Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Southend in June is as flat as you'll find, is Essex exotic enough for you? :p

Woddle, are you still running the Racepix 5k and are we doubling down on it? We can cancel the bet or move it on to something else if you want?

Don't think the racepix 5k is going to happen, my aunty is throwing a house warming/engagement party down in Roundwood the night before, so lots of drink to be had.

I'm going to have a crack at the Tallaght 5 miler, I'd be open to a time suggestion from you :D I've another party the night before but shouldn't be too bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Southend in June is as flat as you'll find, is Essex exotic enough for you? :p

Funny you mention Essex, that rubbish the only way is essex show was just on after CSI. Would LOVE to go there... :eek:
    Woddle wrote: »
    Don't think the racepix 5k is going to happen, my aunty is throwing a house warming/engagement party down in Roundwood the night before, so lots of drink to be had.

I'm going to have a crack at the Tallaght 5 miler, I'd be open to a time suggestion from you :D I've another party the night before but shouldn't be too bad.

33:30 :pac: Did you do Rathfarnham?

33:30 :pac: Did you do Rathfarnham?

No didn't do Rathfarnham, Emily was racing out in the Phoenix park. I passed you in the car as you and the other 2 were coming up Wellington road.

33:30, how I'd love that.
    PB is 33'07 and Sportsworld this year was 38'30 so why don't we split the difference :D 35:48

I think I'm somewhere between 36-37'30, hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

33:30, how I'd love that.
    PB is 33'07 and Sportsworld this year was 38'30 so why don't we split the difference :D 35:48

I think I'm somewhere between 36-37'30, hard to know

Sub 36 so?

Sub 36 so?

I'll take that.
    I just noticed I havn't raced since the end of July so it really is time to get the finger out.

• Advertisement

Up to the track tonight, I'm base building so kept it handy enough.
    3 laps easy and then 1 lap a little quicker, 5.25 miles in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Hmmmmmm, you've gone missing on a cetain thread:confused:;)

Yep I have and I've been eating so much crap, just checked my weight and 171 still so gotta be happy with that...but... my wife and I reckon I look heavier..I'm putting it down to bloating :D

Month|2011
    March|25
    April|100
    May|143
    June|138
    July|149
    August|127
    September|54

Well I've finally got my act together in September but as you can see from above it's still been shocking... but after todays fantastic rain soacked 5 miles I feel reenergised :D

Gotta find a good group in Tallaght to hang out of, when I'm there on Tue and Thurs there doesn't seem to be too many groups, there's one lad with a pony tail who looks the biz but he's aiming for Dublin and is alot lot faster than me, might have a chat with him after Dublin and see if I can join him for reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

there's one lad with a pony tail who looks the biz but he's aiming for Dublin and is alot lot faster than me, might have a chat with him after Dublin and see if I can join him for reps.

Show a bit of leg, it apparently works every time! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Gotta find a good group in Tallaght to hang out of, when I'm there on Tue and Thurs there doesn't seem to be too many groups, there's one lad with a pony tail who looks the biz but he's aiming for Dublin and is alot lot faster than me, might have a chat with him after Dublin and see if I can join him for reps.

You might have a word with cwgatling or jacquib. They will prob be able to steer you in the right direction in terms of groups etc(ashamed to say with work i dont get down as much as I should)

Whats the target for Barca?

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    You might have a word with cwgatling or jacquib. They will prob be able to steer you in the right direction in terms of groups etc(ashamed to say with work i dont get down as much as I should)

Whats the target for Barca?

Cheers for that I'll be sure to locate them.

I decided on the Berlin half instead. 26 weeks from Monday. I'm going to follow P&D marathon schedule and see how I go. No idea about what time I'd be capable of but I'd like to go under 1:29 but don't really know how feasible that'll be. Past winters have shown me up to be a fair weather runner in every sense :D

Cheers for that I'll be sure to locate them.

I decided on the Berlin half instead. 26 weeks from Monday. I'm going to follow P&D marathon schedule and see how I go. No idea about what time I'd be capable of but I'd like to go under 1:29 but don't really know how feasible that'll be. Past winters have shown me up to be a fair weather runner in every sense :D

Think you need a HTFU tunney type trainer to keep you in line and consistent maybe Mrs. Woddle can hit you across the head with the P & D book (or better yet I can loan her "The Lore of Running" to use) once the motivation starts to waver:D

Think you need a HTFU tunney type trainer to keep you in line and consistent maybe Mrs. Woddle can hit you across the head with the P & D book (or better yet I can loan her "The Lore of Running" to use) once the motivation starts to waver:D

:D
    I was just about to edit my post but you quoted it. I was going to remove the time as it's time to be a doer rather than a talker and event that statement is one of a talker :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I was just about to edit my post but you quoted it. I was going to remove the time as it's time to be a doer rather than a talker and event that statement is one of a talker :D
    You have talked the talk now its time to run it ;)

Rather than edit it live up to it; let that time fuel you for the next 26 weeks. Make that motivate you to get out the days you feel are a struggle the fact that now people know the time is out there.

(or abuse the mod powers and edit both mine and your comments :()

shels4ever wrote: »
    You have talked the talk

For the last three years :D
    I'm a great man for the plans but following them not so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

For the last three years :D
    I'm a great man for the plans but following them not so much
    Consistency Consistency Consistency ;) thats all i'll say :). It's my moto for the next 7 months now.

(or abuse the mod powers and edit both mine and your comments :()

Nah
    Whats different this time is joining Tallaght just have to find a few running groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I'll bet Brian a tenner that you'll do 1:29, don't let me down now!;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Big goal Dave. Best of luck with it. Hopefully I won't be too far behind!

• Advertisement

Out early this morning for what was my most enjoyable run this year.
    10 miles in total and it just felt so easy (for once).
    Heart rate average was 149 bpm which is a good 50+ under my max.
    I wish I had my camera with me this morning as the light and views were beautiful as the fog slowly lifted.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118477482

Now off to the little ones xc race.

I was just going to do another easy run but after a couple of hundred meters I decided to run comfortably hard for 5 miles, I was also going to keep my heart rate under 180.

First couple of miles are tough enough
    first mile 7:49 (158)
    second mile 7:42 (174)

next couple of miles are easier
    third mile 7:11 (176)
    fourth mile 7:25 (179)

called it a day here as I was working harder than I would have liked and heart rate was up at 184.
    Average was 7:32, happy enough, 1.7 mile cool down.

I'm just going to do what I like for the next two weeks before following P&D

I finally got my lazy ass out of bed before 6am for a run. I was finding this an easy thing to do back in June but not so much of late and after two weeks worth of failed attempts I finally did it.
    I'd like to give a special thanks to the baby for making this possible :D
    She has been a right pain in the back side lately, waking at 2/3/4/5 am and refusing to go back asleep after 6am.
    Sth had to be done about this and I decided a few nights back to just leave her cry (sounds mean I know) but guess what, it worked. The last 3/4 nights she's been sleeping from 7:30 straight through to 7, which has left me fully refreshed.
    So 5 glorious miles this morning at recovery pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

dave, if you dont follow the plan ill make the short jog down to your house and call you a p*ssy in front of your kids :)

Just a thought, but what about doing a spring marathon instead? No big time goal, it would just allow you get the weight where you want it, get some stamina in the legs and get you into some speedwork again. there are loads to choose from (Barca, Conn, Rotterdam, Paris etc) and it would leave you well placed to tackle any time goal you wanted in the summer (5K - marathon). Might be hard to do the sharp speed work through the winter for the half, whereas the stamina work for the marathon might not suffer as much. You could follow Daniels - id recommend it for someone with young kids on time-management grounds (only), its less prescriptive on a day-by-day basis than P+D - you only worry about your two sessions a week and everything else is easy running. I went from 3:05 (complete with kaboom) to 2:57 just by blindly following the plan over the winter. Changed the way i train completely.

As I said, just a thought......good luck with whatever you decide to do

We will have to get back to sat morning runs soon too.

dave, if you dont follow the plan ill make the short jog down to your house and call you a p*ssy in front of your kids :)

Just a thought, but what about doing a spring marathon instead? No big time goal, it would just allow you get the weight where you want it, get some stamina in the legs and get you into some speedwork again. there are loads to choose from (Barca, Conn, Rotterdam, Paris etc) and it would leave you well placed to tackle any time goal you wanted in the summer (5K - marathon). Might be hard to do the sharp speed work through the winter for the half, whereas the stamina work for the marathon might not suffer as much. You could follow Daniels - id recommend it for someone with young kids on time-management grounds (only), its less prescriptive on a day-by-day basis than P+D - you only worry about your two sessions a week and everything else is easy running. I went from 3:05 (complete with kaboom) to 2:57 just by blindly following the plan over the winter. Changed the way i train completely.

Some good input there and it's much appreciated.
    It's definitely the Berlin half, I have my entry, hotel and out bound flights booked.
    A few reasons for picking the half, the main one being I don't want to do a marathon just yet, the thoughts of 26.2 miles just ain't doing it for me at the moment. Another reason is my wife is coming to Berlin and I want to enjoy the weekend, a few beers, a few city tours and stuff but if I was to do the marathon it would be a case of no drink, no walking and bed early. Not much of a weekend for Jess.
    Another reason is I've never properly raced a half and have a soft PB of 1:44 from the Berlin marathon a few years back.
    I think it'll keep my focus and motivation up throughout winter and then after the half towards the end of April track and graded meets.

Going to stick with P&D just because of I've never given them a proper go whereas this time like Krusty I'm going to follow it religiously. I have JDs book and I do like it so maybe next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

I am not up in Templogue anymore but I will come up for this Boyblunder... we could double team him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Stay away from the marathon bud, the half is fine. Great course too, I'd love to run it one day. Next marathon for you will be sub 3. Don't go near one before then.

Stay away from the marathon bud.

Agreed :D
    5 miles this evening some of it with meno. I really didn't fancy his idea of 800s, I ran fast yesterday and ran this morning so I left him to it and just did the same as last week, a cycle of 3 laps easy pace and the 4th lap at a quicker pace. The faster laps were 91,90,90,87

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Just catching up Dave, best of luck with your goal time in Berlin. Time to HTFU on those cold dark mornings and get out and do it.

did my motivation work:)?

• Advertisement

did my motivation work:)?

Nope :D
    Wednesday-Friday was a wash out.

Saturday - Just under 5 miles at 8:30ish pace

Sunday - 6.5 miles at 9:00ish pace
    I did most of this with Raycun and I was delighted to have the company as I had a couple of Strongbow the night before (the recession has hit :D no Kopparberg for me) and that combined with an early start yesterday for the rugby left me feeling a little uninspired for a Sunday run.

One more week of dossing before the schedule starts.

Advertisement