Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Sales

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I live in a smallish town and I went down to the local petrol station at 9pm to get some milk. Beside the petrol station there is a drive through McDonalds. There was a tail back of about 15 cars. I laughed out loud. Very Christmasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

learn_more wrote: »
    Sure, I could have gone out walking in the gloomy weather, or gone bungee jumping maybe.

Today was a beautiful winter spring day out it certainly was not gloomy. Was a lovely day for a walk.

As for the shopping today I did not go anywhere near the shops as every shop in the town I am in was closed and to go to the city would be a whole day gone. I will go check out the sales at some stage and hopefully get a few nice bargains but am in no hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

One of these people is me!

I was in the queue for the 6am opening of Next. It is a fantastic sale with bargains far too good to miss out. I can't afford to walk away from a 50% discount on kids clothing. And before anyone dives in and says that it's last seasons tat that nobody wants; it's not. It was the clothes that were full price in the lead up.

I was chatting up one staff member who told me that they started at 5.30, and that early morning shift of staff were finishing at midday. He was a young fella so delighted with the extra money. And they still had the full day ahead of them to laze around or spend time with family.

Personally speaking, I was home in bed at 8.30, up again at 11.30, spent a few hours with siblings, nieces and nephews and have been lazing and eating in front of the fire since. Oh and I took the dog for a walk. So pretty much the same day as the rest of ye, except with bargains!

If it's something you need then it is a bargain.

Do kids clothes really have seasons and go out of fashion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

One of these people is me!

I was in the queue for the 6am opening of Next. It is a fantastic sale with bargains far too good to miss out. I can't afford to walk away from a 50% discount on kids clothing. And before anyone dives in and says that it's last seasons tat that nobody wants; it's not. It was the clothes that were full price in the lead up.

I was chatting up one staff member who told me that they started at 5.30, and that early morning shift of staff were finishing at midday. He was a young fella so delighted with the extra money. And they still had the full day ahead of them to laze around or spend time with family.

Personally speaking, I was home in bed at 8.30, up again at 11.30, spent a few hours with siblings, nieces and nephews and have been lazing and eating in front of the fire since. Oh and I took the dog for a walk. So pretty much the same day as the rest of ye, except with bargains!

My daughter got a days work at the Next sale. She's 16 and was delighted to do it for the money but it did mean that I had to get up to drive her there for 5.45 am. Big queues at that time but to be fair Next do have a really good sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Last couple of years we went to panto in Gaiety with kids on St. Stephen's and I like that more than just being lazy around the house. Especially because Christmas eve tends to be very relaxed too. Anyway there were plenty of people out and while I can understand people shopping in sales I still find it utterly pathetic to queue in front of a shop to have first pick of stuff on sale.

With exception of grocery shopping and some unexpected stuff that's needed we do almost all shopping online. I find shopping centres especially depressing and avoid them most of time.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    My daughter got a days work at the Next sale. She's 16 and was delighted to do it for the money but it did mean that I had to get up to drive her there for 5.45 am. Big queues at that time but to be fair Next do have a really good sale.

Been there, done that 30 min drive @ 4.30am and I feel your pain! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My own view is that if you're queueing at 5am on a st Stephens morning you've probably got to ask yourself what you're really doing there.

Can understand people looking for clothes, especially kids clothes, but is it really necessary? With other outlets to get clothes - sales are on virtually all year round, discounters like tk max and online, is it really necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What if the staff don't want all that time off but are forced to take it? That's a lot of annual leave or unpaid time off. What if you don't celebrate Christmas?

Not everyone wants all the days off that people here are insisting that they should be getting.

Get a different job so. Why should a business open where it won't have much business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Nah. I used to go when I was a young un and we used to get gift vouchers and cash off various relatives, but these days I can't be arsed.

• Advertisement

What if the staff don't want all that time off but are forced to take it? That's a lot of annual leave or unpaid time off. What if you don't celebrate Christmas?

Not everyone wants all the days off that people here are insisting that they should be getting.

Come on who doesn't want time off at Christmas. I have two weeks off every year at Christmas and it's not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Come on who doesn't want time off at Christmas.

Maybe people who are paid by the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Come on who doesn't want time off at Christmas. I have two weeks off every year at Christmas and it's not enough.

Personally speaking I'd rather time off in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Don't next have staff there all night prepping the items to go out on sale?

Personally speaking I'd rather time off in the summer.

I have that too (well I've lots of annual leave and can take it when I want) but if I had to choose I'd much prefer time off at Christmas as all my friends and family are also off so much nicer and easier to spend time with people. I also love Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

Are people not seriously sick of shopping??? The best bargain i ever bought was my couch years ago so i can sit my ass down on it this time of year! queuing in the cold for some poxy jacket is insane! I have lord of the rings to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Planned on hitting Galway today. Purely because the weather is nice. Woke up this morning and decided "nah, there's nothing I want" and went back to sleep. I hate shops. I prefer pubs, but they are not an option as I'm driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Get a different job so. Why should a business open where it won't have much business.

It seems retail staff can't win. They have to work, they should get a different job. They have to take time off, they should get a different job.

If they won't have much business during the post Christmas sales then they might as well shut up shop altogether, never mind just for the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

You are aware that not everyone celebrates Christmas aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I would love to have had the will power to get of my arse and go shopping early this morning. Too wrecked though.

Need a few pairs of jeans and other bits and bobs. But could not be going out when the crowds arrive. Just not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

As much as I love Christmas Eve and Christmas day, I can't stand the rest of it. It goes on far too long and I crave a bit of normality.

In terms of people who have to work Stephens day, some mind it, some don't. The whole build up to it is stressful, and being in the house for days on end would bore the arse off you. I for one am grateful that some places are open on Stephens day and days that follow.

There I said it. I like the shops being open. Saying that around here you might as well have kicked a puppy in the face. But I'm not taking it back :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

queuing in the cold for some poxy jacket is insane! I have lord of the rings to watch!

Id rather queue for 9 hours in the freezing cold, than watching that shte!!!!

Advertisement