Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A sleep in, the first in over a week, catch up with family, now watching James Bond and following the football. Pub and gig later.

Very last place I want to be is going around the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Well the thread is about Christmas sales not the pub, I don't go shopping in pubs on Stephens Day either :)

I know but one of the reasons being put forward not to go shopping is to think of the staff in retail who have to work. In the same breath people are saying it's a day for the pub and bookies yet there's no faux outrage at them having to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I know but one of the reasons being put forward not to go shopping is to think of the staff in retail who have to work. In the same breath people are saying it's a day for the pub and bookies yet there's no faux outrage at them having to work.

Fair enough. I'm in work too so to be honest, I wish everyone was off!

Shopping is not necessary and there is no need for shops to be opening today but betting and drinking are required with it being one of the biggest racing days of the year and a big night out also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

As pointed out, some Next branches opened at 5am. That means that staff working in those shops couldn't even enjoy their Christmas night because they'd have to be in work at 4. That's not right, whatever way anyone tries to paint it.

• Advertisement

As pointed out, some Next branches opened at 5am. That means that staff working in those shops couldn't even enjoy their Christmas night because they'd have to be in work at 4. That's not right, whatever way anyone tries to paint it.

I'm not trying to paint it as right I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    More to life than buying crap

And what about pre christmas?
    feardeas wrote: »
    Don't know how anyone could face shops again on Stephen's Day. Also think it's very unfair on the staff, they've been ran off their feet and then back after one day.

I didn't do any shopping before Christmas and was glad to get out for an hour today to shake off the claustrophobia of yesterday.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id have to agree with noam chomsky on this one, i.e. we are being told we live unfulfilled lives unless we consume. what a load of crap! spend some time with your families and friends instead. its far more important and worthwhile.

Don't get why people think that one must spend time with family and friends specifically on this day. Even so, wouldn't an evening be long enough to do such instead of the whole day.
    fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

its the staff i feel sorry for, do they have any choice in the matter??

People who work in retail as in hospitality are well accustomed to working unsociable hours. Why should St. Stephens day be any different?
    Additionally ppl who work in retail don't get paid very much and I'm sure a fair few of them would be glad of the extra pay.
    mariaalice wrote: »
    Trow in a good walk as well you will fell better for it.

I enjoyed my good walk around the shops today. About an hour and half. Which isn't much of a chunk out of the day, is it ?
    Lucyfur wrote: »
    I don't get the mad dash to go shopping today. Today is for cheese and sandwiches and wine and movies and pyjamas. Not for shopping.

A whole day indoors yesterday is quite enough of that sorta thing for a lot people, including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Tis a day for reading/wine/open fire/heading out with the wren/racing.

Not shopping.

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Tis a day for reading/wine/open fire/heading out with the wren/racing.

Not shopping.

Does anyone actually do any of the above today seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Does anyone actually do any of the above today seriously?

Im doing the wine/fire/reading bit right now!

• Advertisement

Im just home from working in a bookies all day.

I would love to go out tonight but I'm working again in the morning. Couldn't risk being over the limit. Only had a couple of drinks yesterday for exact same reason.

I'm also exhausted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

No I've never been shopping on Stephen's day.

Usually Stephen's day here is like a more relaxed version of Christmas Day. Not that Christmas day is a pressure but you know, you don't have to cook the turkey and ham and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

For me St.Stephens day is an extension of Christmas day. A day to lounge about and do sweet fcuk all. It won't be long before things go back to normal being busy and running around from one end of the week to the next. I don't to disrupt this lazy/fun time. Getting loads of things done today - game playing, reading, and other hobbies.

About these St Stephens day sales, the majority of the comments here from people says they would be keeping away from the sales for today. Something came up on Facebook on the liberal.ie or some place about St. Stephen's day sales and the majority of the comments there has been on the same line as here. So who are these people who go out to the sales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Everything is about consumerism nowadays

Every day a chance to sell more stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

learn_more wrote: »
    I didn't do any shopping before Christmas and was glad to get out for an hour today to shake off the claustrophobia of yesterday.

Don't get why people think that one must spend time with family and friends specifically on this day. Even so, wouldn't an evening be long enough to do such instead of the whole day.

By the same extension, you don't have to go to the shops to get out and have some time to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Won't be going shopping myself. I find the older I get the less of a consumerist I am, and the more I can do without.
    Like a previous poster said, there's a whole lot more to life.

Eoin

For me St.Stephens day is an extension of Christmas day. A day to lounge about and do sweet fcuk all. It won't be long before things go back to normal being busy and running around from one end of the week to the next. I don't to disrupt this lazy/fun time. Getting loads of things done today - game playing, reading, and other hobbies.

About these St Stephens day sales, the majority of the comments here from people says they would be keeping away from the sales for today. Something came up on Facebook on the liberal.ie or some place about St. Stephen's day sales and the majority of the comments there has been on the same line as here. So who are these people who go out to the sales?
    Well if people are posting about it on Facebook it's game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

My kettle's just gone poof! so the fact that the same model's on sale is handy.

My kettle's just gone poof!

Did it decide it was a teapot?

By the same extension, you don't have to go to the shops to get out and have some time to yourself.

Sure, I could have gone out walking in the gloomy weather, or gone bungee jumping maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Did it decide it was a teapot?

It decided it was a selfish bas***d when I needed tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I go clothes shopping once a year in the after christmas sales. Not on St Stephens Day tho becuase I like to relax a bit. It's like an extension of christmas day for me.

Sure, I could have gone out walking in the gloomy weather, or gone bungee jumping maybe.

Or anything else.

Also, it wasn't that gloomy. Not even west of the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Work in retail myself, I was asked if I would work today, we had a choice, I'm glad of the extra cash, it wasn't actually that busy! I do appreciate all the sympathy in the thread though but it was cool so no need for it! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

One of these people is me!

I was in the queue for the 6am opening of Next. It is a fantastic sale with bargains far too good to miss out. I can't afford to walk away from a 50% discount on kids clothing. And before anyone dives in and says that it's last seasons tat that nobody wants; it's not. It was the clothes that were full price in the lead up.

I was chatting up one staff member who told me that they started at 5.30, and that early morning shift of staff were finishing at midday. He was a young fella so delighted with the extra money. And they still had the full day ahead of them to laze around or spend time with family.

Personally speaking, I was home in bed at 8.30, up again at 11.30, spent a few hours with siblings, nieces and nephews and have been lazing and eating in front of the fire since. Oh and I took the dog for a walk. So pretty much the same day as the rest of ye, except with bargains!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Right Price Tiles & Wood Flooring are closed from the 20th of December right through to January 2nd. Great news for the staff getting time off for Christmas.

What if the staff don't want all that time off but are forced to take it? That's a lot of annual leave or unpaid time off. What if you don't celebrate Christmas?

Not everyone wants all the days off that people here are insisting that they should be getting.

Or anything else.

Also, it wasn't that gloomy. Not even west of the Shannon.

Oh, I didn't realise you lived where I do. I've been caught out lying. How embarrassing. This day next year, if we have similar weather, I'll forgo a jaunt around the shops, and do a round on the golf course. Just to keep people happy safe in the knowledge that the shops are shut
    Work in retail myself, I was asked if I would work today, we had a choice, I'm glad of the extra cash, it wasn't actually that busy! I do appreciate all the sympathy in the thread though but it was cool so no need for it! Cheers.

Do you realise your spoiling everyone's dreamy eyed idea of xmas lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

Whats Christmas without a dirty rush for the designer handbag sales in BT !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Next would have to pay me to queue outside their shop at 6am on Stephen's Day! You'd want your head checked!

• Advertisement

Oh, I didn't realise you lived where I do. I've been caught out lying. How embarrassing. This day next year, if we have similar weather, I'll forgo a jaunt around the shops, and do a round on the golf course.

Hurray. It might be better for escaping the claustrophobia of being indoors by being in the shops.

But it also may be a good walk spoiled.

Advertisement