Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Sales

Options
  • 26-12-2016 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

Will you be hitting the shops today, maybe having a look online? No way for me - I've some family to visit, then it's all about the football, maybe a bit of the racing, and a few beers. The last few days have been stressful preparation for hosting Christmas dinner and getting this place presentable. St Stephen's is reserved for relaxing and picking at the leftovers. Also, I don't think it's fair on retail staff to have to work today (esp if the shop is open).

Will you be bargain hunting on St Stephen's Day? 170 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    Yes - online only
    11% 19 votes
    No - having a Football / Racing / hungover day
    24% 41 votes
    Atari sales
    64% 110 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I've never been shopping on St Stephen's day before but what kind of shops would I expect to be open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Never. Always avoid shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The bookies will be busy today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

The Raptor wrote: »
    I've never been shopping on St Stephen's day before but what kind of shops would I expect to be open?

Pretty much all of them.

I'll never go to the shops on St. Stephen's Day. I wish no one would. Leave retail staff have the extra day off.

And before people argue that not everyone has the luxury of having Christmas Day off, I know, I was on call yesterday but there's a need for me to be available, there's no need for shops to be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm after a new fridge freezer so if not today I will during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I struggle to think of a worse way to spend today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Nope never.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭Patser

Years ago I worked in toy shops at Christmas time. I dreaded Stephens Day. It was a non stop line of parents blaming you for ruining Christmas because Santa's toy was faulty or kids with Christmas money and no concept if what it was worth - 'My uncle gave me this £5 note and I want to buy this playstation'. So non stop arguments with people, all stressed after a long queue.

And the extra sting of knowing all your mates were off, relaxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I can't think of much more depressing than spending Stephen's Day wandering around a retail park looking for supposed bargains. And I intend to spend the day in the bookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

There now seems to be more days with sales than without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I like going into town over Christmas but have never been in on Stephens Day, traditionally that was pub and house party. Shops should be closed alright, staff have had weeks of dealing with stressed out shoppers, they could do with an extra day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Should pub stuff not be allowed today off too?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's very little on sale on Stephenseses Day that won't be on sale at the same or better price another time in the not too distant future.

Not my main reason for not going but I just don't see the point in shortening Christmas for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Black Friday has replaced most of these sales no?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

More to life than buying crap

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Should pub stuff not be allowed today off too?

Pub stuff and the staff looking after the stuff should have today off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

All this sales furore on St Stephens Day really irritates me. Why not let the shops stay closed one more day and give retail staff another day off? Spend the time instead with friends or family, watch some sport or have a drink. It's consumerism gone mad and out society is an ass for endorsing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The irony here. What's the difference between mass consumerism on the 24th than the 26th? We get it some people hate ahopping. I think pubs and shops should be closed today as it happens. Today encompasses a lot of what Christmas is these days one big piss up.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Don't know how anyone could face shops again on Stephen's Day. Also think it's very unfair on the staff, they've been ran off their feet and then back after one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Even my shopaholic mother-in-law doesn't go shopping on Stephens day. I'm actually surprised that has never been the lead story on six-one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    More to life than buying crap

There sure is,but I'm afraid rampant consumerism is a tsunami that can't be stopped

We now live in a world where online sales start at 4pm on Xmas Day. People can't even take Xmas day off without buying stuff.

Many are convinced their sad lives might be made better if they buy something.

Not a chance, bookies in the early afternoon and big session in the pub from early evening until what ever time the night club closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

theteal wrote: »
    I struggle to think of a worse way to spend today!

The bookies for me would be worse. Never understand the fascination and the number of them next to pubs....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

So retail staff should have the day off, but **** the staff in pubs and bookies? What about guards, doctors, nurses, ESB workers, etc etc?

There's always going to be someone working whatever day of the year. If they don't like it they should find a different job. Also people do realise that these people do get time off, just not at the exact same time as you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Oh look...I bought a jumper for €10 less than its full price and I won't be wearing it in 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

NIMAN wrote: »
    There sure is,but I'm afraid rampant consumerism is a tsunami that can't be stopped

We now live in a world where online sales start at 4pm on Xmas Day. People can't even take Xmas day off without buying stuff.

Many are convinced their sad lives might be made better if they buy something.

id have to agree with noam chomsky on this one, i.e. we are being told we live unfulfilled lives unless we consume. what a load of crap! spend some time with your families and friends instead. its far more important and worthwhile.
    So retail staff should have the day off, but **** the staff in pubs and bookies? What about guards, doctors, nurses, ESB workers, etc etc?

There's always going to be someone working whatever day of the year. If they don't like it they should find a different job. Also people do realise that these people do get time off, just not at the exact same time as you do?

the only problem, reality is far more complicated than that, in this world of increasing 'worker insecurity'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats the story with amazon do they have an online sale???

fryup wrote: »
    whats the story with amazon do they have an online sale???

Hang on there til I go on to Amazon and find out for you....

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Shopping? Ugh....but there's food and tv and games and all kinds of fun things to do today that don't involve sharp elbowed bargain hunters. :cool:

• Advertisement

Sorry fryup. Took me a while to log on to the Internet there.

Amazon do indeed have a sale. Sponsored by Vodafone for some reason.

Advertisement