed heavily on him and he's barely even exerting himself in some matches. Going into wimbledon in such a manner is hardly ideal but then again he's hardly going to lie down so easily in a major so probably best not to jump to conclusions

Given the co-favourite is 36 in a month, the third favourite is in the slump of his life and the next two favourites havent made a quarter in the last 4years or ever made a semi, respectively, it would still be foolish to completely write off murray

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Djokovic playing Eastbourne next week

When is the last time Novak played the week before a slam? Just when you thought you'd seen it all with him

He really is all over the place this year, he badly needs a break.

Surely he'll opt not to defend his rogers cup and instead take plenty of time off until cinci.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Coco:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Dan Evans tests positive for Cocaine.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Dan Evans tests positive for Cocaine.

Just read about it on Twitter. What a foolish thing to do. It'll be interested to see what his punishment will be. Gasquet is the only player I remember testing positive for cocaine...different circumstances of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Just read about it on Twitter. What a foolish thing to do. It'll be interested to see what his punishment will be. Gasquet is the only player I remember testing positive for cocaine...different circumstances of course!

Martina Hingis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Not that surprising of news, he is an obnoxious bloke, who if suspended could miss his peak tennis years. Clown.

• Advertisement

Dan Evans is an utter moron, and I'm not just talking about his cocaine use. Won't be too upset if he gets a lengthy ban, couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

I see the British media trying to spin him as a "working class hero". They're so biased it's unbelievable.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Martina Hingis

Completely forgot about Hingis!! Looked up the story online to refresh my memory...it was 10 years ago!:eek:

Great to see Petra into the Birmingham final!! She'll play Ashleigh Barty tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

And Julia Gorgeous rolls into the Mallorca final :) . Thought we'd seen the best of her.

To think some speculated that Petra's career could be over, it's truly magnificent to see her in a final in only her second tournament back. Have to think she'll be in the mix at Wimbledon.

Great to see Zverev back in the Halle final, here's to hoping he gets the Lords work done against Federer :cool:

Handy win for Federer in the end, no chance of any rust now heading into Wimbledon

He's the most likely winner given the form of Murray and Novak. It might be the best chance since the US Open 2014 though of a new winner but then again not all that much candidates jump out. In terms of non-Wimbledon winners Raonic and Kyrgios are struggling with form and fitness and Cilic can't ever be overly trusted. Zverev isn't there yet while Stan and Thiem mainly struggle on the low bouncing, quicker grass

What a return this has been for Petra, a genuine contender at Wimbledon now.

The thing about Kvitova's time way was there wasn't really anything stopping her from keeping her fitness up so as long as her wrist is fine, which it appears to be, she has to be considered a contender for Wimbledon.

I mean that compared to someone like Azarenka who would have had a large period of time where she couldn't keep her fitness up to her usual levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

The thing about Kvitova's time way was there wasn't really anything stopping her from keeping her fitness up so as long as her wrist is fine, which it appears to be, she has to be considered a contender for Wimbledon.

I mean that compared to someone like Azarenka who would have had a large period of time where she couldn't keep her fitness up to her usual levels.

I also read somewhere that kvitova's team really concentrated on improving her movement and fitness during the layoff. Considering this was always a weakness of hers id say she is a serious contender at Wimbledon.

Azarenka should start firing on all cylinders in time for the us open. Needs as much match practice as she can get prior to it.

• Advertisement

ahayes84 wrote: »
    Azarenka should start firing on all cylinders in time for the us open. Needs as much match practice as she can get prior to it.

Yeah, I didn't expect much from her until they get back on hard courts. A few tough matches at Wimbledon should set her up nicely.

Advertisement