Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Don't go near the shops myself today but I'm not going to take up the cudgels on behalf of retail workers in the name of striking a blow against 'consumerism'.

I don't know every retail worker in the country or their views on doing a shift today. Maybe a lot of them don't care or want to earn a few quid or more commission, who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

No thanks. I have a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

In town ATM and its packed. You'd swear they were giving stuff away for free. Not hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

SteoL wrote: »
    In town ATM

Are you handing out money?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope, never. Aside from the fact that there's rarely any real bargains I never have any money after the Christmas spend anyway and 5/6 weeks to payday.

By which time of course the "sales" are over anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm in work today... i'd prefer that to a day of shopping to be honest!! I'd prefer to be on the piss too but sure, you can't have it all :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Balmed Out wrote: »
    The bookies for me would be worse. Never understand the fascination and the number of them next to pubs....

That's because alcoholism and Gambling addictions go hand in hand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

For that you need money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I don't know every retail worker in the country or their views on doing a shift today. Maybe a lot of them don't care or want to earn a few quid or more commission, who knows.

Shops should sort that out by asking staff of their availability, and a decision on opening being made at least a month beforehand. I know a lot of people where I work said they wouldn't mind going in today - it's tomorrow they want off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the only problem, reality is far more complicated than that, in this world of increasing 'worker insecurity'.

It's fairly simple really. Needs some govt. regulation to stop it because otherwise the shops that do open get 1st mover advantage. That is what has happened over the years as these stock sell offs moved earlier and earlier (anyone remember the "January sales"?). [edit: and as you point out most workers are quite powerless at the moment, and have no collective ability whatsoever to prevent these demands from employers].

Had this discussion here last year, but most seem to think it "nanny-statism" or somehow a slippery slope to full (play evil music theme) "communism" to have the govt. stop people shopping for few days.

Someone told me yesterday that Next was open at 5am... what mad eejit would be out shopping at 5am on St Stephens day ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

its the staff i feel sorry for, do they have any choice in the matter??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well I'm working today.

And it sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

No way. Not that I never sales shop but there's much better things to be doing at this time of year, like working on building up my ass adiposity. ;)

My rule for sales shopping: if you wouldn't want the item at full price, don't buy it at sale price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Should pub stuff not be allowed today off too?

No. It's the one night of the year I go to my local!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

its the staff i feel sorry for, do they have any choice in the matter??

I'm pretty sure they would know the score before applying for such a job, the early morning Next sales are hardly a recent phenomenon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The bookies will be busy today!
    wanna bet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm in the market for a small/medium tv for under 400 quid, if anyone spots a deal let me know plz xx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm in the market for a small/medium tv for under 400 quid, if anyone spots a deal let me know plz xx
    :eek:

Target price for a 40" bargain is a little over two fifty, you just have to wait and wait and then pounce. Amazon / Tecso.co.uk

£400 or even €400 you'll pickup from Argos / Lidl / Aldi / Tesco on a regular basis , keep an eye on BA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

All shopped out. There's nothing I really want to buy. Need to buy a new ceramic hob at some stage but don't think they're too expensive, certainly not enough of a discount to get me to the shops today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

No football, no hangover and no racing. I'm having a "watching Back to the Future, while making two selection boxes disappear" kinda day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Wasn't planning on it but had a panic attack about my outfit for going out tonight so had to buy something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I need to get a Sony camera in the next couple of weeks. It's in the Harvey Norman big sale :D Over €100 more that on Amazon & that isn't even a sale price :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

RayM wrote: »
    No football, no hangover and no racing. I'm having a "watching Back to the Future, while making two selection boxes disappear" kinda day.

Trow in a good walk as well you will fell better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

So it seems we've all got pity for the poor retail staff and use their plight as some defence for not doing shopping meanwhile no such pity exists for the pub/bookie employee cause we all want to go there and either gamble or piss our money away on a hangover. Makes sense....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In all fairness you have to plan ahead as there only 364 days left till next Christmas.

So it seems we've all got pity for the poor retail staff and use their plight as some defence for not doing shopping meanwhile no such pity exists for the pub/bookie employee cause we all want to go there and either gamble or piss our money away on a hangover. Makes sense....

Well the thread is about Christmas sales not the pub, I don't go shopping in pubs on Stephens Day either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

No; I would never shop on St Stephen's Day. Pure waste of time and money. I'm at home watching movies and some sports for today.

I read this little gem on Facebook via thejournal.ie comments section in an article about the Stephen's Day sales.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1492342234111132&id=161092283902807

Right Price Tiles & Wood Flooring are closed from the 20th of December right through to January 2nd. Great news for the staff getting time off for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I don't get the mad dash to go shopping today. Today is for cheese and sandwiches and wine and movies and pyjamas. Not for shopping.

Advertisement